Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Mismatched panniers, anyone?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-18, 11:01 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts

In another cheapskate buy, I snatched up an Ortlieb handlebar bag on coseout for $60. I wanted one with a common mount I can equip all my bikes with, to replace my black (matches everything) Blackburn with a proprietary mount that is a PITA to move from bike to bike. In exchange with getting it nearly half off retail, I get to deal with a wonderful denim blue color

I'm now left with orange panniers on the back (also bought on closeout), red on the front (hand me downs), and the blue handlebar bag. Generally when I see people posting pics of bikes, the panniers have at least a semblance of commonality. Do such things matter to you, and if so was it a willful move that may have cost you more to keep colors the same, or was it something simpler like they were all ordered as a set?
Old 06-25-18, 11:06 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Mismatched panniers would bug me, but that's just me. (I'm also anal about my socks going with my jersey and my "kit" looking o.k. with the panniers.) My panniers have always matched because the two sets I have ever owned were bought as sets. If I used a handlebar bag I don't think it would bother me if it were a different color than my panniers as long as it wasn't ugly and did not clash with the panniers.
Old 06-25-18, 11:24 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
As long as they work, I wouldn't mind a bit. It is nice when everything matches, but a deal is a deal, and function trumps form.
Old 06-25-18, 11:31 AM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
I admit that I do use mismatched panniers, and it doesn't bother me a bit.

I've often got some orangey-red Ortlieb rear panniers and a pair of Arkel front panniers which are a different red that almost clashes with the Ortliebs. I don't give it a second thought as both products are very well made and incredibly functional and that's my priority.
Old 06-25-18, 11:38 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
on my last tour I almost wished I had panniers of different color to remember which pannier was with camping stuff and which pannier with clothing and which with food and ... etc ... I would almost alway open the wrong pannier first when I was looking for something :-)
Old 06-25-18, 11:39 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 100 Posts
Too bad there aren't any white panniers that you could put on the rear instead of the orange ones, then you'd be all set for the Fourth of July.
Old 06-25-18, 11:46 AM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by ironwood
Too bad there aren't any white panniers that you could put on the rear instead of the orange ones, then you'd be all set for the Fourth of July.
Ortlieb has sold white rear panniers since at least 2011:

https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting...-panniers.html

https://www.modernbike.com/ortlieb-b...ir-white-black
Old 06-25-18, 11:48 AM
jefnvk

Glad to see I'm not the only one! The orange and red actually worked well on my Iceland bike, which was orange and red, and the biggest justification for the blue being OK is it actually complements the bike it'll normally reside on. These three are going on a forest green bike this time, which clashes even more The only saving grace is I may not bother with front panniers this go around, reducing one color!

Originally Posted by ironwood

It'd also be perfect for Bastille Day in France, coincidentally the day I land!
Old 06-25-18, 12:00 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Let's see, black, green canvas, tan canvas, blue, white tyvek. Yup all match. And a grey one for the bar bag.
Old 06-25-18, 01:26 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
The handlebar bag that I usually use for touring has green side pockets, some black and some white. Use that with my yellow Ortlieb panniers.

Your mix of colors might make it a bit more theft proof. I usually think that thieves are opportunists and I assume their eyes are drawn to something that looks nice. That is why I never clean my bike on a tour. I assume something that looks less attractive is more theft proof.

If you have enough steerer tube to fit a second stem, you might want to consider that as an option for your new bar bag. It lowers the bag and brings it a bit closer to the steering axis if you use a really short stem. But it since you take a smaller size frame than I do, your bars are closer to your wheel than mine so I am not sure if it would be as much of an advantage for you as for me. Some photos of some of my bikes showing the second stem at this link:
https://www.bikeforums.net/19930025-post28.html
Old 06-25-18, 01:35 PM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus
on my last tour I almost wished I had panniers of different color to remember which pannier was with camping stuff and which pannier with clothing and which with food and ... etc ... I would almost alway open the wrong pannier first when I was looking for something :-)
I was actually considering this when I was shopping for my panniers. Then I ended up having to buy a new set in a hurry, so I bought the set that was in stock at my LBS and didn't get to follow through with the multi-color plan.
Old 06-25-18, 03:31 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 95 Posts
I actually would love five different Ortlieb bags of different colors! Maybe Orange, yellow, red, green, and blue.
Old 06-25-18, 06:00 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
What, you worry about the fronts matching the rears? I can't even make both rears match. 😋 They used to match, until one fell off & took major damage. I kept using it, but within a week, I found a like new one (different brand and color), for $4, so decided I didn't care if they matched. 😁
Old 06-25-18, 06:28 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by Aubergine
I actually would love five different Ortlieb bags of different colors! Maybe Orange, yellow, red, green, and blue.
You have to get them in the right order to look like a rainbow. Like red, orange, yellow, green and blue.
Old 06-25-18, 06:32 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Yup mismatched bags. Helps me remember where I put what. Granted part of it was a fluke of sales pricing.

