Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Slow ride

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-23, 11:09 PM
Leftclique

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Slow ride

Hello,

I'm thinking about getting a bike. I have heart problems, need to exercise, and biking a few hours a week seems a lot more interesting than my boring exercise classes.

My neighborhood is unusual. One mile from downtown, heavy traffic, a few hills, deer, fox, ducks, coyotes, a creek, old railroad right-of-ways, shut-down factories, acres and acres of empty land.

If I go slow, can an ordinary bike handle a few rough spots? I wouldn't mind getting off and walking it up or down when necessary.
Old 11-17-23, 08:50 AM
JustaJoe

Bikes: 2022 Kona Dr. Dew, 2022 Specialized Vado

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 25 Posts
An ordinary bike should handle that fine. I would define ordinary in this case as a hybrid bike - flat or riser bars, relatively upright riding posture, at least some gears, maybe a front suspension fork? Don't know that a cruiser or road bike would be ideal, maybe even a basic MTB?
Old 11-17-23, 09:19 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 1,593 Times in 739 Posts
Yes, almost any bike can handle your terrain. Agreeing with Justa above, finding a comfortable bike is most important. The bike needs to fit you and have wider tires than our old 10 speeds.

This is a good forum with decent folks, and you can get a ton of help here. That being said, a good local bike shop would be super.
Old 11-17-23, 09:58 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,872 Times in 3,016 Posts
A gravel bike could be a good compromise. Or a hybrid if you prefer flat bars and a more upright position.
Old 11-17-23, 10:31 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
The "old railroad rights of way" clicked for me. What are we talking about here? Crossing one on a road (with or without rails?), or a rails-to-trails conversion? What's the surface like? One near me is pretty much horses and walkers only; they didn't do anything but pull up the rails and ties, and we're left with 2" ballast gravel. For something like that, I'd be looking at big, fat, wide tires -- 2" MTB tires and 2" gravel is pretty rough. On the other end of the spectrum, some rails-to-trails are paved with concrete or asphalt -- you can ride that on any bike. In between you have smaller gravel, packed down, and on these, you have to make a judgment call.
Old 11-17-23, 08:49 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Get yourself some Foghat. That will help you to slow ride and take it easy.
Likes For seypat:
Old 11-17-23, 08:58 PM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 266 Posts
Based on your post it is likely that after a couple of rides the bike you buy will wind up in a garage, shed, etc. gathering dust.
So if you must buy a bike buy a cheap one at a yard sale...considering how often you will ride it it will work fine and when it sits unused at least you won't be out much money.
Likely your medical people have told you to make changes in your lifestyle but since you're 'bored' by exercise class it is likely the advice won't be taken very seriously...
Likes For Kai Winters:
Old 11-17-23, 09:05 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
Originally Posted by Kai Winters
Likely your medical people have told you to make changes in your lifestyle but since you're 'bored' by exercise class it is likely the advice won't be taken very seriously...
Perhaps not. IMHO, the best exercise is the exercise one will enjoy doing. I know for me riding a bike beats the hell out of an exercise class.

I do agree with not spending a lot of money on a bike until it is determined that this is indeed the exercise the OP will do.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 11-18-23, 07:38 AM
Chuck Naill

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
I would encourage any form of riding as long as you can do so safely. I would visit some bike shops, go to several. If one listens and makes recommendations that take into account your concerns, then support them. Being outside is important. Getting the right equipment and clothing allows you to ride in most any type of conditions. Riding slow is lets you live in the present. It gives you time to think. Like a fly-fishing customer once said, his primary goal was to go, if he caught fish. If he caught fish he considered it a bonus,
Likes For Chuck Naill:
Old 11-18-23, 09:17 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,061 Times in 4,483 Posts
Originally Posted by Leftclique
Hello,

I'm thinking about getting a bike. I have heart problems, need to exercise, and biking a few hours a week seems a lot more interesting than my boring exercise classes.

My neighborhood is unusual. One mile from downtown, heavy traffic, a few hills, deer, fox, ducks, coyotes, a creek, old railroad right-of-ways, shut-down factories, acres and acres of empty land.

If I go slow, can an ordinary bike handle a few rough spots? I wouldn't mind getting off and walking it up or down when necessary.
An older rigid mountain bike can handle about anything. A hybrid would work. A flat bar gravel bike, a touring bike, or even a road bike will do.

Any idea on budget?
Old 11-18-23, 09:50 AM
picaf

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
agreed
Old 11-18-23, 09:16 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Hello,

We don't know what you mean by "ordinary" bike, but anything that is in good enough condition to be safe is an excellent place to start. Do the brakes work? Are the tires inflated? The chain isn't rusted to hell? OK then, get yourself a helmet (doesn't have to be fancy, but it's probably best to get a newish one rather than relying on something that's been aging in your garage for a decade), and go out and ride.
Old 11-18-23, 09:26 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 1,939 Times in 1,384 Posts
When I started road cycling again at 50, the first three bikes I bought were 80s 10 or 12 speed road bikes, costing $100-$200 each. The 2nd and 3rd bikes were each a little better, lighter, and more correctly sized and equipped for the riding I was doing. After a few years and the 3rd bike, I purchased my perfect new bike which I still have and ride 23 years later. That worked very well for me.
Old 11-18-23, 09:33 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,648 Times in 2,924 Posts
“Slow ride…take it easy”….

Your bike should be just fine.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-18-23, 09:48 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

To be clear, you don't need a NEW bike for this. Older and inexpensive bikes should be fine (with caveats that I posted already - in good enough condition to be safe)
Old 11-19-23, 07:39 AM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12195 Post(s)
Liked 1,497 Times in 1,109 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan

To be clear, you don't need a NEW bike for this. Older and inexpensive bikes should be fine (with caveats that I posted already - in good enough condition to be safe)
Depends.

