Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Walking Pneumonia and those of us 50+

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-17, 05:03 AM
Cyclist0084

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 90 Posts

I know everyone is different, thus recoveries from illnesses are at differing rates, but I do have a question. I was diagnosed with walking pneumonia back on March 4th (although I had been sick for a couple days prior to the diagnosis) and even with the antibiotics the doctor prescribed for me, ten days later I still feel like, as an old boss used to say, poop on a shoe. I called my doctor yesterday and she said that it takes time to recover, sometimes up to a month. That has me discouraged, because the last time I had this, about 6.5 years ago (was 46 at that time), I bounced back from it pretty quickly.

So, I guess I said all of that to ask this.....have any of you experienced walking pneumonia after 50, and if so, how long did it take you to fully recover? I see my bike sitting there in my enclosed porch, and I'm just itching to get back on it....but at least I know better to do so until I'm fully well, especially since freezing temps (and now snow) have returned to the Chicago area.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Last edited by Cyclist0084; 03-14-17 at 05:08 AM. Reason: typos
Old 03-14-17, 05:20 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 504 Posts
If doc says easy pedaling is OK, I'd go for it.
Old 03-14-17, 05:51 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Last time I had it, the doc refused to prescribe anything for it until I'd been sick over 2 months. If the congestion doesn't clear up with the first course, you may need a second round of different antibiotics.
Old 03-14-17, 09:39 AM
Tusky

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Once you are well ask your doctor for the vaccine!
Old 03-14-17, 09:47 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Took me six months to heal the First Time, and I was 35 y/o

Old 03-14-17, 09:50 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,986 Times in 569 Posts
I can tell you this. I had pneumonia at 17, and except for the fever and persistent cough, I felt fine. Our doc put me into the hospital where they put me in a misty oxygen tent for a week (no antibiotics ... it was viral pneumonia). Oy was that fun ... sitting there listening to the hissing all day.

When I was finally released a week later, the doc told me that if I was an older man, it would have likely killed me. And by the time I was released, I got winded simply walking across the room and back.

So I guess my input is this ... pneumonia is serious (and sometimes deadly) stuff. It can make you sicker than you think, and getting back can take longer than you might expect. A month doesn't surprise me at all.

PS: One thing I learned from the experience is that if I have chest congestion and a temperature for more than a couple of days, I see a doc straightaway.

Old 03-14-17, 09:52 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3888 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Did they culture you? What color is/was your sputum? Are you experiencing asthma, i.e. wheezing on hard exhalation?
Old 03-14-17, 10:03 AM
Cyclist0084

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
If doc says easy pedaling is OK, I'd go for it.
With the way I currently feel, even if I did easy pedaling just from my front door to the street (probably no more than 50 feet), it would probably kill me. No, I don't think there's even going to be any easy pedaling for a while still. I can't even do my trainer for more than a few seconds.

Originally Posted by Tusky
Once you are well ask your doctor for the vaccine!
I did not know there was a vaccine for walking pneumonia. I will certainly be asking her about it the next time we speak.

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Took me six months to heal the First Time, and I was 35 y/o

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Did they culture you? What color is/was your sputum? Are you experiencing asthma, i.e. wheezing on hard exhalation?
No, no cultures were taken, just x-rays and listening to my lungs when trying to take deep breaths, and hacking up a lung in the process. No wheezing, just feels like my lungs are on fire whenever I cough.
Old 03-14-17, 11:07 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by IndianaRecRider
I did not know there was a vaccine for walking pneumonia. I will certainly be asking her about it the next time we speak.
The term "walking pneumonia" does not describe a specific organism against which a vaccine could be deployed, but rather an infection with less-than-debilitating symptoms. The pneumonia vaccine protects against pneumococcal infection, which accounts for many, but by no means all, cases of pneumonia. The vaccine is about 50-85% effective against future pneumococcal infection. Walking pneumonia usually is due to a bacterium called Mycoplasma pneumoniae, which is not a pneumococcal organism.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/pne...lic/index.html
Old 03-14-17, 11:10 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
According to WebMD, true walking pneumonia is caused by a bacteria. And it says this:

"When you see your doctor, she will decide if you need antibiotics. If she does start you on them, you should begin to feel better within a few days."

I remember that most of my congestion disappeared in a few days, but it took a week or so to regain my strength and feel close-to-normal.
Old 03-14-17, 11:24 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by IndianaRecRider
With the way I currently feel, even if I did easy pedaling just from my front door to the street (probably no more than 50 feet), it would probably kill me. No, I don't think there's even going to be any easy pedaling for a while still. I can't even do my trainer for more than a few seconds.

