Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

What Else Did You Just Buy For Your Bike? Thread Thread Thread..... Thread

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

What Else Did You Just Buy For Your Bike? Thread Thread Thread..... Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-18, 01:56 PM
bmwjoe

Bikes: Pinarello FP Due, Cesare track bike modified for the street.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 25 Posts
The other day I picked up a little temporary rear fender called an Ass Saver. It is simply a flat piece of plastic with a few scores in it to facilitate creasing. It slides under the seat and locks in with a simple fold. I rode with it yesterday in the heavy run-off from Thursday's Nor'easter. It worked a treat. I rode ~40 miles through lots of puddles and I was dry. It kept the gritty mess off my butt, which is just what I wanted. When I don't need it it will slip into my backpack for the next rain event.

Ass Saver temporary fender

Close Up

Underside showing how it locks onto seat frame.
Old 11-18-18, 05:33 PM
ryan_rides

Bikes: 2018 Aventon Cordoba 2021 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by bmwjoe
The other day I picked up a little temporary rear fender called an Ass Saver. It is simply a flat piece of plastic with a few scores in it to facilitate creasing. It slides under the seat and locks in with a simple fold. I rode with it yesterday in the heavy run-off from Thursday's Nor'easter. It worked a treat. I rode ~40 miles through lots of puddles and I was dry. It kept the gritty mess off my butt, which is just what I wanted. When I don't need it it will slip into my backpack for the next rain event.

Ass Saver temporary fender

Close Up

Underside showing how it locks onto seat frame.
You didn't slide it all the way in. Its not locked.
Old 11-18-18, 06:39 PM
bmwjoe

You can't slide it 1mm farther forward, trust me. My seat pack bracket limits the motion. It is very well locked in place.

Ride Safe,

Joe
Old 11-18-18, 09:36 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
^^ did it come with the tray?

I wish mine had the tray.

-Tim-
The Aldi stand has one, and I have the Aldi stand.
Old 11-18-18, 10:30 PM
ryan_rides

Originally Posted by ryan_rides
You didn't slide it all the way in. Its not locked.

This is how it's supposed to look. The protruding curved edges are suposed to go in front of the rails.
Old 11-18-18, 11:00 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
The Aldi stand has one, and I have the Aldi stand.
Then yours was probably less than my $40 craigslist stand.
Old 11-19-18, 07:16 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Thanks for the report on this product. I'm considering getting something similar.

What do you use behind the front wheel? If you say there's nothing up front but you kept dry, I'll have a hard time believing you rode through any serious puddles.
Old 11-19-18, 07:28 PM
bmwjoe

Originally Posted by Broctoon
Thanks for the report on this product. I'm considering getting something similar.

What do you use behind the front wheel? If you say there's nothing up front but you kept dry, I'll have a hard time believing you rode through any serious puddles.
Define serous... There were some typical puddles 1/8 to +1" deep along my 40 mile trek. The downtube keeps a lot of water off my front. I also have 23c slick tires so they shed water in a very thin line. Knobies or wide tires may not be as well behaved. I did get a little water on me, but it was nothing compared to w/o a fender. Usually on my first puddle I get water down my butt and I am soaked through after 3-4 puddles. This was a big improvement.
Old 11-19-18, 09:42 PM
ryan_rides

Originally Posted by Broctoon

They also make a front fender with a velcro strap
Old 11-20-18, 12:48 AM
StirFry

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts
Old 11-20-18, 04:22 AM
mouse
dumb

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by StirFry
Yum! Those flats look nice!
Old 11-20-18, 12:55 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,068 Times in 636 Posts
Originally Posted by StirFry
New bar day, sweet!
Old 11-24-18, 12:55 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Define serous... There were some typical puddles 1/8 to +1" deep along my 40 mile trek. The downtube keeps a lot of water off my front. I also have 23c slick tires so they shed water in a very thin line. Knobies or wide tires may not be as well behaved. I did get a little water on me, but it was nothing compared to w/o a fender. Usually on my first puddle I get water down my butt and I am soaked through after 3-4 puddles. This was a big improvement.
Okay, I can see that. Slick, narrow tires don't pick up a whole lot of water, and the down tube can serve as a sort of fender. I've seen some minimalist fenders (front and rear) similar to the one you have and thought they both seem like a good idea.
Old 11-24-18, 01:17 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts
Old 11-29-18, 04:21 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts

