Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cycling long-distance in Hiking boots?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 07-04-17, 07:34 AM
Coldhands

Bikes: LHT + 650b MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,

Just wondering - I cycle platform pedals and I'm looking for some new footwear. Normally I cycle in Keen sandals which are great but this year heading into the Rockies early-mid fall so need something warmer and waterproof. All the boots I've found have been designed for clip in pedals so my question is have people here cycled in lightweight-ish backpacking boots and if so was it comfortable/recommendable? Thanks!
Old 07-04-17, 07:56 AM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I personally use skate shoes and use toe clips. Shimano do the same model as SPD but mine don't have the cleat fittings but do have a slightly stiffer sole than a normal shoe. I suspect they aren't waterproof but, being ankle height, are warmer.

All I can say is try your boots and see how they work. You do not need clipless and maybe your solution lies with your favourite boots and those pedals with all the studs on them.
Old 07-04-17, 09:19 AM
manapua_man

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Coldhands
Hi all,

Just wondering - I cycle platform pedals and I'm looking for some new footwear. Normally I cycle in Keen sandals which are great but this year heading into the Rockies early-mid fall so need something warmer and waterproof. All the boots I've found have been designed for clip in pedals so my question is have people here cycled in lightweight-ish backpacking boots and if so was it comfortable/recommendable? Thanks!
I've done it on month+ long tours before. I prefer a fairly high cadence these days so I'd rather have some kind of foot retention, but wide-ish mtb platforms with pins in em do alright.
Old 07-04-17, 10:08 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,684 Times in 2,508 Posts
I have used 45nrth Wulvhammer boots on platform pedals for winter mtb. They are probably too warm for your application, but they are very much like a hiking boot.
Old 07-04-17, 11:39 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I use boots either without foot retention or with nylon foot straps for cold weather riding, and comfort is fine. I'm careful to tuck the laces, as they can get wild and interfere with the chain. I've also had to play with the lacing around the ankle, as I seem to get stiff ankles the next day if it's laced too tightly.
Old 07-04-17, 01:04 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Long ago I began a summer tour in Vasque mid-hikers and mailed them home mid-tour after switching to Adidas sneakers. I was using toe clips on what were then called platform (un-quill) pedals, not like modern platforms. Did not like the feel, but different weather might have made me think differently.
Old 07-04-17, 03:30 PM
North Coast Joe

Bikes: Couple of rigid MTB's and a fixed gear

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
I have MTB platforms with leather straps adjusted to hold my hiking boots across the top on my Winter/camping bike.

I routinely do 25-50 mile rides with no discomfort. They're lightweight boots of nylon and rubber, but still have the higher tops that support the ankle when walking.

My hiking boots also fit into the toe clips that reside on the "store run" bike. No problems there, either.
Old 07-04-17, 07:13 PM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
I'm careful to tuck the laces, as they can get wild and interfere with the chain.

Oooo yes, it's a lot of fun putting a foot down and finding it doesn't reach the ground because a lace is caught on the chain ring (guess how I know this )
Old 07-04-17, 08:37 PM
steve0257

Bikes: Raleigh Port Townsend, Raleigh Tourist

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
I'm careful to tuck the laces, as they can get wild and interfere with the chain.
Originally Posted by europa
Oooo yes, it's a lot of fun putting a foot down and finding it doesn't reach the ground because a lace is caught on the chain ring (guess how I know this )
I've gotten the laces wrapped around the pedal spindle between the crank arm and the pedal.

I sometimes wear boots when riding, and other than the laces haven't had any problems.
Old 07-05-17, 07:00 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1362 Post(s)
Liked 1,669 Times in 825 Posts
For what it's worth, I commute year-round (down to 10F) here in Colorado Springs at the base of Pike's Peak. I use platform pedals with toe clips. For the last few years I have been wearing skateboard shoes; nothing fancy, but with a firm-ish flat sole. In the winter I wear wool socks, and under 20F I put a cotton sock over that. My feet stay warm. If it rains or there is snow I put a plastic grocery bag over my sock(s) tie it loosely using the handles and and tuck the excess in my shoe. It works for me.

