Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Slumping

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-19, 08:10 AM
davethelefty

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF SL, Cannondale Topstone 6, Co-op Cycles CTY 1.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 34 Posts
Slumping

Hi, all. 65 year old rider here would like to hear if you've been through a recent slump and how you overcame it. So far 2019 has not been a great year for me. A January bike accident (totally my fault) broke several ribs, which brought to an end my training program for a 50 miler. After a while of forced bike inactivity, I got back into my groove, then returned from a European vacation with TB and now I'm on many months of drug therapy. I've been keeping at it, riding 3-4 times a week, but not doing anything to excel. I feel like I'm loafing - physical and mental energy are both lagging, but a mid-year physical exam found no health concerns, so I'm thinking this is mental. My salvation so far has been trail and gravel riding on my mountain bike, but in the mean time my road bike goals (half and metric centuries) go unconquered. Thoughts?
Old 09-16-19, 09:15 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8273 Post(s)
Liked 9,028 Times in 4,469 Posts
Sorry to read about your physical problems. I'm also 65 and it is definitely harder to make gains at this age and the mental part is different, too.
After a few years of decline I'm trying to regain some of my speed and endurance and while I can see gains it has started to become frustrating.

Sometimes I think I should ride with slower people because the people I like to ride with are faster than I am and sometimes I wonder if I can even get where I want. I do love a fun mountain bike ride for a break from road riding.
Old 09-16-19, 09:39 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
My first thought is to forget those goals. Build yourself up. You've had some issues and getting back may take time. Pay attention to your body and make sure you give it rest days. Be patient. You will get there. Best.
Old 09-16-19, 12:40 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I'm a goal guy. It is said that the reason amateur racers race is so they have to train so as not to embarrass themselves too greatly. I have a weekly group ride which serves the same purpose. Once a year I do a big event which means hard training rides leading up to it.

Decide when you want to ride that 50 miler and write yourself a training plan that gets you in shape for it. Follow the plan. Simple. If the plan gets away from you and you can't follow it, scale it back a little, put off the big ride a few more weeks.

The place one needs the most strength to ride hard and long is found between the ears. Getting old is not for sissies. You just have to bust your ass and it's going to hurt. If it doesn't hurt, you should be going harder, etc. Clichés, but they're all true.
Old 09-16-19, 02:22 PM
fly135

Bikes: iZip E3 Peak DS, Magnum Metro, GT Tachyon, K2 Sidewinder

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 21 Posts
I can totally relate to what you are going through. I'm an avid wakeboarder that is about to turn 64. About 6 weeks ago I took a hard fall that caused a lot of rib cage damage. Last year I broke all the bones in my palm snowboarding. And I seem to be always doing something to hurt myself lately. It's really killed my confidence on the water and I really feel like my age has started to limit me for the first time in the last couple years. I stopped worrying as much about progressing and started focusing on just getting on the water as much as possible and getting my exercise. I figured if I start making progress and getting better again, then great. But if I don't then I'll just have fun and stay in shape doing the sport of my choice. I recently expanded into biking, and can see that it's another thing I can do where I get enjoyment and exercise.
Old 09-16-19, 02:59 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,980 Times in 566 Posts
This is where being a non-Stravaite has its advantages. I have no idea whether how much slower I am than before. I ride to a level of effort and call it good.

Scary you would return from a European vacation with TB ... I'm in Eastern Europe right now.

Old 09-16-19, 03:02 PM
CadenceCrazy

Bikes: Nashbar CR5 Ultegra, Trek 2300

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Using creative license to an old saying: "You move today so you can keep moving tomorrow."
Old 09-16-19, 03:07 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
It is not easy to return from that injury, and I'm sure that the TB has made it that much harder. My approach, forget about before and the goal schedule, continue from where I am and gradually improve. However long it takes, that's what it takes.

I don't know about the lethargy, but for me sheer habit overcomes my tendency to loaf and procrastinate. For sure I've got goals, but working towards them for incremental improvements is more important than where we are with respect to the goals.
Old 09-17-19, 08:34 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
As @wphamilton mentioned it’s very challenging to return to form following an injury. Yours is even more challenging given you had some physical damage plus serious issues with your cardio system from the TB. It does take time. It sounds like you need both endurance and some interval training to get your cardio back in shape. I’ve been through it a few times from both injuries and illnesses and it takes effort. It’s actually pretty darn tough work but you’ll be tickled with the long term results.

For cardio you might try going as hard as you can for short periods, 10 seconds?.. 30 seconds???? 60 seconds??? Whatever you can do to geet your HR up quickly. Do 3-5 sets and add both time and frequency as you get stronger. For endurance you just have to log time in the saddle. Can you plan to ride to a destination to get the miles you need?? That usually works for me. Once I get there I know I have to ride back.

Sorrow about your issues but recovery can be rewarding. Good luck!!!