Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anyone Do Bike Messenger/Courier?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-19, 11:14 PM
allout1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What kind of bike is ideal to do it? What kind of custom parts are good for it?

I see a lot of short flat bars and single speeds. What do you think about this? I can see the short, flat bar for getting between autos, but what about single gear? I can't understand a single gear bike.
Old 04-04-19, 04:19 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
If you see the occasional, rare bike messenger, then you're probably seeing fixed gears not single speeds.

And if the occasional, rare bike messenger happens to still be in the business, who are we to question their equipment? Fixies have been around as bike messenger bikes for a long time.

Last edited by Machka; 04-04-19 at 06:36 AM.
Old 04-04-19, 04:20 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Old 04-04-19, 05:31 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3660 Post(s)
Liked 5,406 Times in 2,745 Posts
Sorry, couldn't find a sock with 70X11 FIXED.
Old 04-04-19, 05:49 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10157 Post(s)
Liked 5,849 Times in 3,150 Posts
Yeah, I done it and it sucks.

This would have made it considerably better.
Old 04-04-19, 06:28 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I've seen messingers...

...in the movies Premium Rush and Quicksilver, so I would guess that I'm pretty much an expert on this. The coolest messengers only ride fixed gears. Sometimes, they replace fixed gears with single speeds for stunt filming, but you can only tell that with freeze frame images because it happens so fast and it's edited in.

Apparently, it's also cool to have a U-lock or chain handy so that you can smack down a bad guy or aggressive driver, so you'll want to factor that in.

There are some messengers who ride geared bikes, though. They'll just be your friends, or your posse or whatever. They're cool, too.

Hope that this helps.

EDIT: Messengers

Last edited by Phil_gretz; 04-04-19 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Ugh. Title.
Old 04-04-19, 06:29 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
I read an article indicating we have one bike courier who rides an e-bike. It's a small enough city that I doubt we have more than one.
Old 04-04-19, 07:22 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
...in the movies Premium Rush and Quicksilver, so I would guess that I'm pretty much an expert on this. The coolest messengers only ride fixed gears. Sometimes, they replace fixed gears with single speeds for stunt filming, but you can only tell that with freeze frame images because it happens so fast and it's edited in.

Apparently, it's also cool to have a U-lock or chain handy so that you can smack down a bad guy or aggressive driver, so you'll want to factor that in.

There are some messengers who ride geared bikes, though. They'll just be your friends, or your posse or whatever. They're cool, too.

Hope that this helps.

EDIT: Messengers

I would hang out with bike messengers in the early 1980s in Minneapolis (probably about the peak of bike messengering). I remember a lot of 3 speeds in those days. Easy to maintain, and could be picked up for like $25 at a garage sale. The biggest factors are your ability to carry a bag on it, and ease of bringing it into a building. Locking it up takes valuable time. Drop bars are definitely clumsier in both respects.
Old 04-04-19, 08:32 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Calgary, mid 80's. Any bike I could find. Reliable and easy to fix because I needed it to work every day. No flash because I had to lock it outside downtown all the time when traveling up big office towers to deliver or pick up.

Not so glamorous as they make it look on film. I was always sweaty and a bit stinky and while secretaries didn't gush most were kind. You ride all weather all day and I remember delivering in -32.
I always thought it was bit like the early pony express where young men basically lived on horses or in barns waiting for the next dispatch.
Old 04-04-19, 08:41 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
The bike couriers around here ride mostly fixies and hybrids, it seems. Lately also E-bikes becoming more common.
Old 04-04-19, 09:19 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Mostly couriered around NYC is food delivery.. those guys are almost all on heavy duty electric bikes..
Old 04-04-19, 09:26 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Mostly couriered around NYC is food delivery.. those guys are almost all on heavy duty electric bikes..
I consider them a scourge here in Philly. They go zipping around, often at full throttle. Can be difficult to hear with ambient city noise. Usually no lights and operators wearing dark clothing. Stop signs and red lights don't exist to them. Many don't hesitate to pop up onto sidewalks to get around stopped traffic. I almost got hit again last week crossing legally in a crosswalk at night.
Old 04-04-19, 09:41 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I consider them a scourge here in Philly. They go zipping around, often at full throttle. Can be difficult to hear with ambient city noise. Usually no lights and operators wearing dark clothing. Stop signs and red lights don't exist to them. Many don't hesitate to pop up onto sidewalks to get around stopped traffic. I almost got hit again last week crossing legally in a crosswalk at night.

Thats delivery. You get paid by the drop, not the hour, so the longer the job takes, the less you make, cause the faster guy gets to the next job before you.
If you’re sitting still, you’re not earning.

Dont get me wrong, I agree with you, but it’s the nature of the beast, and it sucks.
Old 04-04-19, 09:44 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Ironfish653
cause the faster guy gets to the next job before you.
I was not referring to independent delivery service workers like those who work for things like Caviar (although they can be dicks, too), but rather people who deliver for only one restaurant.
Old 04-04-19, 10:03 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by mtb_addict
Flat urban enviroment with big buildings blocking wind. Not surprising they use single speed.

What surprise me is why they don't use fenders? Water spray from wheel in urbanity must be full of nasty.
Clusters of large buildings create wind tunnels.

