Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Rotating Tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-18, 08:31 AM
MePoocho
Always Learning

Bikes: Very Upgraded Denali 63.5cm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rotating Tires

Hey All,

My Connie-GatorSkins just turned 2,008 miles. The rear is worn more than the front and is flatter at it's center. The front is wearing better. Both front and rear wear dimples are clearly visible indicating more life for each.

So I swapped the front for rear. Does anyone else do this? Or do I just have too much time on my hands??

Still ridding down here is Florida... but last week morning temps were in the mid 30's.

DSC08278.JPG
Old 01-21-18, 08:37 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3389 Post(s)
Liked 5,566 Times in 2,887 Posts
Originally Posted by MePoocho
So I swapped the front for rear. Does anyone else do this?
No.
You want the best tire on front.
If the rear tire fails, you will probably stop safely.
If the front tire fails, you will probably crash.

When the rear tire is worn out, you move the front tire to the rear, then put a new tire on the front.
Old 01-21-18, 08:54 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I agree with what Shimagnolo said. When its time for a new tire I always swap the front and put it on the rear. The new tire goes on the front.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 01-21-18, 08:57 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
I rotate my road tires, but I also don't run them to the cords either.

My argument for rotating is I usually replace both tires anyways as the rubber starts drying and gets harder as it ages. Along with, over time, tires embed with glass, eventually that glass starts to work through.

One argument for not rotating is that you want the best tire on the front? yeah well a dried out cracked rubber isn't exactly the best tire for a front tire or back tire. rotate early, and swap both out early. done.
Old 01-21-18, 09:32 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,685 Times in 830 Posts
I mostly commute and average at least 2800 miles a year. I rotate my tires when I notice a difference in the wear. The rear always wears more. After a couple of swaps the tires are usually done. But for me, most of the time a catastrophic puncture or tear will do the tire in before it wears out.
Old 01-21-18, 09:36 AM
MePoocho
Always Learning

Bikes: Very Upgraded Denali 63.5cm

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
I rotate my road tires, but I also don't run them to the cords either.

My argument for rotating is I usually replace both tires anyways as the rubber starts drying and gets harder as it ages. Along with, over time, tires embed with glass, eventually that glass starts to work through.

One argument for not rotating is that you want the best tire on the front? yeah well a dried out cracked rubber isn't exactly the best tire for a front tire or back tire. rotate early, and swap both out early. done.
Metieval,

Exactly my reasoning. After rotating the front tire is the old rear tire. Now when this front tire's wear indicators are history, but no cords showing I'll replace both like you do.

Heck,,,, my wife's undies cost more than two new tires....... I say that, but the visual is worth it.
Old 01-21-18, 09:45 AM
Darth_Firebolt
Pokemon Master

Bikes: All City Cosmic Stallion, Salsa Colossal, Surly Preamble, 1985 Schwinn High Sierra x3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I rotate my Schwalbe Big Apples when there's more than 0.7mm difference between tread depth. I usually get at least 3 rotations before one is toast, then I replace both.
Old 01-21-18, 09:47 AM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 144 Posts
I don't rotate. My wife is at best ok with most of the bike bits I buy, but she wants me on good worry free tires, so when the back gets replaced, so does the front. I keep the old front as a spare, just in case.

You know what they say....Happy wife, happy life. Who am I to argue?

Last edited by Wileyrat; 01-21-18 at 09:53 AM.
Old 01-21-18, 09:49 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 618 Posts

So I swapped the front for rear. Does anyone else do this? Or do I just have too much time on my hands??
yes

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 01-21-18, 09:50 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
How ever, I also regularly inspect my tires. If I have a questionable tire it won't go on the front. regardless when the time comes , I'll still replace both as a pair.
Old 01-21-18, 10:33 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2516 Post(s)
Liked 2,996 Times in 1,702 Posts
First I replace the rear tire; next time, both; next, rear; next time, both . . . .

Rotating tires seems illogical, and I have better things to do with my time.
Old 01-21-18, 10:34 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18405 Post(s)
Liked 4,528 Times in 3,363 Posts
I've swapped front/rear before, if the tire going up front is good enough. Or perhaps wanting to push a tire to the back to grind it down some before the rubber dries out and it goes bad.

Flats happen and are part of riding.

Blowouts are rare. I've had two in the last couple of years. One was on trailer wheels made with kid's bike tires of unknown age, perhaps rusted wire beads, and too high of pressure.

the other blowout was on a tire, 75 miles from new. No obvious cause, other than perhaps inflating it cold, then riding it hot. It happened to be on the rear, but it could just have likely happened on the front (new tire).
Old 01-21-18, 11:05 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
No.
You want the best tire on front.
If the rear tire fails, you will probably stop safely.
If the front tire fails, you will probably crash.

