Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Old 06-26-09, 09:18 PM
mastronaut
Sarcastic Bastid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My ride today 6/26

I rode exactly 3/4 of a mile on a shakedown cruise on my JC Higgins Flightliner.
I happened upon a secluded and beautiful river, where I stopped to take a few photographs.
I hope you enjoy them.

Old 06-28-09, 03:56 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2924 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
Hello Everyone. I am working in So NJ for the summer and lately I have just been using a loop about 12 mi and another one 4mi. yesterday I found a great 18mi loop that goes out in the country, yes NJ has country side. it passes two smnall rural airports. as I passed one with a run way parralell to the road I saw a Cessna 170something make a beautiful touchdown. I rode the same way today and it was even better! lots of bikes on the road.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 06-28-09, 05:01 PM
YoKev
hi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I got a nice 50 mile ride in today with some friends.

We went around the Ashokan Reservoir on 28A to Boiceville, crossed 28, up to Phoenicia, Woodland Valley Campground, and back the same way. It was slightly sticky, but breezy and not too hot. Nice stuff

It was my longest ride with the 700x37's, and they worked fine, even in the pace line...or maybe it's just the motor
Old 06-30-09, 05:55 PM
palladio

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kevinsubaru
I got a nice 50 mile ride in today with some friends.

We went around the Ashokan Reservoir on 28A to Boiceville, crossed 28, up to Phoenicia, Woodland Valley Campground, and back the same way. It was slightly sticky, but breezy and not too hot. Nice stuff

It was my longest ride with the 700x37's, and they worked fine, even in the pace line...or maybe it's just the motor
Now that's a ride I'd like to do! I spent all my childhood summers at my grandparent's place on Tonche mountain, which overlooks the Ashokan a few miles from Boiceville. It's incredibly beautiful countryside. I was up there last week and had pancakes at Sweet Sue's in Phoenicia. Have you ever tried it? Good stuff.

I ignored impending storms and went out for a few laps in Central Park at about 5pm. It started to pour and pretty soon I had the park to myself, except for a few hotdog vendors hunched under umbrellas that gave me strange looks. I was on my 1982 Colnago, and the only other nutjob riding pulled up alongside on a vintage Pinarello and gave me a high five.
Old 07-02-09, 03:52 PM
thenomad
Riding like its 1990

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Brought the '86 on vacation to Pismo Beach, CA and got a nice 35 miler in this AM.
Went up the PCH along the coast to San Luis Obispo and then went back via Orcutt Rd through the countryside. Beautiful!

Proof:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Image006.jpg (96.3 KB, 430 views)
Image008.jpg (97.2 KB, 48 views)
Old 07-02-09, 04:43 PM
Mike Mills

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We're going to go beach camping up in that area later this summer. A bike ride to Cambria and out onto PCH is the plan. I'd like to go to Monterrey again, while we are out on vacation. A bike ride around town and out along the 17 mile drive, ...ahhhhh, it's like heaven!

Heeey! Iz dat poiple handulbah tape? Youz gotta be kiddin' me.
Old 07-02-09, 04:57 PM
thenomad
Riding like its 1990

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Yeah man, the bike is Green and Purple via '86, with purple shadow on the logos even. Why fight it!? Gotta go with it... more zen. Yes, those are the original purple Avocet 25 and purple bottle cages as well. I replaced the original purple brake housing with black though.

Purple tape courtesy of cudak888
Ultegra 9 speed with Ultegra compact crank and octalink BB soon to go on. I have a CF fork awaiting install but the more I ride it the more I may keep the vintage feel.

Here's a better look of the Purple Pimp

Last edited by thenomad; 07-02-09 at 05:09 PM.
Old 07-03-09, 06:37 PM
YoKev
hi

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by palladio
Now that's a ride I'd like to do! I spent all my childhood summers at my grandparent's place on Tonche mountain, which overlooks the Ashokan a few miles from Boiceville. It's incredibly beautiful countryside. I was up there last week and had pancakes at Sweet Sue's in Phoenicia. Have you ever tried it? Good stuff.

I ignored impending storms and went out for a few laps in Central Park at about 5pm. It started to pour and pretty soon I had the park to myself, except for a few hotdog vendors hunched under umbrellas that gave me strange looks. I was on my 1982 Colnago, and the only other nutjob riding pulled up alongside on a vintage Pinarello and gave me a high five.

I know Tonche Mountain and I pass through Boiceville quite often. Sweet Sue's is the best! If you're up in the area again and want to go on a ride, drop me a line and I'll see what I'm up to.

