Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

2016 - Race Results

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-16, 06:57 AM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
there were 72 people in that 3/4 race? damn, didn't feel that big.
Old 03-28-16, 08:12 AM
Harlan
Tyrannosaurus Rexitis

Bikes: Scott Addict 6870

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mike868y
there were 72 people in that 3/4 race? damn, didn't feel that big.
It was super stretched out. 60 finishers, 12 DNFs.
Old 03-28-16, 10:24 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
Originally Posted by Harlan

Sunday at Wells my wife was tired so she did the C, which was 3 riders total.
Dang it, I was seriously thinking of doing it, might have been my only chance at a top 3 lol
Old 03-28-16, 04:53 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was super stretched out. 60 finishers, 12 DNFs.
Big fields all around at Hinds. The biggest Juniors field I've seen in a long time, and almost 80 for the pros. See you at Mystic Velo or Brumble if you decide on that.
Old 03-28-16, 06:03 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by mike868y
first "real" race of the year today, chris hinds "sunshine" crit

cat 3/4 - a few teams had sizable representation so I thought a break was going to get away. i tried to take a couple digs in the first half of the race or so but never got any separation that amounted to anything. with 10 to go a strong and decent size break got away and looked dangerous. knowing one of my teammates has a much better kick than I, I took a suicide pull to try and close the gap down, but after 1.5 laps on the front the gap hadn't changed at all. I settled in the pack to recover a bit, assuming my race was more or less shot. somehow with 2 to go I managed to slide into good position. the last few laps were just fast enough to prevent us from getting swarmed and I managed to nab 4th in the sprint. pretty happy about that, honestly not sure if I've ever gotten a top 5 in a 3 race.

also jumped in the 123 but I was so shredded I tailgunned the entire thing. 2.5 hours of crit racing is a lot.

solid way to start the season!
I was looking at the one picture of the sprint where I see you. It looked like it was a death march, gaps everywhere. Solid result there.

I really wish I was out there racing.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 03-28-16, 06:16 PM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
hah, maybe my perception is jaded because i got a good result but I really don't remember it being that hard? at one point in the race one of my short lived break attempts got caught, but there was a pretty significant split in the field so I just got on the front and did my best to make the split stick, which it didn't.
Old 03-29-16, 05:53 AM
Harlan
Tyrannosaurus Rexitis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shovelhd
Big fields all around at Hinds. The biggest Juniors field I've seen in a long time, and almost 80 for the pros. See you at Mystic Velo or Brumble if you decide on that.
I was really surprised at the turnout. It's great. Jon was thrilled hah. I was watching the Juniors from the car and was thinking how much fun it must have been to score. Glad I could help with the women's race. We'll be at both Brumble and Mystic. A separate women's 4 field at Brumble too, not even starting near the p123! At Mystic they are with the M45+ women, no p123 field offered. Should be a fun couple races.
Old 03-29-16, 06:17 AM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was really surprised at the turnout. It's great. Jon was thrilled hah. I was watching the Juniors from the car and was thinking how much fun it must have been to score. Glad I could help with the women's race. We'll be at both Brumble and Mystic. A separate women's 4 field at Brumble too, not even starting near the p123! At Mystic they are with the M45+ women, no p123 field offered. Should be a fun couple races.
There were enough W4 riders to have a separate race, but the WP/1/2/3 needed six more to make that happen. They didn't, so they raced together. The CR decided to combine the fields into one race instead of a staggered start.

Next time please say hi
Old 03-29-16, 01:32 PM
Harlan
Tyrannosaurus Rexitis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There were enough W4 riders to have a separate race, but the WP/1/2/3 needed six more to make that happen. They didn't, so they raced together. The CR decided to combine the fields into one race instead of a staggered start.

