Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Help......needed on choosing new bike

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 12-16-13, 11:25 AM
drturf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, I have bit of a dilemma. For the last month I have been struggling with what bike to purchase. The choice is between:
1. Specialized Crosstrail Pro Disk
and
2. Specialized Tricross Comp

I am 6'4", 200lbs, relatively good shape and I use riding a bike for fitness, enjoying the outdoors and just something fun to do. Primarily, on asphalt and hard packed bike paths, country roads with lots of hilly terrain, narrow roads that I could be forced onto the gravel shoulder and some off road trails (not hard rides at all). Most rides and under 20 miles and I never go overnight.

One day I think the Tricross is the way to go then I'm afraid it will not handle the country roads and gravel. Then the next day I lean towards the Crosstrail. I think the components on the Crosstrail are better but the geometry on the Tricross is better. Whew decision, decisions......

What are your opinions out there? I need help.
Old 12-16-13, 03:29 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
The Tricross will definitely handle country roads and gravel. The Crosstrail does come with good components (except the unnecessary suspension fork) , but the Tricross spec is pretty good. Do you prefer drop bars or flat bars? That is the biggest difference.
Wild card option, wait for the AWOL.
Old 12-16-13, 03:39 PM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Tricross would get my vote.

Heck, it's Christmas. Get 'em both.

Old 12-16-13, 04:20 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Are those your only two choices? No other bike brands or models being considered?

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 12-16-13, 04:34 PM
drturf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
Are those your only two choices? No other bike brands or models being considered?
Nope, open to suggestions. Looking around the $2000.00 mark.
Old 12-16-13, 04:36 PM
drturf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
The Tricross will definitely handle country roads and gravel. The Crosstrail does come with good components (except the unnecessary suspension fork) , but the Tricross spec is pretty good. Do you prefer drop bars or flat bars? That is the biggest difference.
Wild card option, wait for the AWOL.
interesting you mention the AWOL. One dealer was pushing it over the Tricross but I thought the components were not as good. I could adjust to either flat or drop, as I have had both over the years.
yeah, I hate the suspension fork but it can be locked out.
Old 12-16-13, 05:56 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,314 Times in 2,700 Posts
If you plan to ever do longer rides you will appreciate the multiple hand positions of drop bars. Also, I think the weight and complication of a suspension fork and disc brakes would not be needed.
Old 12-16-13, 07:45 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Originally Posted by drturf
interesting you mention the AWOL. One dealer was pushing it over the Tricross but I thought the components were not as good. I could adjust to either flat or drop, as I have had both over the years.
AWOL Comp has the same SRAM Apex components as the Tricross Comp except the X9 rear derailleur on the AWOL is higher spec than the Apex on the Tricross. AWOL has wider gearing range, taller head tube and wider tire capacity, not to mention the steel frame.

I'm a little biased as I'm planning to build up an AWOL frame as a gravel road touring bike as soon as they are available (probably within a month.
Old 12-16-13, 08:03 PM
drturf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
AWOL Comp has the same SRAM Apex components as the Tricross Comp except the X9 rear derailleur on the AWOL is higher spec than the Apex on the Tricross. AWOL has wider gearing range, taller head tube and wider tire capacity, not to mention the steel frame.

I'm a little biased as I'm planning to build up an AWOL frame as a gravel road touring bike as soon as they are available (probably within a month.
I don't think you are showing any bias but pointing out some of the concerns I had. Now this is tweaking my interest. Being a steel frame doesn't that make the bike heavier? Also, with the head tube being taller, would you have a more upright position?
Any concerns about not having the secondary brake levers like the Tricross?

Last edited by drturf; 12-16-13 at 08:43 PM.
Old 12-16-13, 10:03 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

I don't think you are showing any bias but pointing out some of the concerns I had. Now this is tweaking my interest. Being a steel frame doesn't that make the bike heavier? Also, with the head tube being taller, would you have a more upright position?
Any concerns about not having the secondary brake levers like the Tricross?
Steel frames tend to be a little heavier than aluminum frames of similar quality but they also tend to respond better to the bumps and vibrations of rough roads and gravel. The AWOL Comp frame's main tubes are made from Reynolds 725 which can get the required strength and stiffness from thinner (lighter) tubing than cheaper 4130 chromoly or Reynolds 520, so the weight difference should be minimized while the ride quality difference should be enhanced.

