Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

2019 racing stories!

Old 09-09-19, 11:05 AM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Lotoja 2019. 13th? Total time 8 hours, 58 minutes. best finisher on my team.

LoToJa was weird this year. Well, it's always weird. Was in the (really) early break for the first two hours. One of the teams pulled us back and then it got real chill until the 1st climb. Another team (jeo) basically attacked the neutral feed on the first climb which is pretty BS. We all rode together after the descent. I came off just a little bit over the second climb but chased back on pretty easy. Then jeo called a pee break and one their guys rolled off the front while everyone was stopping. Not cool... Came off again on the last climb and legit thought my day was over with 100 miles to go. Somehow a group of 4 of us chased reallllly hard for almost 2 hours and we got back into the lead group. That same jeo team attacked the last feedzone again and I had no idea. One sec I'm with the group, next the guys are up the road and the rest of my day consisted of just pedaling the last 50 miles basically alone.

Weird day. Happy to finish a gain, pretty upset at some of our competitors. I know what the rules say, but there are unwritten rules too. Had really hoped for a result here, but alas, I got dropped in the same place as lat year, but made it back on this year.

2 minutes faster than lat year despite significantly slower conditions. Last year averaged 164 watts. This year averaged 180. NP of 211 for almost 9 hours.

I'm gonna call it a season. No road races left, I might hop in a few cx things over the fall (SSCX on a flat bar bike ftw!). Other than that it's just mtbing, lifting and whatever I feel like until it's time to get ready for xc skiing again!
Old 09-09-19, 11:20 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 2,437 Times in 1,425 Posts
Nice result @Ttoc6
@revchuck Did you do Lotojo?
Old 09-09-19, 03:35 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
Nice result @Ttoc6
@revchuck Did you do Lotojo?
Nope, it wasn't in the budget this year. Thinking about doing it next year, though.

Demain, on roule!
Old 09-10-19, 08:00 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by revchuck
Nope, it wasn't in the budget this year. Thinking about doing it next year, though.
Okay. For some reason I thought you were training for it. How is your training?
Old 09-11-19, 02:55 PM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
3rd place in one of the 50+ weeknight CX races yesterday. My first CX podium Yay! Not much to CX race stories as there aren't a lot of tactics, more just excuses.

I do feel like I can identify the moment at the start of lap 2 when I was passed by a guy, who then lost the wheel of the 2 leaders and by the time I passed him back there was a big gap that I couldn't close. Maybe I could have dug a bit deeper, or been a bit more aggressive in that moment and stayed with the leaders. There was another race on the course that started in front of us, so a lot of the race was a matter of how fast I could pass others lagging in the other race instead of being slowed by them through technical bits. But as I said, these are just excuses and I'm pretty happy to get a 3rd place.
Likes For cmh:
Old 09-17-19, 05:37 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Last minute threw together a sscx machine for the series this year. Still waiting on a couple of parts, but janked it together. Running the chain through an ultegra derailleur for tension and flat bars + mtb brakes. Super fun to race. I was sitting 3rd for the entire race and flatted with half a lap to go. My poor tubular... Ran it in for 5th. Bummer...
Likes For Ttoc6:
Old 09-24-19, 02:06 PM
Yep
no cat contains

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 75 Posts
Glenmarnock 3/4 RR - Last race of the season for me. 40 mile lumpy course (Scottish RRs tend to be shorter and multiple laps of a circuit). 60+ starters.

I did my best to animate throughout and started and/or bridged to a few moves. All ultimately got brought back. Finish was flat and windy and loads of guys started too soon. I was as well positioned as I've been all year, but I just didn't get to a spot where I could fully open it up and finished 3rd in a really close one; the top 4 were basically spread across the line. Podium in a race I'd somewhat targeted and at the end of the year feels good. Beating up on some young kids is good too. If my finish had been sharper throughout the year, I'd be a 2 now.
Likes For Yep:
Old 09-24-19, 02:38 PM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by UmneyDurak
I have seen carbon bars break also.
Me too.

Likes For Cypress:
Old 09-24-19, 06:01 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Its a good thing you're sponsored by a Chiropractor because it looks like you'll be needing one!
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 10-07-19, 06:45 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Men's 4/5 cross race, 16 of either 38 or 40. List was pretty long. Just wanted to see I was in upper half to upper 1/3. Progress.

Done in by the call-ups again. Behind some guys who just didn't gas it at the start. I made a few spots up early but decided to TT it instead of burn too many sprint matches. It worked better, better finish spot. I did recover a bit drafting a guy for a bit then went by. I made a bad error though that cost me catching a group of 5 guys 100 yards up. I lost my lap count and thought I had longer to go. So, last lap was not a bazillion % effort. Womp womp.

So, back to ferret's cross thing about A/B/C working well. I could see that Sunday. The winners were easily way ahead. Shoot couple of the 4/5 winners were bunny hopping barriers like second nature. Also, one of the guys doing super well in 4/5 routinely I heard a few guys giving a hard time at the start because he's on a pretty nice MTB for cross. I didn't care, if it's fair game so be it. I do think though as courtesy if you're close or winning podiums in your races, I think it's time you get a cross bike. I run 32's out of budget right now to not carry extra kit at home, but seeing some the tire I saw among the front folks I'm wondering now "well ****, why not me too".

Shoot, it felt like 75% plus of the the entire place was disc brakes too.