Water spray in TX, home of 0 regulations, has got to be worse. Any new chemical plant explosions today? LOL!
Old 04-04-19, 11:12 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10157 Post(s)
Liked 5,849 Times in 3,150 Posts

Thats delivery. You get paid by the drop, not the hour, so the longer the job takes, the less you make, cause the faster guy gets to the next job before you.

Dont get me wrong, I agree with you, but it’s the nature of the beast, and it sucks.

When I was a messenger in NYC in the 70s, jobs were zoned, so, if you were fast, a long job paid more and the annoying fixed time overhead (locking up, elevators chatting up receptionist) comprised a smaller percentage of the whole. Dispatch might also give you a couple of jobs along the way and you could book a hundred bucks on a good run down to Wall St. or up to Riverside Dr.

Still sucked.
Old 04-04-19, 11:22 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
For a while, my daughter ran as and managed several bike messengers (of course, if no one was available, he still had to make the run). Ultimately, the best option was an e-bike.
Old 04-04-19, 12:33 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
The kids I knew and observed (Denver, about a decade ago) rode gross, beat up fixies with a front brake.

Single speed, one brake: less maintenance. Fixed gear: more control in traffic without using hands. Bullhorns, etc. allow for an aerodynamic position (and allow heavy things to rest on the back) without the extra material of drop bars. Fenders, mirrors, etc. are just extra weight and extra things to get ripped off.

These guys and gals were generally sweaty and covered in road grime. Part of the job.
Old 04-04-19, 01:35 PM
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

Bikes: 3x8 & 3x9

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 54 Posts
I work in downtown Denver and it's pretty much the same these days. There's a Jimmy John's sandwich shop nearby, so I see those riders all the time, often wearing JJ jerseys, and also Door Dash riders with their large, red, square backpacks and plenty more who don't have such obvious company-issued gear. One guy I see frequently has a prominent handlebar moustache and wears a cycling cap instead of a helmet. Something about him looks like he just rode into town from a hundred years ago.

A few bikes have drop bars and derailleurs, but most seem to be old steel road bikes with wide, modern mountain bike handlebars. Most of those have single-speed or fixed drivetrains. Some have front "pizza" racks but most guys seem to carry their loads on their backs.

One thing is certain - those guys are always riding hard and fast. I try to stay out of their way, which I don't always do for the tourists on rental bikes and sidewalk salmons concerned with no one's right of way but their own.
Old 04-04-19, 01:49 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
"Anyone Do Bike Messenger/Courier?"

No, but I might give him a tip.
Old 04-05-19, 01:17 AM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 807 Times in 408 Posts
Every morning I drive my wife to work in central Tokyo, and along Roppongi street there is always a large number of bike messengers on their way to work. They all have radios, messenger bags, and a license plate on the back of their bikes (so people can call and complain if these guys ride too crazy). Though they ride fast, they always stop at red lights. Bike essengers were riding a lot of single-speed bikes a few years ago, Tokyo has more than a few hills, particularly around the Akasaka/Azabu area, and they can be tough if you don't have gears. I seldom see any single speed bikes ridden by messengers nowadays.

Bike messengers are still popular in Tokyo because all official documents require a registered stamp or seal be applied to them. One cannot simply fax a signed or sealed document. Often a single document must have several seals from numerous parties, which means it must be taken several places to get the appropriate seals. You can make more money as a bike messenger than working for Uber Eats, or other delivery services.
Old 04-05-19, 02:43 PM
allout1

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, all. I have a few specifics to a few replies, but I need to get out there right this min. I'll just ask this.

What are the gears that those messenger fixies and single speeds are using?

What's the difference between fixie and single speed?

Aren't the electric bikes in NYC, etc getting ripped off? It's hard enough to keep it off the bikes, eh,...
Old 04-05-19, 09:00 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Fixie means fixed-gear: There's no ratchet or freewheel in the hub. When the bike is moving, the pedals are turning, and vice versa.

Single speed is more general, and includes bikes that have a freewheel hub. You can stop pedaling and the bike keeps moving, like on typical geared bikes.

A lot has been written about the relative merits of the two.

There's a certain amount of skill involved in riding a fixie, which I don't possess, so I stick with my freewheel hub.
Old 04-06-19, 02:40 AM
CycleryNorth81

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts

How much is their time worth when they get hit by a car?
Old 04-06-19, 12:59 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by allout1
Aren't the electric bikes in NYC, etc getting ripped off?
The common, explicitly illegal throttle delivery things are really heavy and not all that valuable. Not sure if there's any kind of key, but if there is trying to pedal one away unpowered would not be fun. They have payload capacity to carry a serious chain which they'd probably use if delivering in a questionable area and going further inside than a reception desk, and they're going to be back at a random time within a few minutes anyway. Restaurant either has a very heavy chain that they lock the fleet up with, or wheels them in the door at closing.

Apparently they are not being stolen, or at least not at a rate that makes them unviable as business. They are being confiscated, but apparently not at a rate that would encourage a switch to something legal; after all, this is a city where vehicle delivery has a going deal where they just pay a fixed percentage of parking tickets they are written.

Last edited by UniChris; 04-06-19 at 01:09 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.