Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

North Carolina Coast

Old 04-25-17, 01:19 PM
Fluteman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
North Carolina Coast

Hey guys..if ever coming around the Atlantic Beach area..look me up..I'm planning some Outer Banks Tours this summer if anyone interested.
Old 04-26-17, 06:00 AM
xodondum

Bikes: 17 Cannondale Synapse C; 17 DB Podium; 15 Trek Marlin 5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sounds fun, are bikes allowed to ride on the highway thru outerbanks?
Old 04-26-17, 08:46 AM
Fluteman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xodondum
sounds fun, are bikes allowed to ride on the highway thru outerbanks?
Yes, some bike paths also. The hyway in the summer is busy though. I like early mornings
Old 04-26-17, 08:58 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
There really is only one option (NC Highway 12) for riding most of the Outer Banks. I would only attempt it during spring or fall, due to traffic in the summer months. However, weather can be a huge factor in riding on the Outer Banks and I wouldn't go unless the weather looked favorable. I had planned a 350-mile loaded loop tour of the Outer Banks and inner NC coast a few years ago in the fall, but Congress chose that time to shut down the federal government and I had to cancel the trip. Not many options for camping if the National Park campgrounds are closed and staying in hotels was too expensive for a solo trip.
Old 05-06-17, 07:49 AM
Fluteman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tarwheel
There really is only one option (NC Highway 12) for riding most of the Outer Banks. I would only attempt it during spring or fall, due to traffic in the summer months. However, weather can be a huge factor in riding on the Outer Banks and I wouldn't go unless the weather looked favorable. I had planned a 350-mile loaded loop tour of the Outer Banks and inner NC coast a few years ago in the fall, but Congress chose that time to shut down the federal government and I had to cancel the trip. Not many options for camping if the National Park campgrounds are closed and staying in hotels was too expensive for a solo trip.
Sorry you missed your 350, that would have been nice. I may try something (if solo) if the traffic is too bad..that is riding the beachside. Two things need to happen for that to become a reality, one is the tires, that they would have to be wide (I ride 29er) and run at low pressure. Second, it would have to be low tide to ride on hard sand. The bike would need to be pushed through the soft sand to get to the hard stuff by the ocean. I am mostly worried about the sand and salt getting on my bike more than anything.
Old 05-17-17, 02:01 PM
Fluteman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, this is really a flat and fast in/out trip. Not saying it would easy...
Old 07-14-17, 06:11 AM
Fullcount
Interested Backpacker

Bikes: 88 Peugot US Express, 2019 Bachetta Bella, 2023 Catrike Dumont, 2001 Trek 520 Slate Pearl, MayaCycle Trailer, 2104 Trek Domane, Sun EZ Sport Recumbent

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tarwheel
https://xfer.services.ncdot.gov/gisd...-Nags_Head.pdf

https://xfer.services.ncdot.gov/gisd...ras_Manteo.pdf

One of the main reasons I vacation in the Outer Banks (in the Summer) is to ride my bike. There are tons of places to go on two wheels. Granted, Saturday & Sunday are bad days due to the travel days for most weekly rentals, but even the early mornings are still good.

When I ride the southern sections of the OBX, I do drive down to the Rodanthe area and start there and head south. The roads have a wide shoulder and everyone expects cyclists, so the mindset is good for getting a long 50 miler in. There is a lot of construction going on on the bridge over the Oregon Inlet to Rodanthe, so avoid the area if possible. There are a lot of long distance touring folks who use this section, but for now, I avoid this section.

I have placed links to two good maps for the OBX. Also do a Google search for NC bicycle routes and you will find good maps that cover the entire state for long distance riding, which includes NC 2 that meanders into the Outer Banks.