Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Out of "retirement" - Upgrade my old Celo Europa

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 07-29-19, 09:15 PM
Mr_Stop

Bikes: '00 Lemond Zurich, '87 Celo Europa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

I recently re-experienced the joy in bike riding while on vacation last week. My son wanted to do his first triathlon and I thought, hey I have a bike you can use! The last time the bike was ridden was about 8 years ago. However, it was really about 25 since it had any serious mileage. Well, I managed to put about 50 miles on it last week, with one 23 mile ride and I think I'm hooked again!

The bike is in need of a bit of a tune-up, but I also want to do some modest upgrades to improve comfort, performance and possibly add some modern conveniences. I might join some local group rides, or hit some of our longer bike trails on the weekends.

The bike is a Celo Europa I purchased in high school around 1986 or 1987 if I recall. Unfortunately, it isn't the Colnago version. I believe it was made in Japan with Tange Infinity tubing. The bike is pretty much all original. It has Shimano 105 throughout. It's a 6-spd (13-24T) freewheel on the rear and Biopace (52/42) rings out front. Rims are Araya. I would post a pic, but I don't have enough posts yet.

I'm going to have it tuned-up with new cables/housings, bar tape, brake pads to bring it closer to new. While I'm at it, I'm thinking about upgrading the freewheel to 7-speed and probably the front chain rings as well. I would like to spread out the gears a bit more and give me a little bit more help in the hills. I'm thinking semi-compact (52/36) or compact (50/34) upfront and maybe 13/28T out back. I'm also considering switching out the downtube shifters to STI brake lever/shifters.

Questions
  1. Gearing recommendations for an older, returning cyclist?
  2. Should I go with round or ellipse style chainrings?
  3. Is the upgrade to "STI" style shifters worth it? What makes do you recommend that are compatible with my Shimano derailers? Can I use an 8-10 speed with a 7 speed freewheel?
  4. Besides saddle time, anything else I should look at doing to the bike?
Old 07-29-19, 10:07 PM
Mr_Stop

I have been doing some brushing up on bike technology. I guess I'm limited on the front chainring with my current crankset (I believe it is 130mm). Any reco's on crankset upgrade to utilize a smaller chainring?
Old 07-30-19, 05:48 AM
jcb3

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Gearing depends where you are and what the hills are like.

Although you you can probably go to a 28 freewheel without needing to change other components.

No benefit to a 7 speed freewheel other than a bent axle.

When I got back on the bike, took me a year to get back and shoulder flexibility, so take your time

I would suggest you ride what you have - much will be revealed as you ride.

Last edited by jcb3; 07-30-19 at 05:51 AM.
Old 07-30-19, 05:54 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
I prefer a 7 over a 6 speed and it is no more likely to bend an axle since the spacing of the rear triangle is the same at 126 mm.

A picture of the bike showing the drive side would help to give better advice.

The current rear derailleur can likely handle 28 teeth so swapping out the existing 14-24 6 speed freewheel for a 14-28 7 speed freewheel is likely the most cost effective way to improve the gearing.
Old 07-30-19, 06:03 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,897 Times in 889 Posts
Tires?
I didn't see mention, but if you've got old tires on there, fresh rubber would be great. Lots of good options out there, and good tires can make a world of difference.
Old 07-30-19, 06:46 AM
Thalia949

Bikes: Masi Gran Crit, Bianchi Campione D' Italia 84, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Ibis Ripley, Co Motion Tandem, Merlin Agilis, Ritchey Breakaway, Bianchi Infinito CV, Colnago Master

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 63 Posts
Welcome back. Good to hear that you re found the love of riding.

For cranks, I got re introduced to a bio pace bike earlier this year. I hated the bio pace cranks when they were introduced, and hate them more now. They were the first thing that I swapped out on that bike. While it is a personal thing, my reco would be to find a good compact crank.

I recently picked up an IRD Defiant 50-34 from the Soma Bikes website for a really good price. It has that vintage look that will work with a mid 80's frame.

Also, there is a really good vintage shop in Louisville - Vic's Classic Bikes.
Old 07-30-19, 07:21 AM
Mr_Stop

I'm in Cincinnati, OH and we have our fair share of hills around here. Almost any route out my door will take me to a moderate to serious climb.

I went down a rabbit hole last night and tried to get up to speed on gearing. In running the numbers, I'm fairly convinced a 7 speed hub alone isn't going to give me the advantage I want. It seems as @Thalia949 suggests, my chainrings are the big offenders. There appears to be too much overlap in my current 52/42 combination (as my rides last week suggest). I could swapout the chainrings, but the 130mm spread limits my inner options to maybe a 38 or 39 tooth I believe. I'm really liking the idea of going to a semi compact or compact crank. Of course, that opens a whole can of worms and makes me consider upgrading the whole drivetrain. I'm not sure I'm quite ready to go there yet from a budget standpoint. I would prefer to do incremental upgrades as my riding time increases and budget allows.

