Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Your thoughts on 2020 Cannondale Topstone gravel bike

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-20, 10:55 PM
fiat59

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello folks!

I'm currently debating whether I should replace my road bike with a gravel bike. I currently ride a 2017 Cube Attain SL with 105 groupset and 25 mm Mavic tires. It's a great entry level road bike. My rides are mostly pavement (70%) and occasionally i like to venture out onto hard packed gravel path (30%). I also commute to work during the summer approximately 2-3 days a week. Total daily roundtrip is 20 KM.

Question for everyone: Would replacing the 25mm with 28mm tires provide more of a comfortable ride? If so, which brand and model is recommended? Would i actually feel the comfort as I ride ? Are 28mm suitable for hard packed gravel path? Your comments and opinion is welcome.

Or, my other option is ro sell the road bike and replace with an entry level gravel bike. I came across the 2020 Cannondale Topstone gravel bike with Sora components which i like very much. I realize the Sora components are inferior to the current 105. However, I don't mind sacrificing speed and performance for a little more comfort and adventure.

I welcome any tips and / or recommendations anyone may provide.

Does anyone own a Cannondale Topstone or similar brand? what are your thoughts?
Old 04-10-20, 12:35 AM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 75 Posts
28mm would for sure give a more comfy ride over hard packed. Keep the pressure down a little.

If you're only going to ride across those conditions, a gravel bike would be too much bike in my opinion.

Something like an endurance road bike with 32-35mm clearance. Giant Defy/Contend, for example.
Old 04-10-20, 07:26 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3243 Post(s)
Liked 2,091 Times in 1,183 Posts
I have a 105 Topstone, new this past November, so same frame.

It's about 5 lbs heavier then my Chinese carbon road bike which uses 25mm tires. The Topstone weighs 22.6 lbs with my 31mm road tires, the original wheels and SPD pedals, so not bad for a gravel, but heavier than my road bike which is 17.5 lbs. Note that I'm using the original WTB wheels at 24mm wide, with a set of Conti 4 Season Grand Prix tires, normally 28mm, but they run as 31mm on wide rims.. I do notice the weight when I ride back-to-back, and notice the tire size. The road bike is quicker accelerating and generally a faster bike.

What I like and the reason I went this route is I can do a 1 minute swap to a 2nd set of wheels that have the 11-34 cassette with the stock WTB Riddler 37mm gravel tires. . Thus it's an easy swap for when I want to go play on the dirt trails and roads, gravel bike paths, etc...So it's very versatile. Topstone as well as a 46/30 crank so is better for hills than the 50/34 crank on my carbon. And if you so desire, the Topstone will take up to a 45mm tire so you expand the terrain where you can ride.

I agree with Fiat though, try 28mm tires first and see how that rides on your shorter gravel trials. Advantage to any gravel bike and some road/endurance bikes with discs, is you can put on a larger tire as needed..
Old 04-10-20, 12:08 PM
fiat59

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the tips.
Truly appreciate it
Old 04-10-20, 12:13 PM
fiat59

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Steve,
You make a lot of sense.
As you mention, I'll replace the 25 with 28mm and take it from there.

PS - I'm riding with rim breaks so 28mm is the max I can add.

Tkx again