Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Invasion of the E-bikes!

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Invasion of the E-bikes!

Old 10-09-19, 05:46 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by cecu
Does Srava actually do anything with reported/flagged segments?

I reported an issue with a segment near where I ride, dude doing 107.8 Km/h on a flat stretch of road, nothing has been done about it (reported over a month ago).
Did you ever go back and look at the segment?

If you flag a ride for "in car" or something like that where someone forgot to stop their GPS, it automatically removes the activity from the leaderboard. What's actually rare or difficult is getting your activity re-instated if you feel it was a real effort. The burden of proof is apparently such that you're better off just trying again.

We have LOTS of local folks who ride MUP's then forget to turn off their gps driving home and bag about 20 or 30 on-road segments. Flag the ride and it's fixed.

It also keeps Strava "cleaner" to bother to flag stuff like that. If you didn't, you'd be very surprised how littered the leaderboards would be with activities from folks forgetting to turn off their gps's.

Shoot, I forgot one day! I went home and removed my own activity.
Old 10-09-19, 06:07 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Lots of riders going from 5 to 25 as fast as a throttle e-bike can? LOL! Nowhere close to the majority of non-motorized cyclists ride like nearly all of the throttle e-bike riders do 'round these parts. Indeed, how many people can even sustain 25 mph on city streets?

I don't have a problem with power-assist e-bikes. The ones where you must pedal to gain assist. But come to the big city and nearly get plowed over by a throttle bike (possibly when it jumps onto the sidewalk) and I think reality will change your mind about some things.

Don't let your combativeness cause you to ignore certain realities.
Might be your reality, but certainly ain't everyone's. You seem frustrated, why don't you file a complaint to your city & ask for regulations?
Old 10-09-19, 07:34 AM
sheddle

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts
I need an ebike but one of the ones which let you hack the governor so I can go 35mph. Sadly none of the so-called "buyers guides" include this information. Very sad.
Old 10-09-19, 07:41 AM
sheddle

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts
Also if I had anything resembling a hot take, it's that while ebikes seem cool, I don't quite get the point of the ones made to look exactly like road bikes. Seems weirdly like if you designed a car but made it look as much like a horse carriage as possible, or something (in other words, it's pretty unlikely that the "ideal" design for an e-bike is to make it look as much like another type of bicycle as possible)
Old 10-09-19, 08:11 AM
fried bake

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
If multiple bottle cages and drop bars on road bikes are optimal by design, then presumably the same applies for e-road bikes, no? Sincerely trying to understand what else they would look like. Hybrid and mountain ebikes look like their counterparts as well.
Old 10-09-19, 08:13 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by sheddle
I need an ebike but one of the ones which let you hack the governor so I can go 35mph. Sadly none of the so-called "buyers guides" include this information. Very sad.
"Will that 35 mph be with or without aero bars, sir?"
Old 10-09-19, 08:13 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3192 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,490 Posts
Have the Men's Wellness Centers teamed up with an E-bike company yet to provide one stop shopping? Add a hair restoration/scalp plugging company like Tom Bosley and you can get it all. Low T, wet dish rag syndrome, "a little more," natural looking/feeling hair, etc. They can cure it all. They can probably set you up with an inhaler as well. Just open up your wallet and be young again!

Last edited by seypat; 10-09-19 at 08:18 AM.
Old 10-09-19, 08:16 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Maybe the electric wheelchair companies can get on board with these. "I'm on Medicare, and I got this e-bike, at no cost to me."
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 10-09-19, 08:21 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Maybe the electric wheelchair companies can get on board with these. "I'm on Medicare, and I got this e-bike, at no cost to me."
I'm seeing the possibilities!
Old 10-09-19, 08:52 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1568 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 591 Posts
Cross-promotion; that's a really good idea! Another possibility: "Our A***n Stairlift purchase included a complimentary e-bike. Now I don't have to worry about him falling behind on the a-ride or falling down our stairs at home!!"
Old 10-09-19, 09:01 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by badger1
Cross-promotion; that's a really good idea! Another possibility: "Our A***n Stairlift purchase included a complimentary e-bike. Now I don't have to worry about him falling behind on the a-ride or falling down our stairs at home!!"
Might as well throw in a Life Call bracelet/necklace as well. Heck of a deal.
Old 10-09-19, 09:18 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
It depends on which sub-topic of the many being discussed in this thread he was referring to. Could be reference to OP's mention that the ebike riders were in the 20-30 yr old age group.. and follow-on mentions that they seemed to think it "fashionable", or that the industry stands to make some money on a trendy way to commute to work. who knows..
Do you drive a car? I'm assuming you do, even though you could get everywhere you ever need to be by bike.
Old 10-09-19, 09:24 AM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by seypat
Have the Men's Wellness Centers teamed up with an E-bike company yet to provide one stop shopping? Add a hair restoration/scalp plugging company like Tom Bosley and you can get it all. Low T, wet dish rag syndrome, "a little more," natural looking/feeling hair, etc. They can cure it all. They can probably set you up with an inhaler as well. Just open up your wallet and be young again!
Should people give up something they enjoy instead, when it isn't necessary? Because people on the internet get their panties in a bunch?
Old 10-09-19, 09:36 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Did you ever go back and look at the segment?

