Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Interesting car-free man

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Interesting car-free man

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-16, 08:15 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Ekdog
I'm guessing, many of your friends -- think advertising doesn't "work" is that they think advertisements are trying to make them do something immediately.
When I purchased a 1962 Falcon Squire wagon in 1994, I remembered this ad.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 02-02-16, 08:57 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
The only bicycle that I remember that had a huge budget for advertising was the Landrider. A cheap auto-shifting bike company that's still in business. They are even making road bikes now!

Too bad there's no marketing out there for the carfree lifestyle or bicycles.
There are bicycle and bicycle-related ads on TV all the time down here.
Old 02-02-16, 09:17 PM
doublegg66

Bikes: 2015 gravity bullseye monster fatbike,2013 salsa vaya. 90's diamondback MTB,84 univega.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I agree to a point,use the car less,and if I was in a place where it was feasible,i would most definitely cycle all the time.But I also depend on cars for my living(auto tech) and vehicles have provided for my family for almost 30 years now.kinda a catch 22.
Old 02-02-16, 10:33 PM
loky1179

Bikes: 2x Bianchi, 2x Specialized, 3x Schwinns

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
There were a couple of comments made in this video that just jump out, like "I think it's important to not let anybody else do your thinking for you"
Count me as another person who is totally immune to advertising.

For example, I bought my Saturn strictly because it had plastic body panels - no rust! Important in Minnesota. It also seemed like it was a different kind of car company. A different kind of car.

I bought my Trek because it was handmade in Wisconsin, and the tubing was silver soldered. That was important to me at the time because . . well, because every 15 year old knows that is important. Duh.

I like Heinz ketchup because it's sloow good!

I chew Trident gum - pretty sensible, 4 out of 5 dentists recommend sugarless gum for their patients who chew gum.

I always buy band-aid brand adhesive bandages. I think they stick better. You could say I'm stuck on Band-aid 'cause Band-aid's stuck on me.

I prefer Burger King over McDonalds. Sometimes I have them hold the pickles, sometimes I have them hold the lettuce. The special orders don't upset us (them).

I've used State Farm insurance for 25 years. Even though my agent is way on the other side of town, like a good neighbor, State Farm is there.

I don't usually eat breakfast cereal, but sometimes I'll pick up a box of Frosted Flakes. I just think they're Great!!

Well, I better hit the hay. Think I'll have some tea - but not Lipton's - that's too brisk. Celestial Seasonings Sleepytime Tea for me tonight!
Old 02-03-16, 02:24 PM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Is loky sowing mischief?
Old 02-03-16, 02:42 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by enigmaT120
Is loky sowing mischief?
Nope, just showing that he can remember or look up advertising jingles and slogans.
Old 02-03-16, 07:04 PM
loky1179

Originally Posted by enigmaT120
Is loky sowing mischief?
Not at all! Like any immunity, immunity to marketing and advertising comes from surviving exposure to the pathogen. I gained immunity to smallpox via a vaccination; I have a small permanent scar on my arm as a result.

Since they have not yet developed a vaccination to protect against advertising, immunity must be built up by exposure to the real thing in the wild. Naturally, the scars you develop are more severe and extensive. Instead of a small mark on my arm, I have countless marketing slogans and ad jingles burned into my neural pathways. Every bit as permanent as the smallpox scar.
Old 02-03-16, 09:27 PM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by loky1179
Not at all! Like any immunity, immunity to marketing and advertising comes from surviving exposure to the pathogen. I gained immunity to smallpox via a vaccination; I have a small permanent scar on my arm as a result.

Since they have not yet developed a vaccination to protect against advertising, immunity must be built up by exposure to the real thing in the wild. Naturally, the scars you develop are more severe and extensive. Instead of a small mark on my arm, I have countless marketing slogans and ad jingles burned into my neural pathways. Every bit as permanent as the smallpox scar.
Enjoying your posts. Keep 'em coming, please.
Old 02-04-16, 10:54 AM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 87 Posts
Never thought about it that way ..permanent scars on nueral pathways!!!
Old 02-04-16, 05:25 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So when an advertiser makes their product known to the world and suggests ways it might enhance your life that creates a "scar"? Does it not also sometimes educate you on a product that will enhance your life in a worthwhile manner?
Old 02-05-16, 03:00 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Walter S
So when an advertiser makes their product known to the world and suggests ways it might enhance your life that creates a "scar"? Does it not also sometimes educate you on a product that will enhance your life in a worthwhile manner?
It presents you with an option.

