Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

2018 - Your Touring Plans = Where Are You Going?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

2018 - Your Touring Plans = Where Are You Going?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-18, 06:27 AM
capper66

Bikes: 2007 Trek 4500 ; 2015 Norco Sight C 7.3 ; 2016 Giant Escape 2 City ; 2017 Fuji Touring ; 2018 Salsa Marrakesh

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Our plans so far

End of May : GAP trail
June 2/3 : local overnight as part of Adventure Cycling weekend
June 9/10 : Ride to Conquer Cancer
End of June : Pine Creek Trail
End of July : Katy Trail

Wondering whether to do Natchez Trace in October
Old 04-11-18, 05:03 PM
vlicon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We are planning 5 to 6 days of bikepacking in Bears Ears. Will be there early next week.
Old 04-15-18, 07:18 PM
5kdad

Bikes: Felt Z100 road bike, Schwinn Frontier, Salsa Marrakesh, box-store tandem, and Sun Recumbent trike.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Last year, 2017, was a wash out for me. A high PSA sort of scared me, and I didn't bike much.
End of May, I'm planning a SAG-supported ride from near my home in NW Arkansas. The plan is to ride south for 9 days, hopefully give me time to get to the beach, just south of Beaumont, Texas. I need to average about 60 miles a day, to make that happen. For years, I've wanted to ride from my home area, to a beach.
At sometime in 2018, I also plan a self-supported tour for awhile, in Missouri on either the TransAmerica and or the Route 66.
Old 04-15-18, 07:50 PM
dannwilliams
Its only pain

Bikes: '18 Salsa Marrakesh, '14 Salsa Colossal, '89 GT Timberline

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rossiny
Any one done the Elroy/Sparta trail looking forward to trying that . that would be a first for me and then would like to do a extended tour.. Heard about Missisipii river trail would like to do a credit card tour that is not to expensive , any suggestions. I M coming from a long time off the bike.. Have been doing only a few bike rides each summer.. Seems like you get lazy in Wisconsin over the winter..or is it just me?
I’ve done Elroy-Sparta trail a few times. Great little towns along the trail. Plenty of camping along the trail, if you’re into that. And tunnels! Trails can be combined for about a hundred miles, https://www.bike4trails.com/
Mississippi River Trail, MRT, is another great ride! Once again riding through plenty of small towns in WI. I’ve gone from my home in River Falls down WI 35 all the way to the Blackhawk Bridge into Lansing, Iowa, then back up the other side. Beautiful!
Old 04-16-18, 01:48 PM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Touring plans

I’m riding the GAP-C&O for third time in June with several friends. Like our past trips, we are driving to DC, taking the Amtrak to Pittsburgh, and riding back on the trails. We are staying at inns, hotels and B&Bs along the way, which is very reasonable if you are sharing rooms. We’ll be riding the whole way in a week, on touring bikes.

I don’t have any definite bike tour plans for this year, but I’m considering signing up for an Adventure Cycling loaded tour in Northern Michigan in September. I would have signed up for that trip already if I could find a friend to ride with me, but not sure if I want to do it alone. The drive up to Michigan and back is what’s making me hesitate.
Old 04-17-18, 06:26 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,525 Times in 7,325 Posts
Cut the three-day down to two days because a front was forecast to come through Saturday night, which would make riding up the coast to catch the train home miserable. Made the right decision as by 9 a.m. where I was headed it was raining with a windchill of 36. It was still nice to get out, if only for one night. Train from Philly to Lindenwold, NJ, ride to Belleplain State Forest in the Pinelands at Woodbine, NJ then up the cost Saturday to Atlantic City to catch the train home. Stopped to say "Hi" to Lucy, who lives in Margate and has a constant ocean view. Just over 100 miles total.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC01335.jpg (719.6 KB, 208 views)
Old 04-17-18, 06:36 AM
Amyb3517

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rochester, NY to Odenton, MD

