Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Old 05-12-20, 07:12 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 1,179 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
The mind is the first thong to go.
I thought it was the second, but I don't remember for sure.
Old 05-12-20, 07:50 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Yep, I pm'd Doc and totally not expecting free he just gave em to me for free, who does that? Thank you so much rccardr
Im looking forward to the ride, they are barely used Vittoria Rubino pros. I mean come on man!
Since my business is temporarily closed I have 0.0 income. However I was given some birthday money and I needed tires... and the beat goes on.
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 05-12-20, 10:39 PM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 105 Posts
So...a race. I hate to derail you guys.

my 3900’ gain 56mi race has been changed to Eagleman 2021. Mostly flat..,and now what?

it’s 56 miles of flat and windy. Can I just ride my trainer to prepare for this?

Patrick? Have you done it?
Old 05-13-20, 06:40 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by TriBiker19

my 3900’ gain 56mi race has been changed to Eagleman 2021. Mostly flat..,and now what?

it’s 56 miles of flat and windy. Can I just ride my trainer to prepare for this?

I have not done that event or any in Maryland like the Seagull century. FYI, Maryland events around that time tend to have crappy weather. Read up on past events for the info. It tends to rain a lot and flood the courses. Flat and windy is a different animal. It suits some riders and not others. The trainer might be the best way to train for it anyway. No coasting in flat and windy. No coasting on the trainer either. The Hotter N Hell would be an excellent prep ride for your race. It's flat, windy and hot. If it is not windy where you live/train, you need to mentally prepare yourself for riding/running in the wind. If it is blowing hard and gusty, you can get knocked around a bit. Your speed might drop going into it. Don't worry about it. Maintain the same effort. Don't try to maintain the same speed, or you will blow up and bonk early. Flat and windy requires a lot of grinding.

Last edited by seypat; 05-13-20 at 11:52 AM.
Likes For seypat:
Old 05-13-20, 07:00 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by texaspandj
I just finished posting a long post starting with Thanking @rccardr for tires he sent me and finishing with thinking about tuning bikes for some cash. Thanks again Doc. But I posted it on another thread. Hot dang it! I didn't save it because I immediately deleted it. Oh well I'll try again tomorrow.
You need some tires? I have a set of these that came on a hipsterized bike....... along with camo bar tape. I've tried to put them on some of my bikes, but not feeling the look. They might look good on your blue IM. They are headed your way. I will PM you if I need an address. I also have some Gatorskins and Blizzards as well, but I agree with Robbie. I will save those for my worst enemies.

Likes For seypat:
Old 05-13-20, 07:11 AM
seypat

For the Texas IM chapter, here is a sad update to a story posted a couple of months ago. Remember the story of the 8-9 year old girl from Henrietta that died suddenly from a heart related ailment? She was the granddaughter of one of my best friends in high school. Last time I was in that area for my niece's wedding, I actually bumped into him and his family(including the grandaughter) at a restaurant in WF. Strange! That guy and I hauled a lot of hay bales back in the day.
Old 05-13-20, 01:27 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2151 Post(s)
Liked 3,380 Times in 1,198 Posts
56 miles of flat and windy means that unless it’s a one way course, up to 50% of it will be with a tailwind. If you’re fortunate, the headwind will be on the first leg.
I do about 10 miles of a 32-ish mile ride into a 15-20mph headwind pretty much every day from February through May. It’s like the beginning of a long, constant hill.
Patiently grind it out, don’t fight it.
Old 05-13-20, 08:03 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
...he just gave em to me for free, who does that?
Umm... lemme see... well... you. And Robbie Tunes.
Old 05-13-20, 08:07 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by seypat
You need some tires? I have a set of these that came on a hipsterized bike....... along with camo bar tape. I've tried to put them on some of my bikes, but not feeling the look. They might look good on your blue IM. They are headed your way. I will PM you if I need an address. I also have some Gatorskins and Blizzards as well, but I agree with Robbie. I will save those for my worst enemies.

Awesomesauce. Those Vredestein Fortezza tires are darned good, very underrated by most roadies but appreciated by tri-folk. Got one with an older tri-bike frame that was cracked but good for salvaging the components -- nice mix of Dura Ace and other goodies. First thing I did was try the Vredestein Fortezza tire (Tri-Comp, I think?) because I'd never ridden any Vredestein tire before, let alone a 700x20. I tried it on the front wheel around the nearby 5 mile training loop with mostly smooth pavement. Sweet tire.
Old 05-13-20, 08:44 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

...my 3900’ gain 56mi race has been changed to Eagleman 2021. Mostly flat..,and now what?

