Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Are expensive helmets worth it?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Are expensive helmets worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-17, 02:22 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by dougphoto
I doubt expensive helmets are much safer but they are going to be better vented and more aero.
Probably more comfortable too.
Old 03-15-17, 02:23 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM
...and that cannot be discussed around here.
Over the line?
Old 03-15-17, 02:25 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Over the line?
Mark it zero.
Old 03-15-17, 02:36 PM
floridamtb

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6, Trek Madone 4.5, Trek X-Caliber

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
I have a $225 Specialized Prevail Helmet, a $160 Specialized S3 helmet and a $110 Specialized Propero II helmet. My favorite. the most comfortable to me? The $110 Propero II. All are extremely well ventilated and yes the more expensive ones may be a few grams (i.e. a gel pack or 2) lighter but I notice no difference and since it's more comfortable I couldn't care less about the weight difference. And FWIW, I tried the $200 Kask Mojito, not impressed, the strap is stiff and the retention system in back is bulky and not comfortable.
Old 03-15-17, 02:41 PM
dougphoto

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Probably more comfortable too.
probably, and much more comfortable than the exploding helmets
Old 03-15-17, 02:43 PM
WhyFi

The most important, valuable feature of a helmet is how much it doesn't make your head look like a mushroom. I would pay $300 for a helmet with a Mushroom Factor of 0, but I haven't found one for my noggin yet.
Old 03-15-17, 02:57 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
A Cannondale Supersix Evo Disc Ultegra costs $3000 (MSRP).
Cannondale sells another version of this bike that costs $6000. The Supersix Evo Hi-Mod Disc Ultegra Di2.

The differences between the two bikes are:
$6k bike - Carbon frame and fork are lighter
$6k bike - upgrade to electronic DI2 shifting
$6k bike - lighter crankset
$6k bike - lighter wheelset
$6k bike - upgraded chain, rear cog
$6k bike - lighter handlebar, stem, seat post and headset
$6k bike - lighter bar tape (yup)

Those are all things that the owner of a $6,000 bike can point to as "generally an obvious performance upgrade" over the $3,000 version of the same bike.
Yes, the owner can "point to" these things but they don't provide any real world benefit to the typical owner.

None of these is really going to make the owner "faster" or mean the bike or parts will "last longer".

The value is mostly bragging that their bike is "better".

Given that it's $3,000 rather than $150 more, of course marketers have to provide "better" reasons to spend so much more.

Originally Posted by msu2001la
Lets look at helmets:
Bell Image R Helmet = $45
Bell Star Pro Race Helmet = $239

The $49 helmet has more vents. The weight difference between the two is 8 grams. Neither has MIPS (whatever that is). Other than looks, style and fit... there's absolutely nothing about the 5x more expensive helmet that someone can point to as a "generally obvious performance upgrade".
The value is mostly bragging that their helmet is "better".

The "Star Pro Race" helmet apparently has vents that can be closed (to make it more aerodynamic). It's probably a poor choice if you want lots of airflow. It's a specialty item (not something people would normally choose).

===========================

In any case, it's likely very few people who buy $6,000 bikes who would also buy a $50 helmet.

Last edited by njkayaker; 03-15-17 at 04:51 PM.
Old 03-15-17, 03:30 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
The most important, valuable feature of a helmet is how much it doesn't make your head look like a mushroom. I would pay $300 for a helmet with a Mushroom Factor of 0, but I haven't found one for my noggin yet.
That's exactly it. Cheap helmets are made so you look like a short track speed skater. Just like Shimano forgets to mill out all that extra aluminum on their heavier/cheaper groupsets. Manufacturing costs are probably very similar in both cases, but who else, if not cycling enthusiasts, will pay for "upgraded" stuff?
Old 03-15-17, 04:46 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
Coming from motorcycles and wearing full face helmets, I find this thread pretty amusing. The last moto helmet I bought was Carbon fiber and I loved how light it was, which was 6.3 pounds. Honestly I don't even feel my Giro bike helmet. And as far as ventilation goes, any bike helmet is orders of magnitude better than the best moto helmet.

Now the cost issue is a different story. My CF moto helmet listed for around $400 and included a polarized face shield, and carry bag. It's hard to imagine paying that kind of money for a bike helmet.

Having said that, worth is a personal thing. If you spend x amount of money and are happy, then it's worth it.
Old 03-15-17, 05:01 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
That would justify the slightly higher price to me, and make it harder to justify the $150+ helmets that OP is concerned about if MIPS is no longer exclusive to that price range.

