Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Found cyclone kits...looks promising

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-08, 11:41 PM
Duracutter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

https://www.cyclone-tw.com/order.htm

Take a look at the neat install, kits come complete with freespin cranks and brushless motors!!

I ordered 2 1500watt kits

That will kick some butt and be way better than the tnc non geared 1000watt motor I've been working on.

Made in Taiwan is also a good thing, better quality I believe.

Old 10-11-08, 12:07 AM
wasp

Bikes: schwinn izip @ 55v

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Duracutter
https://www.cyclone-tw.com/order.htm

Take a look at the neat install, kits come complete with freespin cranks and brushless motors!!

I ordered 2 1500watt kits

That will kick some butt and be way better than the tnc non geared 1000watt motor I've been working on.

Made in Taiwan is also a good thing, better quality I believe.

how much that set you back
i really like that gold bike on that site...
Old 10-11-08, 12:56 AM
Duracutter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wasp
how much that set you back
i really like that gold bike on that site...
Yeah, I debated on ordering the 1500 watt bike but settled for 2 kits. I sort of pissed because of the lower canadian dollar. It cost me upwards of $300 xtra and it came to $1400 canadian with shipping.

Well, not much choice, these systems are well discussed and evaluated at Endless sphere.

A sample thread.

https://www.endless-sphere.com/forums...clone&start=15

I like the kit cause it comes with the freespin crank, one headache taken care of and the motors are brushless. I didn't order the batteries, I don't think they can be shipped across borders, I may be wrong in that assumption.

Old 10-11-08, 06:06 PM
RayB

Bikes: Civia Bryant, Tern Eclipse UNO, Brompton

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bearings in those cranks are not of the best quality. I have had to replace 3 of them and the bike only has about 100 kms on them. The latest one is on the verge of failing as well. I have been desperate in trying to find a work around with only options being to either have a proper machine shop rebuild the bearing with decent internals or to stick a bolt on sprocket onto my rear disc hub and flip the motor around to get it out of the chainline and away from having to use the freewheel chainring. I also resorted to using just a standard single with no freewheel but that forces you to peddle at all times the motor is engaged and is not the safest option.

Just saying keep an eye on it.
Old 10-12-08, 12:12 AM
Duracutter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RayB
The bearings in those cranks are not of the best quality. I have had to replace 3 of them and the bike only has about 100 kms on them. The latest one is on the verge of failing as well. I have been desperate in trying to find a work around with only options being to either have a proper machine shop rebuild the bearing with decent internals or to stick a bolt on sprocket onto my rear disc hub and flip the motor around to get it out of the chainline and away from having to use the freewheel chainring. I also resorted to using just a standard single with no freewheel but that forces you to peddle at all times the motor is engaged and is not the safest option.

Just saying keep an eye on it.
Thanks for the heads up. I'm sure it's not top quality. I guess there's probably a way to put a good bearing in there, it's just work...

I'm hoping whatever problems crop up that they are fixable.

How's the power and which cyclone did you buy?

Old 10-12-08, 12:08 PM
cerewa
put our Heads Together

Bikes: a mountain bike with a cargo box on the back and aero bars on the front. an old well-worn dahon folding bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a cyclone 500W, and unfortunately my controller broke twice. First time was due to abuse (accidentally got a lot of water in the motor without realizing it) and second time, I have no idea but I'm pretty sure it wasn't my fault.

Bought an R/C airplane (brushless sensorless) controller to see if that works, but I haven't tried it out yet.
Old 10-12-08, 07:26 PM
RayB

Bikes: Civia Bryant, Tern Eclipse UNO, Brompton

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am also using the 500W model. Other than the bearing it has been ok, just a bit fiddly which I guess is to be expected. But without a proper working bearing I have been without the unit mostly since I purchased it. 6 months now and 100kms is not a lot of use. I had originally wanted to use it for my commute which is 16 miles each way but that dream faded long ago.
Old 10-13-08, 02:53 PM
Duracutter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RayB
I am also using the 500W model. Other than the bearing it has been ok, just a bit fiddly which I guess is to be expected. But without a proper working bearing I have been without the unit mostly since I purchased it. 6 months now and 100kms is not a lot of use. I had originally wanted to use it for my commute which is 16 miles each way but that dream faded long ago.
I'm now waiting for the cyclone kit, but I've also ordered the clutch/sprocket that karma and luc used to make the crank freespin. Once I get all these, I'll know which one works best.

Keeping the original bearing that came with the bike might be best, and if it is, I'll ignore the one from cyclone. I've got a full shop in our business so welding the sprocket to the clutch should be doable.

Old 10-14-08, 01:54 PM
cerewa
put our Heads Together

Bikes: a mountain bike with a cargo box on the back and aero bars on the front. an old well-worn dahon folding bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Keeping the original bearing that came with the bike might be best, and if it is, I'll ignore the one from cyclone.
Perhaps you mean "keeping the original crank that came with the bike".

The bottom bracket axle (BB axle) that came with the bike will not work, and therefore if you have a cartridge bottom bracket you must replace it with a non-cartridge bottom bracket in order to accomodate the Cyclone axle, which is wider than a normal bicycle BB axle.
Old 10-14-08, 04:14 PM
Duracutter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cerewa
Perhaps you mean "keeping the original crank that came with the bike".

The bottom bracket axle (BB axle) that came with the bike will not work, and therefore if you have a cartridge bottom bracket you must replace it with a non-cartridge bottom bracket in order to accomodate the Cyclone axle, which is wider than a normal bicycle BB axle.
You're right, the bottom bracket is wider to keep the feet away from the motor. Until I get the setup in the mail and look at it, it's kind of hard to wrap my head around it 100%.

I've never taken a pedal setup apart and have no idea how it's setup exactly. I could pretend, but hey it's not my style...

I'm not sure how the bearing that is weak is made up, but I'll see once I have it in my hands.

I've ordered just the mounting kit from cyclone usa and the motor and kits are coming directly from taiwan. The usa store has no large motors, just the 360 and 500w I believe. Must be a small shop that is just starting to sell the cyclone.

Btw, how's that new rc controller working with the 500w? These motors are brushless so you may have some luck with other brushless controllers? Making the rc controller work seems to be a pita by what I've read on the forums so far. Let me know if anything develops that way.

Thanks for your time cerewa!

Last edited by Duracutter; 10-14-08 at 04:17 PM.
Old 10-14-08, 06:06 PM
cerewa
put our Heads Together

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bearings people have had trouble with are the ones that are built in to the chainring-freewheel. To my knowlege they are an integral part of the chainring-freewheel and you must replace the freewheel & freewheel-bearings together or not at all.

The thing I am calling the chainring-freewheel is what, in the standard cyclone setup, makes the connection between the right crank and the chainring.

Right crank = the thing that connects the B.B. axle to the chainring and to the right pedal.
chainring(s) = the gear(s) toward the front of the bike.
Old 10-14-08, 10:32 PM
luc59457

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have had some people come to me with problems on the

cyclones freewheel. www.youtube.com/luc59457/ if you

need some help...