Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

In case of emergency...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

In case of emergency...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-19, 04:58 PM
RockiesDad

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 17 Posts
In case of emergency...

I usually ride by myself and once is awhile go off the beaten path. It occurred to me that if anything happened and then find myself unconscious, no one would know who I am or who to contact in case of an emergency on a trip to the hospital. My question is what are some of the ways you put emergency contact information on your bike or yourselves if something should happen. I do have a small repair kit so maybe I should add some info it there or maybe carry a wallet. Any other ideas on where to store this info?
Old 01-14-19, 05:00 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Driver's license, insurance card and emergency contact info. Even weight weenies can carry that much.
Old 01-14-19, 05:01 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,962 Times in 4,688 Posts
https://www.roadid.com/?referrer=606...SAAEgImjvD_BwE

I wear one of these all the time, since I rarely carry a wallet and am definitely of the age at which a heart attack or stroke would not be a huge surprise.
Old 01-14-19, 05:05 PM
Wattsup

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by RockiesDad
I usually ride by myself and once is awhile go off the beaten path. It occurred to me that if anything happened and then find myself unconscious, no one would know who I am or who to contact in case of an emergency on a trip to the hospital. My question is what are some of the ways you put emergency contact information on your bike or yourselves if something should happen. I do have a small repair kit so maybe I should add some info it there or maybe carry a wallet. Any other ideas on where to store this info?
You can wear one of those ID bracelets. EMT's know to look for them. There's a code on the bracelet that directs anyone concerned to a website that will list your name, contact info, emergency contact, medical history and any allergies. Me personally, I just make sure I have a clean pair of undies on before I head out on the bike.
Old 01-14-19, 05:11 PM
EdwinHeadwind
Banned.

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
Get a bunch of those Etsy temporary tattoos:

Old 01-14-19, 05:51 PM
JasonD67

Bikes: BMC Teammachine SLR02 Disc, Cannondale CAAD 4

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
I carry a copy of my drivers license and insurance card in my jersey pocket in a baggie with my phone. I wrote my contact numbers on the back of the DL.
Old 01-14-19, 05:54 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
https://www.roadid.com/?referrer=606...SAAEgImjvD_BwE

I wear one of these all the time, since I rarely carry a wallet and am definitely of the age at which a heart attack or stroke would not be a huge surprise.
Road ID works well. In a major crash you might be separated from your bike. or wallet.
Old 01-14-19, 05:54 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 90 Posts
Being identified is the easy part. Any emergency responders will search your person/bike for any pertinent information.

If you really do stray from the beaten path, I'd give some thought to being found in the first place.
Old 01-14-19, 06:04 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by kaos joe
Being identified is the easy part. Any emergency responders will search your person/bike for any pertinent information.

If you really do stray from the beaten path, I'd give some thought to being found in the first place.
I had dog tags made, including meds, have my wife identified as ICE on my cell phone. Also use Strava Beacon so my wife can follow me.. or direct authorities to my remains.
Old 01-14-19, 06:04 PM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
If you carry a phone first responders can access emergency info on it even if it is locked.
Old 01-14-19, 06:08 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,084 Times in 1,180 Posts
On road rides I have a baggie in my back jersey pocket with my phone, license, ATM card and my bike club membership card which has emergency contact info. on the back.

On all mt. bike rides, especially solo, I have my phone and wallet in my CamelBak with same info.

All my rides are tracked on a Garmin which has LiveTrack running. When I mt. bike solo I text my wife right before I roll, telling her when I think I'll be back at the car and I text her when I get back. She can also watch the LiveTrack trace develop.

I had a buddy take a fall on a solo mt. bike ride, he was unable to accurately communicate his position to EMS. He lay with a broken neck vertebrae for 45 minute on a cold November morning till they found him. This was on a trail about 30 ft. from a paved bike path in suburban Long Island. He commented after had it been 20 degrees out (like this morning) he might have frozen to death.
Old 01-14-19, 06:09 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by FBOATSB
If you carry a phone first responders can access emergency info on it even if it is locked.
How do they do that??
Old 01-14-19, 06:27 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Road ID has my name and my wife's name and ph. number. Same info on my iPhone lock screen.
Old 01-14-19, 06:44 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I have a cheapo wallet that I take with me on rides. One side has a sleeve covered by clear plastic (presumably for an ID). I put a folded piece of paper in there with "Emergency Info" visible from the outside of the wallet. Inside, I have emergency contacts, insurance info, current meds, and allergies (none).