While it's not "proven" that MIPS helps anything, it's dead certain that rotational injury is a problem for TBI and very plausible that MIPS reduces the angular acceleration. So I have no qualms about taking it on face value.
Maybe.. but it's been reported that MIPS helmets have in the instructions (who reads those, right?) not to wear with hat/liner underneath. What season are we in? That's a non-starter for me, who prefers a liner even in summer for sun protection.
Old 03-15-17, 05:45 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
I wish bicycle helmets came in cool designs like motorcycle helmets. Most of them are garish, but you find a nice one once in a while. Bicycle helmets are all dull.
Old 03-15-17, 05:54 PM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I present, The Doctor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Rossi-FaceJPG-w.jpg (93.9 KB, 180 views)

Last edited by Scarbo; 03-15-17 at 08:43 PM.
Old 03-15-17, 05:57 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by PepeM
I wish bicycle helmets came in cool designs like motorcycle helmets. Most of them are garish, but you find a nice one once in a while. Bicycle helmets are all dull.
I'm sure that you can find someone in StL that has airbrush skillz.
Old 03-15-17, 05:57 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by zymphad

But helmets? If the $45 helmet exceeds safety requirements, some even having that questionable MiPS. What's the argument for $400 helmet? Is it just fashion or are they actually safer? Are they that much well vented?
Maybe. I have a Louis Garneau Course helmet with better aerodynamics. It's quieter and still cools decently.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 03-15-17 at 06:01 PM.
Old 03-15-17, 06:01 PM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I like mine better, don't you?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
agv-pista-w.jpg (94.9 KB, 180 views)
Old 03-15-17, 08:13 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cthenn
Cheap helmets look incredibly dorky, on purpose. There is probably no real difference in making a compact, good looking helmet that costs $200+ or one that costs $50. You gotta pay to play.
Wow. Incorrect. Mold design and manufacturing process for a $200 helmet is much more complicated than for a $50 helmet. All that cool shaping is very expensive to build into a mold. Your bog standard $30-50 helmet is a two piece mold; top and bottom. The $200-400 helmets have into the 10+ piece molds with all sorts of inserts and internal structures.

In this thread, people are implying that by paying more, they being "tricked" into thinking they are paying for better protection. This cannot be established. What "standards" do is they fix the expectation. This is good in that it sets the expectation above a minimum level. It is bad because it disincentivizes innovation to move above the expectation.

So, short of taking performance data on a wide variety of helmets at all price points, with the CPSC standard in place, we simply don't know if you are able to pay for better protection or whether expensive helmets improve or worsen safety.

What we do know is more expensive helmets tend to be lighter, better ventilated, and/or more aerodynamic, while keeping to equivalent safety standards as less expensive helmets. If that's worth the extra cost, and it can be (a lightweight helmet is very nice), pay the price. If not, don't.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 03-15-17, 08:26 PM
lsberrios1 

Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To me it's all about looks and fanciness. I am not too concerned about protection as long as I look pro.

Tbh, bike helmets aren't great protection, seen enough crashes that ended up badly to the point that i wish they'd made a full face helmet. I'd rock a cool / light full face helmet
Old 03-15-17, 08:32 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
Yes, the owner can "point to" these things but they don't provide any real world benefit to the typical owner.
I've never paid $6000 for a bike (geez, my used CAAD10 frameset was $375), but lightness is a real world benefit. Some people have an almost ideological commitment to the idea that weight doesn't matter. But duh, of course it does. What real world benefit do you get from being so delusional?

On helmets, I've liked the expensive ones I've had better than the cheap ones. First expensive helmet was a Giro Atmos. After that, I've had three Lazer Z1s, because I'm a klutz and broke two. I don't think I would buy them at full price, to be fair. But gosh, they're light, and the Lazer matches my team kit so perfectly. If you can get a deal, they're amazing. If you can't, today's inexpensive helmets are still pretty great.
Old 03-15-17, 08:32 PM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by lsberrios1
To me it's all about looks and fanciness. I am not too concerned about protection as long as I look pro.

Tbh, bike helmets aren't great protection, seen enough crashes that ended up badly to the point that i wish they'd made a full face helmet. I'd rock a cool / light full face helmet

Whoa, I don't know if I can follow you there. It would have to be damned light and very well ventilated. It's funny that you should mention this because as I've been fixing up and riding these old bikes I've kind of gone the other way--riding without a helmet for the sense of freedom that it confers (although I'd never do such a thing on my sportbike). I know. Dumb, dumb, dumb.
Old 03-15-17, 08:50 PM
lsberrios1 

Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scarbo
Whoa, I don't know if I can follow you there. It would have to be damned light and very well ventilated. It's funny that you should mention this because as I've been fixing up and riding these old bikes I've kind of gone the other way--riding without a helmet for the sense of freedom that it confers (although I'd never do such a thing on my sportbike). I know. Dumb, dumb, dumb.
So here is where I get confusing (not confused). I agree with the no helmet thing. If I wanted to go for a beautiful ride in the swiss alps and at my own leasurely pace I'd rock a cap and that's it.