As other folks noted, wind can be demoralizing. Like long climbs it can get into your head before it wears down the legs and lungs. Combine a headwind with a climb and the mind begins to play tricks on us. Like whispering "Go home and watch TV. This sucks."

Part of the challenge is the energy expended just keeping the bike on a steady line. Wind buffeting forces us to make lots of corrections, usually minor. Trainer sessions can't prepare us for that, although old school rollers can help (and those demand full concentration). It all adds up to energy expenditure. Especially with downtube shifters -- reaching down to shift while correcting for gusting crosswind can be tricky. Brifters are more efficient. Some folks are comfortable with bar-end shifters on aero bars -- I'm not, but I haven't practiced enough either, especially in crosswind.

Work on getting aero -- as low as you can manage for as long as you can manage without too much discomfort. If it hurts too much it'll be counter-productive. Wind tunnel tests have shown the most aero position isn't necessarily the lowest, most stretched out or inherently uncomfortable.

Drops can be aero, but tests show that for at least some folks it's more aero to use the hoods, with the forearms as near as possible to parallel with the ground. Seems to be, although I need a longer stem to improve the ergonomics for such an aggressive position. My shorter stem is ergonomically friendly for more relaxed riding, which suits me on the Ironman.

Tests also show it isn't cost effective to throw gobs of cash at the aero puzzle. An aero frame, rims or disc wheels, are expensive and not necessarily significantly more aero than snug fitting kit -- shorts/bibs, jersey, helmet. On a budget, go for an aero jersey and helmet first. Maybe aero shoe covers. Cheapest tricks to save a few watts.

While you can throw a pile of cash at a skin suit, you can get a lot of value from an aero jersey costing less than $100. Ditto helmets -- you don't need the full zoot long tail fin Alien vs Predator helmet. Any rounded sorta-aero lid will do. These range from cheap Base Camp round aero helmets for $20 (I have one, it's pretty good for the money) to around $50 for name brand unsold old model aero helmets from Bell and other well known makers.

I bought a couple of closeout/blowout Pearl Izumi Elite Pursuit Speed jerseys for only $20 and $30 respectively, because nobody wanted a hi-vis yellow aero jersey (that color usually screams Unhip Fred, especially on a baggy long sleeve sunscreen jersey), and the blue was a customer return (original tags, etc., didn't seem to have even been tried on). Those usually sell for closer to $100. The main difference from my other jerseys is the aero jerseys fit tightly and don't stretch much, but are still comfortable. The shoulder sleeve material are plasticky, thicker and even less stretchy, supposedly designed to improve airflow. Seems to work as claimed.

Does a jersey and helmet really help? Yeah, I think so. I've ridden the same training routes many times with casual fit and snug fitting shorts and jerseys, and my usual Bell and POC vented helmets vs the cheapie solid top aero lid (it does have a detachable top that exposes some tiny vents). The aero kit is always good for an extra 1 mph over my usual 20-50 mile training routes, expending the same perceived effort. But the Base Camp aero lid is kinda primitive compared with the more comfy Bell and POC so I don't wear it often -- the pads and harness aren't as nice. Customer pix of crashes indicate it's as safe as most bike helmets so I'm not worried about that. But I might upgrade to a somewhat better aero lid from Lazer, Abus, Bell, Giro or other, whatever's on sale.

Some rides I'll wear the aero kit just for a casual ride, because I don't want to fight the gusting crosswinds. It's just safer and more reassuring in traffic when I can hold a steady line and wobble around in traffic. I was surprised by how effectively aero kit reduces the human sail effect. Only problem is the aero jersey pockets are dinky so I carry less. But I usually carry too much junk anyway. So far I haven't needed anything I left behind. There's still room for my phone, mini-wallet, Clif bar, a couple of gels, asthma inhaler, pepper spray, lip balm, sporty Super Cooties Apocalypse 2020 model surgical mask. All the bike repair stuff goes in the small Serfas Speed Bag or Lezyne Road Caddy. Big bags can catch the wind too -- I really notice that on my hybrid, with larger saddle bag and handlebar bag.

