Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Value of Trek Madone cca 2013?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-23, 08:39 PM
DanXBoon
BumpyRidesDoneDirtCheap

Bikes: Single-speed ('95 DiamondBack Apex), '92 DiamondBack Allure, '95 Trek 730

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Value of Trek Madone 5.5 2008?

Hello, and thanks in advance for helping out. Cannot post pictures (this is my second post).
First question is the one in the title: what is the approximate value of a Trek Madone (owner states age as approx. 10 years)?
Second, without seeing the bike, what cues do I use to determine the model? The picture I have is of the opposite side of the drivetrain.
I am currently searching for Trek catalogs, so far I found only one that's not in pdf format, and hard to navigate, so any pointers would be appreciated.
Dan

Last edited by DanXBoon; 10-11-23 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Changed the title to reflect the actual name, model, year
Old 10-07-23, 09:32 PM
DanXBoon
BumpyRidesDoneDirtCheap

Bikes: Single-speed ('95 DiamondBack Apex), '92 DiamondBack Allure, '95 Trek 730

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
2008 is a more likely year

A quick search by image reveals that I may be dealing with a 2008 Trek. Still interested in its possible value ...
Old 10-07-23, 10:07 PM
DanXBoon
BumpyRidesDoneDirtCheap

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Source for 2008 catalog

Source for the 2008 catalog identified on vintage-trekDOTcom
I am answering my own question
Old 10-08-23, 07:49 AM
JulesCW 

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 320 Posts
That's not really a C&V bike -- it is a "modern" carbon bike. Not likely to get a lot of love on this sub forum. As always, an awful lot depends upon condition (perhaps especially so for used carbon bikes, as carbon does not like to be mistreated). To my knowledge the older Madones have little collector value -- but it should still be a nice bike to ride. if in good shape (newish tires, good cables, all mechanical bits working as they should, very clean, with no scuffs, etc.). The 2008 Madone came in several varieties with different levels of components, so very hard to evaluate without more information. I'd guess it would be worth $180-$600, but YMMV depending upon specs, condition, location, etc. Without more info really hard to say.
Old 10-08-23, 08:03 AM
DanXBoon
BumpyRidesDoneDirtCheap

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
2008 Trek Madone is 5.5 model

Thank you, it seems that the model is a 5.5, so there is more clarity (for me) in terms of components.
I suspected that there's not much love forthcoming in this subforum - especially without pics - but I had to start somewhere.
Hopefully I will be able to post some pictures and give some more info (if I decide to visit this actual bike "in person"
Old 10-08-23, 09:41 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked 1,811 Times in 643 Posts
Hard to say without pics while nice bikes these hard some issues with the Bontrager race lite wheels and compact crank set, so figure on adding a wheel set with tires ancassette, a crank set with bb and pedals to the cost of the bike considering age. So I wouldn't go much over $200 on one of these and would be inclined to say pass on one of these if you need to ask questions.
Old 10-08-23, 12:20 PM
DanXBoon
BumpyRidesDoneDirtCheap

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thank you zukahn1 - I will take note of these issues - in another setting, someone mentioned issues with the stock seat mast (causing cracking of the frame) - most probably will pay a courtesy visit to this bike if still available, as it is close to my bike route - pictures forthcoming when I will be released from probation
Old 10-08-23, 01:59 PM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 194 Posts
Welcome. You have six posts currently. Easy way to get more posts is to head to the Introductions forum and say hello to four of your new friends in their posts. Then you can post pix without issues.
Likes For bargainguy:
Old 10-09-23, 07:34 AM
DanXBoon
BumpyRidesDoneDirtCheap

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thank you bargainguy. It seems that we have something in common - see my "handle" BumpyRidesDoneDirtCheap
Old 10-09-23, 12:37 PM
DanXBoon
BumpyRidesDoneDirtCheap

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

A pic of the bike that sparked the initial question - I will summarize the responses I got (here and elsewhere) shortly
Old 10-09-23, 01:06 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Croll '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 272 Posts
Looks like Ultegra or 105. If it came equipped with Dura Ace, it would nearly double the value.
These ride nicely. To me, it would work great as a vacation home bike. Just bring your kit each time.
Possibly worth $600, in my estimation.
Old 10-09-23, 03:08 PM
DanXBoon
BumpyRidesDoneDirtCheap

