Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

What is first important to Upgrade?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-18, 05:52 PM
earvinnill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a Foxter Evans 3.0 Bike which is a low budget bike. I'm planning to reduce
it's weight and I already changed the stock fork to epixon fork and I love the result of it.

So should I upgrade the frame or the groupset or the wheelset to lessen it's weight. I only have $400 (converted to dollar) budget
to upgrade my bike. I hope you can answer my question. Thank you!

Update:
These are the specs:Foxter Evans 3.0 Hydraulic Brake Size 27.5 model 2018

24 Speed Gears ! ( 8 x 3 Set Up)

Fork Foxter with Lock out ! -- Already replaced with Epixon

Shimano Gears

Oversize Bar and Stem

Heavy Duty Alloy Frame Square Tubing

27.5 Bike 5'4 to 5'10

Great Affordable Entry Level 27.5 BikeSpecifications:

Frame: Foxter Alloy 6061 Thick Frame Square Tubing 27.5

Fork: Foxter Suspension with Lock Out

Handlebar: Foxter Oversize Alloy

Stem: Foxter oversize Alloy

Shifter: Shimano 8 Speed Shimano Altus

Brakes: Shimano Hydraulic Brakes

Front Derailer: Shimano Tourney

Rear Derailer: Shimano Tourney

Crank: Foxter Steel Triple Chainwheel

Cogs: Taiwan 8 Speed

Tires: CST Jet 27.5 x 1.95

Seat Clamp: Quick Release

Rotors: Shimano Rotor Discs

Last edited by earvinnill; 11-26-18 at 07:35 PM.
Old 11-26-18, 06:25 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by earvinnill
I have a Foxter Evans 3.0 Bike which is a low budget bike. I'm planning to reduce
it's weight and I already changed the stock fork to epixon fork and I love the result of it.

So should I upgrade the frame or the groupset or the wheelset to lessen it's weight. I only have $400 (converted to dollar) budget
to upgrade my bike. I hope you can answer my question. Thank you!
Not really familiar with that bike, but if you enjoy it, ride till the tires fall off It may not be possible to find a decent frame for that price, not to mention all the labor or time to move the parts over. Maybe go tubeless if you can?

Dave
Old 11-26-18, 07:13 PM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
The biggest impact to be made would be if you deemed the current set of tires to be sub-optimal for your use case. Do you need knobby tires? Or do you spend almost all of your time on the road, with a small amount of packed dirt once in awhile? If so, go for some tires with a smoother middle-portion and some tread at the corners/sides. Or go narrower, or both. Nothing will make the bike more of a pleasure to ride on-road more than swapping out off-road tires for on-road tires. Weight reduction is only really a factor if you do a lot of hill climbing, and even then, that bike certainly has the right gears for climbing (though with excessive weight, you wouldn't climb fast).

After that, I'd wait to discover what bugs you most. Tourney drivetrain isn't awesome, but it does work fairly well, and could give you years of service if properly maintained. If the drivetrain does really bug you, you could swap out to a higher end groupset but you'll have to do some research to identify what components can and cannot work together. It would be a shame to upgrade to Alivio rear derailleur and discover it's incompatible with your shifters and cassette, for example. The crankset and chainrings are probably where you could most easily save some weight.

I cannot imagine putting an upgraded frame on a Tourney groupset. But on the other hand I can't imagine putting a Deore-XT groupset on a cheap frame. So ride it as is (with appropriate tires) and get your money's worth out of it.
Old 11-26-18, 07:36 PM
earvinnill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bonsai171
Not really familiar with that bike, but if you enjoy it, ride till the tires fall off It may not be possible to find a decent frame for that price, not to mention all the labor or time to move the parts over. Maybe go tubeless if you can?

Dave
Hi! I updated my First post with the specs of the bike. I'm also considering to switch it to tubeless
Old 11-26-18, 07:36 PM
hig4s

Bikes: Evil Insurgent, Giant Stance, Wife has Liv Cypress, son has Motobecane HT529

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
If you plan on doing technical trails, add a dropper post.
Old 11-26-18, 08:08 PM
earvinnill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by daoswald
The biggest impact to be made would be if you deemed the current set of tires to be sub-optimal for your use case. Do you need knobby tires? Or do you spend almost all of your time on the road, with a small amount of packed dirt once in awhile? If so, go for some tires with a smoother middle-portion and some tread at the corners/sides. Or go narrower, or both. Nothing will make the bike more of a pleasure to ride on-road more than swapping out off-road tires for on-road tires. Weight reduction is only really a factor if you do a lot of hill climbing, and even then, that bike certainly has the right gears for climbing (though with excessive weight, you wouldn't climb fast).

After that, I'd wait to discover what bugs you most. Tourney drivetrain isn't awesome, but it does work fairly well, and could give you years of service if properly maintained. If the drivetrain does really bug you, you could swap out to a higher end groupset but you'll have to do some research to identify what components can and cannot work together. It would be a shame to upgrade to Alivio rear derailleur and discover it's incompatible with your shifters and cassette, for example. The crankset and chainrings are probably where you could most easily save some weight.

