Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about those helmet vents and bald head sunburn

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 07-20-19, 01:21 PM
mynewnchome

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8 Raleigh Revenio 1.0

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts

So....like everyone else, I wear a vented helmet, you know the type, approximately 24 vent holes to keep the heat down.

The other day I did a 20 mile ride using that helmet (98 degrees, real feel 105 - NC can be a hot place in the summer). A day later my wife remarked on my approximate 6" x 1" red sun burns that ran from the front of my head to the back on several striped locations.

Today I set out and did over 27 miles, this time using a spray sunscreen we use at the pool. Seems to have prevented the burn but stings in the sweat in the eyes. (Today was a cooler 94 degrees with a real feel of 102 degrees - brrrr, almost needed long sleeves, lol).

So, I began to search for a solution using the power of the internet. Within a few minutes I ran across this....

Sunscreen advice for bald riders.... (LINK)

And then this...

Bicycle helmets and do rags

Some interesting light reading.

Some of the posts even suggested a more aero helmet such as this with different venting ideas to keep from having direct sun exposure and burns.

My concern here is the before mentioned temperatures we have here. Oh, did I mention the humidity? Yea, sometimes near 100% (might as well be raining). Cooling is a high priority. Sweat is a given here, clean, see through cycling glasses are a challenge with the amount of sweat.

Some suggested a folded bandana, a do-rag, a cycling hat, even folded baby wipes and/or screen netting like used in a window glued inside the helmet.

So.....what do you do oh "great bald ones" to protect your "dome" from the ravages of the solar ball in the sky? P.S.....my bald is "self induced" but have worn it this way so long I don't want hair back....lol.

Let's hear the solutions!

Last edited by mynewnchome; 07-20-19 at 01:30 PM.
Old 07-20-19, 01:25 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by mynewnchome
Let's here ("hear") the solutions!
"Headsweats"
Likes For sweeks:
Old 07-20-19, 01:30 PM
mynewnchome

I used to wear ones like that on my motorcycle, the biggest problem was the lack of drawing moisture away, the cotton stayed wet and soon became uncomfortable.

Are those more like a cycling jersey?
Old 07-20-19, 01:32 PM
mynewnchome

Originally Posted by sweeks
Sorry, kindle spell check features tend to change words to something other than what is rooted......see....I put in "typed", kindle changed it to "rooted". I have to proofread a lot of posts or edit them when using this thing, missed that one.
Old 07-20-19, 01:35 PM
jideta

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 74 Posts
Or a summer cycling cap.
I have two from Castelli.
Likes For jideta:
Old 07-20-19, 01:49 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
I always wear a cap under my helmet for blocking some of the sunlight and sweat control. In colder temps it is either a cap or a head cover that goes over the ears and neck. I have found a couple of SPF 50 lotions that actually really do not sting my eyes. One is a CVS brand sports lotion and the other is also CVS, but for babies. The sports brand is very thick and sticky. When I get home my legs are covered with road grime. However, it stays on for quite awhile and does not sting my eyes. The baby lotion never totally disappears into the skin and looks like baby powder on your skin. Not nearly as sticky, also lasts and does not irritate my eyes. I do not like wearing any of the stuff, but it sure is better than getting things on the skin either frozen for removal or cut off and biopsied every 6 months. Saw my dermatologist 2 weeks ago and had nothing done other than the examination.
Old 07-20-19, 02:10 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
I always wear a cycling cap under the helmet, both for top-of-the-head sun protection and a little protection for my face.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 07-20-19, 02:23 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
"Magnetically fastener" ?
(that's all I got )
Old 07-20-19, 02:38 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
+1

I wear them year round even though I have enough hair left to protect against sunburn they help keeping sweat out of my eyes and glasses when climbing.
Likes For August West:
Old 07-20-19, 02:57 PM
BengalCat

Bikes: 50/34, 11-40, 11 Speed

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 52 Posts
^^^This.

All one needs to know. Headsweats or any other skull cap made specifically for bicycle riders wearing helmets in moderate or warm weather, especially sunny weather.

A good place to peruse is Amazon and just type in the search feature for "skull caps" or "bicycle headcover," etc. Buy from whoever you want once you have decided.

Good luck on getting something that is exactly right for you.
Old 07-20-19, 03:19 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
All I would add is to look for spf rating on headgear. I have a scarf, do-rag thing from Voler with a 50 spf rating. They make arm and leg covers too. I didn't always wear stuff under my helmet, but I just finished treatment for pre-cancer spots on my bald head, so, now I will always wear a cycling cap or head cover. I find the wicking type material feels cooler as it wicks the sweat away. It also keeps sweat out of my eyes.
Likes For Slightspeed:
Old 07-20-19, 04:08 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Cycling caps aren’t old school or new hipster. They work to prevent sunburn amd prevent sweat running onto your eyes or needing a sweat gutter for your helmet.

It won’t appreciably warm you either on hot days.

