Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

2018 - Your Touring Plans = Where Are You Going?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

2018 - Your Touring Plans = Where Are You Going?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-18, 06:42 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
I think you could go as early as beginning of April. The first part from Pittsburgh to Cumberland has campsites every 50 miles or so and CC touring placess as well.

The second part from Cumberland to Washington DC seems to have a plethora of campsites and plenty of CC tour establishments.

There are apps for both parts right from the organizations that care for the trail with most up to date information.

Originally Posted by hhk25
Curious about this trail. What's the earliest you could do this? Not worried about cold temps but don't like riding on ice and snow or getting caught in snowstorms.

Is it camping friendly or more of a credit card tour?
Old 02-27-18, 12:32 PM
dancier

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus
I think you could go as early as beginning of April. The first part from Pittsburgh to Cumberland has campsites every 50 miles or so and CC touring placess as well.

The second part from Cumberland to Washington DC seems to have a plethora of campsites and plenty of CC tour establishments.

There are apps for both parts right from the organizations that care for the trail with most up to date information.
I went through that section in May 2016 and it was very wet, but mostly had the campsites too myself. I went from Cleveland to DC, some road, the Erie/Ohio was hard packed, the Panhandle was muddy, the GAP was hard packed, the C&O muddy, so decided to jump onto the W&OD and then back onto the C&O at the end.
Old 02-27-18, 04:43 PM
antokelly

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
nowhere i'm sticking to my day rides 30 to 60 miles im in ireland .if i get a good summer i'll be a happy bunny.
i want to stick close to home bad back stops me from multi days in the saddle.mind you i'll hold on to all my gear it's quality stuff just in case a miracle happens you never know.
Old 02-27-18, 06:49 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4408 Post(s)
Liked 4,521 Times in 3,023 Posts
Originally Posted by dancier
I went through that section in May 2016 and it was very wet, but mostly had the campsites too myself. I went from Cleveland to DC, some road, the Erie/Ohio was hard packed, the Panhandle was muddy, the GAP was hard packed, the C&O muddy, so decided to jump onto the W&OD and then back onto the C&O at the end.
Did the GAP C&O in late June 2017 the GAP was dry but the beginning of the C&O was a little muddy but not bad. It was an awesome ride that I will definitely do again in the future.
Old 02-27-18, 09:46 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Mid-Atlantic can have rainy stretches from Feb to June, basically luck if paths will be dry. Spring has turned quite warm, this March might be fairly comfortable on C&O and/or GAP.
Old 02-28-18, 08:32 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1922 Post(s)
Liked 635 Times in 434 Posts
Cycling the circumference of Taiwan summer.
Old 03-01-18, 12:31 PM
craigeckhoff

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I plan on a 1600+ mile tour. Corpus Christi TX to Duluth MN. This spring. Divided into 3 segments of 600 or so miles. Plan on 30 to 40 miles per day, maybe every other day off between. Or longer mileage days as needed. I am 68 years old by the way. This fall maybe Duluth to the west coast 2000 miles and then south to Cal. 2000 more. Depended if I am still alive and my leg joints don't bother me too much.
Old 03-02-18, 04:09 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
Cycling the circumference of Taiwan summer.
Give our kind regards to Hualien. We spent a bit of time based there, and I was quite upset to see it had been hit by a bad earthquake late last month.

When we planned our riding there, we were advised to avoid the west coast because it is so heavily industrialised and populated. We caught a train from the airport to the East Coast and were happy with what we saw in our limited amount of time there.

Amazing sea and mountain environments side-by-side, and an incredible highway down the coast that was occupied by the hugely busy traffic count of about... 50 vehicles an hour. At least when we were there in 2012.
Old 03-02-18, 08:33 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by BBassett
and especially don't need to put your bike on a plane to start a tour.
When I want to start a domestic tour far away from home I ship my bike using Bikeflights.com. Much cheaper.

