Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

1 piece crank woes

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

1 piece crank woes

Old 02-18-09, 09:11 PM
jakerock
helmet brake

Bikes: Kilo TT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1 piece crank woes

My bike is rocking / running a one piece crank...(I know)
I felt a little slippage when trying to slow down, thought it was my lockring...
Tightened it, and still have this "little slip"

After staring at the drivechain for about 45 seconds I realized that it is likely that it is my one piece crank...

The drive pin is smaller than the drive pin hole so the sprocket / crank moves a very small amount!
I can totally feel it... it bites.

Is there some common way to fill the gap so that there is no movement?

Its a cheap frame / bike so im not going to do a bottom bracket conversion / 3 pc crank...
Im saving up for a better frame / etc... and just looking for a way to stop this from happening in the meantime.
Thanks for any ideas

-Jake
Old 02-18-09, 09:13 PM
coppertop4646

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe fill in the extra space with super glue or something of the sort that can stand up to the pressure
Old 02-18-09, 09:17 PM
peabodypride
No plan.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Really, $10 junker BB and bulletproof cranks. Short of welding nothing will work. I'd suggest JB Weld but it cannot stand the physics of this application.
Old 02-18-09, 09:22 PM
solbrothers
Banned.

Bikes: Cinelli Mash

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
bulletproof cranks>1 pc cranks
Old 02-18-09, 09:27 PM
nahh
on your left.

Bikes: Scott SUB 30, Backtrax MTB

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the same issue...i'm going to weld it at some point. or just take another crank out of my junk pile.
Old 02-19-09, 01:36 AM
shecky

Bikes: Rustbuckets, the lot of them.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some chainrings fit the pin better than others. Another possible solution is a shim. I did that on my fixie, making a shim from a piece of steel, grinding it into a wedge-like shape. Seems to work OK. I wonder if it'll fall out one day?
Old 02-19-09, 02:06 AM
Balefire

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by peabodypride
Really, $10 junker BB and bulletproof cranks. Short of welding nothing will work. I'd suggest JB Weld but it cannot stand the physics of this application.
So hook yourself up some car batteries and do something dangerous!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tHJ0NSjZnM

(3:45)
Old 02-19-09, 02:16 AM
EatMyA**

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go a muffler place and give the guy $5 to put a few tacks of weld on there for you.

he might even do it for free.

Or like shecky suggested a metal shim with JB weld will do it too.

or you can ride it like that, its not like anything is gonna happen.
Old 02-19-09, 03:00 AM
jakerock
helmet brake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thats exactly what I am gonna do... Muffler shop!
I know its a minor issue really, but I find it really annoying.
I dont care if the bike IS cheap, but it cant have slack in the drive train... feels r.e.t.a.r.d.e.d.

He he... -Jake

Last edited by jakerock; 02-19-09 at 03:07 AM.
Old 02-19-09, 06:28 AM
subsistbmx@hotm
Freewheelin'!

Bikes: A big one

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My friend had the same problem except with 3piece bmx cranks. Since the BMX chainring also has a slightly bigger hole for the arm it kept moving around and slipping. He tried everything and after a month he just switched to a proper track crankset. I've seen some others use bmx cranks on fixed gear bikes, I wonder how they keep it from moving around.
Good luck.
Old 02-19-09, 12:24 PM
jakerock
helmet brake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good to know that...
I Dont want to eventually "upgrade" to another slippery situation.
-JAke
Old 02-19-09, 12:38 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
That crank and pin setup were only designed to move in one direction. Why not just go single speed and avoid the danger till you save up for your new ride?

...Or you can wait for it to fail on you. And keep in mind that it's not gonna break when it's sitting in your living room. It's gonna break when you are either accelerating or braking on the road. Not a good idea.
Old 02-19-09, 05:04 PM
jakerock
helmet brake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With respect, as im sure you know what you are talking about.... I cant imagine that the pin is going to break off or tear thru the chainring... you think thats possible? They are both made of steel.
I have had whatever number of BMX bikes with 1 piece cranks and never seen or heard of this happening.

[edit] Thanks for warning me BTW... If you know something I dont would you please elaborate? ... Im just resisting the idea of having to go back to SS!! [/edit]

P.S. I went to the local muffler shop and asked the mechanics about welding it...
Three spanish guys came out and talked about it for 5 minutes in their native tongue then said "Tomorrow"
Its just down the block, so I was game and asked them how much "Just $35"
I started laughing, and then they did too... I said "really...how much" (more spanish) "$25"
Ha! "Nada Amore amigos!" I yelled and rode off to buy some of this ($5.99):

Gonna try it tonight.

Last edited by jakerock; 02-19-09 at 05:49 PM.
Old 02-19-09, 05:32 PM
jet sanchEz

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 849 Times in 386 Posts
Those Spanish guys will have the last laugh when you lose all of your teeth...
Old 02-19-09, 05:47 PM
jakerock
helmet brake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jet sanchEz
Those Spanish guys will have the last laugh when you lose all of your teeth...
Would you mind switching into "trying to help a fellow biker" mode and help me understand why I will lose my teeth? I would really rather not do that.
Old 02-19-09, 07:18 PM
jet sanchEz

JB welding a cog is one thing but JB welding a crank doesn't seem to be a great idea....it is a part of the bike that is under a lot of stress.
Old 02-19-09, 07:22 PM
jet sanchEz

Check out this thread for some neat photos: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=512579
Old 02-19-09, 07:37 PM
peabodypride
No plan.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
JB welding a cog is one thing but JB welding a crank doesn't seem to be a great idea....it is a part of the bike that is under a lot of stress.
You're misunderstanding. The hole in the chainring is too ovalized and now the crank slips in it a bit. It might get worse but certainly not bad enough to fail (unless the chainring folds, which would be unrelated).