Yes, the taller head tube would make it easier to run the handlebars higher without resorting to a big stack of spacers or a stem with a sharply rising angle. This is an advantage if, like me, you like the bars near saddle level. If you prefer lower bars, it could be a drawback.

Not having secondary brake levers would save me from having to remove them if were my bike. I don't really see the point of them and think they reenforce bad habits, but that's just my opinion. If you really want them on a bike that doesn't have them, they are pretty cheap and can be added.
Old 12-16-13, 10:14 PM
Slackerprince
Redefining Lazy

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Synapse 5 105, 2013 Giant Escape 3

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you're going to be doing, primarily, road riding, I would suggest a hybrid like the Trek FX, Spesh Sirrus, Giant Escape or C'Dale Quick.
If you're even considering locking out the forks, I wouldn't even hassle with a suspension fork bike.
If you have just small amounts of gravel or rough to go through, a hybrid with a carbon fork and/or seatstays will work for you. Just get some 28 or 32 tires with flat protection.
Happy shopping!

S
Old 12-17-13, 07:44 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Slackerprince
If you're going to be doing, primarily, road riding, I would suggest a hybrid like the Trek FX, Spesh Sirrus, Giant Escape or C'Dale Quick.
If you're even considering locking out the forks, I wouldn't even hassle with a suspension fork bike.
If you have just small amounts of gravel or rough to go through, a hybrid with a carbon fork and/or seatstays will work for you. Just get some 28 or 32 tires with flat protection.
Happy shopping!

S
My last shopping experience (many moons ago) - there were no hybrids, etc., without front suspension.
Old 12-17-13, 08:45 AM
drturf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Steel frames tend to be a little heavier than aluminum frames of similar quality but they also tend to respond better to the bumps and vibrations of rough roads and gravel. The AWOL Comp frame's main tubes are made from Reynolds 725 which can get the required strength and stiffness from thinner (lighter) tubing than cheaper 4130 chromoly or Reynolds 520, so the weight difference should be minimized while the ride quality difference should be enhanced.

Yes, the taller head tube would make it easier to run the handlebars higher without resorting to a big stack of spacers or a stem with a sharply rising angle. This is an advantage if, like me, you like the bars near saddle level. If you prefer lower bars, it could be a drawback.

Not having secondary brake levers would save me from having to remove them if were my bike. I don't really see the point of them and think they reenforce bad habits, but that's just my opinion. If you really want them on a bike that doesn't have them, they are pretty cheap and can be added.
Excellent point on the secondary brakes........they do cause bad habits.
Any concerns re: the exposed cables? I've never had cables exposed before so my thought were mud, dirt, etc effecting them.

I am really leaning now to the AWOL Comp as you've answered my concerns vs the Tricross and from the sounds of it here the Crosstrail would be a waste with the suspension and extra weight caused by it.
Old 12-17-13, 08:47 AM
drturf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
My last shopping experience (many moons ago) - there were no hybrids, etc., without front suspension.
Yeah, I have to agree, I haven't found any hybrids without suspension forks. Anyone?
Old 12-17-13, 09:38 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Excellent point on the secondary brakes........they do cause bad habits.
Any concerns re: the exposed cables? I've never had cables exposed before so my thought were mud, dirt, etc effecting them.

I am really leaning now to the AWOL Comp as you've answered my concerns vs the Tricross and from the sounds of it here the Crosstrail would be a waste with the suspension and extra weight caused by it.
Glad to offer my opinions, but make sure you get the bike you want, not what I or anyone else on a forum would buy.

