Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Ghost Bike Removed.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Ghost Bike Removed.

Old 01-12-19, 09:48 AM
flyingPiggy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ghost Bike Removed.

So I learned this morning right before I was going for a ride...

In Richmond VA, the "ghost bike" memorial for Lenie Kruszewski who was killed by a hit and run six years ago had been taken down by a homeowner who recently built a house next to it.
And it looks like that homeowner is one of the bigwig for *edited out*. Now I am not sure of this but the post I’ve seen on facebook tells me so. Granted that only the facebook posting claims that the homeowner is a *edited* exec, I felt that I do need to share this here with you all.

It is very sad to let go one of us in a such way. It angers me to see that the memorial for such person is taken down.

Here are some of the links regarding this.
WTVR - Local News Outlet
https://wtvr.com/2019/01/07/roadside...y-appropriate/

Local News Paper
https://www.richmond.com/news/photos...1531e9c.html#1

the Facebook Post.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...&ref=bookmarks

* If this sad news is already shared, and any mod. or admin wants to move it to sub-forum or remove, do so.

Last edited by flyingPiggy; 01-15-19 at 09:45 PM. Reason: edited out skme personal info.
Old 01-12-19, 12:39 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
What people should do is lock up a whole bunch of ghost bikes in memorial in that same spot. Just do it!
Old 01-12-19, 12:56 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
What people should do is lock up a whole bunch of ghost bikes in memorial in that same spot. Just do it!
Suggest that the OP and/or veganbikes provide their home address so that anguished BFers can chain up junk bikes in front of their homes to commemorate whatever happened sometime, somewhere to somebody. A win-win for everybody.
Old 01-12-19, 01:03 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Suggest that the OP and/or veganbikes provide their home address so that anguished BFers can chain up junk bikes in front of their homes to commemorate whatever happened sometime, somewhere to somebody. A win-win for everybody.
Old 01-12-19, 01:29 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1751 Post(s)
Liked 1,422 Times in 973 Posts
Thirty year ago you'd never see a 'white bike' or similar memorial at a spot where someone died in an accident of any type. If the white bike is causing a danger to others (pedestrians, other bicycle riders, vehicles), then it should be removed as it could cause problems itself. If its on private property, then the property owner should have given his/her blessing before it was installed. A lot I've seen in Southern California just turn into eyesores as the bicycle deteriorates and becomes a rusty hunk after 6 months.

FWIW: Not sure of this, but it appears whenever someone gets killed in a bicycle accident around my area, and a white bike memorial is set up that doesn't interfere with anything, the City will leave it up for a few months before removing it. There are plenty of flower memorials around town (vehicle accidents), some I know have been in place for over a decade; one on my way to work has been in place over 15 years and, although it has shrunk in size, its being well-maintained.
Old 01-12-19, 01:40 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
If she wants to remind drivers to be careful, she should rent billboard space somewhere. Or buy the property herself; not expect some other property owner to host it for free and in perpetuity.
Old 01-12-19, 02:16 PM
flyingPiggy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by skidder
Thirty year ago you'd never see a 'white bike' or similar memorial at a spot where someone died in an accident of any type. If the white bike is causing a danger to others (pedestrians, other bicycle riders, vehicles), then it should be removed as it could cause problems itself. If its on private property, then the property owner should have given his/her blessing before it was installed.
With all due respect, I do agree on some points you have made. However in this case, the ghost bike has been on the city property and right next to the city border. The city did not want to remove it. The homeowner’s house is on the other side of city border. It looked like the memorial has been maintained. On top of that AFIK there has been a talk between the homeowner and the family member of the fallen cyclist. He simply ignored all that. Could have been handled better... way better imho.

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
If she wants to remind drivers to be careful, she should rent billboard space somewhere. Or buy the property herself; not expect some other property owner to host it for free and in perpetuity.
Like I said, it’s been on the city property and the city did not remove it which lead me to believe that there hasn’t been any complain(except that home owner and which the city declined to remove it).

I’d really appreciate it if you actually read the article I have linked.

Thank you.

Many Happy and Safe Miles to You.
Old 01-12-19, 02:31 PM
EdwinHeadwind
Banned.

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by flyingPiggy
With all due respect ...
You're giving more than some folks here deserve, frankly.
Old 01-12-19, 02:52 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Ghost bikes are not permanent monuments, and neither are roadside markers/crosses. They are eventually removed. You cannot leave one en perpetua on private and public properties without the approval of the owner(s). Please do not direct anger toward that person, it's uncivil. As connected as you may feel to the deceased, they are no different than any other person.

We all die. Find a positive outlet to express your grief and memorialize the cyclist.

