Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Can Shimano bar-end shifters be rebuilt?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 03-21-17, 01:18 PM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

I've got several sets of 9-speed Shimano Dura-Ace bar-end shifters on my bikes. One of them is shifting poorly and my bike shop told that they think it is worn out. The problem is most evident in the index mode, but it shifts tolerable in the friction mode. (The left shifter for the FD works fine.) The shifters have very few parts, so it seems like it wouldn't be too difficult to repair. Has anyone repaired them and do you know which part(s) to order?
Old 03-21-17, 01:44 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
What condition are your cables in? Have you checked that your derailleur hanger is straight?
Old 03-21-17, 01:52 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
The detents are Plastic, I believe.. Shimano does not do repair parts well at all..

enjoy your friction pair of bar end shifters..

Old 03-21-17, 01:55 PM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
The cables were replaced when my bike shop noted the problem. It didn't shift well even after installing new cables, cassette and chain. I switched the shifters to friction mode as an interim solution and can get a replacement from another bike that I plan to dissemble and sell. However, I would like to repair the faulty shifter if possible and worth the cost.
Old 03-21-17, 02:27 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Micro shift, a division of Sun Race, also makes bar end shifters..

Old 03-21-17, 06:31 PM
Rubato

Bikes: 91 Trek franken '81 Schwinn Voyager

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Micro shift, a division of Sun Race, also makes bar end shifters..

Are they compatible with Shimano cogsets and chain rings?
Old 03-21-17, 06:54 PM
coupster

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
I've got 10 spd Microshift barends on an otherwise complete 105 compact crank drivetrain and they work just fine
Old 03-21-17, 07:19 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
So, the 7700 series bar end and downtube shifters all use the same plug-in indexing module, which is similar to Shimano 6208/Dura Ace 740X in that it uses a set of six tabs to lock into the mounting boss (BTW, if you are using a later mounting boss without the tab imswrts, that might be your problem). When the tabs break off, they get jammed in the works and create problems. Over time, when they all break off, you're pretty much screwed.

There's no way to fix them, but you can replace the indexing module with a set from either bar end or downtube shifters (they just pop out, but watch for the orientation of thr funny shaped clip on the mounting boss side).
Old 03-21-17, 09:40 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Originally Posted by Rubato
Are they compatible with Shimano cogsets and chain rings?
Try and report, take some initiative, don't be timid..

I got off the derailleur bandwagon at 7 speed freewheels that worked fine with all metal sun tour ratchet-friction shifters

they worked unfailingly for decades.. and then, got a Rohloff hub IGH bike. next.

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-21-17 at 09:44 PM.
Old 03-21-17, 10:01 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,834 Times in 2,293 Posts
There was a period of 9 speed Shimano bar end levers with a problem. An internal part would push out of the "pod" and the outer "cover" would be cracked. The indexing would mess up and friction was the limp home mode. I saw a handful of these and heard of Shimano (or the seller) replace them under warranty. One could see the cover failing and the spring like internal part trying to get out. Andy
Old 03-22-17, 08:11 AM
Rubato

Bikes: 91 Trek franken '81 Schwinn Voyager

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coupster
I've got 10 spd Microshift barends on an otherwise complete 105 compact crank drivetrain and they work just fine
Thank you.
Old 03-22-17, 09:33 AM
skimaxpower

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take them apart, clean, and lube.

If they don't improve, replace them. 9-speed bar end shifters are inexpensive.
Old 03-22-17, 02:41 PM
coominya

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad Giant talon

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Yes, pull them apart, but slowly, and drip a bit of oil on any moving parts you see inside and give them a wriggle. I just rebuilt an old shimano 3-speed v-brake unit that wasn't shifting into 3rd. I basically stripped it right down before I discovered the issue was a tiny spring-loaded pawl that must swing freely. It was jammed on it's shaft due to lack of lubricant and I could have repaired the unit in 10 minutes if I had known that. As it was it took hours to get it all back together with the various springs.

As usual I forgot to take photos so getting the springs back on the appropriate holds was hampered until I had the bright idea of pulling the caps off another one I had nearby.

All in all I thoroughly enjoyed the experience, even with the cock-ups. Nothing like fixing something yourself and learning a few tricks for future reference. Of course I had done my usual trick and ordered a pair of new ones out of England that had come off a parted bike. You can never have enough good retro parts for the bikes you love IMO

I did take a photo of the other one though lol.

Old 03-22-17, 03:40 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Unfortunately we have become a throw away society. Most mechanical thing should be made to be repaired.
Old 03-23-17, 04:40 AM
tarwheel 

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Unfortunately we have become a throw away society. Most mechanical thing should be made to be repaired.
It is rather ridiculous that Shimano can't design a shifter that can be rebuilt. I should have said won't rather than can't, because Campy has designed their shifters to be rebuildable. However, I guess that's part of Shimano's business plan. I also have a set of Dia-Compe bar-end shifters that can be repaired, but they are friction only and I like indexed shifting better.
Old 03-23-17, 07:29 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
There was a period of 9 speed Shimano bar end levers with a problem. An internal part would push out of the "pod" and the outer "cover" would be cracked. The indexing would mess up and friction was the limp home mode. I saw a handful of these and heard of Shimano (or the seller) replace them under warranty. One could see the cover failing and the spring like internal part trying to get out. Andy
Interesting bit of information. I have used Shimano 8-speed barend levers and 10-speed barend levers and both seem indestructible. I'm glad to have missed the one weak one.

To confirm another point, Microshift downtube and barend levers are fully compatible with Shimano derailleurs and cassettes of matching speeds and they work very well.
Old 03-24-17, 10:35 AM
hartsu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
My Dura-Ace SL-BS77 lever broke down after a month of use. Indexing ring (?) split into two parts.
CRC sent a new one under warranty.

Last edited by hartsu; 03-24-17 at 10:44 AM.