Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Riding with Prescription Glasses / Sunglasses?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 06-16-15, 08:51 AM
Lehigh98

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.0 LE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys,
Just registered on the forum and searched but still unclear on the best approach here and looking for opinions. I wear prescription glasses and have clip on sunglasses that attach to the top of the frame (but not very confident in the ability to stay on in in high crosswinds). I just got into road cycling and bought my first bike, I'm now working my way up to a 65 mile ride in about 4-5 weeks.

My question is, for riders with prescription glasses on long rides, what do you wear? Do you wear your normal glasses or do you have special prescription wrap-around type glasses? Do you have special sunglasses that you wear for sunny days? Are they separate and other prescription glasses or do you have some type of clip on or other set of glasses that go on top of your regular glasses?

Any general info or advice would be appreciated or links to products that you would recommend whether they be cheap add ons on specialty prescription glasses.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Lehigh98; 06-16-15 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 06-16-15, 08:57 AM
coupster

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
I've got a pair of Bolle Vigilante's with a prescription insert. I like them because I can easily change the lenses - dark for bright & sunny, amber for cloudy and clear for dark. I got them at Performance many years ago. My local optometrist filled the insert.
Old 06-16-15, 08:59 AM
eastbay71

Bikes: the bikes own me

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I wear my regular glasses when I'm commuting. They have transition lenses so they darken in the sun. I need my glasses to read and to see the fine details so I don't really like riding without them anymore.
Old 06-16-15, 08:59 AM
modman

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I purchased a set of clear Rx and sunglass Rx glasses from a well-known online discount glasses provider. Couldn't be happier. The price is so good, I'm considering knock-off transitions from the same place for rides where the Wx changes.
Old 06-16-15, 09:03 AM
doug59

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I wear my prescription sunglasses. I picked up a pair of RayBans a few years ago and can't imagine being without them. They are incredibly comfortable and do the job they are suppose to do.
Old 06-16-15, 09:04 AM
JerrySTL

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I have Rudy Project prescription sunglasses. My eyesight is so bad that I have to use inserts as they can't grind the outer lenses enough.

Tip if you need bifocals: Get the cheaper lined bifocals especially if you have to use inserts. With the line-less, progressive bifocals, you are constantly moving your head up and down to focus. Also the peripheral vision isn't so good. With the lined bifocals, you can basically just look down to read your bike computer/map/cue sheet and up to see the road. With inserts the outer lenses hid the dorky lined bifocal.
Old 06-16-15, 09:10 AM
kc0bbq

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2.0, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6, 2015 Propel Advanced SL 2, 2000 K2 Zed SE

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When speeds got to the point where non-purpose built glasses were no longer viable I gave in and spent the money on decent prescription cycling glasses. The shape of lenses requires a bit more technology to get something to work if you have much correction at all, so it's just worth it to get something that will always be good enough.

I didn't want full wrap around, and wanted vents because of the local weather so I ended up getting Oakley Racing Jackets. One eye is just worse than Oakley themselves makes lenses for, so they're custom ground. It's amazing how "digital" prescription lenses are made, they do an unbelievable job of counteracting distortion due to big, curved lenses. I used ADS Eyewear, and their custom lenses ended up being cheaper than the Oakley lenses, and if they're any less bulletproof than the Oakley lenses I haven't seen it. I am not gentle with glasses and they have taken quite a beating in stride.
Old 06-16-15, 09:16 AM
Sidney Porter

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 2 Posts
I have a pair of rec-specs with transition lens. I wear them for all sports. They look similar to these.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rec-specs_maxx30_hero_6.jpg (47.8 KB, 36 views)
Old 06-16-15, 09:19 AM
solo118

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by doug59
I wear my prescription sunglasses. I picked up a pair of RayBans a few years ago and can't imagine being without them. They are incredibly comfortable and do the job they are suppose to do.
This. I actually had an older pair that work well for me, and if they fall/break I won't be too upset.
Old 06-16-15, 09:39 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by eastbay71
I wear my regular glasses when I'm commuting. They have transition lenses so they darken in the sun. I need my glasses to read and to see the fine details so I don't really like riding without them anymore.
+1 Regular prescription glasses with Transition lenses. My only pair of glasses. Does everything.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 06-16-15, 10:04 AM
UnfilteredDregs

Bikes: Salsa Ti Warbird- 2014/ November RAIL52s

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
DUX HELM

Replacement lenses are $40.00 a pop. Visor slides down cleanly over my glasses...

Unlike glasses, the visor will keep crap out of your eyes.

Last edited by UnfilteredDregs; 06-16-15 at 10:08 AM.
Old 06-16-15, 10:51 AM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I use prescription wrap-around sunglasses with Transitions-brand lenses. Wrap-around style really helps with wind and dust and high-speed descents. Some of the designer sunglass brands are very nice, but much cheaper options are usually available directly from your local optician. There are also online opticians like Sportrx.com that have good reputations.
Old 06-16-15, 10:59 AM
cale

Bikes: Kuota Ksano. Litespeed T5 gravel - brilliant!

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I use prescription glasses but a helmet visor helps. My prescription sunglasses have been in use for over a decade and were a very worthwhile investment. But they aren't cheap and so I wear a eyeglass retainer to save them if they should ever fall off.
Old 06-16-15, 11:06 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I got a pair of Rudy Project glasses that accept a prescription insert. That way i can change lenses from clear photo chromatic to solid dark and only need one prescription insert.