However, for me I do mostly hard rides and races. I want a full face for those occassions. We must have the techonology to make a nice helmet that is light, breathes well and is safe. Problem is that this industry is driven by fad, and somebody using that would be seen as a total fred.

My ideal bike ride would be on an old italian bike with a baguette on my jersey, a bottle of wine on the top tube, a picnic basket full of ham and cheese and a cycling cap. No more.
Old 03-15-17, 08:54 PM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
So here is where I get confusing (not confused). I agree with the no helmet thing. If I wanted to go for a beautiful ride in the swiss alps and at my own leasurely pace I'd rock a cap and that's it.

However, for me I do mostly hard rides and races. I want a full face for those occassions. We must have the techonology to make a nice helmet that is light, breathes well and is safe. Problem is that this industry is driven by fad, and somebody using that would be seen as a total fred.

My ideal bike ride would be on an old italian bike with a baguette on my jersey, a bottle of wine on the top tube, a picnic basket full of ham and cheese and a cycling cap. No more.
I understand you perfectly. The devil is always in the details!
Old 03-15-17, 09:00 PM
GuitarBob
Kit doesn't match

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
somebody using that would be seen as a total fred.
A couple of months ago on one of our local climbs, I saw a guy rocking an s-works tarmac and a full-face helmet that matched his kit.
Old 03-16-17, 06:22 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby
I've never paid $6000 for a bike (geez, my used CAAD10 frameset was $375), but lightness is a real world benefit. Some people have an almost ideological commitment to the idea that weight doesn't matter. But duh, of course it does. What real world benefit do you get from being so delusional?

How much weight are you talking about? You don't say.

How much "real world" benefit are you talking about? You don't say.

How much lighter do you think a $6,000 bike weighs over a $3,000? You don't say.

The difference in weight is small. The real world benefit is very small. Spending an extra $3,000 doesn't make sense for most people.

Last edited by njkayaker; 03-16-17 at 06:29 AM.
Old 03-16-17, 06:45 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by GuitarBob
A couple of months ago on one of our local climbs, I saw a guy rocking an s-works tarmac and a full-face helmet that matched his kit.
I've looked for one specifically for high speed mountain descents on the road.

But I wouldn't really want full face on the ride up.

Some kind of convertible piece would be nice.
Old 03-16-17, 07:06 AM
silversx80

Bikes: Lynskey R240, 2013 CAAD10

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here's my take on the analogy between bike prices and helmet prices: it's a p**s poor analogy

My current main ride (which I'd call a race-worthy road bike), had I paid full retail, would have cost well in excess of 6,000 USD for the frame and all the *extra* equipment I have on it (bought in 2015). Compared to a $6K race bike it:
- Is not a full-carbon frame
- Does not have carbon wheels (hand-built wheels, though)
- Does not have carbon bars, stem, or seatpost
- Has a mechanical groupset
- Weighs nearly 8 kg
- Has a level of comfort that is leaps and bounds above any other bike I've owned, while being able to handle all the power I can muster through the pedals (and I'd say I'm well above average in that department).
- I've lost just as many races on this bike than my others
- The bike has the look I want, and the comfort I want, while sacrificing weight and aerodynamics for the former.
- Loved for everything it is

The bike that one replaced was roughly the same retail value and in 2010 was top-of-the-line carbon.
- Was 1 kg lighter
- More aero
- Still a mechanical groupset, but Di2 wasn't a thing reasonably priced at the time
- Stiffer for better power transfer (marginal, at best though)
- Still managed to lose races ad nauseam
- Loved for everything it was

At one point I had bought a CAAD10 which was:
- About the same weight as my current
- Marginally more aero than my current
- Marginally stiffer than my current
- Less comfortable than my current
- Not as pretty as my current
- Lost races on that one too
- Less than half the retail cost of the two above

The three bikes fit well, handled well, were functionally capable as bicycles, were able to handle all the power I could put through the pedals, and never left me feeling like it was the bike holding me back. My current bike is still my favorite, and I'd buy it again if it came to that... but probably with eTap.

When it comes to function of bikes, the laws of diminishing returns strike at a higher dollar amount than helmets. Furthermore, there are dozens of components on bikes that all add up to significant price jumps in the overall cost. The better analogy would likely be between tires and helmets, or groupsets and helmets. For example, I can get some top-of-the-line tubular race-tires which would run roughly $300+ for the pair, compared to a functional set of clinchers for as little as $40 for the set. For some, that higher cost is worth it for a marginal difference in weight, feel, and performance. For others, being round, pneumatic and vulcanized rubber to protect the rims and absorb road shock is all that's important. Each has their own valid reason, but both tires generally will function as tires.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.