No, no cultures were taken, just x-rays and listening to my lungs when trying to take deep breaths, and hacking up a lung in the process. No wheezing, just feels like my lungs are on fire whenever I cough.
You might guess that I trust no doctor other than my own, which would now certainly include yours. Prescribing antibiotics without a culture is Not Done, so no great wonder it didn't do anything. Yes, pneumonia vaccines have been available for many years. Cheap, too. Ridiculous that your doctor didn't mention that since you're over 50. Major cause of death among the "mature." Get a shingles vaccination while you're at it. Probably have to wait until you're well. Get a steamer for your bedside, the kind with a little cup to hold the Mentholatum. That's the most useful thing right now. When I get so I can ride again, the best thing for me is a 4 hour moderate (flat) rain ride. Kinda like the steamer in the daytime. Fixes me right up. YMMV
Old 03-14-17, 11:45 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
If you're old like me (65+), get both pneumococcal vaccines (not at the same time). Also recommended for those from 2-64 who are at increased risk. https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/pne...lic/index.html

A bit off-topic although previously mentioned, but shingles vaccine is recommended by CDC for those 60+ and approved by FDA for those 50+. The down side is that it lasts for about five years. Mine's probably about done wore out

Last edited by JanMM; 03-14-17 at 11:52 AM.
Old 03-14-17, 11:57 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,986 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
If you're old like me (65+), get both pneumococcal vaccines (not at the same time). Also recommended for those from 2-64 who are at increased risk. https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/pne...lic/index.html

A bit off-topic although previously mentioned, but shingles vaccine is recommended by CDC for those 60+ and approved by FDA for those 50+. The down side is that it lasts for about five years. Mine's probably about done wore out
Thanks for the reminder. I had shingles in my 20s and don't want to repeat that experience.

Old 03-14-17, 01:01 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Here's a FB post from an older triathlete friend of mine. She's been to Kona, so she's really a top performer. I've had a cough since about Jan. 7, so I'm taking her advice and going in for a chest X-ray this week.
If you've had a cough for weeks or months, read this:
I have been sick with "a cold," off and on since early November. I've had a cough, and my energy has been super low the whole time. I went to the doctor in December, January, and February. Each time, they listened to my lungs and said, "Don't hear anything - you don't have pneumonia. This year's bug seems to be lasting a long time. Just keep resting."

Finally, in early February, I went back a 4th time. "I'm still sick. There's something seriously wrong." A new, really thorough, nurse practitioner went over all my symptoms and said, "Even though we can't hear anything in your lungs, all your symptoms point to pneumonia. Let's do a chest x-ray."

The chest x-ray (and subsequent chest CT scan) showed a GOLFBALL-SIZED MASS, plus plugged-up airways surrounding the mass. Turns out, I've had pneumonia for at least a couple of months.
MY MESSAGE TO YOU: If you're still coughing (productive or not) and feeling low energy, INSIST on a chest x-ray, even if your doctor can't hear anything abnormal in your lungs. A "regular old cold" should go away in a week or so. If it doesn't, you might have pneumonia.

Especially if you're in good overall health. As an athlete, my lungs are still in good working order - except for the pneumonia. My vital signs are perfect, my oxygenation is still at/near 100%. All the "usual" symptoms are missing, simply because I'm really healthy. But I was still really sick.

At this point, my recovery will be 6-12 months. Don't know how much permanent lung damage I've sustained. Fortunately, it's a treatable pneumonia (fungal - aspergillum fumigate). Unfortunately, I've been out of work for over 2 weeks, I'm out of sick leave, I haven't been able to exercise for over a month (before that, I was so weak I couldn't do much), and I will end up being sick for probably 2 months longer than necessary. This year's marathon, half marathon, and half Ironman are all cancelled.

Hopefully this post will help someone avoid staying sick longer than necessary.
She got a prescription for a specific anti-fungal, says so far not much change except that the medicine is slightly psychedelic.
Old 03-14-17, 01:42 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18374 Post(s)
Liked 4,510 Times in 3,352 Posts
A month or so for your lungs to clear out isn't unreasonable.

I got what I'm blaming on the Swine Flu in January. Over a week later, and I was in bad shape, so off to see the doctor. He diagnosed me with pneumonia and gave me prednisone + antibiotics. It took me 10 days more of being pretty miserable until I started really improving. I'm still not sure if it as the antibiotics, time, or steroids. Fever had pretty much broken by the time I saw the doctor.

I got a cheap Pulse-OX to monitor O2 saturation. I was down in the low 80's on diagnosis, and it took quite a while to get back to the mid to upper 90's (I think it should be 98 to 100).

I tend to get coughs that will last a long time, so a month later, and I'm better, but still coughing. I'm expecting this cough to linger until June or so when it gets hot and dry out.

I'm not sure about cycling in cold weather, but I believe there are some benefits of getting out and doing some deep breathing. So, some exercise isn't bad. I stayed a bit at my mother's house, and did some chopping wood and storm cleanup. And, I believe it was good for me to get out and get moving.

I'm back riding a lot, but a bit slower than I was earlier
Old 03-14-17, 05:14 PM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
Well you learn something new every day.