Old 06-16-15, 11:18 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Wiley X Prescription Sunglasses: Premium Frames & Performance Lenses
Old 06-16-15, 11:47 AM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 57 Posts
I use Randolph Engineering frames with cable temple pieces to prevent them from accidentally falling off. They're similar to Ray-Bans, but the rims are a little beefier to accommodate thicker prescription lenses. I have two separate frames, one with neutral grey tinted lenses and one with clear lenses.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Old 06-16-15, 12:12 PM
colnago62

Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
I wear contacts when I ride. That way, I can use non prescription sunglasses. The curve that is in Oakley and other manufacturers, limits the prescription that can be used.
Old 06-16-15, 01:07 PM
KenshiBiker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JerrySTL
I have Rudy Project prescription sunglasses. My eyesight is so bad that I have to use inserts as they can't grind the outer lenses enough.

Tip if you need bifocals: Get the cheaper lined bifocals especially if you have to use inserts. With the line-less, progressive bifocals, you are constantly moving your head up and down to focus. Also the peripheral vision isn't so good. With the lined bifocals, you can basically just look down to read your bike computer/map/cue sheet and up to see the road. With inserts the outer lenses hid the dorky lined bifocal.
Originally Posted by oldnslow2
I got a pair of Rudy Project glasses that accept a prescription insert. That way i can change lenses from clear photo chromatic to solid dark and only need one prescription insert.

+1 on the Rudy Project (Rydons) with insert. The only complaint I have against them is fogging in winter. The insert makes it impossible to clear the condensation by wiping (without removing the insert). So in the winter I switch to a pair of racquetball specs. No tinting, but then I'm usually riding in the dark, at least part way in the winter.
Old 06-16-15, 01:19 PM
JerrySTL

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by KenshiBiker
+1 on the Rudy Project (Rydons) with insert. The only complaint I have against them is fogging in winter. The insert makes it impossible to clear the condensation by wiping (without removing the insert). So in the winter I switch to a pair of racquetball specs. No tinting, but then I'm usually riding in the dark, at least part way in the winter.
I have a complaint with my Rydons. The frame where it touches my ears is rather sharp and the frame also touches my helmet. As I move my head, there's a sawing action that was starting to cut into my ears. I had wrap some material on the frame there. I didn't have such a problem with my old RB3s and Exceptions. Other than that, they are great.

Oh! If your glasses have replaceable lenses, get a set of yellow. Great for cloudy or rainy days.
Old 06-16-15, 01:32 PM
KenshiBiker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JerrySTL
I have a complaint with my Rydons. The frame where it touches my ears is rather sharp and the frame also touches my helmet. As I move my head, there's a sawing action that was starting to cut into my ears. I had wrap some material on the frame there. I didn't have such a problem with my old RB3s and Exceptions. Other than that, they are great.

Oh! If your glasses have replaceable lenses, get a set of yellow. Great for cloudy or rainy days.
Haven't noticed a problem with the frames bothering my ears (yet - I've probably jinxed myself and it'll be all I can think of on the ride home tonight ). Oh, and I do have the yellow lenses (as well as clear, a mid-photochromic, and "laser black"); and use them fairly often for daytime rides in the winter (if I don't think fogging will be a problem).
Old 06-16-15, 01:49 PM
kc0bbq

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2.0, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6, 2015 Propel Advanced SL 2, 2000 K2 Zed SE

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
I wear contacts when I ride. That way, I can use non prescription sunglasses. The curve that is in Oakley and other manufacturers, limits the prescription that can be used.
There's technology that counteracts that, and does it surprisingly well. I thought I'd be out of luck because one of my eyes exceeds what Oakley offers as standard, but the shop ground lenses, matched the tinting and coatings I wanted without an issue. Cheaper than Oakley branded prescription lenses, but made from similar materials. Even looking way out towards the edge the freeform prescription completely deals with warping.

All that while riding much closer to the face than regular glasses. As someone who has work moderately strong prescriptions for most of their life I was pretty surprised.

My eyes are a bit sensitive to contacts, so my options there are limited. Obviously it'd be cheaper to have nonprescription lenses, Oakleys with prescription lenses cost the same as nonprescription with 3 or 4 sets of lenses. :/

I wasn't stuck on the brand, I just didn't want inserts and that narrows what you can choose from. I don't really want to be seen in those things not on a bike...
Old 06-16-15, 03:14 PM
Up North

Bikes: P1 Domane Di2, SLR Emonda Di2, Trek Farley 9 Fatbike

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Oakley RX for me, not cheap. Only thing I did wrong was wait two years to bite the bullet. will never go without again.
Old 06-16-15, 04:26 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 2,170 Times in 1,462 Posts
Oakley RX for me as well. The price is similar to regular glasses with the RX inserts but without all the hassles.
Old 06-16-15, 07:17 PM
Willbird

Bikes: 2001 Trek Multitrack 7200, 2104 Fuji Sportif 1.5

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I bought a pair of Wiley x with the insert lenses, if I'm heading out into a good chance of rain I just wear my normal scrip glasses, the Wiley x and the insert lenses are just too many surfaces covered with water beads :-).

could get Rudy project from one of the specialty shops,would be about $600, maybe next year :-)
Old 06-16-15, 07:37 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by KenshiBiker

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.