Next time please say hi
I forgot I wasn't wearing my corner cycle kit when I was by the official's stand. I was the dude trying to help keep track of the women's race.
Old 03-30-16, 03:30 PM
milmo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
To any Chris Hinds officials on the forum:

I was in the M65+ field, the Cat5s were on the track at the same time starting 1 min. ahead. During instructions we were told there was no problem if the two fields intermingled. Not being a sprinter I went at the start of the 1st prime lap (lap3), won the prime and after recovering for 10 or15 seconds still found myself a good distance ahead, so I went back to a hard but sustainable effort to see what would happen. About 2/3s of the way through the race the Cat5 leader caught me and, remembering the instructions, we worked together for couple laps until passing the official's booth at one point we were told, very firmly, "separate now!", which we did. When I looked across the track the riders who were 2nd and 3rd in my race were right in the middle of a Cat5 pack and there was no sign they were being told to separate. I don't win many races so I would have been very disappointed to have my pursuers brought back to me by the Cat5 field while I had to ride alone in the wind. Please: 1) don't change the rules in the middle of the race, 2) apply them equally to all riders.
Old 03-30-16, 05:24 PM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I forgot I wasn't wearing my corner cycle kit when I was by the official's stand. I was the dude trying to help keep track of the women's race.
Thank you, it was appreciated.
Old 03-30-16, 05:26 PM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by milmo
To any Chris Hinds officials on the forum:

I was in the M65+ field, the Cat5s were on the track at the same time starting 1 min. ahead. During instructions we were told there was no problem if the two fields intermingled. Not being a sprinter I went at the start of the 1st prime lap (lap3), won the prime and after recovering for 10 or15 seconds still found myself a good distance ahead, so I went back to a hard but sustainable effort to see what would happen. About 2/3s of the way through the race the Cat5 leader caught me and, remembering the instructions, we worked together for couple laps until passing the official's booth at one point we were told, very firmly, "separate now!", which we did. When I looked across the track the riders who were 2nd and 3rd in my race were right in the middle of a Cat5 pack and there was no sign they were being told to separate. I don't win many races so I would have been very disappointed to have my pursuers brought back to me by the Cat5 field while I had to ride alone in the wind. Please: 1) don't change the rules in the middle of the race, 2) apply them equally to all riders.
If you want to discuss this, take it offline.
Old 04-01-16, 08:43 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2617 Post(s)
Liked 3,131 Times in 1,646 Posts
I chatted with my ex for a minute after the Fiesta Worlds ride last night (only lady there), apparently she just won the women's 1/2 at Copperopolis last weekend. Go her! It will be exciting to see if she tries to do the domestic pro thing for a couple years.
Old 04-01-16, 09:13 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you want to discuss this, take it offline.

Regardless of the specifics of this case, I'd be interested to know if there is ever a situation where it's officially OK for non-combined fields to work together.
Old 04-01-16, 09:29 AM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
I've done it. When you're in offthebackistan with 40 miles to go and you just want to get back to the freaking car, I'm pretty sure no one cares, even if I accept that 45th place vs DNF haha
Old 04-01-16, 09:32 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There's a lot of space between

Originally Posted by globecanvas
officially OK
and

Originally Posted by aaronmcd
I've done it
Old 04-01-16, 09:53 AM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Yeah, there wasn't really any point to my post, except that I'm on the commuter train and bored.
Pretty sure it's still technically against the rules if I'm 10 miles back.
Old 04-01-16, 11:26 AM
wens

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronmcd
I've done it. When you're in offthebackistan with 40 miles to go and you just want to get back to the freaking car, I'm pretty sure no one cares, even if I accept that 45th place vs DNF haha
I think everyone has done this. You're out of the race, nobody cares where you finish, you just want to be done, and you're friggin tired of riding alone. I've never done it in a situation where I would care if somebody relegated me, and I can't see anybody fining me for it, so all good.

More annoying is a situation like a hilly road race that blows up into groups of 4 or 5 chasing each other when you catch people dropped from another race and they start trying to work back in. Especially when you're in a group that's still in contention to come back to the lead group. Some people just don't seem to be able to grasp different number sequences mean different fields (although I've occasionally thought that was intentional).
Old 04-01-16, 11:46 AM
beatlebee 

Bikes: i may have bike(s)

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been in races where the officials explicitly state that working with a different field (albeit both starting at the same time) is okay.
Old 04-01-16, 10:26 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
San Dimas pro/1 TT - not last.

My main goals for this stage was to do better than last year (success) - and hold off Lachlan Morton, who started 4 mins behind me (failed).