Doesn't bother me....except for Blackburn bag mounts are a PITA compared to Ortlieb.
Old 06-25-18, 06:55 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked 1,439 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Glad to see I'm not the only one! The orange and red actually worked well on my Iceland bike, which was orange and red, and the biggest justification for the blue being OK is it actually complements the bike it'll normally reside on. These three are going on a forest green bike this time, which clashes even more The only saving grace is I may not bother with front panniers this go around, reducing one color!

It'd also be perfect for Bastille Day in France, coincidentally the day I land!
I gotta ask: What color is your bar tape/handlebar grips, and what's the saddle color?

FWIW: Blue/green panniers and a DIY yellow handlebar bag (made it from a 'fugly' insulated cordura lunch bag my employer was trying to give out as a promo item - it failed miserably!). Bar tape is red/black splash tape or Blue/black splash.Saddle is black.

Last edited by skidder; 06-25-18 at 06:59 PM.
Old 06-25-18, 08:21 PM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by skidder
I gotta ask: What color is your bar tape/handlebar grips, and what's the saddle color?
Fairly boring (cheap?) In that regard. Black tape, slightly different shades of brownish-black vintage Avocet Touring saddles on everything. The only splash is instead of using black electric tape to tie it off, I use a splash of colored hockey friction tape.

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Yup mismatched bags. Helps me remember where I put what. Granted part of it was a fluke of sales pricing.
Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus
I guess if you take it a step further and mismatch right-left, its not a half bad idea!

Doesn't bother me....except for Blackburn bag mounts are a PITA compared to Ortlieb.
Haven't used Blackburn panniers, but their handlebar mount works well. Just can't buy additional mounts :/. My front panniers are old Schwinns from the late 70s/80s, theyre just hook and bungee hook, which I retrofitted a locking hook to. Work good for tools and spares and cooking stuff and pther stuff that can get moist.
Old 06-25-18, 09:18 PM
DanBell

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Doesn't bother me. My original panniers were black front rollers, then I bought red rear panniers because I felt like it, then when those disintegrated I bought blue rear ones, and somewhere in there I purchased a red handlebar bag. Honestly I'd be happy to have a rainbow set. I thought about trying to find three other people interested in the same thing willing to do a group order from Wayne at the touring store, and having him mix up the four colors of the bags for each person before shipping.
Old 06-26-18, 06:32 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
ok. so does anyone have a blue ortlieb backpacker plus to swap with a green backpacker plus? :-) (rear panniers)

same with blue sport packer plus to swap with a green sport packer plus ? (front panniers)
Old 06-26-18, 08:44 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
...I'm now left with orange panniers on the back (also bought on closeout), red on the front (hand me downs), and the blue handlebar bag. .....
buy a couple meters of waterproof material and some elastic band, spend an evening making a set of matching rain covers.
Old 06-26-18, 09:49 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Do such things matter to you,?
no but as offered before ...when I got my 4 same color panniers (Beckman)
they each got a different color zipper pull tab.
Old 06-26-18, 09:58 AM
DanBell

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
no but as offered before ...when I got my 4 same color panniers (Beckman)
they each got a different color zipper pull tab.
That's a clever idea.
Old 06-26-18, 11:09 AM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by saddlesores
buy a couple meters of waterproof material and some elastic band, spend an evening making a set of matching rain covers.
Well, that pretty much makes the whole point of buying waterproof Ortliebs pointless
Old 06-26-18, 11:20 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Well, that pretty much makes the whole point of buying waterproof Ortliebs pointless
not true! matching raincovers provide suchly benefits:

1. onlookers will assume the underlying bags also match.

2. your expensive ortliebs won't suffer from uv fade.

4. your bags will stay clean and shiny.

3. your mild OCD will stay in remission.
Old 06-26-18, 11:28 AM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by saddlesores
not true! matching raincovers provide suchly benefits:
Well, all good point. Minus the OCD, the way I live my life would downright kill someone with even mild OCD!

If I were OCD though, I'd probably just accent my bar tape to match the panniers, orange back by the bar end shifters, blue up front by the bag. Sadly, I only have orange and pink hockey tape right now, so we can toss that out the window

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.