What I'm saying is the JB Weld will probably loose bondage on the second or third application of backpressure. It's just not designed for that application.
Old 02-19-09, 07:52 PM
jakerock
helmet brake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK fellas, not arguing with you, just making sure that we are all on the same page here...
Judging by some of the answers / comments in this thread I am not sure that we are all talking about the same thing.

PROBLEM:
On my one piece crank, the drive pin is smaller than the drive pin hole, resulting in slight "slack" (movement) when decelerating / skidding.

MY SOLUTION:
Filling in the gap with JB weld, thereby closing this gap and eliminating the slight movement.

MY COMMENT:
I am not REPAIRING the crank, or sprocket with JB WELD

FINAL QUESTION:
Are you guys saying that I will lose all of my teeth from using a one piece crank on a fixed gear bicycle because they are known to fail in this application?

Thank you very much for your patience with me on this...

-Jake
Old 02-19-09, 08:15 PM
jet sanchEz

Originally Posted by peabodypride
You're misunderstanding. The hole in the chainring is too ovalized and now the crank slips in it a bit. It might get worse but certainly not bad enough to fail (unless the chainring folds, which would be unrelated).

What I'm saying is the JB Weld will probably loose bondage on the second or third application of backpressure. It's just not designed for that application.
No, I go it, I just think that, as a whole, the thing is pretty sketchy. I've ridden plenty of 1-piece cranks and even had a problem similar to the one that the OP is having but I had brakes in the front and rear so it didn't matter. 1-piece cranks are junk and are crafted out of cheap metal because they are not meant to bear an undue amount of stress....the OP is putting an undue amount of stress on them. I hope he is running a front brake, that is all.
Old 02-19-09, 10:36 PM
ianjk
:)

Bikes: '07 Pista, '09 Fantom Cross Uno, '8? Miyata, '67 Stingray, '0? Zoo mod trials, Tallbike, Chopper, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '67 Triumph Chopper, '69 CB350, '58 BSA Spitfire, '73 CB450

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
On my old beater, I just dealt with it. I cranked down the lockring/race that holds the chainring on really well and called it good to go. Short of welding/shimming, there isn't really an easy solution. I could have welded it (have a welder) but just got used to it.
Old 02-20-09, 12:11 AM
shecky

Bikes: Rustbuckets, the lot of them.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, I go it, I just think that, as a whole, the thing is pretty sketchy. I've ridden plenty of 1-piece cranks and even had a problem similar to the one that the OP is having but I had brakes in the front and rear so it didn't matter. 1-piece cranks are junk and are crafted out of cheap metal because they are not meant to bear an undue amount of stress....the OP is putting an undue amount of stress on them. I hope he is running a front brake, that is all.
Absolute nonsense. One piece cranks like the one pictures are made out of cheap metal. That's because steel is cheap. However, they are about as durable as cranks get. The forged one piece cranks simply don't fail unless you're doing some crazy BMX stunts with them. BTW, one piece cranks are common on BMX bikes because they are cheap and strong. They do fine backpedaling, too. Consider, they are very common on coaster brake bikes, which require backpedaling in order to stop.

Jakerock, if it really bothers you, I would just spend a few bucks to get the pin tack welded to the hole on the sprocket, like EatMyA** suggests, presuming it's a steel chainring. It won't significantly weaken anything. No sense in spending the $$$ on three piece cranks unless you must cut about one pound, which is what you'd lose by going to aluminum cranks.

The only one piece cranks I would avoid are the ones that look like a S-shaped bent piece of rebar. These were usually reserved for the lowest end bikes. The drive pins on these are bonded on, not integrally forged like the one in the pic, running the risk of breaking off at inopportune times. And they are just kind of crappy all around.
Old 02-20-09, 01:29 AM
jakerock
helmet brake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was thinking about caving and buying a us / euro conversion BB and new cranks there for a second, but ultimately Im with Shecky on this.

I have owned / ridden alot of bikes and most of them have had 1 piece cranks...
In my BMX days there was a massive amount of skillful / unskillful, generally abusive riding / flying / crashing going on and I never even saw one of these things bend, nevermind break. I cant imagine that one, heavy, solid piece of forged steel being less hardy than a modern multi component crankset / BB.... Maybe not as "refined", but certainly as strong.

I cannot find ONE case of a real "horror story" about 1 piece cranks on this vast interweb. A whole lot of hearsay about three piece cranks being stronger and better, but not much of anything by way of evidence, or even stories. As far as the safety issue in using a 1 piece in the drivechain of a fixed gear bike... If the crank isnt bothered by all of the forward motion stomping and stress it has endured as a SS, it will not have any prob dealing with the occasional leg powered deceleration or skid involved in fixed riding.

My only complaint is the little bit of movement, which seems easily remedied by a shim or some kind of welding... The bike was cheap and having already spent much more on mods and upgrades than the bike originally cost, it is dialed in to my needs pretty nicely!

Im gonna make it work with the crank thats on there, as in my opinion the whole issue of safety seems unfounded!

Much respect and thanks to all who chimed in on this!!!
Ride safe...

Best, Jake

Last edited by jakerock; 02-20-09 at 01:40 AM.
Old 02-20-09, 11:29 AM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"

Bikes: to many to list

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 31 Posts
Dude, Take the thing apart, including the nut that holds the chainring down to the crank, give everything a GOOD cleaning, put the chainring in place, replace the nut that holds down the chainring (be sure to add some LockTite) be sure to get the pin centered in the pinhole, then take it down to the muffler shop and have the guy fill in the pin hole gap. Itll last for the rest of your life! Problem solved.
You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve

Last edited by ilikebikes; 02-20-09 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-20-09, 11:41 AM
arldavey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if its just the ring they are cheap clik this bunch on ebay

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.