Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Simplex Super LJ (SLJ) Goodness and Questions...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-18, 06:47 AM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts

Hello folks!

After snagging a set of first generation SLJ derailleurs on Ebay a while back, I patiently waited nearly a month to find a set of first generation retrofriction shifters to match. Courtesy Ebay France, they arrived a couple of weeks ago, and I just found time to put the whole set up together on my 1970 Raleigh Super Course and take it out for a test ride yesterday evening. The bike came with Simplex delrin (plastic) derailleurs and friction shifters, which I simply did not feel like riding based on issues of durability and performance. I put replacement pulleys on the rear derailleur but otherwise everything is simply cleaned up, as it all seemed to be in good working order.

Getting out on the road for just a few miles, I was at first frustrated by how tight the shifting felt on the SLJ, as it seemed to find the next gear on the 5-speed freewheel very quickly with little room for play. It seemed hopeless to find a position where I could get each gear to sit quietly, but after a little bit I was able to rather quickly find the sweet spots for most ratios, with just a tiny nudge on the shifter in one direction or another. When it was quiet it was serene! The front derailleur works like a charm...

Now to the questions!

I stepped off the bike a couple of times to examine things before I started moving swiftly, and realized that the rear derailleur body seems slightly loose to the touch - a rather dainty feeling - but while riding and looking down I could not observe any motion. Is this typical for these derailleurs? I'm used to much more robust older Campy or newer Suntour equipment, and don't recall ever feeling able to flex a derailleur around while it had tension.

The pulleys are also positioned so that the lower one is angled slightly towards the bicycle, keeping tension to the inside but not always allowing the chain to stay perfectly aligned between the two pulleys. Is this normal?

Thanks!

-Gregory

(p.s. I accidentally flipped the front and rear cable housing, so the rear pulled tight under chain tension. I switched them back immediately after the ride and the world makes more sense. The issue is apparent in the photos or I would have tried to hide my mistake!)

Old 08-01-18, 07:10 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,740 Times in 961 Posts
Wow is that a clean ride, great choices.

Can an you take a shot of the rd from rear view, it may give a better angle to view. I think your pulleys should line up on a vertical plane.
Old 08-01-18, 07:26 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 3,338 Times in 2,178 Posts
-----

Congratulations and thanks for posting!

First gen SLJ be a fave of mine as well.

It came on the Raleigh RRA I purchased new in 1974.

At launch, it cost a bit more than the comparable Campag set.

​​​​​​​-----
Old 08-01-18, 07:51 AM
bertinjim 

Bikes: 1970s Alex Singer, 1960s Peugeot PX 10, 1960s Bertin C37, 1973 Carre Bertin C 37, 1972 Carlton Kermesse, 1981 Peugeot PX 14 Super Competition

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 157 Posts
Kilroy1988-

A couple of things re: rear derailleur. 1. A little more loop to the cable housing run; 2. The cable fixing bolt should show to the front, not be in the back as shown. The gruppo looks great with the SC.
Old 08-01-18, 07:59 AM
Kilroy1988 

Originally Posted by bertinjim
Kilroy1988-

A couple of things re: rear derailleur. 1. A little more loop to the cable housing run; 2. The cable fixing bolt should show to the front, not be in the back as shown. The gruppo looks great with the SC.
Thanks. I addessed the first issue with my postscript. I accidentally reversed the cables for front and rear derailleur and corrected it after the ride.

I'll flip the cable bolt tonight, easy enough!

As far as the play in the rear derailleur body and the angle of the pulleys go, I think it comes down to the rivets in the body being somewhat loose. Part of the keyed piece that holds the cable bolt in on the opposite side seems to be missing, but I think that's not the whole story. Perhaps I just have a rather tired derailleur? That's too bad, as it wasn't really inexpensive...

I might ride it for a while and then look for a replacement. I don't think I can peen these rivets tighter, though I might try.