Even without aero bars it's possible to get remarkably aero if you can manage the "puppy paws" or invisible aero bar position -- forearms draped across the top of the bar, as close as possible to the stem. I can do it, but I lack the confidence on rough roads or crosswinds. And my bike fit isn't quite right for that position -- I'd need a slightly longer stem for better stability. I'm going to try that soon. It also needs really grippy bar wrap or something to keep the sweaty forearms from slipping around on the bar in that position.
Old 05-14-20, 11:56 AM
texaspandj

Dang, thanks Pat. I'll try anything twice.
Old 05-14-20, 12:14 PM
texaspandj

Yeah you could just ride your trainer. Reportedly a lot of cyclist have increased performance due to S-I-P training once they resumed out door riding. But...the only way I'd ride exclusively on a trainer is if I was forced to. I kinda liken it to playing a round of golf with just a 7 iron. Yeah I could do it but I'd rather take the whole bag.
For sure the wind can play havoc on your best laid plans but there's no guarantee it'll be windy that day.
Hills are nothing like wind but they'll make you stronger training on them and make the flat lands easier and the wind tolerable. Besides I've never been on a completely flat as a trainer road...yet.
Ultimately I'd train for the worse and hope for the Best.
Old 05-14-20, 12:36 PM
seypat

Dang, thanks Pat. I'll try anything twice.
As Maui would say, "you're welcome!" Who would have thought that 2 of the best action movie actors of all time(Ahhnold and the Rock) would have arguably their best roles in comedic kiddie movies.

Old 05-14-20, 03:32 PM
texaspandj

I had never seen the tv series Miami Vice, It just seemed to cheesy for me a then 21 year old. Anyways you know how you're on utube and searching for a video on climbing alpe d'huez and next thing you know you're watching how to build a deck. So anyhoo, I'm was watching an interview with Edward James Olmos on his getting the call to do Miami Vice. After that I had to watch the series. Fortunately saving birthday money on free tires from rccardr (Thanks Doc), I had money to go on a mini/very mini shopping spree. So one of the things I got, you guessed it, Miami Vice first season. Don Johnson was on one episode of tv series Kung Fu with David Caradine other than that he probably didn't do much that I know of. But he became so popular he put out at least one song maybe an album. Stevie Ray reportedly played on one of Don Johnson songs.
There are so many eventual movie stars or tv stars on the MV series I've lost count. It's very trippy. You see them so lean and mean probably literally starving trying to make it as Hollywood actors. I don't think those guest actors were even stars yet. You gotta be on your toes to recognize them cause they look so different from the shows that eventually made them famous.
All this to say I'm riding my Miami Vice Ironman today. (Ya'll knew I'd circle back).

Last edited by texaspandj; 05-14-20 at 04:23 PM.
Old 05-14-20, 06:01 PM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 105 Posts
My husband just got on my trainer bike (he has a much longer torso than I do.). He seems to like it.

I mentioned modifying it, unless he wants it.

He uttered the magical words, “You should just get another Ironman. Why not?”

Seems like Smokey is going to a new rider...

And now I need a new bike. Perhaps something in a teal variety? Purple haze?
Old 05-14-20, 07:07 PM
seypat

Phil Collins did a great stint.
I remember an episode I thought Phil was in doing his "Devil, devil, devil get out." Anyway, Crocket and Tubbs are looking for a bad guy that has not been seen in some time. He just vanished. One of their informants says they know where he is. They drive out to an abandoned house/building. The informant claims the bad guy is in the building. They go in and the informant starts tearing down a wall. They person they are looking for is indeed in the building. He was bricked up behind the wall.(By the informant, I think) Just a skeleton. now. It was driving the informant crazy and he had to get it off his chest. Great episode.