The only problem I have had with exposed cable is a little extra cleaning and lubing care and more frequent replacement of cables and housing. Not a biggie for me, but YMMV. But looking closely at the photo on the Specialized website, it appears they are running full length housing on all the cables, so it is a moot point.
Old 12-17-13, 10:21 AM
Slackerprince
Redefining Lazy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I have to agree, I haven't found any hybrids without suspension forks. Anyone?
All of the bikes I listed, the C'Dale Quick, Specialized Sirrus, Giant Escape and Trek FX do NOT have suspension forks.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/town/fitness/fx/

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/fitness/sirrus

https://www.cannondale.com/catalog/ca...-quick/id/953/

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...0/14810/66190/

S
Old 12-17-13, 10:27 AM
drturf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Slackerprince
Opps, I should have taken a look at your suggestions before opening my yap. Thanks for this.
Old 12-17-13, 10:36 AM
NOS88

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I think BluesDawg is on to something. It might be worth waiting to see the AWOL. I wouldn't let the taller head tube worry me too much. You can always get a different stem and "flip it and slam it".
Old 12-17-13, 10:58 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Depends on what you mean by hybrid. The Specialized Sirrus, for example is basically a flat bar road bike. The carbon models actually use Roubaix frames. Great bikes if 28mm tires are all you need.
Old 12-17-13, 11:07 PM
Slackerprince
Redefining Lazy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Opps, I should have taken a look at your suggestions before opening my yap. Thanks for this.
No worries.
FWIW, I've had a Sirrus Comp and it was a great bike.
I have a Giant Escape and it's a good bike, too.
The bike I ride the most is my C'Dale Synapse. I use the Escape for when I go on rides with my son or wife. It's a great neighborhood bike and I ride it up to the gym, as well. It's set-up with Shimano dual pedals, so I can clip-in or use the platform on the other side.
Both the Sirrus and the Giant are fast bikes, and these are the fastest bikes you can get before going to a road bike.
Good luck with your choice.

S
Old 12-18-13, 07:45 AM
kris7047th

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Dolce Sport Compact, .. Novara 2013 Madrona 29'er, Trek 520 2012, Surly Pugsley fatbike 2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depending on what the road conditions and if you desire to continue to ride through the winter (assuming you live in a colder state) I'd go with your first choice because of the disc brakes.

My town just had 10" of snow dumped om us last Saturday and that has put a damper on our group ride. I too was thinking of a cyclocross type bike, fatter tires and definitely the disc brakes but a speedier, lighter weight bike than my mt bike 29'er so I can keep up with the faster riders for the winter months. But after this last storm .. I am looking to a fat bike instead. I suspect we are in for a snowy winter and I don't want to be stuck inside on my trainer all winter. Last year we didn't get much snow, had rain instead .. but I see the writing on the wall
Old 12-18-13, 08:10 AM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Just got around to looking at Dawg's link to the AWOL. If I were buying a new bike, I'd give that a long look.

Old 12-18-13, 08:33 AM
drturf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
Just got around to looking at Dawg's link to the AWOL. If I were buying a new bike, I'd give that a long look.
Hey, thanks Dudel.......I've just asked my LBS for a quote and availability.......
Old 12-18-13, 11:03 AM
dannwilliams
Its only pain

Bikes: '18 Salsa Marrakesh, '14 Salsa Colossal, '89 GT Timberline

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I think the Kona Rove falls into this category of bike well. https://www.konaworld.com/rove.cfm Looks to me like a great gravel road bike, capable of light touring as well. I'd call it an all-rounder. The picture has the stem slammed, but if the steerer tube is left uncut, the bars could be raised a bit if desired.
Old 12-18-13, 11:43 AM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
As some have suggested you might want to look at a hybrid as they can be either road or Mtn based. My wife and I purchased a couple of Giant Escape RX0s last January and have over 8,000 miles on them so far. They are road based flat bar bikes using 105 bits and pieces. You can read a little about them on this thread in the hybrid forum. https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...nt-Escape-RX-0 if you are interested. Giant replaced the RX0 for my2014 with a carbon framed hybrid that looks quite good. I'd have one but the component level is one below the 105's. bummer. Look luck with what ever bike you choose. The main thing is to enjoy the RIDE

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.