Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Hibernation is over! Fantasy 2019 Giro + General Giro discussion

Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Hibernation is over! Fantasy 2019 Giro + General Giro discussion

Old 05-30-19, 07:54 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 444 Posts
Old 05-30-19, 11:34 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Riders On The Storm takes stage 18! Whoooooo Hoooooo!

(Ackermann... what an ace-in-the-hole he has been)
Old 05-31-19, 01:35 AM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts
ackermann is an interesting case. looking for him to contest whatever stages are sprinter doable in the vuelta. it’ll be interesting to see if he takes over bora’s top sprinter role with sagan focusing less on gt’s and more on spring classics/one day races. or if the team rocks both depending on the stage profiles. unsure of either rider’s contractual obligations so things could change tomorrow or in two years.
Old 05-31-19, 02:26 AM
Caretaker
Heretic

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant OCR3, Giant CRS3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2827 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
ackermann is an interesting case. looking for him to contest whatever stages are sprinter doable in the vuelta. it’ll be interesting to see if he takes over bora’s top sprinter role with sagan focusing less on gt’s and more on spring classics/one day races. or if the team rocks both depending on the stage profiles. unsure of either rider’s contractual obligations so things could change tomorrow or in two years.
You're forgetting Sam Bennett who won 3 stages in Giro 2018.
Old 05-31-19, 03:32 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Is that a thing? I didn't see any news. Where is he cutting back? He couldn't ride less Giros. He's done la Vuelta about half the time, I think depending on what the World's course looks like. Le Tour?

Originally Posted by Caretaker
You're forgetting Sam Bennett who won 3 stages in Giro 2018.
That was a good year for him. I wonder what the Ackerman-Bennett dynamic is in the team. Anyway, Bora has been all present and accounted for at the Giro both of these years while Peter frolicks in sunny CA.

Originally Posted by slcbob
But who will work to make it a bunch sprint?

I say the break survives.
Can we pause for a moment and admire just how right I was? One could be scarcely be less right and still be right. It's a gift. And the humility to wear it in such a dignified way.
Old 05-31-19, 09:48 AM
Gallo

Bikes: 2019 KonaLibre- 2003 Litespeed Vortex -2016 Intense Spider Factory Build -2008 Wilier Mortorolio- Specialized Stumpjumper Hardtail converted to bafang 750 mid drive -1986 Paramount 2014 - --- Pivot Mach 429c

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Ackerman wow Demare was my guy but not disappointed as Pascal bounced on the tarmac hard and raced really well the next day. He showed something special yesterday how he got second is still a mystery to show those legs and skills to get through the bunch after such a high pace in the chase. Truly remarkable riding

Chavez came through today and what a story he is

Tomorrow I expect fireworks

Nibali needs to attack How much the Shark has we find out tomorrow.

Landa will be held back in support which is too bad this is his type of stage. I think Movie star sends Rojas into a break if it happens and then held back for the pink when needed

I think Roglic will be exposed tomorrow and goes backwards

I expect Nibali and Carapaz to gain

I like Yates or Lopez for the stage both have something to prove
Old 05-31-19, 10:07 AM
Caretaker
Heretic

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant OCR3, Giant CRS3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2827 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 429 Posts

That was a good year for him. I wonder what the Ackerman-Bennett dynamic is in the team. Anyway, Bora has been all present and accounted for at the Giro both of these years while Peter frolicks in sunny CA.

Bennet has already won a couple of stages at the Tour of Turkey this year but wasn't picked for the Giro. Ackermann is German so that suits a German sponsor like Bora. Will Sagan recover his form for the TdF? Will Bennett move to Katusha to replace Kittel?
Old 05-31-19, 12:51 PM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

long term, bora likely won’t keep bennett, ackermann and sagan all on the roster. too many chefs in the kitchen. again, don’t know contractual obligations but bennett would seem to
be the one to leave for another team. it will be interesting to see if bora brings both bennett and sagan to the tour. if they don’t, someone’s going to be miffy. if they do, there will have to be a clear mandate of “bennett’s stages” and “sagan’s stages.”
are they both good teammates and willing to lead out the other vs wanting to take their own chances? not really seeing sagan as a super-domestique just yet and not seeing bennett as wanting to bite the bit any longer.