Please close this thread.
Old 01-12-19, 03:38 PM
flyingPiggy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rollfast
Ghost bikes are not permanent monuments, and neither are roadside markers/crosses. They are eventually removed. You cannot leave one en perpetua on private and public properties without the approval of the owner(s). Please do not direct anger toward that person, it's uncivil. As connected as you may feel to the deceased, they are no different than any other person.

We all die. Find a positive outlet to express your grief and memorialize the cyclist.

Please close this thread.
I do agree on all the points you have made. I am not even connected to that person any other way than just being a fellow cyclist. Like I said, I agree the ghost bike is not permanent, I mean I agree with you on all points! However, I am not happy that the person removed the memorial which was in public property(city of Richmond) which upon the homeowner's request to remove it, did not remove it. Then the Homeowner while in talk with the family, proceeded to remove it and have the bike in his procession. I mean.. come on that's not right. I admit that I started it all by posting this thread on this forum, I do not want any one getting hurt or not being 'civil'. I will close it. Oops I am newbie here, how do I close the thread? Can I even do it? Should I just remove it?

Many Happy and Safe Miles to You.
Old 01-12-19, 06:42 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Like I said, it’s been on the city property and the city did not remove it which lead me to believe that there hasn’t been any complain(except that home owner and which the city declined to remove it).
My point was, it wasn't HER property.
Old 01-12-19, 07:23 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
I think this ghost bike thing has been a colossal mistake, helping to make bicycling look more dangerous than it is. I can't think of another instance where memorials are commonly another of the type of vehicle the person was using when they were killed.

Frankly, if there was one of these things in front of my home 6 years after the accident and the city was too cowardly to remove it, I am pretty sure I'd cut it down. Life needs to go on on that street, it is not going to forever be known primarily as the place where a bicyclist was killed.

Everyone has, if they've lived long enough, experienced the tragic loss of a loved one. Like it or not, we have no right to a permanent symbol of that grief on public property. And, really, if everyone was entitled to such a permanent monument at the place they were killed, the cities would be choked with them within a few decades.
Old 01-12-19, 07:40 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
It's not a thing here, thankfully.
Old 01-12-19, 07:57 PM
flyingPiggy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Now I regret posting this thread.

I do not think the memorial(ghost bike) has to be there indefinitely. If it was the city or appropriate authority(if it was on private property, that mean that property owner) who had removed it, I'd not have bothered to post or given thought to share it. I do have problem with a person who remove it with no authority without asking.

I posted it here because I saw the sticky. On this sub forum, it says Wall of Remembrance. You will find her name there among many others.
One of the reasons I love cycling is camaraderie. Now I can not say that I am not disappointed. I understand and agree that there can be other forms of remembrance. But Like I said... least you can do is asking before removing it. I do blame my poor english for any miscommunication. For that, I am sorry.

I will not write on this thread anymore.
I do not have problem if a mod. or admin find this thread inappropriate and remove it.

I do hope, wish, and pray that all of you enjoy many happy and safe miles.

Last edited by flyingPiggy; 01-12-19 at 08:04 PM.
Old 01-12-19, 07:57 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
I have seen a few around Charlotte that have been here more than ten years and appear to still be in great shape. I can’t blame a property owner for removing them.
Old 01-12-19, 08:10 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
I'm not sure I support these ghost bikes. They can cut both ways. There's one not far from my home that has been there for couple of years now. I ride by fairly often. Investigation of the incident determined the cyclist was at fault. It was night, no lights and dark clothing (very common here with many student cyclists) and the cyclist turned suddenly left, to cross a two lane right in front of an oncoming car. Don't know.
Old 01-12-19, 08:48 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Unfortunately there is not a good place to chain up bikes near my house and it is not a public road but you are more than welcome to chain up outside my development or you can chain up at the huge gates a newer neighbor had built to keep people from being able to access their backyards (however small they might be) from outside the house.

If you do come by I will offer tea and cookies if I have them or cook y'all something or maybe take you out to lunch or dinner. Maybe we could also go for a ride as well. If we really get along I might even let y'all ride one of mine which is a privilege very few share. Or we could go hiking, it isn't a spectacular trail but is a nice one considering the area or if those aren't your thing we could sit around and play games, invite some folks over and have a party.
Old 01-12-19, 08:58 PM
BikingTech

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So I learned this morning right before I was going for a ride...

In Richmond VA, the "ghost bike" memorial for Lenie Kruszewski who was killed by a hit and run six years ago had been taken down by a homeowner who recently built a house next to it.
Six years is more than plenty to hold a memorial. Boise had a well publicized hit and run story and the Ghost bike was finally removed after 3 or 4 years without any comments.
Old 01-12-19, 09:46 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I don't mean any disrespect but roadside memorials can get out of hand. I see many along the streets and highways where a loved one died. Now if I owned property, having a roadside memorial in front of my home would be a issue.