-Gregory

-Gregory
Old 08-01-18, 08:11 AM
bertinjim 

Bikes: 1970s Alex Singer, 1960s Peugeot PX 10, 1960s Bertin C37, 1973 Carre Bertin C 37, 1972 Carlton Kermesse, 1981 Peugeot PX 14 Super Competition

Kilroy1988-

My Simplex has the rotating post with a groove, a chromed washer that pinches the cable and the bolt that anchors everything in place. Are you missing the washer? You can just barely see it peeking out from under the bolt head to the right in the photo. Shot below is my LJ. You might also try putting the chain on the big cog/big ring. The pulley cage should then being at a 45 degree angle. FWIW, there is no lateral play when the derailleur body is torqued from side to side or twisted.

Last edited by bertinjim; 08-01-18 at 08:22 AM.
Old 08-01-18, 08:24 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 404 Posts
Do these post-delrin Simplexes (Simple?), in non-claw installations, attach via a proprietary method or do they bolt up to Campy dropouts, or???

Originally Posted by bertinjim
The cable fixing bolt should show to the front, not be in the back as shown.
Perhaps this is the aero installation.

Old 08-01-18, 08:32 AM
bertinjim 

tiger1964-
(Very nice cars those 260 ci Mark 1s) Yes, they will bolt up to Campy dropouts. That is a Campy dropout you see in the photo. The alloy ones bolt through from the back rather than having a nut attached to protruding threads from the pivot bolt.
Old 08-01-18, 09:22 AM
juvela

-----

In the image of the complete machine it appears crank arm registration may be off by two degrees or so. If wedgebolts are fitted symmetrically, both with head leading in the rotation in this case, then there is likely a difference in the size of their respective cuts. You can withdraw them and file a bit on the one with the lighter cut so that it better matches the other. If you are making use of preowned pins it is a good idea to file the mark made by the earlier installation.

​​​​​​​-----
Old 08-01-18, 10:54 AM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 829 Times in 538 Posts
The SLJ5500 RDs were not known for being "dainty" or fragile. On the contrary, they were quite robust, especially if compared to its French contemporaries like the Huret Jubilee.
I suspect you might be 4ight that the RD might be getting pretty tired from many miles of use.
It should still work OK, as long as you watch those rivets on it and keep it adjusted well. It will just be a little bit lazy and imprecise when you shift....(kinda like a Campy NR RD)
I have at least three of these RDs and they always performed very well on my bikes.....
If it ever does wear out to the point of uselessness, you can always upgrade to the SLJ6600, which shifts twice as well than the 5500....
Old 08-01-18, 11:12 AM
juvela

-----

? for the forum's mavens Heronic -

Gregory reports that subject machine is 1970 model and came fitted with Juy Prestige gear ensemble.

The U.S. market manufacturer's catalogue for that year has it coming through with a Huret Luxe gear ensemble.

This was also specification for the 1971 model year.

The 1968 and 1969 model year catalogues list the Prestige gear set.

Is it possible that both Prestige and Luxe were supplied on 1970 model SC?

[no wish to challenge anyone's information - just wishing to understand]

1970 U.S. market catalogue page -

​​​​​​​-----
Old 08-01-18, 01:27 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by tiger1964
Do these post-delrin Simplexes (Simple?), in non-claw installations, attach via a proprietary method or do they bolt up to Campy dropouts, or???
The Simplex derailleurs differ from most others in that the mounting bolt inserts from the back of the dropout rather than the front, but they do work fine on Campagnolo and other dropouts. The hex socket on the upper pivot is for setting spring tension, not for tightening the mounting bolt. You can cause great damage if you try to use it to tighten the mounting bolt.

Old 08-01-18, 04:01 PM
Kilroy1988 

@Chombi1 Thus far the shifting feels crisp enough, and besides the issue with the angle of the pulleys being slightly askew due to the play in the derailleur body, I can't imagine any ill-effects except in the case of total failure. It still feels perfectly solid as far as everything holding together goes. I can't see anything that could be done to alleviate the play in the body short of disassembling it and trying to put brand new rivets/pins throughout, and if the wear is actually to the body pieces then that might also prove futile.

