Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Out of "retirement" - Upgrade my old Celo Europa

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Out of "retirement" - Upgrade my old Celo Europa

Old 08-01-19, 11:46 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2336 Post(s)
Liked 2,808 Times in 1,534 Posts
That is very clean and nice looking. It looks fast just standing there. The Cygolite/hot shot combo is great. I want to check out the bottle blinky.

I am have missed it did you get new tires yet? if not that would be a worth it next purchase

again ver nice

Old 08-02-19, 06:15 AM
Mr_Stop

Bikes: '00 Lemond Zurich, '87 Celo Europa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
That is very clean and nice looking. It looks fast just standing there. The Cygolite/hot shot combo is great. I want to check out the bottle blinky.

I am have missed it did you get new tires yet? if not that would be a worth it next purchase

again ver nice
Thanks! In my research, there is a lot of concern and anecdotal claims of side visibility and incidents. The bottle blink while not quite perfect seemed to be the most recommended side light option.

New tires are next on the list. I currently have Panaracer Vivezza 700x24C tires that I'm guessing are from the early 1990's so I am well overdue. I want to get the bike running smoothly and efficiently first. That will give me a bit of a baseline to see if my butt dyno notices anything. I'm considering either the Continental GP4000S II or Vittoria Rubino Pro Clincher (budget option) in 25C.
Old 08-02-19, 06:31 AM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
Nice bike! Sounds like you have a game plan sorted. Keep us updated!
Old 08-02-19, 06:48 AM
Mr_Stop

Originally Posted by Hudson308
Nice bike! Sounds like you have a game plan sorted. Keep us updated!
Pretty much, just need to figure out the best chain lube

Old 08-02-19, 07:58 AM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr_Stop
Pretty much, just need to figure out the best chain lube

Everyone has their favorite. I prefer Finish Line Dry, unless it's for my foul-weather commuter.
Old 08-02-19, 01:14 PM
cdmurphy

Bikes: Too many, but sometimes not enough.

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Thanks! In my research, there is a lot of concern and anecdotal claims of side visibility and incidents. The bottle blink while not quite perfect seemed to be the most recommended side light option.

New tires are next on the list. I currently have Panaracer Vivezza 700x24C tires that I'm guessing are from the early 1990's so I am well overdue. I want to get the bike running smoothly and efficiently first. That will give me a bit of a baseline to see if my butt dyno notices anything. I'm considering either the Continental GP4000S II or Vittoria Rubino Pro Clincher (budget option) in 25C.
Can you fit 28mm tires on there? Your butt will thank you, and you won't be giving up any speed.
Old 08-03-19, 07:53 AM
Mr_Stop

Originally Posted by cdmurphy
Can you fit 28mm tires on there? Your butt will thank you, and you won't be giving up any speed.
I'm not sure. What's a good way to check?
Old 08-03-19, 10:30 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1439 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 781 Posts
Never seen a Celo that wasn't a pretty-near clone of a Colnago, but here's one with different headlugs than you'd usually find on a 'nago, plus a fork that has an atypical crown and (appears to be) a Tange blade decal(?) I'm thinking this is one of the few that Marcel Calbourne had sourced from Asia (or at least NOT from Ernesto Colnago's Co.).

Last edited by unworthy1; 08-03-19 at 10:38 AM.
Old 08-03-19, 10:52 AM
Mr_Stop

Originally Posted by unworthy1
Never seen a Celo that wasn't a pretty-near clone of a Colnago, but here's one with different headlugs than you'd usually find on a 'nago, plus a fork that has an atypical crown and (appears to be) a Tange blade decal(?) I'm thinking this is one of the few that Marcel Calbourne had sourced from Asia (or at least NOT from Ernesto Colnago's Co.).
Yes, it was sourced from Asia by Marcel Calbourne. Unfortunately, I dont remember all the details from when he sold it to me (I was probably 16 at the time). I don't have the full specs, but it is very remincent of his Colnago sourced frame. It wouldn't surprise me if it had the same or similar geometry since he would have spec'd both. The frame even has the same "Celo" embossing on the tubes. The frame and I believe the fork is all Tange Infinity.
Old 08-04-19, 07:52 PM
Mr_Stop

New shoes have moved up the list

Old 08-15-19, 05:48 AM
Mr_Stop

Another setback. I'm starting to feel like I'll never get to ride my bike

The guy that is tuning up my bike and installing the parts called last night. He said the rear axle is broken and needs axle, quick release, cones and bearings. It seems like the parts could set me back a good portion of a new wheelset. I assumed I would replace the wheels at some point, but was hoping to defray until later.