Last edited by seypat; 05-15-20 at 08:06 AM.
Old 05-14-20, 07:20 PM
TXsailor

Bikes: Origin-8 Lactic Acid Giant Escape 2 Centurian Lemans 12 Kuwahara Tandem 1989 Ironman Expert 1988 Ironman Master

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 59 Posts
For the Texas IM chapter, here is a sad update to a story posted a couple of months ago. Remember the story of the 8-9 year old girl from Henrietta that died suddenly from a heart related ailment? She was the granddaughter of one of my best friends in high school. Last time I was in that area for my niece's wedding, I actually bumped into him and his family(including the grandaughter) at a restaurant in WF. Strange! That guy and I hauled a lot of hay bales back in the day.
Sorry to hear about the young lady passing away. Oh the HHH committee announced today that the ride will be a virtual ride. I'm not quite sure how that works but I'm pretty sure we won't be lined up on Scott St that Saturday morning
Old 05-15-20, 08:37 PM
texaspandj

Finally finished first season of Miami Vice. And from what I can remember, here are some names of stars or characters they played when they became famous.
jimmy Smits, bubba Gump, boy meets world dad, Bruce Willis, Bob from la Bamba movie, Jay from modern family, guy from Mr deeds movie and transformer, Glen frey, Julio from Sanford and son, Pam Grier, and more I probably don't remember. Most of these people weren't famous yet including Bruce Willis that I know of.
The series started in '84 and ended in '90.
However it's listed as 5 seasons.
Much like our beloved Ironman, the bulk of the series was '85-'89 a basic 5 year run...and I Circled Back.
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 05-15-20, 11:20 PM
madpogue 

Bob from la Bamba movie
That was Esai Morales, playing Bob Morales (no relation), Ritchie's half-brother (thus the different last name). Coincidentally, Esai Morales went on later to play attorney Joseph Adama in Caprica, the "prequel" series to the 21st-Century reboot of Battlestar Galactica. In BG, Edward James Olmos (from MV) played Cmdr William Adama, Joseph Adama's son.
Old 05-15-20, 11:56 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

I never missed a Miami Vice episode back in the day. It usually came on Friday night and I wouldn't go out until after the show was over. I might have lost a girlfriend over that darned show. Her favorite nightclub was made to look like it was off the set for Miami Vice -- that cliched 1980s pastel colored Florida beach adobe building.

Looking back now, the show was stylish but hasn't worn well. Edward James Olmos as Castillo was the best thing about the show. Don Johnson seems way too full of himself -- I don't remember feeling that way back in the 1980s, but he's hard to watch now. Some episodes are really good. I seem to recall Ted Nugent being pretty good as a bad guy.

Michael Mann was always a stylish director and put out some of my favorite movies, including Manhunter and Last of the Mohicans. Crime Story was fun too, the 1980s film noir TV show that lasted only a couple of years.
Old 05-16-20, 09:59 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked 1,954 Times in 1,086 Posts
Red Centurions are getting snatched up within hours. Don't hesitate.

My wife said no.

I didn't get a chance to ask my wife.
Old 05-16-20, 11:48 PM
madpogue 

^^^^^^ OMG someone brazed front AND rear rack bosses on to an IM? And God forbid they paint it after inflicting it.

That Buick -- remove the other vehicles, and those photos could easily be from when the car was much younger.
Old 05-17-20, 12:06 PM
texaspandj

I have my room. I have my partner. The event is virtual, so why not?

We can adapt. We can do this.
We have bikes. We have water bottles.
We can configure our bikes to carry more. Heck, Walmart carries that seatpost resr rack.

So, first we map out the course. Then we determine commercial stops/stores along the route, then near the route. Then we pitch in and hire a SAG and outfit that person. Then we coordinate. Then we ride. As together as we can. Leave egos home.

It's not the invasion of Normandy. We can plan it, do it, be flexible. Be riders.

So, I challenge you to do this, with me. Epic is a possibility.
Count me SOLIDLY in. Maybe my wife and maybe my cycling buddy. They have Ironman bikes as well
Also, I just ordered the 2nd season of Miami Vice...
Old 05-19-20, 10:00 AM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 396 Posts
Help me Ironmen, you're my only hope...

Last fall I bought an 86 Ironman Dave Scott from a member. It's been waiting for spring and I finally took it out for a little ride.
The front brake made a bad noise on my first real stop from speed. Turns out the rim is badly cracked on both sides.
It is an original bronze Araya 700c 32h and I'd like to get an original replacement.
Does anyone have a spare that they would sell?
Thanks,
Dave
The carnage,

Last edited by daverup; 05-19-20 at 10:02 AM. Reason: edit
Old 05-19-20, 12:33 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2151 Post(s)
Liked 3,380 Times in 1,198 Posts
Not cracked, that’s the seam.
You should be able to dismount the tire and rim strip, gently bend out what’s bent in, then go over the seam with some fine sandpaper wrapped around a piece of wood to keep it flat.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.