Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Any Trek carbon frame owners have the BB play issue?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Any Trek carbon frame owners have the BB play issue?

Old 06-09-19, 10:54 AM
BluFalconActual

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Yeah their new Crockett CX bike was just announced with a threaded T47 BB.
I haven’t had any issues with the BB in my Émonda but I will seriously start looking at buying a new bike if they update the emonda with a T47 in conjunction with whatever the new Ultegra stuff is in a couple years.
I am not loyal to a specific brand, but I am loyal to my LBS who has always taken care of me. My Émonda though is a fantastic bike has become a true friend of mine the past couple of years.
Old 06-09-19, 12:41 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
I just bought this for my two Treks. I hope this will at least solve the problem with frame damagehttps://www.merlincycles.com/token-n...le-131676.html
Old 06-12-19, 01:27 PM
City Guy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Hi.

Please post and let us know how this part works out for you and your Treks

Originally Posted by colnago62
I just bought this for my two Treks. I hope this will at least solve the problem with frame damagehttps://www.merlincycles.com/token-n...le-131676.html
Old 10-18-19, 01:38 PM
ivanparks

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gasser5.2 - I've just been told I have the same problem and need the BB shell built up with additional carbon fiber from Trek. They said it will take 2 weeks. Was wondering how you've done since they fixed yours in 2017? Any recurrence? How long did they have your bike? Any other advice? Thanks
Old 10-21-19, 12:30 PM
Gasser5.2

Bikes: 2016 Trek Domane 5.2

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ivanparks
Gasser5.2 - I've just been told I have the same problem and need the BB shell built up with additional carbon fiber from Trek. They said it will take 2 weeks. Was wondering how you've done since they fixed yours in 2017? Any recurrence? How long did they have your bike? Any other advice? Thanks
The BB shell build up is still holding. I believe the turnaround was 2-3 weeks. Be sure and check it after each ride for a while afterwards.
Likes For Gasser5.2:
Old 10-21-19, 02:49 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Gasser5.2
The BB shell build up is still holding. I believe the turnaround was 2-3 weeks. Be sure and check it after each ride for a while afterwards.
how does that work exactly? melt the resin and put in a few more layers of carbon fiber? do they do it by hand? how can they make sure it is absolute round
Old 10-21-19, 03:33 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by Chi_Z
how does that work exactly? melt the resin and put in a few more layers of carbon fiber? do they do it by hand? how can they make sure it is absolute round
Build it up, then machine to size?
Old 10-22-19, 03:56 PM
jfranci3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
I think both Trek and BBInfinite sell oversized bearings - https://www.bbinfinite.com/products/...t=921366265870
Hambini sells https://www.hambini.com/trek-bb90-bearing-kit.html
Token and wheels mfg sell the screw together, but those can remove paint as you install.

At some point you need to shim it.
Old 10-22-19, 06:55 PM
colnago62

Originally Posted by jfranci3
I think both Trek and BBInfinite sell oversized bearings - https://www.bbinfinite.com/products/...t=921366265870
Hambini sells https://www.hambini.com/trek-bb90-bearing-kit.html
Token and wheels mfg sell the screw together, but those can remove paint as you install.

At some point you need to shim it.
BBInfinite does not use an oversized bearing, they use a different glue for situations in which you have a worn out shell.
Old 03-28-20, 07:58 AM
Robertagol

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Trek Madona 5.2 developed play in the cranks shaft. That has increased over a short time. I am told that the bearings can wear away and the shaft will eat into the carbon making the hole too large for a re-fit.

When the carbon wears away, is that covered under the frame warranty?

Is this common with Trek?
Old 03-28-20, 09:16 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by Robertagol
When the carbon wears away, is that covered under the frame warranty?
It should be, if you're the original owner. Contact the shop where you bought it.

Originally Posted by Robertagol
Is this common with Trek?
It happens. Is is common? Ask Trek. People will be all too happy to chime in with their bad experience and others will likewise be happy to relate what happened to a friend of a friend's cousin.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-28-20, 11:13 AM
colnago62

Originally Posted by Gasser5.2
They're looking at the Loctite as the permanent fix, but have assured me in writing if it doesn't work they will replace the frame. For now, that's good enough for me as they've always done right by me in the past. If I do end up needing a new frame I'm going to insist on a free bike fit for my trouble.
In the last 9 nine years, I have owned 4 Project One Treks. Two of them had the problems you are having and had to go back to get the bottom bracket shell resurfaced. I started using BB Infinite bearings instead of the Trek bearings and that seemed to help with the creaking sounds and such. We will see if they actually last longer.
Old 03-28-20, 11:27 AM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
I suspect that the occasional Trek has a badly machined BB90 bearing bed - that is the bearings are not exactly perfectly longitudinal so when you press in the bearings in they are slightly tilted to one another. This is sure to cause a problem like that. It must be rare though since complaints are few and far between. I have a 2012 Madone and a 2018 Emonda that aren't put together yet how to not have any such problems.

Since the Madone is a 6.9, it is an aero bike and it is NOT set up for Di2 and requires an external battery and a couple of special Trek parts where you have to drill a hole and insert them in order to get the internal wiring. This is a bit discouraging since the same year 6.2 is designed to take Di2.