Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Some Eagle drivetrain upgrades, a gram-weenie report

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-24, 02:36 PM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 173 Posts

Made upgrades to my Eagle 1X12 bike this weekend: manual to AXS shifting, 1275 to 1299 cassette, both 10-52.

AXS upgrade kit from SRAM has all the needed bits and install is relatively straightforward, followed by lots of fiddling getting the shifts right. Have AXS on another bike and like the system, which was my main motivation. Am also wondering how long before this system version is dropped now that Type T is upon us, and new stock dries up.

AXS GX derailleur is big as a big thing compared to the manual GX I removed, and the weight confirms: 455g vs. 289g, net gain of 166g, almost 6oz.

Shifter claws back some weight, being 68g vs.186g for the old shifter+cable and casing, net drop of 118g.
Entire upgrade is a net +48g, less than 2oz so not a lot--more advanced riders than I may notice the weight has shifted rearward.

The cassette swap was more dramatic: 455g to 313g, a net -142g/5oz. I can tell just picking up the wheel that it shed weight. Only challenge was removing the old cassette using my ancient chain whip, which is far too wide. Need to invest in a 12-sp version before the next time.

Biggest rider challenge after a whopping one trip is not touching the shifter inadvertently. Easy to do, including when stopped. Shifts seem more precise than the old push-push manual shifter, especially that final bump to 52 (which, for me, is a thing that exists rather than a thing that is used).

Anyone pondering this swap, it's moderate-level DIY and I'd shop now while the kits are still sold. Did not investigate what changing over to T Type might involve; perhaps that's the smarter move provided no dropout swap.
Likes For Rick_D:
Old 03-31-24, 06:16 PM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 857 Times in 346 Posts
I'm running the GX AXS, non-transmission as well. Mine is on a lower-specced Santa Cruz Blur that came with NX. I already had my old race wheels off my Spesh Epic that had the XD freehub body, so throwing on the lighter-weight GX 10-50 cassette was straightforward. I too like the wireless shifting...the light action of the shifter is nice, as well as the ability to shift 3 gears at a time. The Sram Transmission sounds like it might be better for a race bike, as I hear it shifts exceptionally well under load, but the regular AXS is good enough for me at this point.

I've slowly been building this bike up with nicer components as I can deals/parts under MSRP. Besides the AXS shifting and lighter wheelset, I'm running a Fox Factory Float shock. Also just picked up a set of 120mm Fox factory forks for half off.
Likes For Sierra_rider:
Old 04-18-24, 08:10 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
I’ve been running GX Eagle for 2 years. 10-52. The 52 is definitely a thing I use! I can’t tell you if I’d notice a difference between it and 50 though.

The shifter + derailleur for AXS is about $500 in some places right now. Pretty reasonable.

It lives in the back of my mind as something I can do if I want to. Currently I don’t feel the urge, but it’s great to hear first hand reviews.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 04-21-24, 03:31 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,872 Times in 3,016 Posts
This is an interesting upgrade and something I had never considered before. I love AXS on my road bike, but my mountain bike still has mechanical Eagle X01. I would be tempted to upgrade, but I quite like the SRAM mechanical shift, so I will probably stick with it until my next bike.

Last edited by PeteHski; 04-21-24 at 03:35 AM.