These are for my road bike since I've been riding a little again and riding on the trainer with a friend. I'll see what the track bike needs when it gets more miles. All my handle bars need to come up cuz I'm slow and got a gut now 😅
Old 11-30-18, 07:54 PM
Minion1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by ryan_rides

This is how it's supposed to look. The protruding curved edges are suposed to go in front of the rails.
Might not be considered helpful but that's not right either you can pull that thing back about an inch and a half. The point where you fold the nose up is supposed to lock against the rails, where the plastic is currently touching the rails is about where the nose of the ass saver should be.
Old 11-30-18, 08:21 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Di2 Darth Vader edition. It's a road derailleur with a clutch because of gravel.

Old 11-30-18, 09:03 PM
halfmile

Bikes: '76 ROMIC Touring Pro 100

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
'76 ROMIC Tour Pro 100

Changed out the origional pedals to Shimano GR 500 Flat Platform Pedals. I have an issue with plantar fasciitis and this really helped.
Old 12-01-18, 11:06 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Originally Posted by hairnet
[img] https://i.imgur.com/5Ey3iAV.jpg

These are for my road bike since I've been riding a little again and riding on the trainer with a friend. I'll see what the track bike needs when it gets more miles. All my handle bars need to come up cuz I'm slow and got a gut now 😅
id be interested to know how you get along with that bar tape.
Old 12-01-18, 02:57 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,957 Times in 2,645 Posts
@TimothyH: Oooooh just what the doctor ordered ; ) (RX hahahaha)

I am probably going to be getting a Cane Creek 110 headset for the Langster and maybe a ENVE crabon fork but haven't pulled the trigger yet because now my friends don't want to buy the green fork so I might just keep that but I still need a headset, not running cheap caged bearings if it came with a Dura Ace 7400 or Campagnolo Record headset that might be different but I would probably still go sealed cartridge so I don't have to do a bunch of headset maintenance.
Old 12-02-18, 07:38 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by seamuis

id be interested to know how you get along with that bar tape.

I taped the handle bar yesterday then went for a ride and I like it a lot! It is thick and not all that stretchy so wrapping was a little difficult, I had to use the extra strip provided to cover the brake lever clamp when I normally have no problem without it. They did a good job of mimicking the feel of leather without making it rubbery for grip. I should post a photo soon, it's good stuff

Last edited by hairnet; 12-02-18 at 07:42 PM.
Old 12-02-18, 10:17 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,957 Times in 2,645 Posts
I used the tape as well on a touring bike I built up for fun and it seems quite nice granted I haven't spent a ton of time on the bike (way too small for me) I like what I felt. Correct about it not being very stretchy at all though.
Old 12-03-18, 12:24 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Originally Posted by hairnet
I taped the handle bar yesterday then went for a ride and I like it a lot! It is thick and not all that stretchy so wrapping was a little difficult, I had to use the extra strip provided to cover the brake lever clamp when I normally have no problem without it. They did a good job of mimicking the feel of leather without making it rubbery for grip. I should post a photo soon, it's good stuff
i normally use leather tape, and I’ve used brooks in the past, but the quality is rather iffy nowadays because the leather tape is mass manufactured in different countries. I’ve been looking at the microfibre tape a replacement for leather on builds I do for other people, but haven’t been able to find any first hand opinion on it. I appreciate sharing your initial thoughts, as they are indeed helpful. Let me know how it holds up. Cheers, mate.
Old 12-03-18, 12:27 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Originally Posted by veganbikes
I used the tape as well on a touring bike I built up for fun and it seems quite nice granted I haven't spent a ton of time on the bike (way too small for me) I like what I felt. Correct about it not being very stretchy at all though.
the lack of stretch tells me it mimics leather pretty well. I consider that a good thing, if the point of the tape was to be a cheaper option to real leather. That’s helpful, because now I know it will wrap the same as leather.
Old 12-04-18, 07:07 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.