Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Issues with buying used bikes (10 years or older)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-12, 08:18 PM
calbrner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I thinking about picking up this used Specialized e5 bike that's about 10 years old. Are there any issues with aluminum frames of this age? Anything I should be worried about?
Old 05-06-12, 08:35 PM
Carbon Unit
Live to ride ride to live

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not sure about the frame you will need to check it out but there are a few things to consider. It will probably have a 1" steer tube. 1" forks are getting harder to come by but still available. Some older bikes have Italian threads on the bottom backet but I am not sure when that stopped. However, you could probably still find bottom brackets with Italian threads.
Old 05-06-12, 08:46 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
I've had Treks and Giants 20-30 years old, still ride a 1993 Trek 700, and have absolutely no problem finding parts. As for frames, I'm very happy with my Trek 1400 which is a 1990s model (I need to track down the exact year some time) and it is still solid and good looking. I inspected the frame when I bought it and have examined it any time I do any upgrades or maintenance. So far no problems. I don't think you'll have any problems with a 10-year-old Specialized as long as it has been well cared for and never crashed. Just check it over very carefully for any signs of fatigue or damage.