In looking at newer cranksets, they appear to be marketed as 9-speed or 10-speed. What does this mean? If I change out my crankset alone, will it be compatable with a 6 or 7-speed freewheel?

Given an initial budget of $150-$250 what would you do?
Old 07-30-19, 07:24 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Maybe start with an overall budget and allocate dollars where you're likely to get the best payoff. Here are some estimated direct mail parts prices and where I'd put my money (I'd be doing my own labor, so don't account for that):

1) Tires: $75
2) Brake pads: $20
3) 7-Speed Freewheel: $20
4) Inner stainless drawn cables: $16
5) 8-speed chain: $15
6) SR Apex (non-swaged version) or other from plentiful Japanese smaller BCD crankset w/BB: $55
7) Chainring(s) to suit: $40

If you have to pay for the labor, then add catalog parts prices and markup appropriately for each job.

I'd do 1-5 and then see. That's less than $150.
Old 07-30-19, 07:28 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr_Stop
In looking at newer cranksets, they appear to be marketed as 9-speed or 10-speed. What does this mean? If I change out my crankset alone, will it be compatable with a 6 or 7-speed freewheel?

There's a limiting assumption. Why not a period correct crankset with a small bolt circle diameter? You can buy NOS or slightly used chainrings, too. There's no need to buy new cranks for older drive trains. Most of us have five or six vintage cranksets sitting in boxes right now at home. Scan eBay and compare the date from Velobase for particular models and you'll see. You can buy cheap cartridge bottom bracket bearings to match the spindle length you'll need. Simple.
Old 07-30-19, 07:29 AM
bikemig 

I'm in Cincinnati, OH and we have our fair share of hills around here. Almost any route out my door will take me to a moderate to serious climb.

I went down a rabbit hole last night and tried to get up to speed on gearing. In running the numbers, I'm fairly convinced a 7 speed hub alone isn't going to give me the advantage I want. It seems as @Thalia949 suggests, my chainrings are the big offenders. There appears to be too much overlap in my current 52/42 combination (as my rides last week suggest). I could swapout the chainrings, but the 130mm spread limits my inner options to maybe a 38 or 39 tooth I believe. I'm really liking the idea of going to a semi compact or compact crank. Of course, that opens a whole can of worms and makes me consider upgrading the whole drivetrain. I'm not sure I'm quite ready to go there yet from a budget standpoint. I would prefer to do incremental upgrades as my riding time increases and budget allows.

The biopace chainrings are not an issue when it comes to gearing (and they are not much of an issue when it comes to riding either; some people may hate them but I suspect most don't care). The size of chainrings can be an issue and you have a 130 bcd crank so you can't get below 39 teeth or so.

Cheapest solution is to get a big 7 speed freewheel. That will require a new rear derailleur and chain.

Swapping out the crank gets more expensive.

You don't need to buy new stuff to make this work as there is plenty of older stuff that will do the job and cost less but you'll have to hunt around for parts.
Old 07-30-19, 07:35 AM
bikemig 

Cheapest way to get a compact crank is to find an older mountain bike triple (110/74 bcd) and run it as a double "compact" crank. If you get a shimano triple, it may well work with your existing bottom bracket.

Same for the rear derailleur. Best bet is to find an older rear derailleur from a mountain bike like a Deore. That can handle at least 32 teeth in the rear.

If you want to go new, you don't need to spend a bomb. The cheap Shimano derailleurs are fine (like a Claris). FSA makes square taper 110 bcd cranks that don't cost a lot and will work just fine.

Still you are talking around $200 in parts not including labor.
Old 07-30-19, 07:52 AM
Feldman

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 50 Posts
A second on the tires--plus, tires are a product that have done nothing but improve over the years since your Celo was new. Anything by Conti, Panaracer, Michelin or Maxxis.
Old 07-30-19, 09:17 AM
Mr_Stop

Originally Posted by bikemig
Cheapest way to get a compact crank is to find an older mountain bike triple (110/74 bcd) and run it as a double "compact" crank. If you get a shimano triple, it may well work with your existing bottom bracket.

Same for the rear derailleur. Best bet is to find an older rear derailleur from a mountain bike like a Deore. That can handle at least 32 teeth in the rear.

If you want to go new, you don't need to spend a bomb. The cheap Shimano derailleurs are fine (like a Claris). FSA makes square taper 110 bcd cranks that don't cost a lot and will work just fine.