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

roadcrankr, thank you for clarifying the components issue - according to the catalog(ue) this is/should be equipped with Dura-Ace - is my method of coming up to this conclusion reliable? - (1) I am reasoning that colors are unique for the particular year and (2) and thus a specific bike will have uniquely associated components (if these were not changed by the owner) - obviously, I am new at this type of ”detective work” so I want to see if my line of reasoning is correct
Old 10-09-23, 05:28 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Croll '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 272 Posts
Not a Trek expert here. Your research indicates the 5.5 came with Dura Ace.
Evidently, the prior owner down-graded the gruppo. The bike's value will follow suit.
You can still enjoy riding it. Haggle it as low as you can.
Likes For roadcrankr:
Old 10-10-23, 06:40 AM
DanXBoon
BumpyRidesDoneDirtCheap

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
To summarize, so far I got info to its possible value as follows, from various sources.
(1) Range of $400-600. (2) Range of $180-600. (3) ~$200. (4) More expensive in Europe ("like-new 2008 Madone 5.2 with Ultegra 6600 SL (instead of Dura Ace 7800) for 900€."
On another note, there were also some warnings concerning (a) the seat mast producing cracks in the frame and (b) multiple potential issues (see posts above).
If I manage to visit this bike "in person" this week, I will provide more info.
Old 10-10-23, 07:22 AM
Sedgemop 

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10 '78 Motobecane Le Champion '83 Motobecane Grand Jubile '85 Trek 830 '88 Merckx Team ADR Corsa Extra

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 1,214 Times in 651 Posts
Originally Posted by DanXBoon
To summarize, so far I got info to its possible value as follows, from various sources.
(1) Range of $400-600. (2) Range of $180-600. (3) ~$200. (4) More expensive in Europe ("like-new 2008 Madone 5.2 with Ultegra 6600 SL (instead of Dura Ace 7800) for 900€."
On another note, there were also some warnings concerning (a) the seat mast producing cracks in the frame and (b) multiple potential issues (see posts above).
If I manage to visit this bike "in person" this week, I will provide more info.
If something condition-wise would make this bike worth $180-200, I'd pass on it. First estimate seems accurate from what I've seen asking/selling-wise.
Old 10-10-23, 09:35 AM
DanXBoon
BumpyRidesDoneDirtCheap

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
sedgemop, thanks - one issue, apart from geometry, components, etc., is that I have zero experience with carbon
Old 10-10-23, 10:36 AM
ljsense

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts

A pic of the bike that sparked the initial question - I will summarize the responses I got (here and elsewhere) shortly
It looks like it has 7800 Dura Ace shifters, brake calipers and probably the crankset, too -- which in my view would be an upgrade from the original Bontrager crank. I'm assuming it probably has the 7800 derailleurs as well.

When these questions of value come up on this forum and others like it, the crowd response always tends to skew quite low. Getting this bike for $600 would be a steal. Compare what you can buy for $600 in a bike store.

If you paid $800 to $1,000 for it, I think you'd get a lot of bike for your money. These old Madones are probably among the best buys around.

They are quite durable, were built well by hand in the US, and ride great.

Tire clearance and rim brakes might be drawbacks -- they max out at about 700x26 tires. Some people like the paired-spoke Bontrager wheels, some don't -- I'm not a big fan, but they're decent wheels and often have hubs made by DT Swiss.

You're on a C&V forum, so you're not going to get a lot of cheerleading for a carbon frame, but if you look up Sheldon Brown's republished study of frame failure, Trek's USA carbon withstood more abuse than many steel frames.
Old 10-10-23, 11:14 AM
DanXBoon
BumpyRidesDoneDirtCheap

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thank you ljsense. Tire clearance - I don't like the lack of it, but open to accepting it if other aspects work. I will check out the Sheldon Brown study.

What I am most fascinated with though is that some people can say "it looks like it has ..." (7800 Dura Ace shifters). This is what I cannot see at this point, due to lack of experience. Will report back later in the week, if I manage to see this bike.

As for the variation in pricing opinions (from $200 to $600, to be conservative), I don't mind it at all. It is understandable, being a function of one's experience (and saturation with) bikes, as well as purchasing power.
Old 10-10-23, 12:38 PM
Sedgemop 

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10 '78 Motobecane Le Champion '83 Motobecane Grand Jubile '85 Trek 830 '88 Merckx Team ADR Corsa Extra

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 1,214 Times in 651 Posts
sedgemop, thanks - one issue, apart from geometry, components, etc., is that I have zero experience with carbon
Yeah, it's a little short on carbon experts around here. I think there are no appraisal opportunities over on the Road Forum. You might try an appraisal post over there anyway if they don't have rules against that type of thing.
Old 10-11-23, 03:41 AM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked 470 Times in 303 Posts
The higher-end Trek Madone bikes were credible racers. No shortage of them in the Saturday morning A group back in the day. Not sure where 5.5 was in the hierarchy those years but the Dura Ace group is a sign for me it was probably on the upper end. And yes those are Dura Ace 7800 STI levers and my assumption at this point would be the rest of the group is likely the same. Terrific 10 speed groupset. That alone adds $300+ to the price. Still brings $400+ if you parcel it out on eBay.