I cannot imagine putting an upgraded frame on a Tourney groupset. But on the other hand I can't imagine putting a Deore-XT groupset on a cheap frame. So ride it as is (with appropriate tires) and get your money's worth out of it.
I love hill climbing and been practicing it. So should I change tires now?
Ohh so if I'm going to buy a deore groupset, it mayhave a chance that it is still not compatible to my bike frame?

Do you have suggestion what crankset and chainring should i buy?
Old 11-26-18, 08:09 PM
earvinnill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hig4s
If you plan on doing technical trails, add a dropper post.
I'm doing trails but I love hill climbing most.
Old 11-27-18, 01:37 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 771 Posts
$400 isn't going to reduce much weight on that bike.

The biggest weight reducer that is noticeable will be the wheelset and a tubeless setup.

But $400 won't get you a wheelset that's much lighter than what you already have.

You're better off saving your pennies and buying a better bike.
Old 11-27-18, 06:20 PM
earvinnill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71

The biggest weight reducer that is noticeable will be the wheelset and a tubeless setup.

But $400 won't get you a wheelset that's much lighter than what you already have.

Thank you for your suggestion
Old 11-28-18, 10:21 AM
grubetown

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
+1 for riding this bike and saving for a new one
Old 11-28-18, 01:46 PM
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
So I won't disagree with the "save and buy a new bike" idea. It is likely the most efficient path to weight loss and improved performance. However in order of priority to save weight and improve the ride (imho)

Wheelset + Tubeless - $$$$
1x setup - $
higher end fork - $$$
Drive train (rear cassette especially) - $$$ - $$$$$$$$$$$$$
Carbon cockpit - $$$$$$$$$$$$

Imho, the most important upgrades made to bikes today, if you have a bike worth spending the money using standard sizes
  • Dropper Seatpost (will add weight) - there are some great affordable options there days. Just make sure you aren't buying something that can't be transfered
  • Wheelset + tubeless
In general, when I started out with my Kona Roast in 2002, the parts were average and heavy and not suited to my riding. So I would slowly switch out parts as they broke. WIthin a year I had a killer HT built on a killer frame with some seriously burly freeride parts. That bike then lasted me 16 years. Doing it this way was like a slow payment plan, to create a much more expensive bike, however this way also meant the bike over time cost me $4000cdn. It would have just cost me $2500 if I had the cash up front.

So in my head this is an if else question

If, in the near future you can afford a better bike
Buy better bike
Elseif can't afford
Buy better parts
in future
buy better frame
move parts over
That is likely your decision path and everyone will have recommendations but you kind of need to decide your own priorities.

Best of luck..
Old 12-06-18, 04:20 PM
zoolzoo

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i wouldn't bother upgrading that one
Old 12-13-18, 03:20 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71

Just chiming in because I was considering a wheel set upgrade on my 09 Gary Fisher Cobia. Your probably right. But man, when I took the rear wheel off to check the pads it was like half the weight of the bike was the rear wheel. Exaggerating, but still.......
Old 12-19-18, 10:04 AM
BrocLuno

Bikes: K2 (Marzocchi/Fox), Trek 6000 (red) MARS Elite up front, Specialized Hardrock Sport -> eBike (R7 Elite up front), lastly TREK 820 loaner. Recently sold Peugeot du Monde Record and 1956 Schwinn (owned since new).

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You already did the big upgrade - air fork. Now it's little stuff. But the best way to manage this is to take weight off up high first. Carbon bars, stem, etc. Lighter comfy saddle. Then work your way down to the lower stuff.

Dropper seat-post adds weight. If you have the time at the top of a climb, just manually drop your seat post for the run down.

The biggest difference in perceived effect is tires. Tubeless to stop pinch flats, but tread pattern and compound make the real difference. What a soft compound tire will do is night and day different than what a street compound tire will do.

At your budget, I'd put most of the money in the best tires and go tubeless
Old 04-17-19, 05:04 AM
CakeChaser

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
+ 1 for lightening the wheels, tubeless, lightish tyres (within reason) ...I did this 25 years ago moving from steel to alum. Rotational weight reduction makes the most difference. Keep an eye on Ebay for bits and bobs, moving to carbon from alloy. Enjoy.
Old 04-17-19, 07:50 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Replacing functional parts that you are otherwise happy with just to save weight is generally a foolish and expensive thing to do on a bike like that, and a new bike will be a for more affordable way to accomplish this in the end.

That said, a newer, lighter, better set of tires can help both in weight (where you feel it the most) and performance. That is usially a sound investment.

The next thing I would look at if you are riding singletrack is a dropper post even though it adds weight. This is also something you can most likely use on your next bike.

Focus on spending money on things that will transfer to a new bike: pedals, grips, saddle, dropper post, shoes.... and don’t obsess over weight. Performance is far more important.
Old 04-17-19, 06:20 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
I'd buy "upgrades" that you could also move to a new bike because they are universal fit, and are mostly contact points.

Tires
Saddle
Grips
Pedals
Handlebar & stem (for comfort and position, not quality or weight)
Accessories, tools, clothes, lights

I'm either-or on the dropper post. It's a good thing to have but doesn't go as well on a bike with no cable routing and a left shifter. And they mostly come in the three most common seat post sizes, which you might not have if you are unlucky.

Other than that keep it clean and lubed, ride it like you stole it, make repairs on your budget.
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 04-17-19 at 06:28 PM.