Still you are talking around $200 in parts not including labor.
I actually have an old mountain bike with Deore XT that I was thinking about parting out. I'll have to look closely at the swap out option, or maybe see if I can sell the components to fund my road bike upgrade.
Old 07-30-19, 09:18 AM
bikemig 

I actually have an old mountain bike with Deore XT that I was thinking about parting out. I'll have to look closely at the swap out option, or maybe see if I can sell the components to fund my road bike upgrade.
Those parts will work great on your road bike. The RD will handle a larger freewheel and you can run the triple crank as a compact double. You'll likely need to buy a 34 110 bcd as an inner but that is easy to source. A seven speed 14-28 freewheel is easy to find; a 14-32 a little harder but they are available. This combination will give you good climbing gears. You could also run your bike with a triple and gain both good climbing gears and a good in between gears for spinning. That's how I fixed up my 1985 Cannondale ST 400. It came with a double and I swapped that out for 48/36/24 triple (a shimano 600/deore XT) and 14-28 7 speed freewheel (relying on a Deore XT rear derailleur).

Last edited by bikemig; 07-30-19 at 09:31 AM.
Old 07-30-19, 10:38 AM
Mr_Stop

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Maybe start with an overall budget and allocate dollars where you're likely to get the best payoff. Here are some estimated direct mail parts prices and where I'd put my money (I'd be doing my own labor, so don't account for that):

1) Tires: $75
2) Brake pads: $20
3) 7-Speed Freewheel: $20
4) Inner stainless drawn cables: $16
5) 8-speed chain: $15
6) SR Apex (non-swaged version) or other from plentiful Japanese smaller BCD crankset w/BB: $55
7) Chainring(s) to suit: $40

If you have to pay for the labor, then add catalog parts prices and markup appropriately for each job.

I'd do 1-5 and then see. That's less than $150.
That sounds like a great plan and order. Thanks!
Old 07-30-19, 01:46 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,742 Times in 1,499 Posts
if you did want to go full bore and modern compact crank here is and idea of what it would take

cold set the frame to 130mm

tiagra 10 speed groupset $375 https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/shima...uble-groupset/

think another $100 or so to go to 11 speed 105 level

these are from UK bikes shops Merlin, Ribble, Probike Kit, Chain reaction

8,9,10,11 speeed whels $179 Mavic CXP Elite Shimano 105 5800 Hubs Silver Road Bike Wheelset [640117/640298] - $179.00 Velomine.com : Worldwide Bicycle Shop, fixed gear track bike wheelsets campagnolo super record vintage bike

and of course tires and tubes

I find I really really like the 50/34 and 11 to 32/34 cassete with Brifter shifting

Old 07-30-19, 10:49 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Here's what I use for serious climbing or hilly terrain:

42/45T circular chainwheels
13-32T freewheel (6 speed)
Ultra 6 chain (or equivalent)
Rear derailleur is Shimano Deore XT but any decent wide range will do the job.

Unsolicited advice -

Forget about STI levers
Get some new, top quality tires like Challenge Parigi-Roubaix or one of the Compass Cycles tire. Yes, they are expensive. Yes, they are really that good.
The saddle has to be comfortable.
Old 07-30-19, 11:17 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
Go check these guys out:

Cincinnati's Only Bicycle Cooperative | Mobo Bicycle Coop

Bike co-ops are generally staffed by cool bike-geek volunteers who live to talk, advise, and debate all things bike. They are typically stuffed to the gills with donated used bikes and parts for sale cheap; if you're willing to dig through bins of stuff.

Tell them what you have in mind, and they'll have suggestions. Plus they'll have the tools and expert advice to help you get the job done. Typically there's a nominal stand fee.
Old 07-31-19, 05:41 AM
Mr_Stop

Originally Posted by downtube42
Go check these guys out:

Bike co-ops are generally staffed by cool bike-geek volunteers who live to talk, advise, and debate all things bike. They are typically stuffed to the gills with donated used bikes and parts for sale cheap; if you're willing to dig through bins of stuff.

Tell them what you have in mind, and they'll have suggestions. Plus they'll have the tools and expert advice to help you get the job done. Typically there's a nominal stand fee.
Thanks, I didn't know that existed. It's a fairly easy 7 1/2 mile ride for me, I'll have to go check it out!
Old 07-31-19, 09:34 PM
Mr_Stop

Hit the road this evening for about 10 miles with some decent hills (for someone out of shape anyway). I definitely struggled on the hills due to fitness and the lack of a climbing gear.

I had always pumped my tires to about 110 psi, but dropped them to about 95 psi after learning that higher isn't necessarily better. What an improvement in the ride! All my looking at gearing pretty much informed me that I knew nothing about bike gears and shifting. In fact, I was pretty much using the front chain rings all wrong. Understanding the gearing and overlaps made me a bit more efficient in my use of the gears. I still need a lot more saddle time, but it's a start.