I'm just learning to think like when I competed in elite junior golf tournaments..........you won't win, just get some finishes in.......and get lucky and scare some folks for top 10 once in a while.

I try not to think about how many seconds per lap disc brakes and having several more mm's of tire would save.

But, still, big improvement from race #1 . I need to get a call-up though so I can ride in a group with the front runners for once.

Still fun, I'll do some more. I'll consider modest kit updates like going TL on my spare wheelset and bigger tire.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 10-12-19, 08:55 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
This is MTB - so skip if you want. Riding the last laps without a saddle/ funny / not so funny stuff. My kid in the white and blue #279. The carbon seat rails shattered.

Last edited by Doge; 10-13-19 at 07:57 AM.
Likes For Doge:
Old 10-13-19, 09:19 PM
furiousferret

I did my teams CX race today (after working registration for 5 hours), probably got 30th out of 40 in 4/5.

Since it was California CX you have Cat 2 roadies and maybe a few Cat 1s lining up in the 4/5's. It was hands down the biggest field. I was able to put out good power and pass people but those people passed me on the technical sections; my off road skill are atrocious. W/Kg wise I was stronger than 3/4 of the field, but really I couldn't put that to use on that course.

It was honestly a just something I did for fun, and I had fun and didn't crash. Maybe next year I'll put in some time and improve my off road handling, but I'll probably ignore it again next year!
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 10-14-19, 06:46 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
Seems like CX is bigger than road here lol I did the CX thing again yesterday at my club's annual race. Got 16/54 in the 4/5 40+ field, almost had 14th but didn't put down enough power and got picked off near the line. It was my best ever finish though, being in upper third, since we're staged by crossresults points in my region I'm hoping I can keep chipping away and improving my starting position (I was staged in the middle). Had an IF of 0.85, which might be the highest I've done in a CX race
Old 10-14-19, 10:30 AM
Doge

Originally Posted by furiousferret
I did my teams CX race today (after working registration for 5 hours), probably got 30th out of 40 in 4/5.

Since it was California CX you have Cat 2 roadies and maybe a few Cat 1s lining up in the 4/5's. It was hands down the biggest field. ...
This is one of the un-intended consequences about having separate categories by discipline.
Besides being a pain to manage you get Cat 1 roadies in Cat 4/5 track, Cat 4/5 cx, Cat 4/5 MTB.
USAC will allow an upgrade, but more paperwork and requests and turn downs.
The turn down response is along the lines the Cat 1 needs to learn how to race with the group (4/5s) in that discipline.

I never have (and doubt USAC upgrade folks have) seen a Cat 1 road rider race with the pack (meaning in the middle knocking it out) of 4/5 roadies on a cx, MTB, track course.
Likes For Doge:
Old 10-14-19, 10:43 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Win...Sunday Oct 13th, Fiesta Island 20k TTT, closed course to all traffic, 64 degrees, very light winds start time 7:03 AM.

When we arrived it was dark and our plan was a warmup on the road. We started our warmup at 6:40 with enough daylight to see. We did not want to go through the effort of setting up trainers and etc so we lived with the warmup we got.

My wife, as usual, blasted out of the hole while I was screaming whoa. I was not ready for that much juice with no warmup to speak of and then I had to suffer for about a 1/2 lap. It was all good. We had a solid ride with good exchanges. I started to feel good on lap 2.

This is a very well run race with a lot of categories. They even sweep the road with a street cleaner before the race. Kudos to the race promoter for a very high value race experience with fast results, smooth check in and in general a good vibe for new as well as experienced racers.
Old 10-14-19, 12:35 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2502 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,567 Posts
Congrats! I had a wedding Saturday so we took it easy on Sunday morning, otherwise I would have shown up to race and volunteer.
Old 10-15-19, 04:17 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by Hermes
Win...Sunday ....
When we arrived it was dark and our plan was a warmup on the road. We started our warmup at 6:40 with enough daylight to see. We did not want to go through the effort of setting up trainers and etc so we lived with the warmup we got.
Congratulations!
Do you play Glenn Gould - Bach in warm up, or save that for the after party?

Actually - warm-up tunes could be a thread.
Old 10-16-19, 09:11 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by Doge
Congratulations!
Do you play Glenn Gould - Bach in warm up, or save that for the after party?

Actually - warm-up tunes could be a thread.
Thanks Doge. No Bach on my warmup list...yet. There may be a couple of Bach pieces that may work like the B minor Fugue or the Partita #4 overture or a mix of the Goldberg Variations. Currently, Lady Gaga's Joanne album is my go to play list for warmup . I think she is amazingly talented and probably plays Bach. I am sure she could sing his choral works.

If you start a warmup tunes thread, I will post for sure.
Old 10-16-19, 09:27 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret

Since it was California CX you have Cat 2 roadies and maybe a few Cat 1s lining up in the 4/5's. It was hands down the biggest field. I was able to put out good power and pass people but those people passed me on the technical sections; my off road skill are atrocious. W/Kg wise I was stronger than 3/4 of the field, but really I couldn't put that to use on that course.

It was honestly a just something I did for fun, and I had fun and didn't crash. Maybe next year I'll put in some time and improve my off road handling, but I'll probably ignore it again next year!
Never worry about Cat1 and 2 roadies in cross. They turn like roadies.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 10-19-19, 08:58 PM
furiousferret

I turn like a roadie!
Old 10-20-19, 08:02 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0