If you flag a ride for "in car" or something like that where someone forgot to stop their GPS, it automatically removes the activity from the leaderboard. What's actually rare or difficult is getting your activity re-instated if you feel it was a real effort. The burden of proof is apparently such that you're better off just trying again.
That's not correct.

Speaking from experience:

The first time a ride is flagged an email is sent to the person asking them if they need to edit their ride to take out the section. If not, just click the button and it's reinstated.

The second time it's flagged, a Strava person contacts you and asks you what's up and why it's actually real. When this happens, legit people with actual data say "power and hr are commensurate with effort" or something to that effect. The Strava person says thanks, they reinstate it, and they set it so it can't be flagged again.

Speaking from the other side of the coin: if a person gets convicted of doping and goes out and sets a bunch of KOMs the week after said conviction is made public and you report it, nothing happens and you won't be able to continually reflag the segment. Because doping is okay with Strava.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 10-09-19, 09:42 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Do you drive a car? I'm assuming you do, even though you could get everywhere you ever need to be by bike.

Until you need to carry things. 14 trips a week to the grocery store with your backpack kind of sucks.

Not to mention when you need to buy a lamp or a coffee table or something.
Old 10-09-19, 09:50 AM
Seattle Forrest

That's what home trailers are for. My mom used to tow me in a bike trailer as a little kid, and people can't move some apples on a bike? Everyone wants the same results without putting in the effort, or however that quip went.

But I do agree with you that motors have a purpose.
Old 10-09-19, 11:36 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

I read someone talking about e-bike tandems recently. Double the damage potential, no question you could kill a pedestrian with one. Napa wine country is gonna just LOVE people renting those out things for an afternoon of fun.

And what about ebike touring? Lets start pulling double trailers, since we're no longer having to pedal (very much).
Old 10-09-19, 12:20 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
I read someone talking about e-bike tandems recently. Double the damage potential, no question you could kill a pedestrian with one. Napa wine country is gonna just LOVE people renting those out things for an afternoon of fun.

And what about ebike touring? Lets start pulling double trailers, since we're no longer having to pedal (very much).
At that size, I think you can call it an electric motorcycle! lol

As I said above, some cities will need to regulate their use at some point.
Old 10-09-19, 12:29 PM
seypat

Should people give up something they enjoy instead, when it isn't necessary? Because people on the internet get their panties in a bunch?
If a person truly needs an assist to keep doing an endeavor, I have no problem with that. But, if you and I are contesting the "city limit sprints" on our rides and I start losing them because of eroding skills, I have no right at all to get myself some "assistance" so I can get back to winning. That would be wrong. It would also mean I have no respect for you as a competitor or the sport in general.
Old 10-09-19, 12:59 PM
Seattle Forrest

We're not talking about contesting sprints, we're getting upset because people ride ebikes at all.
Old 10-09-19, 01:03 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

We're not talking about contesting sprints, we're getting upset because people ride ebikes at all.
Nah, it's more like "butt hurt and crying in our beer."
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 10-09-19, 01:14 PM
seypat

I think the majority are upset because E-bikes will start showing up at the fast rides. Some are upset because they are running like crazy in busy urban areas. I live in the suburbs. I can't comment on that.

Last edited by seypat; 10-09-19 at 02:07 PM.
Old 10-09-19, 01:19 PM
Seattle Forrest

You can't put the genie back in the bottle. A lot of people enjoy riding eBikes. People need to accept that.
Old 10-09-19, 01:29 PM
seypat

You can't put the genie back in the bottle. A lot of people enjoy riding eBikes. People need to accept that.
No denying that. It will be interesting to see what happens on the competitive side of the sport moving forward. Same for that "pay for pay" college sports law the California governor just signed into law. Who knows where it will go.
Old 10-09-19, 01:35 PM
big john

Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,852 Times in 4,397 Posts
Today I rode my mtb up the mountain behind my house.Near the top I was caught by a guy on a Trek e-mtb. He rode alongside for a bit, chatting, and the bike was 29+ and really long wheelbase. Looked like a Full Stache with a motor, he took off and disappeared on a 10% climb.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.