Not sure what to do. I just want to get riding!
Old 08-15-19, 09:54 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Another setback. I'm starting to feel like I'll never get to ride my bike

The guy that is tuning up my bike and installing the parts called last night. He said the rear axle is broken and needs axle, quick release, cones and bearings. It seems like the parts could set me back a good portion of a new wheelset. I assumed I would replace the wheels at some point, but was hoping to defray until later.

Not sure what to do. I just want to get riding!
if wheels are good otherwise this seems to be the fastest and cheapest (i.e you get to ride sooner to put the parts on and go ) that then gives to time to look for a different wheelset (if needed) in the future

other options are putting up a WTB on the for sale section or getting a wheelset https://www.velomine.com/index.php?m...oducts_id=5045

Old 08-15-19, 10:36 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,213 Times in 1,103 Posts
Nice bike!

I would replace the hub, but that is just me.

My recommendation for tires is Vittoria G+. I have a set on my Pinarello and are great. Great reviews too.
Old 08-15-19, 11:39 AM
squirtdad

Originally Posted by SJX426
Nice bike!

I would replace the hub, but that is just me.

My recommendation for tires is Vittoria G+. I have a set on my Pinarello and are great. Great reviews too.
$61 to $64 for 2 https://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-t.../11443944.html

Old 08-15-19, 02:58 PM
Mr_Stop

Wheels are currently in good shape. I think I may have a line on parts to repair my current axle to buy me some time.

I was leaning towards the Rubino Pro, thinking they might be more durable over the roads. Do I sacrifice flat resistance with the Corsa G+?
Old 08-18-19, 07:21 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,213 Times in 1,103 Posts
…….Do I sacrifice flat resistance with the Corsa G+?
I think that is way to difficult to answer. It all depends on the environmental situation you ride in. I have not had an issue with flats on mine and they are advertised to be resistant, which is about all you can ask.

For me, it is more about the performance of the tire and the pleasure I get from riding. Flats are a diversion that must be accepted. You gotta, kinda role with it!
Old 08-28-19, 07:54 PM
Mr_Stop

Back on the road

I got my bike back last Saturday. The axle was replaced and 7-spd freewheel and downtube shifters were swapped in along with a new chain. New cables, housings and handlebar tape completed the refresh and tune-up. On Sunday, I took the bike for a little spin (for those familiar with Cincy) around Lunken airport and up the Little Miami bike trail to Lebanon and back. Total trip was a little over 41 miles and I averaged about 15+ mph on a fairly calm day but kind of bonked on the trip back.

My new pedals (Shimano Ultegra SPD-SL) and tires (Vittoria Corsa 700cx25mm) arrived on Monday. Unfortunately, heavy rain kept me off the bike until today. With new tires and pedals installed, I did a 20+ mile ride up our local section of the Great Miami bike trail. OMG, the bike felt so buttery smooth and fast on those new tires! I was able to average 17.5 mph solo in heavy wind (~13-17mph according to the NWS) and unfamiliar trail . On several stretches I was easily running about 20-23mph over flattish terrain. While I don't have a good apples-apples comparison, I think the tires might have added 2-3mph to my average over my previous 25+ year old tires.

The bike is running real good now. I still need to install the new brake pads (require minor machining) and true the wheels. However, now that my bike is in good working order I can now start to work on general fitness and start to improve my bike fit.

BTW, I forgot how expensive cycling is...
Old 08-28-19, 07:58 PM
Mr_Stop

Here's some more recent pics. Sorry for the quality as it was turning dark.

Hopefully drivers will see me now!

New Vittoria Corsa tires, Shimano Ultegra pedals, Sidi shoes, 7 spd cassette and chain
Old 08-28-19, 08:07 PM
Tulok

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
I think you are doing everything right! You’re basically done spending and you should be good to go for another year until you need a minor tune up!