When the rear tire is worn out, you move the front tire to the rear, then put a new tire on the front.

this is what I do for the same logic......
Old 01-21-18, 11:37 AM
IronM

Bikes: Fuji Transonic, Ridley Excalibur, Foundry Overland, Niner EMD

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
I value a good tire on front more than I do the rear. I run the rear until the dimples show it's done; then rotate the current front to the rear, so that the new tire goes on the front. As long as there is still sufficient rubber, the flat spot on a rear tire is not a problem
Old 01-21-18, 11:52 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Best, new tire goes on the front .. you don't want a front tire failure at speed
Old 01-21-18, 02:18 PM
epnnf

Bikes: 2016 Masi strada vita due, 2019 Kona Dew Plus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 55 Posts
Heck,,,, my wife's undies cost more than two new tires....... I say that, but the visual is worth it.

btw, am I the only one who runs a smaller size tire in front than in rear? Front/rear do different jobs.
Old 01-21-18, 06:01 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
I rotate because I want the tires to wear evenly, and get replaced at the same time. It looks better when the tires match perfectly, in size, color, (gumwalls) and wear. This is very important to a geek like me!

If a tire isn't good enough for the front, it's not good enough for the back either.

I find it difficult to believe some here think changing tires is too much trouble. Really? I guess for some it must be. For me, maintaining and cleaning my bikes is just as fun as riding 'em. Get some coffee or a beer and have at it.
Old 01-21-18, 06:55 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18405 Post(s)
Liked 4,528 Times in 3,363 Posts
Originally Posted by epnnf

btw, am I the only one who runs a smaller size tire in front than in rear? Front/rear do different jobs.
Not the only one.

Old 01-21-18, 07:03 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Hey All,

My Connie-GatorSkins just turned 2,008 miles. The rear is worn more than the front and is flatter at it's center. The front is wearing better. Both front and rear wear dimples are clearly visible indicating more life for each.

Nope. I would never do that. As others have indicated, you want the best tyre in the front.
Old 01-21-18, 07:23 PM
PdalPowr

Bikes: Norco hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
[QUOTE=AlmostTrick;20123072

For me, maintaining and cleaning my bikes is just as fun as riding 'em.
Get some coffee or a beer and have at it.[/QUOTE]

I like your attitude.
Could we work together as a team?
You drink coffee and work on your bike.
I'll drink beer and watch you.
Old 01-21-18, 08:29 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
I get it that a blow out on the front can be disastrous, but the rear tire supports more weight, and is more prone to punctures. No way I want a worn tire back there either. Rotate and replace the pair when it's time.

Originally Posted by PdalPowr
I like your attitude.
Could we work together as a team?
You drink coffee and work on your bike.
I'll drink beer and watch you.
I'd love to hook up with a bike maintenance partner. Hang out and upgrade our bikes together. And as much as I like beer, I've often said I could give it up long before I could coffee.

Last edited by AlmostTrick; 01-21-18 at 09:36 PM.
Old 01-21-18, 10:40 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4424 Post(s)
Liked 4,069 Times in 2,714 Posts
I just put on new tires when needed, I don't play the cheap game unless I absolutely have too. Safety would be a huge concern in tire rotation but if you don't do it you don't have to worry.
Old 01-21-18, 11:47 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
When buying new tires, buy them 3 at a time as there will typically be a 2:1 wear ratio of rear to front. The newest/bestest tire should always be up front, IMO.

Use old worn tires on the turbo trainer during the Winter months.
Old 01-22-18, 12:16 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,804 Times in 1,801 Posts
Rotate my road bike tires? Nope. The rear always gets nicks, cuts and flat spots from emergency braking first. Not gonna swap that to the front. I need to replace a slashed and flat-spotted Schwalbe One V-Guard on the rear. I'll probably put the new tire on the front and move the used front to the rear, since it's still in good shape.

The rear could have lasted longer than the approximately 1,700 miles on it, but razor sharp broken slate and free-range dogs conspired against me. Even with three slashes and a flat spot it's been good for a couplafew more weeks, but I noticed on this weekend's ride I can see the puncture shield through one of the three slashes.

Or I may buy a new pair, keep the lightly used front as a spare and toss the slashed tire. The original Schwalbe One V-Guards were excellent but getting scarce since that model was discontinued.

And I don't rotate the Conti Speed Rides on my hybrid. Great, grippy and fast tires but the file tread is a bit soft and wears quicker on the rear. Safer to replace it, put the new tire on the front and move the old front to the rear.

But I do rotate the errand bike's Michelin Protek Cross Max tires once a year. Probably unnecessary but I do it anyway. Those things will probably outlast me.
Old 01-22-18, 01:00 AM
LKA 

Bikes: '17-Haanjo Trail '09-H-a-o-l-e '88-712

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Rotate my road bike tires? Nope. The rear always gets nicks, cuts and flat spots from emergency braking first. Not gonna swap that to the front.....
+1
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I just put on new tires when needed, I don't play the cheap game unless I absolutely have too. Safety would be a huge concern in tire rotation but if you don't do it you don't have to worry.
+1

Rotating rear to front as the OP indicated sounds like an invitation for problems where none previously existed; and wreaks of false economy at the expense of safety.

If the OP really wants to spend more time working on his bike, he should clean the chain/drive-train [more]...those dirty little beasts beg for constant attention. Cleaning my chain/drive-train is the never-ending story that let's my bike know it's loved. In addition, making your crank-sets/cog-sets last longer offers real ROI without any jeopardy to personal safety. Win-win.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.