Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Drilling holes for internal brake cable mod

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Drilling holes for internal brake cable mod

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-18, 10:27 PM
kraftwerk 
my nice bike is at home

Bikes: 2011 BMC Race Machine / 2012 BMC Road Machine / Trek 2300 / '90's Merlin/ '70's Raleigh 20/ Ti-'swift' folder / Erickson w/S&S couplers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
you crazy bro.. just clamp the stand on the seat post or down tube. Don't go drilling holes. You crazy ...

Old 02-21-18, 07:02 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
You know the disclaimers.

I prefer to drill carbon fibre way more than anything else.
Reason is many/most times it is made with some bladder and the wall thickness varies anyway and it there is lots of extra material built into it. Then, even broken the stuff is tough. An alloy post/part will snap. Steel with bend and CF will crack. Of course enough force and it will snap too, but materials are different and the tolerances are different.
An Extralite (brand) part will hardly ever be modified. It is already perfect. A CF bar I have no issues drilling, but I understand where the stress points are.

Anyway - your bike is on a trainer. Drill. If you do not know where it is safe to drill, don't. But I think you are fine. Alloy will have tighter tolerances and you do want to be careful.

For example - for a cable - I'd drill in the side toward the middle of the head tube. Not a lot is going on there. If the welds are huge, maybe a weld. If they are finely filed -not a weld. If in the TT...careful. A butted tube in the butt/thicker section farther from the weld would be preferred over the thin area. Since alloy is typically not butted, an inc from the weld is good.
You might feel this with the fork / seat post out.
Are you an old oil man? Drill, baby drill.
Old 02-21-18, 10:24 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
Are you an old oil man? Drill, baby drill.
I married one (not a man, a woman).
I got into cycling when drilling was popular. It was also crazy.
I was working where I had a machine shop and drill presses. That makes things a lot cleaner than free-hand. I am not free hand, and I drill for practicality - sometimes I miss. Nothing like 70s/80s, but done in the right places, I don't think it is a problem, most parts have some material they can give up.
Old 02-21-18, 11:52 AM
Doge

The biggest issue with this is when/if other people touch your stuff - or you forget.
Mechanics are expecting standard and if it is not obvious, they will help break things for you.
Old 02-21-18, 12:45 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
I married one (not a man, a woman).
I got into cycling when drilling was popular. It was also crazy.
I was working where I had a machine shop and drill presses. That makes things a lot cleaner than free-hand. I am not free hand, and I drill for practicality - sometimes I miss. Nothing like 70s/80s, but done in the right places, I don't think it is a problem, most parts have some material they can give up.
Now I remember. You are a machinist extraordinaire. We talked about that some time back. Makes sense you would have little problem putting precision holes in a frame, even on angles to the surface if frame was adequately fixtured.
Old 02-21-18, 01:05 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by Campag4life
Now I remember. You are a machinist extraordinaire. We talked about that some time back. Makes sense you would have little problem putting precision holes in a frame, even on angles to the surface if frame was adequately fixtured.
Not that. But I have cut myself on a mill and know what machine oil smells like.