Last edited by diphthong; 05-31-19 at 12:54 PM.
Old 05-31-19, 03:44 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Stage 20

B-M all in for the shark, early. Carapaz tough to shake. Landa the wild card. I'm at 60-40 whether he gets in a good dig and moves up to 3rd or 2nd, or finishes with the bunch (or worse if he serves Carapaz, which is in itself a coin flip).

Another 60-40: Nibali goes for it, explodes, and finishes after the final TT in 3rd or 4th -- Nibali goes for it and and exploded Carapaz, and then it's a question of where Landa ends up.

I think there are going to be top GC riders and stage hunters scattered all over the place on the front of the race, and can't wait to see what bizarre +/- fleeting alliances emerge.
Old 06-01-19, 02:56 AM
diphthong

stage 20 is going to be a bleepshow, with or without rain. nibbles pooh-poohed his chances of attacking on the manghen less than halfway through the stage but i think he could go on that climb
or even before after sending pozz up the road. the shark gets the whole no guts no glory thing. it's more likely he pulls a 60 km pedal to the metal assault from the upper slopes of the passo rolle,
suicidal descending of said passo (with the upper part having some technical sections), to nearly full gas on the finishing croce d' aune and lets the chips fall where they may on the following day's tt.
movistar will use landa to shadow roglic or (more likely) nibbles...whichever goes first/hardest. mollema just rides his own race in a vacuum...passes the blown-up, the destroyed, the overly ambitious
and possibly climbs up to 4th on the gc with the potential to snag the last podium placing on the last day...depending on how any of the four ahead of him (carapaz, panda, nibbles, roglic) fare stage 20.
expecting parries and thrusts from bora and michelton and ef ed and astana as well. been a bad week for primoz so actually expecting him to lose a few more seconds to either nibbles or carapaz unless
he's been sandbagging this last week and the crafty bastard actually takes 12-20 seconds out of carapaz/nibbles. thinking the former. all that said, picking mas(que)nada to win the stage. 0 for 17 so far
or stage picks...what's one more horrible prediction? this will be a crazy fun stage to watch. fully expecting a crash at some point on this stage (probably on descent of passo rolle) that will crush a top ten
gc rider's dreams. hate to say it cuz he's on my team but sivakov popped into my head. hope i'm wrong but i usually am-about everything but i agree with slcbob that stuff will be scattered a la stage 13 but mo betta.

Last edited by diphthong; 06-01-19 at 03:01 AM.
Old 06-01-19, 03:14 AM
diphthong

and yes i am in the catbird seat but it's not a comfy seat as canam73 and Gallo are still both within striking distance, depending on stage 20's shenanigans.
if everything holds steady, i'm in a good place but this is the giro. the only constants are "did that really just happen? and that i'm ahead of slcbob. expect
both tables to be turned for "france 2019."

i really need de gendt to forget how to win a wild stage such as this. just need thomas under wraps one more day. but as i said the other day, he's due.

Last edited by diphthong; 06-01-19 at 03:34 AM.
Old 06-01-19, 03:24 AM
diphthong

ridiculous/premature final podium prediction: carapaz, roglic. mollema. carapaz wins by 28 seconds.
Old 06-01-19, 12:40 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Well done Astana for animating the race. Doing what Nibali wanted but he and B-M couldn't.

Lopez. Sigh.

Kudos to Movistar. Great rides. Strongest team.

and yes i am in the catbird seat but it's not a comfy seat as canam73 and Gallo are still both within striking distance, depending on stage 20's shenanigans.
if everything holds steady, i'm in a good place but this is the giro. the only constants are "did that really just happen? and that i'm ahead of slcbob. expect
both tables to be turned for "france 2019."

i really need de gendt to forget how to win a wild stage such as this. just need thomas under wraps one more day. but as i said the other day, he's due.
Chapeau. For the looming win, and for sensing the inexorable yang even as you enjoy your yin. My Giro showing is so weak this year, the (s)pokes may double down on me and my VG Grand Tour series hopes are shattered. I'll have to survive on stage wins and put extra neuroses into picks for the tour and vuelta.