My normal commute is ~45 minutes, and up to 90 minutes if the uphill ride home is in deep snow. I couldn't say how I'd fare over a longer ride, but as it gets down to 10F, the biggest factor in keeping my feet and toes warm is making sure the shoes and toe straps are loose enough to allow good blood circulation. Loosening the shoes to allow for the extra socks is crucial. If the shoes feel tight, my feel will be cold on the ride.
Old 07-05-17, 09:22 AM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
I've done rides up to a metric century (~62 miles) in combat boots and simple platform pedals. Never bothered me, but similar to AlexanderLS, I've worn almost nothing but boots since high school and I'm very used to them (I'm 32 now).
Old 07-05-17, 10:15 AM
RockiesDad

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 17 Posts
I use only MTB flat pedals on my CX bike and have been wearing low top hiking shoes made by Solomon. They are sort of running trail shoes but have these funky lacing system where you pull on a buckle and then tuck it in a pocket so they don't flop around. The ones I have also are made with Gore-Tex. Soles are pretty thick and threaded so they don't slip when I pedal. It also helps to have pegs on the pedals. Good enough for me...
Old 07-05-17, 10:38 AM
DaveQ24

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RockiesDad
I use only MTB flat pedals on my CX bike and have been wearing low top hiking shoes made by Solomon. They are sort of running trail shoes but have these funky lacing system where you pull on a buckle and then tuck it in a pocket so they don't flop around. The ones I have also are made with Gore-Tex. Soles are pretty thick and threaded so they don't slip when I pedal. It also helps to have pegs on the pedals. Good enough for me...
Exactly what I've worn many, many rides - I got sick of getting a lace sucked into the chain ring. Unfortunately, I haven't found any Salomon boots with that lacing system for a couple of years now, they seem to not make them any more, maybe not a good seller for them, but my older ones are well-made, the couple of pairs I have will last a long time.
Old 07-05-17, 11:49 AM
RockiesDad

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveQ24
Exactly what I've worn many, many rides - I got sick of getting a lace sucked into the chain ring. Unfortunately, I haven't found any Salomon boots with that lacing system for a couple of years now, they seem to not make them any more, maybe not a good seller for them, but my older ones are well-made, the couple of pairs I have will last a long time.
Haven't seen these in high tops but I think they still make them. Here is a newer version of what I have...

https://www.amazon.com/Salomon-XA-3D...omon+xa+comp+7
Old 07-05-17, 10:08 PM
good4u

Bikes: Trek DS 2 and Cannondale Topstone

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 92 Posts
I have been wearing my Patagonia low-cut hiking boots/shoes for biking for a few months. They are breathable rather than waterproof. As to warmth I started wearing them in March when I bought my bike and it was in the 40's F with no warmth problems. Still wearing them in summer.

I once had to ride through heavy rain and the shoes were the least of my problems. Hikers should clean up well no matter what.

I originally bought them for hiking as they have a nice sturdy sole for handling rocks and roots unlike my running shoes. Re-purposed shoes made the price right. Stylistically, I would feel self-conscious wearing them on a road bike.

No signs of wear on the soles from my metal pedals. The tread on the bottom with the metal-grip pedals keeps my feet well anchored.
Old 07-06-17, 03:29 AM
Odontites

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by good4u
I have been wearing my Patagonia low-cut hiking boots/shoes for biking for a few months. They are breathable rather than waterproof. As to warmth I started wearing them in March when I bought my bike and it was in the 40's F with no warmth problems. Still wearing them in summer.

I once had to ride through heavy rain and the shoes were the least of my problems. Hikers should clean up well no matter what.

I originally bought them for hiking as they have a nice sturdy sole for handling rocks and roots unlike my running shoes. Re-purposed shoes made the price right. Stylistically, I would feel self-conscious wearing them on a road bike.