While I do some short trips from my house, I like starting somewhere and riding home. My first tour was from Seattle to my house in Philly, and I have taken three tours across PA, each time renting a car one way and riding home. Also rode home from VT and am planning to do that again in June. I get more and more excited the closer I get to home. When I reach my usual stomping grounds I am amped and often see people I know on the roads/trails. On the last day of my Erie-Philly tour last September I was absolutely flying as I was trying to make it to my local hangout to see the second half of the Eagles-Giants game.
Old 03-03-18, 10:46 AM
bikefriday

Bikes: 1989 Specialized Allez Pro, 2007 Specialized S Works E5, 2009 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Hoping to do a ride from end to end on the Trail of the Coeur D'Alenes (hope I spelled that correctly), and another ride from our home to the ferry terminal, tour Vancouver Island, then down into Washington State, then home again via a different route. That'll be our first tour ever by bicycle (tandem)...so it's scary, and yet exciting!
Old 03-03-18, 07:40 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by bikefriday
Hoping to do a ride from end to end on the Trail of the Coeur D'Alenes (hope I spelled that correctly), and another ride from our home to the ferry terminal, tour Vancouver Island, then down into Washington State, then home again via a different route. That'll be our first tour ever by bicycle (tandem)...so it's scary, and yet exciting!

You've chosen a beautiful route! But there's a good chance it will be hilly so practice riding that tandem up hills with the load you're travelling with on board.
Old 03-08-18, 01:58 PM
Dark Arrow

Bikes: Vivente Patagonia, Giant Expedition, Raleigh Twenty, Brompton

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Bought the tickets for Norway yesterday. After heaps of work by our travel agent we were able to negotiate our bikes all the way to and from Trom$o in July.
Like dancier said getting out of Oz is pricey. Arrgghhh

Bear
Old 03-08-18, 03:02 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by bikefriday
Hoping to do a ride from end to end on the Trail of the Coeur D'Alenes (hope I spelled that correctly)
And then what? There is nothing in Mullan at the east end. There is stuff (including a brewery/restaurant/campground) in the Wallace, which is the town about 7 miles west of Mullan. The Wallace to Mullan stretch is not that interesting, and it's up hill that direction. If you will have auto transportation, you might want to consider taking a day to ride the Route of the Hiawatha as well. Unfortunately, there is no shuttle from between Lookout Pass, which is at I-90 on the border between ID and MT.
Old 03-08-18, 03:57 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 176 Posts
Planning a short six day trip from Austin to near Houston
- 350 miles round trip.
- Three nights in TX State Parks and two hotel nights where parks are either not available or fully booked on a Saturday night.
- Departing at end of next week

It has taken a bit to get this into my habits, but prime cycling season in central TX is *not* the long daylight hour summer months that I was accustomed to in CO or OR.March/April and October/November are probably peak, but I also find December to February preferable to May to September.

So this one is an easier short ride in the area since I'm feeling "tentsick" (like homesick but instead missing my tent) after coming back from my long tour last year.
Old 03-13-18, 05:42 PM
5kdad

Bikes: Felt Z100 road bike, Schwinn Frontier, Salsa Marrakesh, box-store tandem, and Sun Recumbent trike.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've never toured much by myself, so planning a 2 week or so loop from my home in NW Arkansas, solo. Considering, making a loop down through central Arkansas, then looping back through southern Missouri. Might ride the ACA TransAm route in southern MO, or Katy Trail, not decided yet.
Old 03-13-18, 07:41 PM
hartmame

Bikes: 95' Kona Kula, built up 11' Surly LHT frame...