I’ve never done any multi-day long trip bike rides. I have done a couple of century rides, but want to try to up my game this year. I am going to try to leave from Rochester and make it to Mechanicsburg PA, and then on to Odenton Maryland in four days. I am worried about Pennsylvania as it is extremely hilly. Any advice ?
Old 04-17-18, 10:51 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Amyb3517
I am worried about Pennsylvania as it is extremely hilly. Any advice ?
Get Google Maps bike directions. The primary route returned is not that hilly at all. Upside is that includes the Pine Creek Trail. Down sides are that it includes one nasty climb between Jersey Shore and Elmsport (ask me how I know), and it uses extremely busy roads from Sunbury to Harrisburg. And the total distanced would be close to 400 miles. Tall order for 4 days.
Old 04-17-18, 11:41 AM
Amyb3517

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Get Google Maps bike directions. The primary route returned is not that hilly at all. Upside is that includes the Pine Creek Trail. Down sides are that it includes one nasty climb between Jersey Shore and Elmsport (ask me how I know), and it uses extremely busy roads from Sunbury to Harrisburg. And the total distanced would be close to 400 miles. Tall order for 4 days.
Too tall? I could certainly stretch it to 6 days.... how about that nasty climb?
I dont think I have ever been to Jersey Shore
Old 04-17-18, 12:10 PM
indyfabz

how about that nasty climb?

I dont think I have ever been to Jersey Shore

Wasn't too proud to walk the 12% pitch:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/23514684

You haven't missed anything by missing Jersey Shore, PA. It just so happens to be the southern terminus of the Pine Creek Trail.

Have fun!
Old 04-17-18, 01:10 PM
Karman321

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I’m planning on going from ny to Miami I can use train or bus where I need. Want to get there by May 10th. Taking a tent and sleeping setup and change of clothes so plan to eat from grocery stores or restaurants. Anyone stealth camp? Anyone have good routes? Should I train to Philadelphia to avoid killer hills? Any advice appreciated
Old 04-17-18, 01:12 PM
Karman321

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I’ve never done any multi-day long trip bike rides. I have done a couple of century rides, but want to try to up my game this year. I am going to try to leave from Rochester and make it to Mechanicsburg PA, and then on to Odenton Maryland in four days. I am worried about Pennsylvania as it is extremely hilly. Any advice ?
When are you leaving?
Old 04-18-18, 08:57 AM
Amyb3517

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Karman321
When are you leaving?
I am shooting for mid July
Old 04-19-18, 10:45 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by capper66
End of June : Pine Creek Trail
I did much of the One Creek Trail (Ansonia to the end in Jersey Shore, PA) last September during a cross-PA ride. Nice trail, although the northern end is more interesting. Startled a young bear on the shore below me. Managed to get a photo after he swam across the creek. Also saw a bald eagle. This place is a must stop if you want a custom sandwich:

Slate Run Tackle Shop|Fly Fishing In PA

They take a bit longer than usual, but they are worth the wait. Get one to go and take it down by the creek.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
PINE CREEK BEAR 2.jpg (1.82 MB, 187 views)
Old 04-19-18, 12:33 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Take the cross NH trail. Starts in Bethel, ME, goes along the top of the white mts. to below St Johnsbury, VT. Most of it is quiet dirt roads and bike paths. Heading up to Groton SF, VT. From there a stop at Mike's Tiki bar at Kingdom Trails in E. Burke. Loop back down to the start, 5 days should work.
Old 04-19-18, 12:56 PM
TheLibrarian

Bikes: 2014 Giant Roam

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm shooting for New Haven to the MA border over three days on the farmington canal trail for my first multi day tour. Could possibly go to Amherst, MA and get a ride back. Not sure if there's anything interesting along the way. Doesn't look like there is any camping near the trail either. Ill probably stay at a hotel 2/3rds of the way there then ride to the border and back to the same hotel the 2nd day then all the way back the third. 40 miles a day is longer than I've ridden and it'll be back to back days. I'm going to try the first third or so this weekend.
Old 04-19-18, 02:25 PM
Karman321

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheLibrarian
I'm shooting for New Haven to the MA border over three days on the farmington canal trail for my first multi day tour. Could possibly go to Amherst, MA and get a ride back. Not sure if there's anything interesting along the way. Doesn't look like there is any camping near the trail either. Ill probably stay at a hotel 2/3rds of the way there then ride to the border and back to the same hotel the 2nd day then all the way back the third. 40 miles a day is longer than I've ridden and it'll be back to back days. I'm going to try the first third or so this weekend.
Right in my necks of the woods. Let me know if you need any assistance
Old 04-21-18, 08:42 PM
Jzaharek53

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
3000 miles from Portugal to Slovenia
Old 04-23-18, 03:16 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 178 Posts
Planning a ride from El Paso to Austin, quick before it gets too hot!