I got this cheap hybrid, after a hiatus, and it was by far the worst bike I ever had.

Next year, I got a good bike, and cut an hour off the ride to Ft Popham. That's an hour off 16 miles...

Back in the 1970s, during the Bike Boom, Consumer Reports said that below a certain price, a bike wasn't going to be fun, and wouldn't get ridden. But above that point, you would find excuses to go ride. Nowadays, if you go much under a grand...

https://www.thegeekycyclist.com/best...es-under-1000/

Lastly, he could consider an ebike. I know it's a lot of money, but it's what I had to do after my cancer to be able to ride. He also should consider getting a bike rack, so he can get to where the riding is nice..
Old 11-19-23, 09:06 AM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
I always ride slow, but I keep riding. That’s all that counts to me. lol.
Old 11-19-23, 09:20 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked 1,444 Times in 993 Posts
If you just need to get some exercise maybe start out by going out for a half-hour of walking each day? Going when traffic is light on the roads to minimize traffic noise. As for a bicycle you could use a beach cruiser-style bike for some slow riding, no need for anything fancy. If you have hills in your area you could get one with multiple gears. Also learn to fix flats and change tires on a bike, they are part of riding a bicycle. You can minimize flats by using puncture-resistant tires (cost a little more but worth it to me).
Old 11-19-23, 10:43 AM
MinnMan

Originally Posted by late
Depends.

I got this cheap hybrid, after a hiatus, and it was by far the worst bike I ever had.

Next year, I got a good bike, and cut an hour off the ride to Ft Popham. That's an hour off 16 miles...

Back in the 1970s, during the Bike Boom, Consumer Reports said that below a certain price, a bike wasn't going to be fun, and wouldn't get ridden. But above that point, you would find excuses to go ride. Nowadays, if you go much under a grand...

https://www.thegeekycyclist.com/best...es-under-1000/

Lastly, he could consider an ebike. I know it's a lot of money, but it's what I had to do after my cancer to be able to ride. He also should consider getting a bike rack, so he can get to where the riding is nice..
Disagree. Not everybody needs to go over a significant price point to have a bike that you can enjoy riding.
Your anecdote about your personal experience doesn't lead to generalization.

More specifically to the OP's post, we have here somebody who wants to begin riding. IMHO, the encouragement should be of the type - yes, just get a bike and ride- not, no don't do it unless you first fork over a pile of cash.

In fact, your story proves my point. You got a lousy bike at first, but that was enough so that you kept riding and replaced it with a better bike. The key was that you started riding, not the quality of your bike.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 11-19-23, 10:52 AM
late

Originally Posted by MinnMan

Disagree. Not everybody needs to go over a significant price point to have a bike that you can enjoy riding.
Your anecdote about your personal experience doesn't lead to generalization.

More specifically to the OP's post, we have here somebody who wants to begin riding. IMHO, the encouragement should be of the type - yes, just get a bike and ride- not, no don't do it unless you first fork over a pile of cash.

In fact, your story proves my point. You got a lousy bike at first, but that was enough so that you kept riding and replaced it with a better bike. The key was that you started riding, not the quality of your bike.
My point was from Consumer Reports...

Before my hiatus, I rode decent bikes, Cannondale, Bridgestone.

My opinion, which I didn't say, is that you are buying a new way of living. One that will let you enjoy life more, and better. 2 or 3 grand for that is cheap. Dirt cheap, if you consider the cost of a lot of medical procedures that come about from a sedentary lifestyle.

So, if I was offering my opinion, spend $3k on a decent ebike. My wife has the Trek that costs about that much.
Old 11-19-23, 11:10 AM
MinnMan

Originally Posted by late
My point was from Consumer Reports...

Before my hiatus, I rode decent bikes, Cannondale, Bridgestone.

My opinion, which I didn't say, is that you are buying a new way of living. One that will let you enjoy life more, and better. 2 or 3 grand for that is cheap. Dirt cheap, if you consider the cost of a lot of medical procedures that come about from a sedentary lifestyle.

So, if I was offering my opinion, spend $3k on a decent ebike. My wife has the Trek that costs about that much.
You know, one's perspective on this changes. When I returned to riding in 2009, I bought an entry level steel road bike for $550. I thought that that was a fortune, and if you had insisted to me at the time that I needed to spend $2-3 k for an activity which I wasnt sure I would continue to pursue, I wouldn't have bought a bike at all. Soon after, I was hooked and bought a better bike.

The important point, in my opinion, is to make the threshold for entry low, so that people get started. After that, n+1 will be there for all those who get hooked.

Last edited by Hermes; 11-19-23 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Clean up
Old 11-19-23, 12:16 PM
late

Actually, the difficulty of getting wives riding adds to my argument. If he wants her to come along, he's going to have to provide her with something she wants to ride. I can tell you that's not always an easy thing to do.

Last edited by Hermes; 11-19-23 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Clean up
Old 11-19-23, 01:07 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1341 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
We have done some cleanup. I-Like-To-Bike please leave the thread. We have a new member looking for advice and we do not need your trolling / disruption without adding any value. Thank you.
Old 11-19-23, 01:13 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1341 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Leftclique Welcome to bike forums. We are sorry for having to disrupt your thread with edits. Please carry on.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 11-21-23, 07:00 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
Hello,

some ppl get the bug for cycling & get addicted. some not so much. give it a try, it is quite fun & interesting & rarely boring

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.