Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Differences between Nitto's Technomic NTC-150 and Pearl

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-17, 09:32 AM
ethet 
Catastrophe Merchant

Bikes: Keirin and a Steamroller

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 58 Posts

I am purchasing a stem for a vintage sport touring bicycle and am trying to discern the difference between a Nitto Technomic NTC-150 and the more expensive Nitto Pearl.

Assuming a clamp size of 25.4mm, both appear to be 150mm in height, made of forged aluminum, angled at 71º, even in weight, and have the same style of clamp—though differ significantly in price.

Is there a substantial difference in the finish (it is difficult to tell in pictures on the web)? Does it all come down to the Pearl's NJS approval (though this would be moot if the clamp was 26mm)? What reason would there be to choose the Pearl?

Any assistance in distinguishing between the two would be dearly appreciated.
Old 03-12-17, 10:43 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Others will probably have an answer. I can only say I have never had a Nitto stem with an unsatisfactory level of finish. They all seem quite nice to me.
Old 03-12-17, 01:33 PM
ethet 
Catastrophe Merchant

Thank you for the reply. I spent some time investigating this and I believe there actually is a difference in the clamp. The Pearl appears to have something much more fancy going on there:

Old 03-12-17, 01:42 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
I always thought the Technomic line had the extra long quills to put the rider in a more upright position.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 03-12-17, 02:51 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
I think the Pearl is slightly prettier.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-12-17, 03:43 PM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
The Nitto Deluxe is identical to the Pearl except it has a longer quill. The Pearl and Deluxe are much nicer than the Technomic. The DX measures about 11.5 cm from the minimum insertion line to the top, IIRC. I've got an extra Nitto DX with 10 cm reach if you are looking for one.
Old 03-12-17, 04:21 PM
ethet 
Catastrophe Merchant

Originally Posted by tarwheel
The Nitto Deluxe is identical to the Pearl except it has a longer quill. The Pearl and Deluxe are much nicer than the Technomic. The DX measures about 11.5 cm from the minimum insertion line to the top, IIRC. I've got an extra Nitto DX with 10 cm reach if you are looking for one.
Is the Technomic NTC-150 the same thing as the Technomic Deluxe? The listings I have seen have the NTC-150 with an identical length quill as the Pearl, both being 150mm (see the links behind my original post). Edit: Apparently the Technomic Deluxe has a quill length of 190mm.

If you see the pictures in my other post above, there does seem to be a significant difference in the clamps of the two stems I am pondering.

Thank you for your help!

Edit: The Technomic Deluxe appears to be a different stem than the Technomic NTC-150.

Last edited by ethet; 03-12-17 at 04:35 PM.
Old 03-12-17, 06:24 PM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I presume that the NTC-150 is the Technomic model with a 150 mm quill. Other Technomic models are available with much longer quills. The finish and clamp are much higher quality on the Pearl and Deluxe models, and the only difference between these two models is the quill length. I would definitely get a Pearl or DX model if you can find one for a good price. They are some of the nicest quill stems available.
Old 03-12-17, 06:52 PM
ethet 
Catastrophe Merchant

@tarwheel Thank you for the follow up. Something about the confusion invoked by the Technomic line really bothers me. It reminds me of Macs in the 90s. I don't like being made to feel like an idiot when I am trying to figure out what is going on with the differences in seemingly similar products under the same model name.

So I bought a Pearl (or 'NP'). The extra money is worth the peace of mind when ordering blind. And @noglider thinks its prettier, which says a lot to me.