Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Ketogenic "Keto" Diet?

Old 01-24-18, 07:09 AM
dkyser

Bikes: 19 Gunnar Hyper-X Ultegra Disk, 17 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Ketogenic "Keto" Diet?

I have been doing Keto for months and losing weight, surprisingly after a short time I was able to continue to gain strength lifting and still doing good at cardio.
I am not doing super high fat, I am keeping protein above fat, and my calories at 1800. I am also doing IF 16/8 most days and 24 hour fast 1 or 2 days a week.
I was once 420 lbs, now 290 and this WOE works for me although inconvenient at times when eating out. I have however finally completely cut sugar, have not had a chip or sugar snack in 4 months.

My question is now that cycling season is here does anyone else here do Keto?
Old 01-24-18, 12:23 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Congrats, that's a huge weight change!
Old 01-24-18, 04:28 PM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
I've been doing Keto for 3 years and I found I can eat less on endurance rides than my carb burning friends. Too much protein will turn into glucose. I eat 75% of my calories from healthy fat, 20% protein, and 5% from carbs.
Old 01-24-18, 07:29 PM
dkyser

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Congrats, that's a huge weight change!
Thanks, has been a journey for sure. I am loving how good I feel. I know I get full fast and at times struggle to get my protein.
If I hit my protein I don't worry about calories being low. I know calories sneak in our diets in many ways.

I get my fats from meats mostly. I just make sure I do not go over my protein grams (135) in fat grams.
Old 01-25-18, 07:48 AM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dkyser
My question is now that cycling season is here does anyone else here do Keto?
Congrats on the weight loss. I did something similar. Started at 405, at 268 today.

When I started Keto, riding the bike REALLY sucked initially, but within a few months, I was back to my previous cycling strength. Last summer, I beat my PR on a 100k while on Keto.

But that said, I think too much cycling is detrimental to weight loss. It stimulates cortisol and just drives up hunger ultimately. Personally, in order to facilitate more weight loss, I've been reducing the duration and intensity of my rides and putting the intense work in at the gym in short bursts by way of HIIT. That way my rides are just for pure enjoyment, not "werk" and the hard stuff is at the gym.
Old 01-27-18, 04:13 AM
youcoming

Bikes: ParleeZ5/Parlee Chebacco/Trek Farley/Cannondale Slice/Burley Tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
I'm interested in finding out how Keto will work for me this summer while doing big rides. So far I have upped my FTP while on Keto and have lost almost 20 pounds. I have read some research indicating that carbs while riding are burned as fuel immediately so will not affect Ketosis. I did a 60km ride today and after 1.5 hours of riding I ate five dates and a banana, I had tested my Ketones before the ride and after and there was no real change.
Old 01-27-18, 07:55 AM
bigbiker1

Bikes: 2013 All City Mr. Pink, 2016 Jamis DXT Comp

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started Keto the day after Thanksgiving and I am down 35lbs so far. The only experience I have riding was the first week i started keto and that was rough lol. I don't expect to have any issue when I can finally start riding again in a month or two when it gets warm enough.

Be careful on cutting your fat, it supposed to be higher than the protein because that is your fuel now. I know it goes against what has been pounded into our heads our whole lives buts you really should use a calculator and stick to close to the fat amount it gives you, especially when you are no longer trying to lose and want to maintain. Also fat is what keeps you full for so much longer than carbs/protein.
Old 01-30-18, 05:36 AM
dkyser

One thing Keto has allowed me to do is Fast, I IF almost every day 18/6 and do a couple 24 hour fasts each week. Its how I am able to enjoy foods I love and still keep in a calorie deficit.
Old 02-11-18, 07:50 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,119 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by dkyser
One thing Keto has allowed me to do is Fast, I IF almost every day 18/6 and do a couple 24 hour fasts each week. Its how I am able to enjoy foods I love and still keep in a calorie deficit.
Yep- Yesterday for me, i started the day with an avacado with some salt and pepper and a small side of leftover spicy ground beef.