He past me in the last k, going way faster - I was doing 480w, lord knows what he was putting out.

On to the RR tomorrow!

Chris Horner and the US pro natl crit/rr champ are here too - bit Ill bet Brandon of Doge's LUX team will give them a run for their money!

my race videos
Old 04-02-16, 10:08 AM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
@shovelhd and I go round and round on this. At VOS the CR sent out a memo he wanted pins - after the TT. So we glued and used four pins - after the TT with no pins. Other than that, we don't use pins and if the numbers are printed well (95%) we soften them using a technique showed to me by a very senior USAC official. Take a crisp number and find a sharp corner (table, rail) and burnish the number back and forth. It will get soft. It actually reduces the facets that reflect light and make these cameras, that somehow are not as good as cell phones, not miss numbers. Anyway with the softened number just spray 3M 77 on back, wait till tacky and slap on. this even works for stage races. Once good at it there is little glue left on the kit. GooGone spray gel (must be gel) cuts the dried glue an the number comes right off - wash out immediately.

Almost all the Euro race numbers are soft and the better races they issue with adhesive on the back.

But there are always referees that want things different than what the rule book says and it is easier to just go along with them on smaller issues. Some issues are not so small as this.
could you link to the product you mentioned and comment on whether it would be safe to wash the garment in a laundry machine afterwards? Some reviewers for the pro power spray gel say the stuff is quite greasy, which makes me hesitate to stick the garment in the laundry afterwards
Old 04-02-16, 10:12 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by echappist
could you link to the product you mentioned and comment on whether it would be safe to wash the garment in a laundry machine afterwards? Some reviewers for the pro power spray gel say the stuff is quite greasy, which makes me hesitate to stick the garment in the laundry afterwards
We wash it with other stuff. I rinse before wash. No, do not put it in with work clothes, but it does go in with cycling, running, T-shirts etc.

Making the point again, use it, rinse it, wash it - soon after using it.

Edit Add:
That that you linked IS NOT the right stuff.
This is:
https://www.amazon.com/Goo-Gone-GGHS1.../dp/B001R4XHRQ

Last edited by Doge; 04-02-16 at 10:25 AM.
Old 04-02-16, 10:31 AM
Doge

Originally Posted by wens
I think everyone has done this. You're out of the race, nobody cares where you finish, you just want to be done, and you're friggin tired of riding alone. I've never done it in a situation where I would care if somebody relegated me, and I can't see anybody fining me for it, so all good.

More annoying is a situation like a hilly road race that blows up into groups of 4 or 5 chasing each other when you catch people dropped from another race and they start trying to work back in. Especially when you're in a group that's still in contention to come back to the lead group. Some people just don't seem to be able to grasp different number sequences mean different fields (although I've occasionally thought that was intentional).
In a stage race with teams it matters as that rider is there to help their teammate the next day, which, depending on the rider can be a significant help.
Riders were paced back in Santa Barbara RR - didn't matter much.
Riders were paced back in Chico SR - mattered a bunch
Old 04-02-16, 10:35 AM
Doge

Originally Posted by globecanvas
Regardless of the specifics of this case, I'd be interested to know if there is ever a situation where it's officially OK for non-combined fields to work together.
No. But if they are combined (you said that was not the case) - then yes.
You may not even work with a teammate on a different lap. Unenforceable in a pack, but very much so if a teammate drops back to pull another trying to catch/lap the group.

If the referee overrides the rules - well, no idea.
Old 04-02-16, 10:36 AM
Doge

Originally Posted by mattm
San Dimas pro/1 TT - not last.

My main goals for this stage was to do better than last year (success) - and hold off Lachlan Morton, who started 4 mins behind me (failed).

He past me in the last k, going way faster - I was doing 480w, lord knows what he was putting out.

On to the RR tomorrow!

Chris Horner and the US pro natl crit/rr champ are here too - bit Ill bet Brandon of Doge's LUX team will give them a run for their money!
I was surprised Horner was so far down, as I was surprised Brandon didn't win.
I don't know who all is doing Redlands (starts Wed), but that may have something to do with it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.