Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Trek Hybrid Vs Dual Sport

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-16, 08:36 AM
Sbwoman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Through my work I can use "health points" to receive a new bike. The choices I have narrowed it down to are:
Trek 7.1 FX WSD Women's Fitness Hybrid
Trek 8.2 DS Women's Dual Sport
For each they have a woman's version or man's. Because I am a woman is it better to go with that version (I'm 5'4")? I plan to mostly ride trails (mainly paved but some dirt) and road biking. Looking for info the differences between these and reviews. I know these are starter bikes and there are probably much better out there but they will be free for me to receive.
Old 03-02-16, 09:23 AM
dougmon 
Fred For Life

Bikes: Kona Big Rove AL, Surly Straggler

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Like you, I'm a newbie -- but I'm going to relay the opinions of some more experienced bicyclists that I've talked to...

I see that the 8.2 has suspension, and the 7.1 doesn't. What I've been told: unless you're going to ride a lot of bumpy dirt or aim for potholes while you're riding, suspension is superfluous. One person believed that it was both more useless weight and another thing that could go wrong.

So my vote would be for the 7.1 -- however...

I noticed on the Trek web site that they're having a sale and that the 7.2 FX is the same price as the 7.1 (if I'm looking at the right bikes). Maybe you could get a 7.2, which I have heard is a nicer bike?

Hope I've been helpful rather than otherwise.
Old 03-02-16, 12:00 PM
yashinon

Bikes: Trek Domane

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
It is your choice between the men's and women's frame. Whatever feels best to you. Between the DS and FX, the DS has suspension. The DS may have a lock out feature on the suspension for when you want to ride on the road. Take a look at your needs and go from there. Also i would consider going 1 step up with either bike.
Old 03-02-16, 01:07 PM
Ag Driver

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would like to think I over analyze things to a great extent. I was in the exact same boat as you and elected for the 7.2 FX. Reason being, is that when I canvassed friends with the exact same riding conditions, all of the ones with front suspension leave them in the locked position. That was enough to tell me to save my money, save the extra weight on the bike, and save on "one more thing to go wrong" .
Old 03-02-16, 01:16 PM
Grey.

Bikes: 2015 Trek 7.3

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did you guys all miss where she said it was coming from a rewards system at her job? Those are probably the higest level choices available.

Between the 8.2 and the 7.1, I would go for the 7.1 for paved trails and road riding. The 7.1 has a slightly better Acera rear derailleur and 35c tires as opposed to 38's on the 8.2 which all make it better suited for pavement if that's what you're going to spend most of your time riding. Keep in mind that the 7.1 won't fall apart on dirt trails or anything, all a front suspension really gives you is added comfort. It dosen't make the bike more durable, and a cheap suspension is arguably more trouble than it's worth in the long-term.
Old 03-02-16, 02:46 PM
yashinon

Bikes: Trek Domane

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Grey trying to create acquisition syndrome. Ha ha
I did read her post buy maybe the OP can negotiate a better deal.
Old 03-02-16, 03:14 PM
dougmon 
Fred For Life

Bikes: Kona Big Rove AL, Surly Straggler

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Grey.
Did you guys all miss where she said it was coming from a rewards system at her job? Those are probably the higest level choices available.
Nope, didn't actually miss that. They may be the highest level choices available, but she may be able to negotiate a better bike for the same price. Why not make her aware of that?
Old 03-02-16, 03:43 PM
Grey.

Bikes: 2015 Trek 7.3

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dougmon
Nope, didn't actually miss that. They may be the highest level choices available, but she may be able to negotiate a better bike for the same price. Why not make her aware of that?
I've never had a job where you could negotiate a points-based rewards system.

Yes there are better bikes than the 7.1, there are hundreds of them. The 7.2 is better than the 7.1, and the 7.3 is better than the 7.2. I could go on and on, but she asked about two specific bikes.
Old 03-02-16, 04:12 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
I like the DS's but the 8.2 doesn't have a lockout for the suspension. If your not going to do much trails and staying on pavement, that is not going to be as enjoyable.

The 7.1 would be my choice and not because it comes in a nice red color..........but that doesn't hurt!

Last edited by travbikeman; 03-02-16 at 04:15 PM.
Old 03-02-16, 05:28 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Man a free bike for health points. Where do I apply? I bought a DS 7.3 Wife bought a Neko Both have front suspension which you can lock out. They may add a little weight but to us it is negligible. We really like our bikes.