I also have my Android phone set up to share my location with my SO through our Google accounts. Maybe helpful, but I'm not sure if it works in rural areas without cell/data service.
Old 01-14-19, 06:46 PM
FBOATSB

Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
How do they do that??
It's right on my lock screen.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Case_of_Emergency

Locked phonesEdit

For security purposes, many mobile phone owners now lock their mobiles, requiring a passcode to be entered in order to access the device. This hinders the ability of first responders to access the ICE phone list entry. In response to this problem, many device manufacturers have provided a mechanism to specify some text to be displayed while the mobile is in the locked state. The owner of the phone can specify their "In Case of Emergency" contact and also a "Lost and Found" contact. For example, BlackBerrymobiles permit the "Owner" information to be set in the Settings → Options → Owner menu item. Android users running Android Nougat(Android 7.0) or higher also have the ability to program emergency information and contact details accessible by others through the emergency call screen when the device is locked.[5] Emergency contacts can be added to iPhone lock screens with the iOS Healthapplication, and accessed by tapping or swiping to the Emergency dialer, where a calls to 911 or another pre-specified number can be made, and the Medical ID button is displayed as well. When accessing this Medical ID, the user's name, health information, allergies and medications can be listed, along with the ability to directly contact listed emergency contacts.[6]

Alternatively, some handsets provide access to a list of ICE contacts directly from the "locked" screen. There are also smartphone "apps" (applications) that allow custom ICE and emergency information to be displayed on the "locked" screen. For instance, the Medical ID Android app enables quick access to medical information and emergency contacts.
Old 01-14-19, 06:54 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,968 Times in 1,917 Posts
By law in the USA, if you're out in public, you must have state issued photo I.D. on person if 18 or older.
A driver's license serves as photo I.D. Traveling out on an unbeaten path out in public does not exempt one from carrying proper I.D.
it's a requirement. America.
Old 01-14-19, 06:56 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Bikes: Giant Talon 29 - Specialized Diverge E5 Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 33 Posts
My license lives in my front left hand pocket of my jeans, shorts or whatever I'm wearing. Never lave home without it.
Old 01-14-19, 07:19 PM
FBOATSB

Originally Posted by Troul
By law in the USA, if you're out in public, you must have state issued photo I.D. on person if 18 or older.
A driver's license serves as photo I.D. Traveling out on an unbeaten path out in public does not exempt one from carrying proper I.D.
Nope.
Old 01-14-19, 07:28 PM
Cuyuna

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah, right. Achtung! Zeig mir deine Papiere!!
Old 01-14-19, 07:35 PM
FBOATSB

You don't even have to tell a cop your name unless they have probable cause to detain you, like pulling you over, however if you're lying on the ground broken, bleeding, unconcious, you kinda sorta want everybody to know who you are
Old 01-14-19, 07:55 PM
mynewnchome

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8 Raleigh Revenio 1.0

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
I use a Lezyne micro, the Lezyne lineup offers this feature which sends an email to whoever I select each time I start a ride without me having to do anything. Kinda cool.

Old 01-14-19, 07:59 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
+1 RoadID. I have the clip version that fits on my Garmin Fenix watch. I also have emergency contact info written with a Sharpie on my helmet on the outside so it can be seen. Overkill? Maybe, but I ride alone 95% of the time.
Old 01-14-19, 08:15 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Another vote for road ID. I wear it on every ride no matter what. I also got a second one and attached it to my bike just in case we are separated and they can’t find me but can find my bike. I know a bit paranoid. I also give these as gifts all the time. A cheap deal really and well made. I no longer carry my cell phone but I do carry cash and a photo copy of my drivers license in my saddle bag just in case.
Old 01-14-19, 08:16 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by EdwinHeadwind
Get a bunch of those Etsy temporary tattoos:

this is is a great idea too. I am going to get these and put them on my kids forhead!
Old 01-14-19, 08:18 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Baloney!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.