Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuter Bicycle Pics

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Commuter Bicycle Pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-06, 05:58 PM
Lamplight

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by spambait11
My resurrected college ride, ca. 1993. Heavy metal.
Hey, that reminds me of my Mongoose commuter! Only your's looks muuuuch nicer, and that is one large chainring!
Old 09-08-06, 09:40 PM
jbusteed

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yes that is a flask :-)

That is a surly flask

https://www.surlybikes.com/stuff.html

and the flask holder is here

https://www.ahearnecycles.com/flask.htm

It will hold some Jamesons once the weather gets cold here in MD.
Old 09-08-06, 11:28 PM
maximan1
Mr. Maximan1

Bikes: Puch Superleicht, Nishiki moutain project, Trek 2300 carbon composite

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gonesh9
Here's mine taken outside work a few minutes ago....

Closeup of the rear panniers....

Closeup of some stickers on it....

Very nice bike . And BTW that looks like Long Beach Harbor in the background. Is it?
Old 09-09-06, 02:41 PM
cambridgekid9

Bikes: Kona Honky Tonk, Redline D440, Breezer Finesse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Commuter

I recently added some panniers and a rack that I purchased used on eBay so I can pack some clothes and shoes for work along with a light jacket.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
dscf0004.jpg (49.7 KB, 199 views)
Old 09-10-06, 12:30 PM
G5Ti

Bikes: dolan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heya - I've been a recent convert back to biking (in general, and in a few different disciplines). I'm commuting to work by bike almost exclusively these days, and it feels very, very good. My employer is very cool with it, and I'm lucky to have some nice bike trails along the route. It's about 15.5 miles each way (conveniently downhill on the way to to work, and uphill back....). I resurrected my old Trek 830 as the official commuter for a bit, and I'm thinking a roadie for short jaunts with no equipment may be in the future if I can budget it in. No panniers yet, but that may come depending on needs. Right now, the Timbuk2 bag is sufficient for what I have to carry... sometimes a bit more sweaty than I'd like though.

Here's a pic:
Old 09-11-06, 09:33 AM
singlespeed_pp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just finish my old crossroads.
Old 09-11-06, 10:52 AM
moxfyre
cyclist/gearhead/cycli...

Bikes: Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by singlespeed_pp
just finish my old crossroads.
Wow! What size is that frame? I think it might be the smallest I've ever seen drop bars on. I've never seen a Crossroads set up with drop bars either, but you've done a very nice job on it. I love bar-end shifters
Old 09-12-06, 12:03 AM
singlespeed_pp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if i rem correctly should be 16 ctc.
Old 09-12-06, 10:44 AM
TimJ

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mikdes
My '03 Jamis Nova with a green Brooks on it. I like it but am thinking of selling it as it seems to be slightly small. It's a 53cm and I'm about 5'11". I've tried a couple different stems and can't seem to get comfy, though I have a Ritchey adjustable that I've yet to try. I might try that and if that works out I'll keep it. Otherwise I'll be selling it to get something that fits a bit better.
I just noticed this. That's their cyclocross bike, right? Have you got it to fit? Is it super awesome? I've been eyeing that, their touring bike, and Fuji's touring bike, they're all really good looking, steel, and under $1000. How's it besides the fit?
Old 09-13-06, 07:36 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,390 Times in 2,092 Posts
Not exactly my commuter, but my grocery beater - a 1999 Gary Fisher Tassajara.

Traded a local fellow a rear wheel and seatpost for his Vertical dual-boinger MTB (Target) for the Fisher frameset w/front wheel.

The bike has been a disaster to get back up and running, as the drivetrain had been chewed up, for lack of a better term (I am still looking for a replacement RD and crankset - the RD is bent, the chainwheel teeth brutally worn and bent), but it is coming along so far.

These are progress photos from tonight. Just finished mounting the North Road handlebar and extending the brake cables. The mounting position of the shifters was unfortunately, nessesary, due to the gear indicator window interfering with the bend of the handlebar in the straight section.

Won't look much different when completed, save for the addition of a 460mm, 27.2 seatpost (anyone have one?), the replacement drivetrain components, and a matching Bonterager 26X1.25 skinwall slick up front.

Take care,

-Kurt
Attached Images
Garyfisher_upd1_1.jpg (91.5 KB, 184 views)
Garyfisher_upd1_2.jpg (46.3 KB, 118 views)

Old 09-13-06, 11:12 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I wasn't really using my rack, so I took it off to mount my PB Freddy HC fenders in prep for the PNW rainy season (which started today.)
I also got 54" of 3/4" wide Scotchlite reflective tape. It comes in a 27" strip which is broken down into squares that you can cut out. There's no way anyone can say they didn't see me now. I covered the fenders, frame, and put some on my helmet.