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
After not doing a ride last year, I've decided to try to kick things up a notch. I've realized at 52 I might not get the chance to ride across the Northern Tier route all in one summer in my life time. In an effort to seize the day I'm trying to get at least a month off work and ride from Portland, Maine to...Niagra Falls and then down to Pittsburgh and finishing up in Columbus Ohio. I, of course, can't ride a preplanned route. I'm making my own route to which I've planned most of the first two weeks.
Old 03-13-18, 09:17 PM
alias5000

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Streetmachine GTE, 2015 Devinci Silverstone SL4, 2012 Cannondale Road Tandem 2, Circe Morpheus, 2021 Rose Backroad, 2017 Devinci Hatchet

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by hartmame
...Niagra Falls
The Canadian Niagara Region has some decent wineries, just stay away from the big ones. They're tourist traps.
Old 03-13-18, 11:04 PM
boomhauer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
. I, of course, can't ride a preplanned route. I'm making my own route to which I've planned most of the first two weeks.
I agree with this. Plans change mid course. Why get too detailed? Sounds like a great trip! Carpe diem!
Old 03-13-18, 11:23 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
After not doing a ride last year, I've decided to try to kick things up a notch. I've realized at 52 I might not get the chance to ride across the Northern Tier route all in one summer in my life time. In an effort to seize the day I'm trying to get at least a month off work and ride from Portland, Maine to...Niagra Falls and then down to Pittsburgh and finishing up in Columbus Ohio. I, of course, can't ride a preplanned route. I'm making my own route to which I've planned most of the first two weeks.
That is what I did for a trans Canada desire I had. Rather than put it off hoping for the time away some day in the future I chopped it in two and did western Canada two years ago. Next summer I plan to either do the eastern part for sure or perhaps the whole thing if I can swing it.
Old 03-14-18, 10:42 AM
hartmame

Bikes: 95' Kona Kula, built up 11' Surly LHT frame...

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I can't see regretting any bike tour and if I get a chance to do a multi month tour sometime in the future I think I'll be able to find another inspirational route.
Old 03-21-18, 12:44 AM
OneOldSeaDog

Bikes: Trek Domane 6.2

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike the US for MS Southern Tier

Once again I will be riding to raise money for MS. This years it will be the Southern Tier from San Diego to St Augustine starting September 6 and lasting 52 days.
Old 03-23-18, 08:45 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by LuckySailor
In July/August, riding from Vancouver to Tuktoyuktuk, slightly north of the Arctic Circle and on the shores of the Arctic Ocean. The Dempster Highway was recently finished and it's a gravel ride the last 500 miles.
Just saw this, and it sounds really interesting. 🙂 I've been up to Alaska before, but only around Anchorage & Dutch Harbor, by plane, for commercial fishing purposes. But what little I saw was beautiful country. 👍
I'm sure it's challenging, but after a Winter in Colorado, I feel "somewhat" more ready for something like that. 🤔😁
Old 03-23-18, 09:57 AM
CanadaWriter

Bikes: Dahon Boardwalk D8

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm based in Bucharest right now. So at the end of June, a buddy and I will bike to the Serbian border, then snake our way down to Montenegro, tour a bit through the mountains, then head into Albania where the plan is fairly loose. Gotta get some Mediterranean beach time but that's about the only solid plan. Going to head over to Corfu to catch a plane back -- that part of the trip is already booked. Our estimates put it at 35 days at about 1650km.
Old 04-09-18, 10:25 PM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 86 Posts
Elroy sparta

Any one done the Elroy/Sparta trail looking forward to trying that . that would be a first for me and then would like to do a extended tour.. Heard about Missisipii river trail would like to do a credit card tour that is not to expensive , any suggestions. I M coming from a long time off the bike.. Have been doing only a few bike rides each summer.. Seems like you get lazy in Wisconsin over the winter..or is it just me?
Old 04-10-18, 08:51 AM
indyfabz

Spring weather is finally going to arrive later this week. Heading out for a three-day trip to the NJ Pinelands on Friday. Saturday I will likely take a day ride to the Cape May County Zoo. Sunday I will ride to the coast at Ocean City and then north to Atlantic City to catch the train back to Philly. Looking forward to sleeping in a tent and reading by a campfire.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.