Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Anybody start summer commuting & plan to continue?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-19, 07:59 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts

here's hoping the cycling community picked up some new commuters this spring & summer & that some will try to continue thru the rest of the year!
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 09-12-19, 11:15 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
I specifically got my velomobile to extend my riding season to hopefully 12 months.

So, yes?

Last edited by Notso_fastLane; 09-12-19 at 01:59 PM.
Likes For Notso_fastLane:
Old 09-12-19, 04:33 PM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
I started this spring and I would like to continue all year weather and conditions permitting.
Old 09-12-19, 06:23 PM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
I started commuting a couple summers ago.

Last fall I just didn't stop.

Kept going right on through winter.

I must admit I slowed down a tad in February. 4 degree mornings are a bit rough.
Old 09-12-19, 06:27 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Here it’s the summer afternoons that give me pause. But it helps they’re the ride home. So you’re committed
Old 09-13-19, 05:15 AM
tim24k

Bikes: To many to list. I like them all!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
Well I’m not new to bicycle communing but have returned to it after a long recovery from a double hart bypass. Life is good and I’m still this side of the daisies.
Likes For tim24k:
Old 09-13-19, 12:13 PM
mwbush

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started cycle commuting in May, but just one day a week so far. I plan to keep it up as long as I can.
Old 09-13-19, 12:18 PM
itsivxx

Bikes: Giant and Dyno Roadster

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 10 Posts
If its not pouring rain or snowing I'm riding. I rarely drive anymore knowing everywhere I need to go is within a few miles from me
Likes For itsivxx:
Old 09-13-19, 01:15 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

I did a few split commutes last year & a handful of round trippers this summer. dawned on me the other day, that I might be able to do a few more. but I must admit, my storage for clothing at work, is not strained by what little I wear in the summer. aka stealth commuting
Old 09-13-19, 02:31 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
I don't remember what season it was when I started commuting but it was a December when I resumed bicycling after a long pause. Riding in the cold seemed easy to me then until the snow and ice came, and it was harder to adapt to the warmer weather as I ran out of layers to remove as it warmed up in the spring. Commuting in the cold is still easier for me, I'll take the tradeoff of more time to get dressed over more sweat any day.
Old 09-14-19, 07:50 AM
tweekfreekdX
Title-less

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, and what’s left from my childhood

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Started commuting again after a year break. Moved into a foreclosure last year. Big lifestyle change. It’s actually faster for me to ride to work at this point. Riding to the gym 5 days a week vs a drive is a wash. I made the excuse of a new bike this fall. The plan is to make my current bike do winter duty.
Old 09-16-19, 12:39 AM
36Chambers

Bikes: M4 Stumpjumper, 1993 trek 520, soma stanyan, Miyata pro, 1980 bob jackson, 1985 schwinn tempo,

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts
I commute twice a week, but it actually only is once. I drive my truck to work with my bike on it, and then I ride home. The next morning I ride to work. I love it, but my wife is preggo and almost due. I think I am addicted. It is a mixed feeling. Super happy the baby is coming, but not riding. definitely not playing golf. But, when they are older I plan on commuting more often.
Old 09-20-19, 10:13 PM
Maslin

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
The wife and I started commuting (nearly) every day when school ended last spring. We’ve continued in to this school year and plan to continue through “winter”.

We’ll see how it goes once it dips below 40*, 9 miles each way in cold cold rain is going to be tough.
Old 09-22-19, 09:32 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,453 Times in 1,430 Posts
I haven't had a job to commute to in a long time, but I started taking classes in college, so I started commuting to them in the last week of August. So far, I have ridden every day and have been enjoying it. The alternative to riding for me is taking the subway. I plan to be as tough as possible in the face of weather. When there is slush on the ground, I can take Citi Bike, as the bikes are heavy and sure-footed, and I won't be risking my bike.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-22-19, 11:48 AM
lostronin

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Soma Smoothie, Lynskey Peloton, Look 585, Colnago CX Zero

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
I started commuting this summer and I’m at three days a week. It’s only seven miles round trip, but we’ll see how tough I am once winter hits. Street parking in Boston is an urban nightmare, so it’s nice to have the option to ditch the car and hold on to my precious spot. I’m currently riding 700 x 25c Schwalbe Lugano. What are people running for winter tires?
Old 09-23-19, 03:57 AM
baldilocks

Bikes: Giant ATX Lite & Schwinn Mesa

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Last year I rode till February when too much snow made it impossible to share the roads (safely) with cars. I hope to continue as long as possible this year as well.
Old 09-27-19, 09:21 AM
TXBDan

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX, Trek Checkpoint

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
That's me. I started this summer but still only ride 2-3 times a week (9miles each way). My ride on Tuesday got a little sketchy in the dim lighting. I had only my rear blinkie on and a hiviz tshirt.

It's getting cooler so i ordered a hiviz jacket and additional front/rear blinkies. I'll keep my current rear light as a slow pulse or steady light and i also have a front headlight to actually see with. So two lights front and rear, one blink, one steady. Maybe i'll put the rear blinkie on my helmet.

Now i'm working on my side-view reflection. I'll prob get those 3M reflective tape squares to put on my spokes.

Maybe i'll bring out my mountain bike for a snowy commute once or twice, but i don't see that happening too often frankly.
Old 10-08-19, 07:46 PM
Alligator

Bikes: Too many. I’m constantly selling and buying new bikes.