I had to force myself to eat later on at a church event , -- 8 hours later i just didnt feel that hungry even though my caloric intake was small -- the fat from the avacado satiated me all day almost
Old 03-03-18, 07:59 PM
Flanntastic

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I lost 100lbs on keto, in the three years since i have gained back 25lbs as I haven't been as vigilente
Old 03-04-18, 05:45 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbiker1
I started Keto the day after Thanksgiving and I am down 35lbs so far. The only experience I have riding was the first week i started keto and that was rough lol. I don't expect to have any issue when I can finally start riding again in a month or two when it gets warm enough.

Be careful on cutting your fat, it supposed to be higher than the protein because that is your fuel now. I know it goes against what has been pounded into our heads our whole lives buts you really should use a calculator and stick to close to the fat amount it gives you, especially when you are no longer trying to lose and want to maintain. Also fat is what keeps you full for so much longer than carbs/protein.
How is the diet going so far?
Old 03-06-18, 02:37 PM
Jarrett2

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
How is the diet going so far?
21 lbs down this year on the keto diet so far.
Old 03-08-18, 10:09 AM
Jarrett2

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
22 today
Old 03-12-18, 03:56 AM
Turzy

Bikes: Kona Lana'i, Cannondale CAADX Disk

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
so, I started keto last saturday, so just over a week ago, and I haven't felt that keto flu, yet I've lost a nice amount of weight in that first week (10 lbs), which is mostly water weight I assume.
Is it possibleto to not go through the keto flu? anyone else in the same situation?
I happen to drink a lot of water too, which seems to help with the symptoms, and I also upped my sodium intake.
Old 03-12-18, 02:12 PM
Jarrett2

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Turzy
so, I started keto last saturday, so just over a week ago, and I haven't felt that keto flu, yet I've lost a nice amount of weight in that first week (10 lbs), which is mostly water weight I assume.
Is it possibleto to not go through the keto flu? anyone else in the same situation?
I happen to drink a lot of water too, which seems to help with the symptoms, and I also upped my sodium intake.
Some people don't get it. I did, my GF did not.

Have you gone for a hard bike ride since your started? That's when it really kicked in for me. Guess I had a little sugar still hiding in there that needed to be burned out.
Old 03-12-18, 02:24 PM
Turzy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarrett2
Some people don't get it. I did, my GF did not.

Have you gone for a hard bike ride since your started? That's when it really kicked in for me. Guess I had a little sugar still hiding in there that needed to be burned out.
No, I haven't, actually, I haven't ridden a bike since...early february or so...
My sleep has improved, my mood has also improved, and I have more energy throughout the day, and it's only been 9 days.
Old 03-14-18, 03:27 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Cutting out sugar and carbs really helped me a couple years ago. I went from 280 to 230 just by doing that. I still want to get down to about 225-220 or so, or even down to 200 if I can, but it's been hard to get much lower. And then last fall when the temperature dropped I stopped riding for a while, then the holidays with all their special sweet treats came around, and I put on 10 lbs which I am fighting to get back off. Mainly focusing on doing high fat/low carb, and it's working again.
Old 03-19-18, 01:40 PM
munkeyfish 

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Crosstrails Disc XL Frame. 2021 Trek Verve 2 Step Through XL frame.

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Where are you guys following the diet from? What site, book? Resources?

Thanks
Old 03-21-18, 09:36 AM
Turzy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you can google "the real meal revolution"; they have lists of food you can download.
diet doctor also has some good info
books...well I have onethat's pretty good IMO, but it's in french...
Old 03-21-18, 04:33 PM
bigbiker1

Bikes: 2013 All City Mr. Pink, 2016 Jamis DXT Comp

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is the best resource I have found:

https://www.******.com/r/keto/

Not sure why it hides r e d d i t
Old 03-23-18, 08:23 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
If you're trying to lose weight focus mostly on your diet. Keto doesn't lend well to aerobic training. Also, consider giving yourself a treat (for great work) once in a while.
Old 03-26-18, 02:17 PM
robpiat

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been losing weight for the better part of two years at this point. Started pretty fast and slowed down. I needed to find a set of foods that I could sustain, not a "diet". Eating a high protein / fat diet suited me best.

