Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Road Rash Gone But Left With This Lump??

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-08, 09:06 AM
smoore

Bikes: Primary ride now a LOOK 585-Love it.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 40 Posts

I crashed on my left hip about six-seven weeks ago. All the road rash from my leg and hip is long gone and without leaving a scar (kept it moist with creme antibiotic and bandaged). However, where the damage was done on my hip it is still very sensitive to the touch and has left behind a lump under the skin.

Any idea what it might be? Will I die?

Steve
Old 06-11-08, 09:09 AM
Jynx

Bikes: 2006 Cannondale CAAD8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Induration?

Scarring?

Just get a quick check up at the doctor. They will know for sure if it needs further attention.

Buy your bike parts here
Old 06-11-08, 09:11 AM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Yes... you will die.

But probably not from the lump and probably many, many years down the road . It's probably just clotted blood that your body has isolated (called a "hemotoma". I am just getting over something like what you have after I crashed hard in a circuit race, like you, on my hip. I had a melon sized hemotoma which jiggled around when I moved and I couldn't wear jeans for almost three weeks.

If you get really concerned, schedule a visit to the doctor. He or she will tell you exactly what it is and exactly what to expect during the healing process. These things can take several weeks to heal fully. My crash was about 5 weeks ago and, while the melon is gone from my hip, I still lack any sensation in the skin in the area and the muscle underneath still gets a bit tight when I am sitting too long in a chair or on my bike.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 06-11-08, 10:45 AM
sqroot3

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
it could also be a keloid or normal scar tissue.
Likes For sqroot3:
Old 06-11-08, 11:00 AM
Tulex
Junk Mile Junkie

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Road
Old 06-11-08, 11:20 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Only now do you realize you should have dug that rock out before you put the bandages on.
Old 06-11-08, 01:33 PM
smoore

Bikes: Primary ride now a LOOK 585-Love it.

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 40 Posts
Thanks guys....I'll give it a bit longer before I schedule a Dr. visit.
Old 06-11-08, 01:36 PM
Snow_canuck

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Doctor? F That!!

Likes For Snow_canuck:
Old 06-11-08, 01:46 PM
djbowen1

Bikes: Cervelo Soliost

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have the same thing, my whole side was crazy shades of purple and yellow for atleast 6 weeks after the crash. i have no scar but it still hurts if touched. Doctor said there is nothing that can be done about and that area takes a while to heal. Accident was in November, still hurts today.
Old 06-11-08, 04:09 PM
jstraw97

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse Carbon SL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Same thing happened to me last year. I wasn't fully clipped in on the drive side and when I went to accelerate (i.e. pushed down on the drive crank) my foot slipped out of the pedal and I fell and bashed the crap out of my right hip, along with some nice long road rash on my right arm and side of my torso (my bike didn't look so hot either). I noticed after the road rash healed that the huge bump on my right hip didn't seem to be going away at all, so I decided to see my doctor about it. He told me it was a hematoma, which is pretty common with these kinds of injuries, but not to worry, it would go away on it's own after a few more months. He was right. I've still got the scars from the road rash but the hematoma went away a few months later.
Old 06-11-08, 09:02 PM
531Aussie
Aluminium Crusader :-)

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Could be an infection, but mine was a big-ish lump, about 2/3 the size of a golf ball.

I had hit an open car door, leaving me with (among other things) a graze on my shoulder through my shirt. I about a week later I noticed a hard lump a few inches away from the graze, near my collarbone, kinda on the front of my trap muscle. The doctor wasn't sure what it was; guessed it might've been an infection; put my me on Ceclor, and it went away.
Old 02-06-24, 06:52 PM
rBMX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff
Yes... you will die.

But probably not from the lump and probably many, many years down the road . It's probably just clotted blood that your body has isolated (called a "hemotoma". I am just getting over something like what you have after I crashed hard in a circuit race, like you, on my hip. I had a melon sized hemotoma which jiggled around when I moved and I couldn't wear jeans for almost three weeks.

If you get really concerned, schedule a visit to the doctor. He or she will tell you exactly what it is and exactly what to expect during the healing process. These things can take several weeks to heal fully. My crash was about 5 weeks ago and, while the melon is gone from my hip, I still lack any sensation in the skin in the area and the muscle underneath still gets a bit tight when I am sitting too long in a chair or on my bike.
I know this is super old but just going through the same thing in the same spot. Hurts like crazy to sneeze or cough hard like there is some scarring or something that pulls apart. Helpful to read this.
Old 02-06-24, 08:32 PM
531Aussie

Bloody hell! It's been nearly 20 years since I joined the forum!! Where has the time gone?!
Likes For 531Aussie:
Old 02-06-24, 10:00 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
Originally Posted by 531Aussie
Bloody hell! It's been nearly 20 years since I joined the forum!! Where has the time gone?!
Don’t look behind you.

Old 02-06-24, 10:11 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rBMX
I know this is super old but just going through the same thing in the same spot. Hurts like crazy to sneeze or cough hard like there is some scarring or something that pulls apart. Helpful to read this.
Man, 14 years later... You know I never did regain feeling in the skin over my left hip where I had the hematoma.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Likes For Brian Ratliff:
Old 02-06-24, 10:39 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Is this at the hip joint? Top of the thigh? You have a bursa there and could well have damaged it. I've never taken a biology anything but several doctors have identified bursa damage on my hips and elbows over the years. Not catastrophic and I've never dome much at all for the damage other than trying to minimize bumping and extended contact.

As I understand it, the bursa is sorta like a small bag of lubricant for the joint. The joint doesn't work as well until the bag is healed up. Sometines we have to change our ways a little to help the healing. For more than that, go talk to someone who knows. Probably any doc who deals with bumps and bruises/
Old 02-06-24, 11:58 PM
531Aussie

Originally Posted by rsbob
Don’t look behind you.
Is that death sneaking up on me?
Likes For 531Aussie:
Old 02-07-24, 12:10 AM
531Aussie

I busted both of my hips/femurs in recent years. After the first one, the bleeding/swelling seemed to congeal above me knee (yes, I had it checked out a few times). One doc said it was a haematoma, and another said, "it's just blood". Anyway it took about 6 weeks to totally go away.
Old 02-07-24, 06:04 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,927 Times in 4,160 Posts
Love me some zombie thread action.

It’s likely a hematoma but if not slowly improving see a physician.
Likes For datlas:
Old 02-08-24, 07:05 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff
Man, 14 years later... You know I never did regain feeling in the skin over my left hip where I had the hematoma.
I landed on my hip and shoulder after a car sent me flying back in 2016, I'll try to post a picture, I never regained feeling on the hip, and have a swelling/lump there. Docs said nothing to be done other than cosmetic.
Old 02-09-24, 01:07 PM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,951 Times in 1,207 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelreason
I landed on my hip and shoulder after a car sent me flying back in 2016, I'll try to post a picture, I never regained feeling on the hip, and have a swelling/lump there. Docs said nothing to be done other than cosmetic.
Same, got hit in 17. Went ass over teakettle. Landed on my right shoulder and then right hip. My right thigh burns like it's on fire at times from the pressure of clothes touching it.
Old 02-11-24, 10:40 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Originally Posted by 531Aussie
Part of it went here:
Likes For Polaris OBark: