Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

How can I get more speed?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-08, 10:58 AM
willkimbley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a 24v Synergy 7 speed ebike. I get around 17 mph unassisted, but only 18 mph with pedaling. What can I do to get more speed? (besides pedal harder) I can't afford a new kit right now, but I was wondering what to change the gearing ratios to so my pedaling is more effective. I have no clue about this. I tried reading some of the posts about this and looking at bike supply catalogs, but they usually used a lot of terms and lingo I have no clue about. Can anyone tell me in plain English what I am looking for?
Old 10-25-08, 11:02 AM
wasp

Bikes: schwinn izip @ 55v

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
more volts = more speed
check your controller first
and add say 6 volts and test
Old 10-25-08, 11:23 PM
Duracutter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by willkimbley
I have a 24v Synergy 7 speed ebike. I get around 17 mph unassisted, but only 18 mph with pedaling. What can I do to get more speed? (besides pedal harder) I can't afford a new kit right now, but I was wondering what to change the gearing ratios to so my pedaling is more effective. I have no clue about this. I tried reading some of the posts about this and looking at bike supply catalogs, but they usually used a lot of terms and lingo I have no clue about. Can anyone tell me in plain English what I am looking for?
Wasp is right, volts = speed. You can also go to your local bike shop and for about $30 you can change the cassette at the back to a 9speed. It should fit and will allow you to pedal more.

Another trick would be to add another sprocket to the front effectively giving you 14 speeds or 18 if you have a 9 speed cassette.

Old 11-08-08, 12:46 PM
Rideround
Rideround

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One issue you might have is that many electric bikes have governors in them restricting there top speed to below 20 mph. There is some federal law which makes it legal to use electric assist bikes that do not exceed 20 mph. If an electric assist bicycle can go faster than 20mph then it becomes classified as a motor vehicle and is regulated by the Department of Transportation which has different State laws.

What is peculiar is that without you pedaling you get 17 mph and then if you are pedaling and contributing energy you can only manage squeeze 1 more mph mile per hour out of the system which does not make sense if the electric motor is continues push you along beyond this point. I think that even if you get you’re a different pedaling gear set up to improve you pedaling efficiency at 20 mph you should expect to do all the work beyond this point.