I got out to the Mohonk Preserve today. I got twenty miles in on my patrol, enjoyed the views, and snapped a few pictures along the way

Old 07-03-09, 09:08 PM
Tigerprawn
Pug lover! Dogs and bikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Unfortunately no pictures, but I got off of work and rode the Los Gatos trail to a family BBQ. Ate, drank, relaxed and biked home!
Old 07-04-09, 12:27 PM
YoKev
hi

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I rode in the Saugerties, NY parade today with the local vintage shop in town. With all of the American steel, I just had to ride my British bike

Old 07-04-09, 01:01 PM
mastronaut
Sarcastic Bastid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How American of you....
Old 07-04-09, 01:48 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by mastronaut
How American of you....
Fixed it.

S. J. Perelman
Old 07-04-09, 03:12 PM
Mike Mills

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mastronaut
How American of you....
Yes, indeed, it's truly great to be American.

Happy Fourth of July, everyone.
Old 07-05-09, 11:01 AM
Flying Merkel

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
No pics, but the 4th of July is a Fred riding day. Took the Schwinn Mirada down to the beach and cruised the boardwalk. Thousands of bikes came out of hibernation. Saw a Murray beach cruiser with a 300+ pound lady on board. She was having a great time. Lots of bike boom ten-speeds - they out numbered the fixies.

Wish I had a camera. Nothing beats a Socal girl in a bikini on a classic beach cruiser. Looked like a supermodel convention was in town.
Old 07-05-09, 02:31 PM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 126 Posts
We headed north to the North County Trail in Westchester County, New York. It was voted best cycling and jogging trail by the readers of Westchester Magazine (current issue). It is the old Putnam train line, which also has remnants remaining in Van Cortlandt park in the Bronx. It is totally level, and makes for a nice ride. The building Ms. Cycleheimer is standing in front of is one of the old train stations that was converted into a library.
Attached Images
photoze 104.jpg (99.6 KB, 66 views)
photoze 103.jpg (99.7 KB, 63 views)
Old 07-05-09, 02:42 PM
thenomad
Riding like its 1990

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Flying Merkel
Saw a Murray beach cruiser with a 300+ pound lady on board. ... Wish I had a camera. Nothing beats a Socal girl in a bikini on a classic beach cruiser.
I'm confused... but a Queen song is playing in my head right now...

Old 07-05-09, 02:59 PM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 126 Posts
Originally Posted by Flying Merkel Saw a Murray beach cruiser with a 300+ pound lady on board. ... Wish I had a camera. Nothing beats a Socal girl in a bikini on a classic beach cruiser.

Guess it wasn't this young lady

Old 07-05-09, 05:38 PM
Mike Mills

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You are confused only because you do not understand the iportance of the carriage return and line space he used to separate the paragraphs which you omitted from your "quote". I was in the same area. I know of what he speaks and that he speaks the truth (in both paragraphs). :-)
Old 07-05-09, 05:59 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,567 Times in 1,215 Posts
Went to Bolinas for thier 4th parade. I'm a fixin' to head yonder next year on my cruiser and join the scantly clad dancers for thier celebration. Great music and friendly people.
Old 07-05-09, 06:30 PM
knoregs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flying Merkel
Saw a Murray beach cruiser with a 300+ pound lady on board. She was having a great time. Wish I had a camera. Nothing beats a Socal girl in a bikini on a classic beach cruiser.
Originally Posted by thenomad

Last edited by knoregs; 07-05-09 at 06:35 PM.
Old 07-09-09, 04:25 PM
Splashdown

Bikes: Giant Rock 4000, Suteki 15 Speed, Orion Tour Du Quebec (ladies)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went out for a simple afternoon spin around suburbia here in the Dundas valley. Didnt take a camera, but explored a couple of neighbourhoods that I havent travelled before. Found a free stroller on the curb too! (sign said so!) So, not only was it fun, but productive!
Old 07-11-09, 08:44 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Duke Multiple Myolema Ride, raised funds for blood cancer. Started overcast, sunned up later and got a little warm, but a great day for July in NC. Well supported, well marked, well attended despite a competing ride for the Land Conservancy in an adjacent county (all the Rivendells went there...)

Hills were tough in the first 24 miles, RobbieTunes went off course and ended up doing 80 miles, 52 between rest stops, but did get a chance to see beautiful downtown Carrboro unintentionally. (He may have learned to actually use bottle cages next time)

roccobike rocked through the 50k, and norskagent, lsdmt, and a guy on an 87 Lemans RS completed the official 100k, though most cyclo's clocked it at 67 miles.

