Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Beach Cruisers - why do they exist?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-11, 06:23 PM
NukeouT

Bikes: 1996 LeMond Yellow Jersey, 2013 Soma Saga, 1980 Zebrakenko Wind, 1980 Nishiki Ultimate

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I just don't understand why so many people spend money on vintage and new ones to ride them around. I see a whole bunch, especially around the beach towns of LA.

Is there a reason/advantage to having one as opposed to any other type of bike: road, touring, fixie, mountain, ect. ?

My friend, who owns one, even told me the other day that his Beach Cruiser sucks at biking over sand. I just feel, that they are a fad, and people buy them to look cool in front of others. Most importantly, they are not efficient, and lead people to believe that cycling is hard in general. Therefore they don't ride their bikes enough, and are less likely to get more into cycling, or encourage their friends to do so.

This is just my current opinion based on what I know. I am starting this thread so I can better understand why these bikes exist and in such huge numbers. At the same time even though I don't understand it, I am still happy for those of you who ride cruisers, because that's already a step in the right direction and you are free to like what you like.
Likes For NukeouT:
Old 04-05-11, 06:32 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts

Waiting for Nightshade to spot this thread…
Old 04-05-11, 07:29 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
A lot of the appeal is simplicity. I started riding a few years ago on a mountain bike, but it was a $100 mountain bike from Academy. The brakes and shifters needed constant adjustment and never seemed to be working quite right. So my Worksman cruiser was an upgrade, and was actually a reliable bike that I could ride every single day.

Efficiency isn't too important for a lot of riding. Bicycing is always more efficient than walking, so why does anybody ever walk anywhere?
Old 04-05-11, 09:09 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Excuse me, but where can I find the Beach Cruiser forum?
Old 04-05-11, 09:50 PM
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by NukeouT
I just don't understand why so many people spend money on vintage and new ones to ride them around. I see a whole bunch, especially around the beach towns of LA.

Is there a reason/advantage to having one as opposed to any other type of bike: road, touring, fixie, mountain, ect. ?

My friend, who owns one, even told me the other day that his Beach Cruiser sucks at biking over sand. I just feel, that they are a fad, and people buy them to look cool in front of others. Most importantly, they are not efficient, and lead people to believe that cycling is hard in general. Therefore they don't ride their bikes enough, and are less likely to get more into cycling, or encourage their friends to do so.

This is just my current opinion based on what I know. I am starting this thread so I can better understand why these bikes exist and in such huge numbers. At the same time even though I don't understand it, I am still happy for those of you who ride cruisers, because that's already a step in the right direction and you are free to like what you like.
Originally Posted by tsl

Waiting for Nightshade to spot this thread…
It would be better if this tread were to be moved to https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ier-quot-forum where cruisers are discussed.

That said, the American Cruiser(beach cruiser is the wrong name for these bike dreamed up by some dope smoking California dude) is the first bicycle enjoyed by the general public and is the grand dad of all the other types of bicycles sold today. So let's show some respect for the Cruiser since has been around so long.

This type of cycle was designed when not all roads were paved. In fact, many were dirt or gravel since no bike does well in pure sand. Only a robust heavy cycle had a prayer of lasting on those old roads.

Cruisers are for relaxed easy riding while getting from point A to point B.....wherever point A and B are.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 04-05-11, 10:15 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Nightshade
the American Cruiser... is the grand dad of all the other types of bicycles sold today.
Incorrect.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 04-05-11, 10:21 PM
Commodus

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Cuz they're pretty, that's enough reason. It's okay to go slow if you look good doing it.
Old 04-06-11, 02:40 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Why does there need to be a reason/advantage to having different types of bicycles? I own all sorts of bicycles (although not a beach cruiser at this point in time) because I want to own all sorts of different bicycles ... and I can own all sorts of different bicycles.

I just feel, that they are a fad, and people buy them to look cool in front of others.
So?

Most importantly, they are not efficient, and lead people to believe that cycling is hard in general. Therefore they don't ride their bikes enough, and are less likely to get more into cycling, or encourage their friends to do so.
Do you have statistics to back up your opinons here?

In your opinion, what is "riding our bicycles enough"? What quantity of cycling is "enough"?

Why should people get more into cycling, or encourage their friends to do so? Why is that important?

What is the "right direction"? What type of bicycle should people have or what type of cycling should people be doing?
Likes For Machka:
Old 04-06-11, 02:48 AM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Cruisers are good because you can ride, eat an ice cream and still look cool.

When I lived by the coast I played with the idea of a true beach cruiser that could ride through surf. I think you could do it with carbon belt drive and nylon/teflon bearings with some fat ballon tyres.
On my tour of Denmark, the coastal bike path has a 17 mile section along the beach. This is hard-packed by all the cars using the beach and I managed it with a full camping load on 32mm tyres.
Old 04-06-11, 07:00 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
If you have to ask, you'll never understand.

