Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How long does it take you to fix a flat?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How long does it take you to fix a flat?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-19, 11:46 AM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
While tires are getting better all around, flats can still occur, it's not wise to go without a means to repair the flat and using your cell phone to bother someone to come get you if you do is a bit immature; if you've crashed and burn and are at the hospital fine to use the phone, but a flat? I carry everything I need to fix most things so I don't have bother my wife; I have always kept in my mind from day one of our marriage that my wife is my wife and not my mommy.
Old 08-12-19, 11:51 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Always a means of repair/replacement and reinflation. It's irresponsible to not carry them and depend on others.

It's the ant-vaxxer within cycling circles to travel unprepared.
Old 08-12-19, 12:32 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Usually only a few minutes. I'll either replace the tube or use Lezyne self-sticking patches, which have worked great for me.

But according to Strava I took 42 minutes Monday morning to fix a flat. I was riding solo, in no hurry, and baffled by the flat. So I spent too much time inspecting the tire (brand new Conti GP Classic) and couldn't find a puncture. Didn't want to put in a new tube until I was sure there was nothing inside the tire.

Couldn't get the tube to hold air and between the wind and noise from the nearby highway (I was safely off on the access road, but it was really loud) I couldn't tell whether there was a leak. I finally figured it was a bad valve -- I'd had trouble filling that tube anyway.

So after piddling around way too long I finally inserted the new tube and was on my way. Once I decided to do that it took only a few minutes.

After getting home I finally realized it was a snakebite flat -- rim pinch. I'd seen 'em before, usually with heavier guys, but never experienced one myself. Probably happened a few miles earlier. I had to dodge an oncoming truck in my lane and remember a sharp jolt, from hitting either a rock or pothole -- I was looking at the truck, not the road at that moment. So it must have developed a slow leak that took almost 3 miles to flatten the tire.

And I usually prefer a pump. I have a CO2 kit but I use it only for group rides so nobody's waiting too long for me. The mini pump works fine but takes about 300 strokes to get a road tire up to riding pressure, around 70-80 psi.
Old 08-12-19, 04:03 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I am running tubeless Mavic so I haven't had to deal with this.
Old 08-12-19, 10:50 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
I am running tubeless Mavic so I haven't had to deal with this.
...yet.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-13-19, 04:43 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
...yet.
Or maybe never. We don't know. In the meantime I'm really liking the USTs.
Old 08-13-19, 08:49 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

I tried the Lezyne glueless patches and they were a major fail, they would fail about 24 hours after putting them on, but I don't have that problem with Park glueless patches, the Park will stay on for 3 or 4 years without coming apart.
Old 08-13-19, 08:53 PM
greatscott

Originally Posted by mjd420nova
I have rarely had the experience of getting a flat while riding. After many decades of biking, I learned early on that multiple layers of tubing helps insulate things. Then Mr Tuffy came out. After wrapping the spoke ends in the rim with two layers of electrical tape (one layer the thick pliable, waterproof and vinyl on top). Heat in the summer will cause unexpected blowouts when things aren't protected. Mr Tuffy goes between a heavy duty tube and the tire. Went ten years on one wheel between flats. They work.
Are you riding on a MTB? I don't have a problem with accepting a flat once every 6 months or so, I've been averaging about one every 3 years and that's using a thinner tube, no liners and decent tires. Putting a Mr Tuffy and using a heavy duty tube is a waste of weight for a road tire.
Old 08-13-19, 10:01 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked 3,563 Times in 1,790 Posts
6 minutes at the roadside with a mini hand pump. 4 minutes with a CO₂ inflator.

I got two flats during the King of the Mountains series. I lost 12 minutes and dropped to sixth place. Now I always carry a CO₂ inflator.
Old 08-14-19, 05:19 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
6 minutes at the roadside with a mini hand pump. 4 minutes with a CO₂ inflator.
Yep. Pretty much the same for me. Haven't timed myself in several years but at one time, we'd start the clock whenever someone in our group ride had a flat and 6 minutes with a hand pump was my average time. I use inflators, now, and have never timed myself.

Old 08-15-19, 12:20 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
I just had a flat on way to work yesterday. Might have taken me 10 minutes. I checked over tire both outside and inside thoroughly before putting new tube in.
Old 08-15-19, 12:46 PM
mjd420nova

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yes, MTB but with a small knobby tread for street use. Thorns, glass and even wire will find its way on a narrow skin and high pressure. I just hate stopping to change a tube or even walk home.
Old 08-16-19, 02:59 AM
tim24k

Bikes: To many to list. I like them all!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
New tube on the road. Patch it when I get home, check it for leaks by submersing, and it goes back in the seat pack for the next flat. I do carry a small patch kit in the event I get multiple flats.
+ one! I also carry a boot or most of the time just a dollar bill for a boot just in case the whole in the tire is large.
Old 08-19-19, 07:17 AM
mellowyellow

Bikes: 2 old bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Bnystrom
I run sealant in all of my tires - including those that use tubes - and on average I get less than one flat per year. There may be multiple thorns and small wires in them that would have caused flats that the sealant handled, but I'll never know. I used to work in the bike biz and have changed thousands of tubes, so I can do it in just a few minutes on the road, though it's typically for other people. The only thing that takes any real time is pumping the tires up.
That sounds like something I could do...please tell the name of your preferred sealant? Does it come in a pressure can, and you just give it a blast now and then? I know nothing at all, but survive because of my e-bike. A magnificent, cheap, machine. It has had just one flat in four years. I took over a week to fix it. My first flat ever. Hopefully my last. I'm in France.
Old 08-19-19, 03:46 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,968 Times in 1,917 Posts
Gotten it down to 5 minutes flat.