I don't like to call it cheating but I still eat whatever I want periodically. I don't think I even was really in full blown keto and didn't care.

It comes down to calories. There is no games. So from my perspective, if I am going to eat 1500 calories a day, what will give me energy, suppress my appetite, and make me happiest.

I have found that certain foods tend to satify the hunger in smaller quantities. Peanut butter is a good example. I eat ****loads of back. Probably 2-3 Lbs a week.

Pretty much my diet is a list of items that dieteicans choose to avoid.

One thing I learned early on is to avoid exercise when you are trying to lose weight fast. It makes you very hungry and you tend to negotiate with your self.

Here is a rough history of what I did and what I eat

Lunch meat (Usually boars head chipotle chicken) with low carb wraps and cheese
carbmaster or other low sugar high protein yogurt
fairlife or carbmaster milh with protein powder
jif whipped peanut butter
bacon!
pickles
peanuts occassionally
beef jerky
other meats in moderation
cheese in moderation
microwaved crispy pepperoni

I pretty much avoid sugars, breads, pasta etc. Every now and then I will eat some waffle house or a cheeseburger and fries.

I started out dieting and exercising and it was miserable back and forth. I stopped exercising, was pretty rigid on the diet, and lost the first 30-40 lbs in 6 months. Over the past 18 months I have slowly lost another 35 lbs which strenuously exercising and eating a little more than I did the first 6 months. No matter how much I exercise, I don't think I'll ever be able to eat a "normal" diet and eating at restaurants 4 or 5 days a week. People greatly overestimate how much food is the right amount of food based on what their body is telling them and what ia "normal" restaurant servings. I've gone a couple of years with no set backs and fully acclimated to doing it this way. Aside from a major life event, I can't see anything setting me back as I think I have found some balance.

My blood work was pretty good when I started but now falls into the exceptional category for cholesterol, BP, etc. Doctor thinks I am a lunatic but tells me to keep on doing it.

Last edited by robpiat; 03-26-18 at 02:20 PM.
Old 03-29-18, 12:17 PM
Turzy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
anyone doing keto ever suffered of headache after eating sugar ? (ie: birthday cake...)
happened to me over the week end, thought it might be because I had been doing keto for close to a month?
Old 03-29-18, 06:45 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
anyone doing keto ever suffered of headache after eating sugar ? (ie: birthday cake...)
happened to me over the week end, thought it might be because I had been doing keto for close to a month?
Hyperglycemia (High Blood Sugar)

Early signs include:
  • Increased thirst.
  • Headaches.
  • Trouble concentrating.
  • Blurred vision.
  • Frequent peeing.
  • Fatigue (weak, tired feeling)
  • Weight loss.
  • Blood sugar more than 180 mg/dL.
Old 04-03-18, 01:02 PM
Jarrett2

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A huge intake of sugar will have weird effects once you break the addiction. The keto diet is a little different than other diets because cheat days aren't rewarding. When you decide to fall off the wagon and go crazy on the carbs, you usually have a less positive experience than you're hoping for. Seems to be different for everyone.

But the positives outweigh the negatives for me. I went on a road trip this past weekend and stayed on plan. I did a 46 mile ride with a lot of climbing, then came back in the afternoon and did a 6 mile hike with a ton of climbing. Got up the next morning and did 25 more miles on the bike, followed by another 3 mile walk. All on low carb intake.

When I was sugar burning, I would have needed to eat glucose gel packs to do that much activity over two days, but now that I'm fat adapted, I don't need excessive amounts of carbs to do that level of aerobic activity anymore. My energy stays consistent throughout. Much preferred the the ups and downs of the old sugar cycle.

Last edited by Jarrett2; 04-03-18 at 01:10 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.