I'm 70 years old and, until five minutes ago, I had never heard of walking pneumonia. Is that what we in the UK call mild pneumonia?

Whatever it's called take care with the recovery.
Old 03-14-17, 06:06 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Some history on the term 'walking pneumonia' from Wiki (Pedia, not Leaks). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atypical_pneumonia

As an RN working in a quality abstraction role, I have looked at many, many patient charts in the last few years and don't recall seeing 'walking pneumonia' in any documentation. Altho it could still be thrown into a note by a physician or other provider.

Anyone with a suspicion that they could possibly have pneumonia should get thee to a healthcare provider.
Old 03-14-17, 06:20 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I've never heard walking pneumonia referred to unless it was in conjunction with boogie woogie flu.

Last couple of times I had anything like that was about 12 years ago when I underestimated a respiratory bug. Apparently a relative took me to the ER, where they pumped me full of Prednisone and antibiotics. I don't remember that part, although I do remember the week-long course of oral steroids.

Reminds me, I'm overdue for the pneumonia vaccine. I've had so many bouts with pneumonia and respiratory bugs since childhood it's always compromised my aerobic conditioning even when I was in peak condition in my 20s. Doesn't hinder me enough now to worry about, but I probably shouldn't be so complacent about it.
Old 03-14-17, 06:45 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
I think it is better called chronic pneumonia and it is usually persistent in people with a compromised immune system. Of course older folks generally have weakening immunes systems thus increased concern.

I could be wrong but shingles vaccine is useful for those who have been exposed to the chickenpox as it may return in later life presenting as shingles.

J
Old 03-14-17, 07:56 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Originally Posted by Loose Chain
I think it is better called chronic pneumonia and it is usually persistent in people with a compromised immune system. Of course older folks generally have weakening immunes systems thus increased concern.

I could be wrong but shingles vaccine is useful for those who have been exposed to the chickenpox as it may return in later life presenting as shingles.

J
Correct and it is assumed that anyone over about 50 had chickenpox in the past.
Old 03-14-17, 08:26 PM
steve0257

Bikes: Raleigh Port Townsend, Raleigh Tourist

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
Some history on the term 'walking pneumonia' from Wiki (Pedia, not Leaks). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atypical_pneumonia

As an RN working in a quality abstraction role, I have looked at many, many patient charts in the last few years and don't recall seeing 'walking pneumonia' in any documentation. Altho it could still be thrown into a note by a physician or other provider.

Anyone with a suspicion that they could possibly have pneumonia should get thee to a healthcare provider.
Walking pneumonia is probably a common name for something else. The same way a lot of people will say thay had the stomach flu when it was usually from eating something that had gone a little off.
Old 03-14-17, 09:16 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
Stay indoors. Use your 'down time' to ride a recumbent exercise bike or old-school rollers to stay in shape. Clean/rebuild/upgrade your bike.

I was a USPS mail carrier for 33 years in cold damp Cleveland, and pneumonia was a regular thing for me every couple of years.. Coughing 'til I passed out, etc. There is nothing you can do because Pneumonia is a virus, and modern medicine has no cure for viruses!!! The ONLY thing you can do is to build up your physical being and increase your stamina so you have a reserve strength!
Old 03-14-17, 10:41 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Pneumonia just describes a generic condition that hinders oxygen exchange, generally affecting the alveoli, and is not specific to pathogen. It can be caused by viruses, bacteria or fungi. So some types are responsive to antibiotics and antifungal agents.

There are some predictors or risk indicators for certain types. I have moderate asthma, a moderate auto-immune disease (Hashimoto's) and a history of bronchitis and pneumonia, but good response to ordinary treatments like Prednisone and antibiotics. But folks with other factors may have different vulnerabilities and may respond better to other preventives and treatments.
Old 03-16-17, 11:55 PM
MtnBkrBear

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Everyone is different, but it took me about a month. It was my energy level which determined whether or not I wanted to ride. Walking pneumonia makes me tired, which Is my body's way of telling me to rest up. Eat well, drink liquids, get all the sleep you need. That's my $.02.
Old 03-17-17, 12:13 AM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
After rarely catching any respiratory infections for decades, both my wife and I got pneumonia last year AND this year. Last year she got hit hard and was down for a couple of months while I barely noticed it. This year, she waltzed through it while I thought I was going to die (literally). After a couple of weeks down, I finally went to my physician during the second week of December. It wasn't until the middle of February that I was able to start exercising again. For those two months I felt like I was 120 years old. Even walking to my local grocery store was an epic event.

Unfortunately, while I initially lost a bit of weight, there was a long stretch there where I was eating plenty but not burning any off. I've gotten rid of about twenty-five of the thirty-five pounds of excess I put on over the past five and a half weeks and expect to be back to my normal weight by the end of the month. I'm even hoping to be somewhat back to normal fitness by the end of April.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.