If Campanaerts and Jungels don't have a great Stage 21, I still have a chance to secure the BF Maglia Nera. I can feel the "worst to first" rhythm rumbling in my belly already.
Old 06-01-19, 09:25 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Not my words, but my thoughts exactly.

As the GC men look dead on their feet, this is a day for Victor Campenaerts. Carapaz and Nibali are secure in 1st and 2nd, but Landa will lose his podium position to Roglič.
It may be close for the VG BF Maglia Nera.
Old 06-02-19, 02:15 AM
diphthong

roglic and campenaerts are the obvious choices but our boy bojangles could rescue his wretched giro with a win here. he's got the talent and the potential.
so does mollema. last horrible prediction of this giro: bojangles ftw on stage 21.
Old 06-02-19, 03:01 PM
diphthong

wowza! what a last week in the giro! things broke my way on stage 20 so fortunate enough to hold on for the overall. canam73 had two of the three top point-producing riders
and kept the pressure on, despite being down three riders after ewan's departure around stage 12. with a surprising landa and a steady nibbles, along with last week stage wins
by cataldo and chaves, gallo rounds out the podium. alas, slcbob missed out on the maglia nera by a mere 7 points. thanks to everyone who played! the dauphine will be up in a few
days and if you're interested/screaming for vengeance (sorrp, jp), i'll post that thread soon.
Old 06-02-19, 04:08 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

I was robbed!

Well played, people. Don't skimp on the chatter moving forward.
Old 06-02-19, 04:18 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
I was robbed!

Well played, people. Don't skimp on the chatter moving forward.
You held on to beat blind pig by 7 points!
Old 06-02-19, 04:39 PM
canam73

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Congratulazioni!

Picking riders, especially sprinters in the Giro, who are going to stick it out is a big part of the battle.

If there is a league for the Dauphine I'll be in.

wowza! what a last week in the giro! things broke my way on stage 20 so fortunate enough to hold on for the overall. canam73 had two of the three top point-producing riders
and kept the pressure on, despite being down three riders after ewan's departure around stage 12. with a surprising landa and a steady nibbles, along with last week stage wins
by cataldo and chaves, gallo rounds out the podium. alas, slcbob missed out on the maglia nera by a mere 7 points. thanks to everyone who played! the dauphine will be up in a few
days and if you're interested/screaming for vengeance (sorrp, jp), i'll post that thread soon.
Old 06-02-19, 04:52 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Originally Posted by one4smoke
You held on to beat blind pig by 7 points!
"Held on"? Nope. I was hiding in the bushes hoping he'd pedal by! I'm devastated someone else could be that slow. Ha ha.

At least, at 51% of the (s)pokes' score, there's a small moral victory in not being lapped.
Old 06-02-19, 04:59 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

P.S. chapeaus to Haga & Sunweb for #21 . And a VG overall top 10% for o o gabooga.

We have a good bell curve in our little league, but over-representation of the left asymptote. This shall not stand!!!

Last edited by slcbob; 06-03-19 at 03:56 AM. Reason: Got my asymptotes reversed.
Old 06-03-19, 04:04 AM
diphthong

^and you were so happy when brambilla won a stage...be careful what you wish for, you may just miss out on the maglia nera.

if this fantasy league actually does a tdf/france 2019/gaul 2019/wine country summer tour 2019 gig, imma gonna go with first impressions after five reposado tequila shots.
can't be worse than my previous finishes which are always far off the podium. feel great going into the tdf but, then again, i always do and i always blow chow.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 06-03-19, 04:10 AM
diphthong

i got my blind hedgehog/acorn moment early in the fantasy year. plenty of opportunities for the blind hedgehog to get run over for the remainder of the year.

i think i've finally got a tdf that i can win (i feel like bardet).
Old 06-03-19, 04:16 AM
diphthong

Originally Posted by canam73
Congratulazioni!

Picking riders, especially sprinters in the Giro, who are going to stick it out is a big part of the battle.

If there is a league for the Dauphine I'll be in.
ain't that the truth. i think the stock market is easier. whatta buncha prima donnas.
Old 06-03-19, 04:36 AM
diphthong

sunweb finished with only four riders. holy bleep. double kudos to haga.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.