I have been refining my bike upgrade plan. I'm going to try and bite it off in a phased approach:

Phase 1 - Improve general rideability and safety
  1. Replace brake pads with Kool Stop with brackets, X pads and salmon pads
  2. Swap out 6 Speed Freewheel with SHIMANO 7-Speed Tourney Bicycle Freewheel - MF-HG37 (13/28T)
    • Use existing downtube shifter in friction mode, or swap out for 7 speed SIS if can source used for reasonable price
    • Replace current UG chaing with Shimano HG71 6/7/8 speed chain
  3. Replace cables, bar tape, tune-up bike & adjust fit
  4. Add rear and front lights to improve visibility on roads - any budget but good reco's?
Phase 2 - Bump up performance - Sell old Deore XT components to fund
  1. Install new tires - either Continental GP4000S II or Vittoria Rubino Pro Clincher (budget option) in 25C size - $25-70
  2. Replace crankset with compact crank
  3. New pedals & shoes
Phase 3 - Assess need for further mods after above is done and fitness improves
Old 08-01-19, 11:08 AM
Mr_Stop

Is it possible to use an 8+ speed SIS shifter with a 7-spd freewheel? If so are their any drawbacks? Selection and availability of 7-spd shifters seams limited.
Old 08-01-19, 04:38 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
You'll have fewer issues if you keep components on the same gearing, 8 speed shifters with a 7 speed FW is too many clicks.

I have been using these lights and find them to be good and with the usb easy to recharge - under $20 and easy to mount. I would echo @jcb3 keep riding and you may find you don't need a complete overhaul you need a wider range FW and a smaller chain ring. Shimano has mega range FW in 6 and 7 speed that go to 34t you just have to be sure your RD can handle it, the XT RD probably can. Have fun.
Old 08-01-19, 04:50 PM
Mr_Stop

Originally Posted by ryansu
You'll have fewer issues if you keep components on the same gearing, 8 speed shifters with a 7 speed FW is too many clicks.

I have been using these lights and find them to be good and with the usb easy to recharge - under $20 and easy to mount. I would echo @jcb3 keep riding and you may find you don't need a complete overhaul you need a wider range FW and a smaller chain ring. Shimano has mega range FW in 6 and 7 speed that go to 34t you just have to be sure your RD can handle it, the XT RD probably can. Have fun.
Thanks and good to know on the shifters! I figured I could might be able to limit the 8th+click with the derailleur stops but not sure how well that would work. I actually just found and ordered some preowned 105 SIS 7-speed shifters from Ebay for a decent price so that's the direction I'm heading.

I'm hoping a little more range in the rear, a good bike tune/fit and some more miles will solve some of my issues. Worst case is that I at least will have something performing close to new to establish a good baseline.
Old 08-01-19, 09:22 PM
Mr_Stop

Parts are ordered. Here's where I'm at:

Improve general rideability and roadworthiness $178.33
  1. New brake pads $37.94
    • - Kool Stop with brackets, X pads and salmon pads
  2. 7 Speed freewheel conversion $80.39
    • SHIMANO 7-Speed Tourney Bicycle Freewheel - MF-HG37 (13/28T) $18.99
    • Shimano 105 7 speed SIS (preowned) $39.40
    • Shimano HG71 6/7/8 speed chain $22.00
  3. New bar tape $19.95
    • Zipp Service Course CX
  4. Labor to replace cables (cables & housings included), bar tape, tune-up bike & adjust fit $60
Add a measure of safety while riding $96.61
  1. Lighting $81.77
    • Cygolite Metro Plus 800 + Hotshot Pro 150 Bike Head & Tail Light Combo Set USB -$66.82
    • Planet Bike Bottle Blinky 3061 Bicycle Side Safety Light $14.95
  2. Mirror $14.84
    • Bike Peddler Take A Look Cycling Eyeglass Mirror (Original)
I kept the bike upgrade within my original budget. However, the added safety upgrades put me slightly above my initial top end. I live in a first ring neighborhood/suburb of Cincinnati so most of the rides from my house will bring me on fairly urban and busy streets. I want to give myself all possible chance of being seen and avoiding getting run over as that would be a bad ride! I could have saved a little bit by using my current shifter set to friction, but the 7-speed was available. I might also sell my 6-speed shifters to recover some of the cost. Labor also added a bit, but while I'm capable, it would be done quicker, probably better and I wouldn't have to immediately invest in some tools.
Old 08-01-19, 09:25 PM
Mr_Stop

And now that I have 10 posts, here's a pic of the bike I snapped on vacation last week.

Celo Europa
Likes For Mr_Stop:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.