I'm going to leave it as is.

@bertinjim I have the washer that holds the cable in place, yes. I don't see how that could affect the fact that I can jiggle the body of the derailleur around some, but maybe I missed your point or we're talking about different aspects.

@juvela At least a couple of the components on this Super Course were labeled 1969, but the US catalog specs suggests that the 25.5" frame size was not available until the 1970 model year. That's why I've dated it thusly. I have not bothered to figure it out based on the frame number, because I don't think there's an accurate enough chart available online to narrow that down to a specific year. The fellows on the Carlton of Worksop Facebook page usually suggest that frame serial numbers from that factory can only be narrowed down to about a 3 year interval at best.

I'll just keep on riding and if something breaks or does not perform to my standards, I'll just replace or fix it!

Cheers!

-Gregory
Old 08-01-18, 11:48 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 829 Times in 538 Posts
Originally Posted by Kilroy1988
@Chombi1 Thus far the shifting feels crisp enough, and besides the issue with the angle of the pulleys being slightly askew due to the play in the derailleur body, I can't imagine any ill-effects except in the case of total failure. It still feels perfectly solid as far as everything holding together goes. I can't see anything that could be done to alleviate the play in the body short of disassembling it and trying to put brand new rivets/pins throughout, and if the wear is actually to the body pieces then that might also prove futile.

I'm going to leave it as is.

@bertinjim I have the washer that holds the cable in place, yes. I don't see how that could affect the fact that I can jiggle the body of the derailleur around some, but maybe I missed your point or we're talking about different aspects.

@juvela At least a couple of the components on this Super Course were labeled 1969, but the US catalog specs suggests that the 25.5" frame size was not available until the 1970 model year. That's why I've dated it thusly. I have not bothered to figure it out based on the frame number, because I don't think there's an accurate enough chart available online to narrow that down to a specific year. The fellows on the Carlton of Worksop Facebook page usually suggest that frame serial numbers from that factory can only be narrowed down to about a 3 year interval at best.

I'll just keep on riding and if something breaks or does not perform to my standards, I'll just replace or fix it!

Cheers!

-Gregory
Just keep in mind an RD catastrophic failure, which a failure of the derailleur arm pivot rivets could very well be, usually means it gets eaten up by your rear wheel while you are riding, along with possibly breaking or bending your RD hanger in a really bad way.....and can also, of course, cause you to crash.
Many have been surprised to find out too that this can happen at the lowest riding speeds with the same amount of damage.
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Old 08-02-18, 03:34 AM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
Try a longer, new modern lined low compression cable housing and a new cable.

Otherwise make sure your dropouts are aligned. The soft steel on these stamped dropouts is easily bent out of shape.
Old 08-02-18, 07:45 AM
Kilroy1988 

Originally Posted by Chombi1
Just keep in mind an RD catastrophic failure, which a failure of the derailleur arm pivot rivets could very well be, usually means it gets eaten up by your rear wheel while you are riding, along with possibly breaking or bending your RD hanger in a really bad way.....and can also, of course, cause you to crash.
Many have been surprised to find out too that this can happen at the lowest riding speeds with the same amount of damage.
Oh, I plan to keep an eye on the derailleur for sure! I can only torque the body about 2mm from side to side, and it still feels very solid as far as holding together goes. I was half way joking with my previous quote, because if I ever actually thought the derailleur was in such a state that it might fall apart, I would stop riding it immediately!

@Narhay The cables are brand new and greased, though I used the original housing (and as I mentioned, I had my housings backwards - the longer one is back on the rear). The drop out alignment seems perfectly true as far as my eye can tell - the bike came to me hardly ever ridden in pristine condition.