Here's the daytime view (no flash)

And here's how it looks in the dark (with flash)
Old 09-14-06, 09:14 PM
mechBgon

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
There's no way anyone can say they didn't see me now.
Remember that reflective stuff is not visible under quite a lot of real-world circumstances (motorist didn't turn their lights on yet, motorist's lights are aiming elsewhere e.g. about to pull into your path from a cross street). Lights, lights, lights!
Old 09-14-06, 09:48 PM
craigdurkee

Bikes: gaint crx 2 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this is my 2007 giant crx 2
awesome commuter although a bit bumpy its very very fast

Old 09-15-06, 08:24 AM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mechBgon
Remember that reflective stuff is not visible under quite a lot of real-world circumstances (motorist didn't turn their lights on yet, motorist's lights are aiming elsewhere e.g. about to pull into your path from a cross street). Lights, lights, lights!
I've got an L&M Solo up front and a PB 3-LED blinkie in the back. These pix were just to show off the new reflecty-bling that I put on my ride. As for side streeters coming into my path; I put more of this stuff on the sides of the fenders and on the sides of my frame and hemlet. It's a big help, but not perfect because you're right about lights not being on, or aimed elsewhere. Considering my morning commute is in the dark, 99% of drivers have their lights on.
It's the joggers and cyclists without any reflective or blinkies on the MUP that I worry more about.
Old 09-15-06, 05:47 PM
jk__74

Bikes: Traitor Ruben, Trek Cobia, Trek Marlin SS, Salsa Chili con Crosso

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I commute via either a road bike (in nicer weather) and now that it is fall, my (1999 or 2000 - I forget) Specialized Rockhopper Franken-commuter.

Currently sporting Planet Bike Freddy Fenders, a Topeak MTX rack, skinny slicks and lights.

DSC02234-1.JPG
Old 09-16-06, 09:58 PM
Russ
Fish'r wish'r

Bikes: Homebuilt (vintage mtb frame)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another mid-80's hardtail franken-bike

I also posted this as a stand-alone thread - what can I say, I'm an attention *hore!

Front
Rear
Rack
Bars

Background on bike: When I was in college (University of Idaho) in the mid 90's, I was managing an apartment complex. One of the tenants abandoned the frame in a storage closet (no logos or badges, but a mid 80's mountain bike frame as best I can tell). I needed a bike to get around campus, so I painted the frame (crappy paint job, as you can see) and with the help of a LBS and their used parts bin, was able to make it rideable. Over time, I replaced some of the parts with better stuff, but it's still basically a franken-bike.

After I finished college, it hung from the ceiling in my garage until the gas price hike last fall, which prompted me to pull it down and put on some new tires (Specialized Nimbus Armadillos), a rack (Jannd Expedition), and a light system (ala Starlight 78). Recently, I added the Nashbar Trekking Bar and a new stem, and some cheap Wellgo clipless pedals.

I commute an average of 4 times per week, approximately 18 miles round trip. Luckily, I've got a great route (wide shoulders, scenic, along the Puget Sound), there are showers at work (I carry clothes and such in an Ortlieb Pannier), and I'm able to park the bike in the mechanical room of the building where I work.

From reading this forum, I know that old mountain bikes are well regarded as commuter bikes, and I would have to agree. I've had a few roadie friends encourage me to buy a road bike so I could get to work faster, but with the light system, pannier full of clothes and lunch, and my "personal baggage" I don't think it's worth the money to save 5 or 10 lbs on a bike. Besides, my commute time (40 minutes) is less than many of my co-workers who drive.

Last edited by Russ; 09-29-06 at 10:06 PM.
Old 09-17-06, 03:57 PM
dan42

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bike side.jpg

This is my do it all commuter.
Old 09-17-06, 04:16 PM
shakeNbake
Mooninite

Bikes: $53 Walmart Special

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
My commuter (again). Still trying to find a way to put some fenders on before the rain comes.

Old 09-17-06, 10:32 PM
russian fighter

Bikes: '85 Nishiki Tri-A, early '90's Nishiki Tange Prestige, '84 Trek 610, mid-'80's Miele (unknown), '72 all chrome Raleigh International, '81 Trek 412, 84 Specialized StumpJumper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What are those fenders you're using? I'm looking for silver 700c fenders that fit snug to the wheel and areall silver (no black streaks).
Old 09-17-06, 10:33 PM
russian fighter

Bikes: '85 Nishiki Tri-A, early '90's Nishiki Tange Prestige, '84 Trek 610, mid-'80's Miele (unknown), '72 all chrome Raleigh International, '81 Trek 412, 84 Specialized StumpJumper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry--the above is directed at Xb Nutt
Old 09-18-06, 05:34 AM
PeteeH
Eternal n00b

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My commuting/trekking/roadmachine

Old 09-18-06, 05:37 AM
craigdurkee

Bikes: gaint crx 2 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Old 09-18-06, 11:44 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
This is my wife's worldsport, bought new in 87 or 88, still pretty much stock (new fenders, seat, handlebar tape). I started commuting on it myself, but then gave up and got my own bike. Meantime I was regearing this one for the topography around here (52/40 to 52/36, 6 spd freewheel now goes from 14 to 30t).

Old 09-18-06, 02:40 PM
G5Ti

Bikes: dolan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I added a new ride to the stable today... it'll take some duty off my commuter bike on light days (to/from work).

Old 09-18-06, 06:41 PM
neoz
Just Rockin'

Bikes: Trek 7000 xtracycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cog_nate
Here's mine. Mid- or late-80s Bianchi Grizzly. Got it from an amazingly nice person on Freecycle last summer. (I'd been riding a thrift store Shogun mountain bike before that.) Had to put new wheels (well... round, at least) on it. Since then I've added the rack, saddlebags, and fenders.
Looks dead similar to my red late 80's Bianchi Alante. I've got it set up also just like yours. Nice ride.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.