As an alternative, it would be nice if family and friends were allowed to sponsor that stretch of road and keep it clean. Then be allowed to put a sign under the street sign saying its maintained in someone's memory.

Here's a story about the mother of a murdered daughter who was run over by a home owner that objected to a roadside memorial.
https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...501628131.html
Old 01-13-19, 01:35 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
And, really, if everyone was entitled to such a permanent monument at the place they were killed, the cities would be choked with them within a few decades.
That's a good thing. Drivers need to be reminded of the death toll they're exacting from society, particularly the numbers of pedestrians killed by careless, indifferent and reckless drivers.

There's a perception that most pedestrians and cyclists killed by driver negligence are somehow at fault for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. But I know of many in our area who were killed while legally crossing streets, or legally riding their bikes. There are virtually no commensurate consequences for negligent drivers. Thoughts and prayers. Minimal liability insurance payouts.

Disposing of roadside memorials contributes to this victim blaming and nobody's-fault attitude.

Sometimes positive change occurs only through civil disobedience. Sometimes society needs to be inconvenienced to understand that their "convenience" costs other people pain, injuries and death.

If you believe strongly enough in a cause, sometimes civil disobedience is necessary. Sink a concrete filled post hole, weld a bike to a metal post and make sure it reappears every time one is removed.
Old 01-13-19, 02:55 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 292 Posts
Now I regret posting this thread.

I do not think the memorial(ghost bike) has to be there indefinitely. If it was the city or appropriate authority(if it was on private property, that mean that property owner) who had removed it, I'd not have bothered to post or given thought to share it. I do have problem with a person who remove it with no authority without asking.

I posted it here because I saw the sticky. On this sub forum, it says Wall of Remembrance. You will find her name there among many others.
One of the reasons I love cycling is camaraderie. Now I can not say that I am not disappointed. I understand and agree that there can be other forms of remembrance. But Like I said... least you can do is asking before removing it. I do blame my poor english for any miscommunication. For that, I am sorry.

I will not write on this thread anymore.
I do not have problem if a mod. or admin find this thread inappropriate and remove it.

I do hope, wish, and pray that all of you enjoy many happy and safe miles.
You don’t have, or even need, to apologize.

You have simply come across the crankier BF sub-forum,

Welcome!
Old 01-13-19, 05:47 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
That's a good thing. Drivers need to be reminded of the death toll they're exacting from society, particularly the numbers of pedestrians killed by careless, indifferent and reckless drivers.

There's a perception that most pedestrians and cyclists killed by driver negligence are somehow at fault for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. But I know of many in our area who were killed while legally crossing streets, or legally riding their bikes. There are virtually no commensurate consequences for negligent drivers. Thoughts and prayers. Minimal liability insurance payouts.

Disposing of roadside memorials contributes to this victim blaming and nobody's-fault attitude.

Sometimes positive change occurs only through civil disobedience. Sometimes society needs to be inconvenienced to understand that their "convenience" costs other people pain, injuries and death.

If you believe strongly enough in a cause, sometimes civil disobedience is necessary. Sink a concrete filled post hole, weld a bike to a metal post and make sure it reappears every time one is removed.
And if you're a child growing up in a city covered in white bikes from accidents from decades ago, are you ever going to want to ride a bike? Besides, if the message is aimed at drivers, a locked up bike is a pretty crummy medium.

​​​​​It's lousy messaging, conveys no information about what actually happened and when, imposes itself on people who likely have nothing to do with the event, and frankly is just giving some people more reasons to hate bikes.
Old 01-13-19, 06:12 AM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I can't stand those ghost bikes and other memorials, they're ridiculous. I feel honestly bad for the people that died, but having these goofy home-made memorials is not the answer, imo. As I always tell my wife, if I get killed while out riding, do NOT put up a ghost bike up in my name.

An interesting story about these memorials: A few years ago we were driving down a highway, and in the middle was a small island of grass. And there, with cars passing on both sides at freeway speeds, was a woman installing a home-made memorial. Next to her was her 1 or 2 y/o little girl walking around on the grass with cars flying by within inches of her, while the (oblivious) mom carefully set up the flowers and cards. There could easily have been the need for a 2nd memorial that day..
Old 01-13-19, 07:01 AM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by oldnslow2
I don't mean any disrespect but roadside memorials can get out of hand. I see many along the streets and highways where a loved one died. Now if I owned property, having a roadside memorial in front of my home would be a issue.

As an alternative, it would be nice if family and friends were allowed to sponsor that stretch of road and keep it clean. Then be allowed to put a sign under the street sign saying its maintained in someone's memory.

Here's a story about the mother of a murdered daughter who was run over by a home owner that objected to a roadside memorial.
https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...501628131.html
An excellent suggestion.
Old 01-13-19, 10:38 AM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2424 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 891 Posts
Someone is mourning.

It's respect.

At least for a little while.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.