No signs of wear on the soles from my metal pedals. The tread on the bottom with the metal-grip pedals keeps my feet well anchored.
Same here (except my shoes are Salewa). The hard soles and grippy tread feel good on platform pedals. I ride all day with no discomfort.
Old 09-05-17, 12:14 AM
jbw57

Bikes: 2017 Trek DS 3 / 2016 Felt Z85

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Coldhands
Hi all,

I ride flats on both my hybrid and road bike, I know I'm breaking the rules to some with flats on the roadie but cycling shoes are not comfortable to me plus most are ugly LOL....anyway I got me a pair of Keen Targhee III hiking shoes and there awesome, grip big time, super comfortable, well made and waterproof. Since you know the Keen's you may want to check out the hikers.

Last edited by jbw57; 09-05-17 at 12:18 AM.
Old 09-05-17, 08:05 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I had some pretty light weight mid top hiking boots (REI) but for real wet weather consider rubber boots ..
Old 09-05-17, 08:23 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 129 Posts
I use full on winter boots in the winter, almost knee high. Works fine, my commute is 17 - 21 km each way depending on the route that day (mostly influenced by snow depth on trails and roads)
Old 09-05-17, 08:30 AM
Nooner
If you brake you dont win

Bikes: Santa Cruz Bronson, Trek Remedy 9.8, Cervelo S3, Kona Big Honzo, Cannondale R500, DiamondBack Apex, one storage unit my wife knows nothing about, and one ball crushing unicycle for kicks

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
don't skimp on footwear...

For non competition rides I use Merrell hiking shoes. Stiff and grippy bottoms with plenty of ankle movement.

For competition rides I go to my favorite Giro high top mountain bike boot. A serious no nonsense boot that can take it all. Super firm and yet very light and comfy inside.
I'd wear these off the bike if I could.
It's a pricy boot but well worth every penny IMO.
Old 09-05-17, 08:33 AM
Elessar
R*dRid*r

Bikes: 1993 Diamondback Ascent EX black 22.5", 2018 Trek FX 3 Red 25"

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Me too, boots all the time

Alex, I too wear boots almost exclusively. I recently bought some nice walking shoes but tried them yesterday and was extremely disappointed. I'll be switching back to my Merrell mid height boots for any distance riding. Now, it is important to note that I'm a big baby about walking around bare footed and even have trouble on some extreme textured carpet, but that's just me. I love my boots for the protection they afford and will not be messing around with my feet, again. Hiking boots all the way for me!

Originally Posted by AlexanderLS
I bike exclusively in boots.
That said, I've worn pretty much exclusively boots since around 12 years old.
I've done everything in boots for over 10 years. Coming from sandles to boots you will notice the weight of the boots.

Boots are not generally comfortable for people not accustomed to wearing them. They have the firmest of soles which is advantageous on flats. Skate shoes may be the better option for you. Unless you plan on actually going off road/hiking having full fledged hiking boots makes little sense. Hiking shoes could also be an option. They don't provide as much waterproof cover, but unless you are hiking and crossing small creeks it will not matter.
Old 09-05-17, 09:20 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
got my money's worth out of a pair of low hiking shoes, not waterproof. they held up really well, right thru last winter. what killed them is my 2nd job walking on a concrete floor. got a new pair, this time waterproof, test hike & 8 hr shift on the concrete shows they are comfortable enough to keep using

for cycling tho, I'm happy I bought a dedicated pair of Lake brand MTB shoes

last winter I did resort to big wicked thermal winter boots for one ride
Old 09-05-17, 09:32 AM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
I do a lot of gravel grinding and recreational riding, on the flat side of my pedals, while wearing Merrel Capras. They are waterproof and moderately warm while being lightweight. The sole is moderately stiff and they come in low-top and ankle-height versions.
Old 09-05-17, 10:04 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
I had some pretty light weight mid top hiking boots (REI) but for real wet weather consider rubber boots ..
All my boots are gortex, works well and water proof. I use both low and higher hiking boots that are comfortable for long rides.