IMO, this is a great bike for someone riding fast on a budget and wanting to represent in a competitive group. If it's solo riding and MUP strolling you're into, you can spend much less on a perfectly suitable bike.

From what I follow, the value of a mid '10s Dura Ace bike pivots around $1,000. Anything less is a good deal. Up to $1,200 is still okay if it's what you're looking for and options are limited in your area. Again, this bike is all about your need to go fast with the local hammerheads!
Old 10-11-23, 05:46 AM
DanXBoon
BumpyRidesDoneDirtCheap

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
plonz, thank you, the focus on the components is - again - helpful. Those perfectly suitable bikes I have, just as others do, and at great prices ($120 is my all-time upper limit). Which brings us to another interesting data point, to inject more drama into our discussion.

In my brief and friendly online interactions with the seller, they stated that they paid ”almost ten thousand for it.$10,000? Online sources indicate a MSRP of $4000+, and the helpful parsing of components above indicates upgrades on this Madone 5.5 bike compared with the catalog model.

Is such an original estimated price accurate, or the seller does not recall after so many years, or likes hyperbole, useful in literature, but not so much in an economic transaction context? Trek did have Project One, which allowed for customization, but customization of what for so much greenback?
Old 10-11-23, 07:49 PM
plonz 

they stated that they paid ”almost ten thousand for it.$10,000? Online sources indicate a MSRP of $4000+, and the helpful parsing of components above indicates upgrades on this Madone 5.5 bike compared with the catalog model.
$10,000 is a bit of an embellishment IMO. In 2012, I was convinced I was going to buy a new Specialized Venge aero road bike. Did several rides on an S-WORKS model and it was crazy fast. It was equipped with a choice of Dura Ace or Red on the Pro and S-WORKS models. From my recollection, prices were roughly $6K and $8K respectively.

The Specialized Tarmac would have been the equivalent to the Madone. I recall the Tarmac prices being about the same as the Venge. Again, I’m not sure where the 5.5 sits in the lineup but given the DA group, my gut tells me it was probably at the level of a Tarmac Pro. I’d further guess it was around $6K new as equipped.
Likes For plonz:
Old 10-11-23, 08:19 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 519 Times in 357 Posts
Thank you ljsense. Tire clearance - I don't like the lack of it, but open to accepting it if other aspects work. I will check out the Sheldon Brown study.

What I am most fascinated with though is that some people can say "it looks like it has ..." (7800 Dura Ace shifters). This is what I cannot see at this point, due to lack of experience. Will report back later in the week, if I manage to see this bike.

As for the variation in pricing opinions (from $200 to $600, to be conservative), I don't mind it at all. It is understandable, being a function of one's experience (and saturation with) bikes, as well as purchasing power.
Do you ride in a hilly area? This bike might have fairly high gearing, more for a strong rider or racer. (Newer bikes with 11 or 12 speed cassettes can have a wide enough gear range to suit a wider range of riders.) The (fuzzy) chart posted above says 50/34 front and 11-26 rear. That's acceptable, but 11-28 or even 11-32 cassettes are more suitable for many riders. There's likely a size limit on these older bikes, though. If your hills aren't extreme, this will be fine as is.

My 2014 road bike has room for 28mm tires that I run at much lower pressures than the 23mm or 25mm typical of earlier years.

Last edited by rm -rf; 10-11-23 at 08:22 PM.
Likes For rm -rf:
Old 10-11-23, 08:43 PM
DanXBoon
BumpyRidesDoneDirtCheap

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
THE END (*contains spoilers)

Well, we'll never know.

Today, before driving back to my humble abode (close to the seller's location), upon online contact to arrange for a meeting tomorrow, I am informed by the seller that they decided not to sell anymore.

Sold to someone else? Cold feet? Nothing to sell in the first place? Seen this very thread and got horrified by our cumulated wisdom?
(the last one is my favorite, given its conspiracy flavor, please add others).

So, dressed in black, I'm now mourning not the loss of something I had but of something that I haven't even acquired.

Last edited by DanXBoon; 10-11-23 at 09:12 PM.
Old 10-12-23, 04:22 AM
plonz 

DanXBoon Now that it’s a moot point, what was the asking price of this proverbial one that got away?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.