You can ignore it, file it away for future reference, or follow up on that option or others like it.

For example, an ad for ride-on lawn mowers just came on. That's an ignore for us because we don't have enough lawn on which to use a ride-on lawn mower.

However, an ad for vacuum cleaner bags might be a file away for future reference item. We don't need them right now, but it is good to know where we might be able to get them when we do need them.

And an ad for the next race at the local Speedway might be something we'll follow up on because we like going to the Sprintcar events.
Old 02-05-16, 08:37 AM
loky1179

Originally Posted by Machka

You can ignore it, file it away for future reference, or follow up on that option or others like it.
Your brain must work differently than mine.

"Winston tastes good, like a cigarette should!" That one has been filed away in my brain since the 1960s, back when it was still legal to advertise cigarettes on TV.

Though I guess if I decide to take up smoking, I won't have to give my choice of brand a second thought.
Old 02-07-16, 01:59 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Well, obviously they don't spend billions of dollars on advertisements because they don't work. I believe the people who think they're immune to ads are actually the most gullible. As for a useful commercial, I can't remember ever seeing one of those!

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 02-07-16, 02:01 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by Machka
For example, an ad for ride-on lawn mowers...
...And an ad for the next race at the local Speedway might be something we'll follow up on because we like going to the Sprintcar events.
I think this is the one who is trying to sow mischief!

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 02-07-16, 03:44 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Roody
I think this is the one who is trying to sow mischief!
No, not at all. I have been car light most of my life. I have been car free for a number of years. But I still like cars and car races.
Old 02-12-16, 04:36 AM
heywood

Bikes: 2013 Brodie Section 8 , 2014 Easy Motion Neo City e-bike

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ekdog
I hadn't thought about the fact that they're seeing fewer car ads, but now that you've pointed it out, it makes a lot of sense. Anyone who's gone to university in recent years is also likely to be up to his ears in debt, which is another factor to consider. Many young people can't afford to buy a car.
I live with 2 twenty somethings..that is exactly the reason. When i was there age, late 1970's early '80s i could have a regular job, rent a place, buy a used car..no problem. Government subsidised most of my tuition (and tuition wasn't that expensive).. My 21 year old room mate & her boyfriend and there friends are so saddled with debt when they do drive it's friends or relatives cars.. to them it's living expenses before automobiles...renting them is cheaper. They could afford the car, but licensing, insurance, etc..just way too expensive compared to my youth.
Old 02-14-16, 01:56 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by rossiny
So u really feel there is a substitute for a car in our current civilization , architecture is built up to match cars and roads. bus service is silly. I cant tell u how empty the buses are and how little they run in the city where I live. Why not have vans that run more frequently.?? I don't know why but when I start thinking and typing I just feel humans are doomed,, like moths to a flame, or at least like moths who keep bumping in to the porch light!!!???
Are the buses running infrequently because they don't have many passengers? More likely, it's the other way around: they don't have many passengers because they run too infrequently.

AFAIK, every city that has good bus service has plenty of passengers who want to use it. But weirdly, if the buses are slow, inconvenient, or unreliable, not very many people will want to use them.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 02-14-16, 01:58 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by corrado33
The ironic thing is that the only reason I really ever drive my car is to go get groceries every week. (But then again, I generally buy more that what will fit on my trailer.) I bike for everything else.
Have you thought about shopping twice a week? If you really want to be carfree, there might need to be tiny adjustments in one's old habits.

Also, I'm thinking you must have a large family if you can't fit a week's worth of groceries in a trailer. Do other family members do their share in helping you to get the groceries?

"Think Outside the Cage"