Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Intensity

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-10, 02:23 PM
curdog

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Intensity

While looking at different training programs, the one I come back to the most is interval training. My question regards intensity. When you raise your intensity, are you increasing your cadence in the same gear, or are you shifting to a smaller cog and trying to maintain cadence? Maybe it's a combination of both?
Old 09-13-10, 02:44 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I normally do it on the last 200 yards or so of a slope. I keep a good pace up the hill but stay within my capabilities. Then for that last 200- I sprint. If it is in the saddle then no need to change gear. If it is out of the saddle- then down a couple of gears and go for for it.

But I have a group that always turn the last bit into a race. 4 or 5 of us across the road waiting for the first one to go. I always change that couple of gears before the first one goes. They have never understood how the Old Rider just pips them to the top of the hill. They may accelerate faster than me- but just can't carry the higher speed.

But I have a good 5% slope for about 400 yards. Whatever speed I start that slope in and in whatever gear- I maintain to the top. And I do go for it just before it starts. May be a low cadence or high- but I maintain the same speed and cadence all the way up. It either blows my legs or my breathing- but I enjoy that one.

Spike Milligan
Old 09-13-10, 02:47 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Once a week I ride my 15 mi. TT. It has some moderate hills but nothing real steep. I basically try to stay in a gear that I can spin at least 80-90 rpm on the flats. On the hills I try to ride them like "sprinter's hills", which is to say crank them in a high gear out of the saddle. But, I just do what feels good for me. There's no science to it for me. I just go as fast as I can for the entire ride. Usually takes me between 52-54 minutes.
Old 09-13-10, 03:01 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1341 Post(s)
Liked 2,483 Times in 1,458 Posts
It depends....Intervals come in many flavors depending on the objective. The first thing you have to get your arms around is the difference between training "something" and just riding or competing. Once you decide you want a training program, you have to do things that will cause change which means you will not be doing what you want to do or are necessarily good at. You will work on your limiters and weaknesses.

So intervals z2, z3, z4, z5, z6 and z7 can be done at low, self-directed or high cadence. When training, I seldom do self-directed cadence. I am always working on improving something so self selection is off the table.

I do low cadence z4 and z5 to build strength and high cadence to build aerobic capacity and neuromuscular capability. One can always elect to spin slower but you must train to spin faster.

Friday, I did 3x6 laps at the track behind the motor in 82 gear inches at 32 mph with the goal of improving cadence. Earlier this year, I was doing a lot of low cadence z4 and z5 intervals to increase strength and muscle recruitment.

The hardest intervals for me are the high cadence 100 rpm or higher 20 minute z4 intervals. High cadence at high power is very tough and it takes a long time to master. It is also the most desirable and useful. YMMV