That's what Harley riders say about riding Harleys anyway, and somehow it makes some kind of sense.
Old 04-06-11, 07:27 AM
bikem

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Because they are fun to ride. I have high end Road, mountian, cruiser and touring bike but my cruiser is my favorite and gets ridden the most.
Old 04-06-11, 11:15 AM
Flying Merkel

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Beach cruiser fill a need that no other bike does. They are better at slow speed pleasure riding than any other bike. Beach cruisers have cup holders, not water bottle brackets. I miss the one I pulled out of the dumpster a few years back. Just a delight to pull it out of the back yard and ride around the 'hood, to the liquor store, or even down to the beach. ALL bikes suck at riding sand.

Me and my my buddy were riding around San Clemente beach and a guy in his 7 series BMW with hot GF saw us go by, baskets loaded with beer & eats. Turned to his hot GF and told her, " THAT is cool". Right on dude- you got the point.

Attached is a picture of my Schwinn Jaguar performance cruiser. Mountain bike rims, seat and bars. Worked better than it should have. Only bike I've sold that i still miss.

What bike should would you have casual riders buy?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Schwinn Jaguar 1.jpg (98.8 KB, 589 views)

Last edited by Flying Merkel; 04-06-11 at 11:24 AM.
Old 04-06-11, 12:47 PM
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
Incorrect.
Please expand on just what is "incorrect"...............

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 04-06-11, 01:16 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4232 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,806 Posts
doohickie rides a highwheel?
Old 04-06-11, 06:23 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
That cruisers are the ancestors of all bikes? Get real.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Likes For Doohickie:
Old 04-06-11, 07:06 PM
bhop

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Jamis Sputnik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you ever ridden a beach cruiser? They are not difficult to ride at all.. for their intended purpose anyway.. and people that own them generally seem to know what they're getting into, not to mention they're usually not the types to really take cycling to the next level (from my experiences) they are generally more of the 'relaxed beach bum' type.(again, from my own experiences) I personally don't own one, and probably never will, but i've ridden them and if you're just "cruising" around, they're fine.
Old 04-06-11, 09:24 PM
FunkyStickman
On a Mission from God

Bikes: '10 Surly LHT, Rat-rod Klunker, '82 Peugeot PH12 Centennial

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
You know what they say, if you have to ask... you'll never know.

Bicycles are not always about being fast and efficient.
Old 04-06-11, 09:47 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
For one thing, beach cruisers are not intimidating. They are adult versions of children's bicycles of the '50s and '60s. And people remember their parents riding them.

I don't care for them. But my ex, that's all she wanted. She could relate to them.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 04-07-11, 05:20 AM
steve0257

Bikes: Raleigh Port Townsend, Raleigh Tourist

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I ride for enjoyment and relaxation. I don't really care about high performance this or that. Cruisers can be a lot of fun to ride for shorter relatively flat rides.
Old 04-08-11, 10:12 PM
e-Man
n00b

Bikes: 2004 GT Avalanche 3.0 with various upgrades, and a 1980's Murray Monterey Beach Cruiser I customized.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got mine because it was easy to bring back from the dead and customize. It might not be the lightest, most technologically advanced thing out there, but I pieced it all together, painted it, and modified lights for it all by my lonesome. I get a sense of satisfaction when I take it out for a spin. Like others have said, its a very simplistic design, and hard to put into any further words why I enjoy it so much.
Old 04-09-11, 05:57 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
I just wish I had a beach.

More seriously, some people just want an easy bike for cruising around the subdivision. Nothing at all wrong w/that.

I'd probably have one, except that my neighborhood is sort of built on a hill. I can't go any direction from my house without having to go uphill either leaving or returning. So my neighborhood cruiser is a single-speed mountain bike with slick tires and geometry that works better than a beach cruiser on the hills.
Old 04-11-11, 04:39 AM
Cyclist0084

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by Commodus
Cuz they're pretty, that's enough reason. It's okay to go slow if you look good doing it.
+1

Old 04-11-11, 02:16 PM
rnorris

Bikes: Marin Pt. Reyes, Gary Fisher HiFi Pro, Easy Racers Gold Rush recumbent, Cannondale F600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My neighborhoods are likewise too hilly for a singlespeed to be of much use for my aging knees, but was sure wishing I had one last week. I took my 15 year old cousin on a seaside camping trip and both of us had our beater MTBs with us. This particular park has trails and an almost 2 mile long surf beach, it was pure joy to blast along at the water's edge spraying foam from under the wheels, jumping logs. Cleaning the bikes afterward was less fun, I was wishing we had simpler bikes with no external brakes or cabling for that trip. Actually, a balloon tired kickback 2 speed bike with coaster brake would have been ideal.
Old 04-11-11, 03:02 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Do they make carbon fiber beach cruisers that have road wheel spacing? Thinking of putting my spare chinese carbon wheels on one.
Old 04-11-11, 03:07 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
They are also a fine choice for short, flat commutes, grocery runs, or pub/cafe hopping. Which explains why it's the most popular style of bike in Sactown.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.