While I set up separate web sites for my long trips, I decided to try a CGOAB journal again for this one: https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/mevtexas2018
Old 04-23-18, 05:27 PM
Kengh

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For my second major bike tour I'm taking a train up to Vancouver, BC this weekend. I'll ride the coast down to LA then head East once I reach Los Angeles. From there I'll make my way to the Grand Canyon before looping back Northwest via Utah and Nevada to get back into California. I have one other tour under my belt - the Southern Tier of the US back in 2012. I blogged that entire trip and plan to do the same for this adventure. If anyone is interested in in my adventure or is just contemplating doing a similar route, feel free to drop by and check the blog out.
Old 04-23-18, 08:37 PM
alias5000

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Streetmachine GTE, 2015 Devinci Silverstone SL4, 2012 Cannondale Road Tandem 2, Circe Morpheus, 2021 Rose Backroad, 2017 Devinci Hatchet

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Kengh
For my second major bike tour I'm taking a train up to Vancouver, BC this weekend. I'll ride the coast down to LA then head East once I reach Los Angeles. From there I'll make my way to the Grand Canyon before looping back Northwest via Utah and Nevada to get back into California.
This sounds like one of my dream tours. Enjoy!
Old 04-29-18, 07:36 PM
k0guz

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, 2016 REI Mazama hybrid, 2023 Tern D7i folding bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 17 Posts
We're leaving on May 5 to travel from Colorado to do the Rock Island / Katy trail in Missouri. Staying in AirBnBs along the way. It should be interesting to see what it's like to do FLAT!
Old 05-06-18, 09:29 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Cut the three-day down to two days because a front was forecast to come through Saturday night, which would make riding up the coast to catch the train home miserable. Made the right decision as by 9 a.m. where I was headed it was raining with a windchill of 36. It was still nice to get out, if only for one night. Train from Philly to Lindenwold, NJ, ride to Belleplain State Forest in the Pinelands at Woodbine, NJ then up the cost Saturday to Atlantic City to catch the train home. Stopped to say "Hi" to Lucy, who lives in Margate and has a constant ocean view. Just over 100 miles total.
You wimp! I've lost track of how many nights I got snowed on good, lol. 😁😉 But we have about a week in the 80s F coming now, so maybe I can bake out my flu, which is almost entirely in my lungs. 😯
Speaking of Jersey, I just read Born To Run, about The Boss (Bruce Springsteen). 😎 It's only a couple years old, not as old as it first sounds.
Old 08-23-18, 09:22 PM
LuckySailor

Bikes: Trek 520 total custom build, Cannondale Mountain Tandem, Oryx Mountain Bike

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Tour Arctic is now in the books! 35 days from Vancouver to Tuktoyuktuk. The Dempster Highway and the ITH (Inuvik Tuk Highway) is a beast to ride when it's raining, and can be a beast when it's dry with all the dust generated by tractor trailers, 4 wheelers, and motorhomes. The ITH was finished in November 2017, and now makes year road round travel to Tuk possible. Tour length was 3135 km (1935 mi.) Wildlife seen: 2 grizzly bears, a half dozen black bears, usually with a couple young ones in tow, Canadian lynx, eagles, ptarmigans, a couple moose-very far away though, and some other birds. Disappointed at the lack of wildlife for such a long tour in the wilderness though. The Northwest Territory had my favorite scenery, but my wife and daughter liked Yukon better. Top speed- 73.5 km/h (45.6 mph) downhill on gravel! Nothing to see in Tuk. It's poor, and desolate. Nice people, but they don't really want the tourism. However, it's getting rammed down their throats whether they like it or not. Dawson City, and Whitehorse are gems. Inuvik was nice too. Lots to see in the Yukon. The Sign Post Forrest, was one of my highlights. The Northern Science and Space Museum was ok.
Old 08-26-18, 01:41 PM
ctbiker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mostly rail trails for me this year: P'tit Train du Nord (above Montreal), Erie Canal in NY, and Idaho's Trail of the Coeur d'Alenes and Route of the Hiawatha

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.