I did the 6-7 conversion and I think it’s pleasany. I did a ton of research on the freewheels too and the modern 7 speed ones are as good as it’s been ever as far as shift quality.

Enjoy the ride! The costs are far less than buying a new bike and yours will outlast any bike now that’s new for $250.
Likes For Tulok:
Old 08-28-19, 08:22 PM
Mr_Stop

Originally Posted by Tulok
I think you are doing everything right! You’re basically done spending and you should be good to go for another year until you need a minor tune up!

I did the 6-7 conversion and I think it’s pleasany. I did a ton of research on the freewheels too and the modern 7 speed ones are as good as it’s been ever as far as shift quality.

Enjoy the ride! The costs are far less than buying a new bike and yours will outlast any bike now that’s new for $250.
Thanks! The funny thing is that the bike parts haven't been so bad It is all the shoes, clothing, lighting, pedals, bags, etc that have added up.

As far as maintenance and tune-up, I'm pretty handy so I'll start self performing. I picked up a closeout Aldi bike stand for $19 which has been a super help. Also, I joined our local bike coop which is totally awesome!
Old 08-28-19, 10:06 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 2,226 Posts
And now that I have 10 posts, here's a pic of the bike I snapped on vacation last week.

Celo Europa
Ooohhhhh -- that's nice. And a good size too.
Missed this thread until tonight.

edit: Seatpost setback and saddle slammed rearward - don't know your height, etc, but perhaps consider a longer stem and more centered saddle position on the rails.

Last edited by Wildwood; 08-28-19 at 10:12 PM.
Old 08-28-19, 11:51 PM
squirtdad

I got my bike back last Saturday. The axle was replaced and 7-spd freewheel and downtube shifters were swapped in along with a new chain. New cables, housings and handlebar tape completed the refresh and tune-up. On Sunday, I took the bike for a little spin (for those familiar with Cincy) around Lunken airport and up the Little Miami bike trail to Lebanon and back. Total trip was a little over 41 miles and I averaged about 15+ mph on a fairly calm day but kind of bonked on the trip back.

My new pedals (Shimano Ultegra SPD-SL) and tires (Vittoria Corsa 700cx25mm) arrived on Monday. Unfortunately, heavy rain kept me off the bike until today. With new tires and pedals installed, I did a 20+ mile ride up our local section of the Great Miami bike trail. OMG, the bike felt so buttery smooth and fast on those new tires! I was able to average 17.5 mph solo in heavy wind (~13-17mph according to the NWS) and unfamiliar trail . On several stretches I was easily running about 20-23mph over flattish terrain. While I don't have a good apples-apples comparison, I think the tires might have added 2-3mph to my average over my previous 25+ year old tires.

The bike is running real good now. I still need to install the new brake pads (require minor machining) and true the wheels. However, now that my bike is in good working order I can now start to work on general fitness and start to improve my bike fit.

BTW, I forgot how expensive cycling is...
great....... tires can make a huge difference

Old 08-29-19, 12:16 AM
sumgy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 58 Posts
Beautiful bike, I like it a lot.
That saddle position looks wrong though. It should not be slammed that far back.
It looks like it would be clamped further forward than the safe clamping area too.
Old 08-29-19, 04:54 AM
Mr_Stop

Originally Posted by Wildwood
Ooohhhhh -- that's nice. And a good size too.
Missed this thread until tonight.

edit: Seatpost setback and saddle slammed rearward - don't know your height, etc, but perhaps consider a longer stem and more centered saddle position on the rails.
Originally Posted by sumgy
Beautiful bike, I like it a lot.
That saddle position looks wrong though. It should not be slammed that far back.
It looks like it would be clamped further forward than the safe clamping area too.
Thanks. I noticed the saddle position earlier as well. It has been moved forward a bit and now definitely within the "safe zone."
Likes For Mr_Stop:
Old 08-29-19, 04:55 AM
Mr_Stop

Originally Posted by squirtdad
great....... tires can make a huge difference
I was totally doubting you, but I'm a believer now!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.