Give one a shot.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 07-20-19, 04:09 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
I wear a Halo band do-rag type skull cap thing. Works wonders for this problem, which I also am susceptible to. Traditional bike hats simply do not work in the stifling hot humid weather that I ride in.
Old 07-20-19, 04:14 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Mission Enduracool Cooling Helmet Liner

I have used many different caps-- so, so many-- and this is the absolute best for hot weather, hands down, bar none.

I wear Headsweats caps from around November through March. The rest of the year is Enduracool all the way.
Old 07-20-19, 04:25 PM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
"Magnetically Fastener"

I hope their engineering and quality control are better than their grammar and proofreading.

I use a Halo on top too. I have a couple that are just bands, but also a couple that are full dew-rag style. If I'm going for more than an hour and a half in daylight I'll use the latter. Less than that, or at night, the headband style is fine.

You have to be moving in the same direction relative to the sun for awhile to get a perfect sunburn through the helmet's vents. At least with my helmet it's that way. More typical riding doesn't follow straight lines very long, so I'm less concerned about silk-screening a sunburn onto my scalp. But it does happen sometimes on longer rides.
Old 07-20-19, 04:34 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Nowhere near bald, but my POC (mips) helmet is designed in such a way that that shouldn't be an issue.
Old 07-20-19, 04:46 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Originally Posted by daoswald
You have to be moving in the same direction relative to the sun for awhile to get a perfect sunburn through the helmet's vents. At least with my helmet it's that way. More typical riding doesn't follow straight lines very long, so I'm less concerned about silk-screening a sunburn onto my scalp. But it does happen sometimes on longer rides.
When I first got my Smith Overtake (RIP) I thought, "Hey, it's got Koroyd in the vents, I should be able to wear it without a cap." Tried that for a few days, and was rewarded with a nice mini-grid sunburn corresponding to the four square vents on top of the helmet. Mercifully, it faded quickly.

Several years ago, I wore my Kali Maraka with no cap, and got the full-blown Alien Nation sun pattern in a single afternoon. It did not fade quickly.
Old 07-20-19, 04:52 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
I have 4 of these in rotation. I wear one every ride, regardless of temp. They do not make my head hotter and keep the helmet pads clean. I actually have some old Performance brand caps just like these, but I don't think they sell them any more. The ones I use just cover the top of the head, stopping well above the ears. Very minimal.

https://www.performancebike.com/pace...9-9910/p540820

I also have a couple Headsweats do-rag type things. Functionally very similar, but cover right down to the tops of the ears, and they have that stupid faux tied/knotted looking tail in the back like you'd have with a bandana do-rag. I prefer the simple/minimal helmet liner.

I've been looking for something similar with a drape in the back big enough to keep the sun off the back of my neck, but haven't found anything that looks right yet.
Old 07-20-19, 05:01 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Headsweats or a cycling cap.

When it is so hot and humid out....it isn't like having naked sun-scorched skin is any cooler.
Old 07-20-19, 05:05 PM
BengalCat

Bikes: 50/34, 11-40, 11 Speed

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 52 Posts
Once you find the right skull cap to wear under your helmet you will encounter a new problem, (especially for one with a shaved head or mostly bald.) That problem will be if you ride a lot in the sun you will get a very tan face and neck and a much lighter-skinned head! (Similar issue wearing riding gloves--deeply tanned arms and starkly lighter hands.)
Old 07-20-19, 05:07 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

I have tanlines from my helmet straps just behind my ears. I was getting the "inverse raccoon" from my sunglasses, so I grew a beard.

I always wear gloves on the bike, so I definitely look like I've had a hand transplant.
Old 07-20-19, 05:15 PM
Baldy1953

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 18 Posts
I wear a head sweats under my helmet also. When I get extremely hot riding, I carry a water bottle and squirt a bit through the holes in the helmet to cool the old noggin off a bit. As the water evaporates, it keeps the head a bit cooler. Does not take much water through the vents to cool you off.
Old 07-20-19, 05:27 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4788 Post(s)
Liked 3,912 Times in 2,544 Posts
I use the simple Pace skull caps year 'round to 1) keep the inside of my helmet clean, 2) keep sweat out of my eyes I still have hair but I'm sold on those caps and I don't think losing it will make much difference -helmet burn-wise.

(A trick to keep sunscreen out of your eyes - Aloe Gator 40SPD Gel. That stuff does not run and if it does get in your eyes, burns very little. I apply it over my eyelids. I don't sweat it getting on my eyelashes and rarely have any issues. I only use it around and above my eyes as doesn't wash off easily and every bug that lands in it stays.
Old 07-20-19, 05:52 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
I have little to no hair and use a bandana under a baseball hat for the visor, under what seems like a 20 year old helmet. i'm married 21 years now i think and have had the helmet before i met my wife.

donning flame suit now.
Old 07-20-19, 08:12 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Maybe try a jam jar cover, they look protective enough from bumps and sun.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.