It was, unexpectedly, a good day to see C&V bikes. A guy on a beautiful Nishiki Prestige said "I got it at a yard sale," and confessed to knowing nothing about the bike. There was a 1983 Centurion Elite GT, Lotus Odyssey, ldmt's Zunow Hummingbird, the Lemans, norskagent's Paramount, an older Eddie (plus a new black EM woven carbon). It was a good day for triples.

lsdmt and RobbieTunes:

roccobike, Rick M, RobbieTunes, and lsmdt. Note roccobike's BF kit...

It was fun.
Old 07-11-09, 09:26 PM
Tigerprawn
Pug lover! Dogs and bikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
After getting some advice from fellow C&Vers I decided to tackle a couple hills and descents. I really need a computer so I can tell how fast I'm going... I was quite pleased climbing the hills. It was definitely tough, but I managed and I didn't feel like I was dying. I don't get to climb very often and need to recognize when to shift gears. Also, descending was very good. I felt very calm except on a hairpin that I took too quickly and made the mistake of braking during the corner. My rear wheel skidded out from under me, but I managed to regain control and not fall. Snapped a couple of pics near the top

Old 07-12-09, 08:46 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 6,632 Times in 2,599 Posts
A local friend, Bob Williamson, and I took off on Friday afternoon for Burlington, VT, where we would meet up with Glenn Eames, proprietor of Old Spokes Home in Burlington and a member of the Veteran Cycle Club of New England (as are we). We fought Friday afternoon rush-hour traffic getting out of Boston and cruised in and out of the mountains of northwest Vermont by 8 p.m. or so. Saturday was a day for a great Burlington breakfast, a terrific tour of Glenn's shop and amazing cycling museum, and then a ride. We opted for a route Glenn recommended: south out of Burlington through Shelbourne Falls to Charlotte and then a ferry ride across Lake Champlain to New York state, where we made our way up the coast to the ferry crossing at Port Kent and back to Burlington. It was a terrific route, and we lucked out in that we had very strong headwinds (20-30 mph) at the start of the ride heading south, but that was fairly flat terrain. On the NY side when we had to do some climbing, the wind was at our backs, and the rain/thunderstorms held off until we were on the ferry ride back to Burlington (and then a 7-minute bike ride back to our car). And now the pics!

Our bikes in front of Glenn's shop. I was on my mystery French bike (frameset purchased from Glenn via eBay, in fact), and Bob was on his Jack Taylor.

One of many high-wheelers at Glenn's shop:

Check out the lugwork on this hickory-wood bike:

On the road just south of Burlington:

On the Ferry ride to NYS:

Local color at a lunch stop in Willsboro, NY:

Mmm, thick corn chowder!

A view of the lake behind me as we cross a meadow before heading down to Port Kent:

Even more pics here: https://picasaweb.google.com/lerner.n...ide11July2009#

Neal

Last edited by nlerner; 07-12-09 at 10:08 AM.
Old 07-12-09, 01:45 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Judging by the recent spate of posts, yesterday was a good day for a ride!

Turns out, it was no less true here - Bikingshearer and I teamed up for a leisurely tour of SF, the Marin Headlands, and Mill Valley. We met at the Ferry Building on the Embarcadero, under a heavy marine layer and chilly breezes. We lasted all of about 15 minutes before I twisted Rich's arm and made him stop at Starbucks for a hot beverage and a small bite to eat.

After I achieved a proper mindset, we headed through Fisherman's Wharf to gain access to the Golden Gate Bridge. Up and over, through the fog, and down the other side we turned left and looped through the Marin Headlands. The fog was sort of lifting by this time, but was still above us sending it's tendrils down and around us now and again.

Coming off the headlands and back into Sausalito, we finally got some sun and blue skies. From there, it was a delightful romp up to Mill Valley and lunch, threading ourselves between the throng of participants in a massive walk for breast cancer research. Arriving at Mill Valley, we lunched with Rich's charming fiancée while planning our return route.

Going back to SF we retraced the route coming up, neglecting of course the loop through the headlands. It was such a nice day we eschewed the many opportunnities to ride back on a ferry and scooted back across the Golden Gate and our starting point. After feasting on a vendor-cart hot dog we shared a ride on BART, eventually parting ways on the other side.

A Good Day - about 40 miles and 3,000' of climbing or so.

In the beginning - On the BART platform, waiting for a SF bound train:

A funny juxtaposition:

GG approach:

Crossing the GG:

Land's End, with Bolinas Lighthouse dimly visible:

Through a tunnel, darkly:

A nice toy, riding anchor:

Coming back, the Bay Bridge and Alcatraz:

Alcatraz:

The Balcuth:

S. J. Perelman

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.