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
I changed jobs this summer and started commuting to work (10 miles each way). It’s been a lot of fun. Had my first heavy, cold rain the other day, and since I was riding home from work, I didn’t care one bit. I also like to tell myself on my way to work that because I leave about the same time each day, that perhaps there are drivers in cars next to me that see me every day and wish they were me. Makes me smile.
Old 10-11-19, 09:04 AM
nayr497

Bikes: How'd I get this many?

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Been commuting year-round since 2002, in the mid Atlantic, the northeast, and now the south. I wouldn't have it any other way
Old 10-12-19, 11:27 PM
hippos_eat_men

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just started commuting at the start of September. Plan on riding through the winter. Any glove suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 10-14-19, 06:55 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by hippos_eat_men
Plan on riding through the winter. Any glove suggestions would be appreciated.
everyone's "winter" is different. have you browsed the winter subforum?

https://www.bikeforums.net/winter-cycling/

for threads like this one about gloves

https://www.bikeforums.net/winter-cy...er-gloves.html

I recently posted about some cheap gloves I've used a lot but I can't quickly find it right now. basically I had written that I liked using some cheap football fan gloves, for most of last fall & winter. so I would suggest using what you might already have. up North where I am, some ppl also use barmitts (which are great for rain) &/or expensive cycling gloves

good luck with your personal journey
Old 11-03-19, 09:08 PM
a1penguin

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
I broke my wrist in August 2018 and didn't start biking until next April. It was a very wet winter and cold spring and I was not motivated to start biking. A friend at work had a pace maker installed at that same time and he never really started biking. I have 2500 miles this year, hoping to get to 3000 and if it doesn't rain a lot I'll make it. I biked to work all winter two winters ago. The purchase of Shimano winter cycling shoes made the world of difference keeping my feet warm. Another difference was splurging on a $100 (on sale) Castelli winter jersey. It was warm enough that 80% of the time, it was all I needed for the 22 mile ride to work in the morning (Train most of the way home). Finally, when it got really cold here (sub 40F), fleece lined skull cap under the helmet. That old wive's tale my mother used to tell me really is true: you lose a lot of heat through your head; wear a hat. Rain, however, is showstopper for me :-)
Old 11-04-19, 06:05 AM
ironnerd
Blue Collar Cyclist

Bikes: Motobecane Gravel X1, Iron Horse Maverick 1.0

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
I actually do plan to ride through the winter. Although Atlanta winter is not the same as Grand Rapids winter, it's still sucks. It's cold, and it rains a lot. My old bike ran into shifting problems below 272ēK, so I'm curious to see how the new bike does in the chill.

I've been looking at some clothes for winter cycling, and I'm not liking my options. I can look like a middle-aged super-hero cosplayer in spandex, or I can look like a smooth-brained hippster in overpriced jeans.

For now I am just looking for:
Gloves, full finger, cycling.
Hat, stocking, warm.
Mask, cold weather, neoprene (non-heroic) - although I find this one oddly tempting LINK
Jacket, rain repellent, safety yellow
Pants, rain repellent.
Bands, pant leg restraining ]LINK

I... I can't do this one... I just can't LINK

And since I'm spending that money, I'll get a new set of lights. My current lights are pathetic.

Last edited by ironnerd; 11-04-19 at 06:18 AM.
Old 11-05-19, 01:30 AM
a1penguin

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by ironnerd
I actually do plan to ride through the winter. Although Atlanta winter is not the same as Grand Rapids winter, it's still sucks. It's cold, and it rains a lot. My old bike ran into shifting problems below 272ēK, so I'm curious to see how the new bike does in the chill.

I've been looking at some clothes for winter cycling, and I'm not liking my options. I can look like a middle-aged super-hero cosplayer in spandex, or I can look like a smooth-brained hippster in overpriced jeans.

For now I am just looking for:
Gloves, full finger, cycling.
Hat, stocking, warm.
Mask, cold weather, neoprene (non-heroic) - although I find this one oddly tempting LINK
Jacket, rain repellent, safety yellow
Pants, rain repellent.
Bands, pant leg restraining ]LINK

I... I can't do this one... I just can't LINK

And since I'm spending that money, I'll get a new set of lights. My current lights are pathetic.
Check out the threads in the Winter Cycling forum. You'll find some good suggestions. But every rider is different. My feet are cold below 60F, but my hands stay pretty warm :-)

One thing I learned as the weather got colder is that a fleece lined skull cap made the world of difference keeping heat in. Adding a skull cap kept the front of my thighs from getting cold! My outer layers tend to be cycling specific for the features, but under layers can be any technical clothing. I've picked up inexpensive clothing at Marshall's TJ Maxx, etc. Cold weather Under Armour long sleeve jerseys for $15-20! Unfortunately, it rarely gets cold enough here to warrant that heavy an base layer.
Old 11-10-19, 12:47 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I've been year-round for a while. The last six years were a short commute in western Wisconsin, and this year is a longer (18-20 mile RT) in North Carolina.

I didn't even bring my winter bike down here, though I brought a gravel bike and set of studs just in case of ice. So far, I pulled out the Level 1 Winter gear, but haven't used any of it other than the tights. I doubt I'll get below Level 1, but brought some Level 2 just in case. I doubt I'll need the ski goggles, but one never knows.

I think winter commuting here will be lovely and delightful!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.