Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Retro roadies- old frames with STI's or Ergos

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Retro roadies- old frames with STI's or Ergos

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-13, 06:30 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Zach_Stone
No. More. Way more. At first I thought it was a wee bit small, but then I realized that my 65cm commute bike is just stupid huge, and that a 60 on a race bike is perfect for me. It is so so smooth. I will admit, however, I haven't a ton of experience to compare it to, just my 2001 Bianchi Giro (Alu), an early early Cannondale frame (Alu), and an old Ribble (Steel), and my commuter (Steel). Compared to the Bianchi and Cdale it rides so much better, and neither of those really fit me any how. It is hard to compare it to the others b/c the commuter is not a fair comparison (weighed down with bags, 28mm tires, etc) and the Ribble, well, that was some time ago that I road it. The frame was surprisingly light, at least it felt light, when I got it, but the wheels are so so heavy. I don't find it too squishy on hills, but I am also not the strongest climber and generally blame it on my lack of fitness rather than the bike. Descending, however, this bike is so so dreamy. I've never felt comfortable descending at speed, but on my second ride on this I spun out the 53x12 gearing before I realized it, mainly b/c the bike felt so stable and predictable under me.

If I do anything to it, I am may build up some light wheels with parts from BikeHubShop (Blue anodized hubs/nipples with silver rims/spokes!) and drop a few lbs. But to do that I'd either have to use a Jtek shiftmate to use a Shimano 8s cassette or upgrade the whole drive train to newer 10/11s Campy. I am leaning towards the Jtek solution as I love the way the old campy levers allow you to shift across the entire cassette in one toss. As far as the gearing, 53/39 x 12x26 can be a bit stiff here, but I really dislike compacts so I may just try to use an old XT cassette if I opt for the Jtek solution for some easier climbing gears. Until then, Rule # 5 all the way.
Thanks for the report!

Always something to tinker with, isn't there.
Old 08-18-13, 08:20 AM
thirdgenbird

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Zach_Stone
No. More. Way more. At first I thought it was a wee bit small, but then I realized that my 65cm commute bike is just stupid huge, and that a 60 on a race bike is perfect for me. It is so so smooth. I will admit, however, I haven't a ton of experience to compare it to, just my 2001 Bianchi Giro (Alu), an early early Cannondale frame (Alu), and an old Ribble (Steel), and my commuter (Steel). Compared to the Bianchi and Cdale it rides so much better, and neither of those really fit me any how. It is hard to compare it to the others b/c the commuter is not a fair comparison (weighed down with bags, 28mm tires, etc) and the Ribble, well, that was some time ago that I road it. The frame was surprisingly light, at least it felt light, when I got it, but the wheels are so so heavy. I don't find it too squishy on hills, but I am also not the strongest climber and generally blame it on my lack of fitness rather than the bike. Descending, however, this bike is so so dreamy. I've never felt comfortable descending at speed, but on my second ride on this I spun out the 53x12 gearing before I realized it, mainly b/c the bike felt so stable and predictable under me.

If I do anything to it, I am may build up some light wheels with parts from BikeHubShop (Blue anodized hubs/nipples with silver rims/spokes!) and drop a few lbs. But to do that I'd either have to use a Jtek shiftmate to use a Shimano 8s cassette or upgrade the whole drive train to newer 10/11s Campy. I am leaning towards the Jtek solution as I love the way the old campy levers allow you to shift across the entire cassette in one toss. As far as the gearing, 53/39 x 12x26 can be a bit stiff here, but I really dislike compacts so I may just try to use an old XT cassette if I opt for the Jtek solution for some easier climbing gears. Until then, Rule # 5 all the way.
Forget the jtek wheels manufacturing makes a set of spacers that allows you to respace a shimano cassette to Campagnolo spacing. They work great. This solution will also let you switch back and forth between your current wheels and shimano wheels.
Old 08-18-13, 08:58 AM
whatwolf
Unimatrix Zero

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird
Thanks for the complement Grady.

robbie, great job! I recognize that saddle pretty impressive weight. Those ventos are not the lightest wheelset around. Your eurus wheels would probably make it even more impressive.
No kidding. My SL Merckx with 11-sp Athena and Eurus wheels weighs in at 20lbs exactly. Must be that extra cog.
Old 08-18-13, 09:00 AM
mapleleafs-13 

Bikes: Pinarello Veneto, Pinarello Montello, Bianchi Celeste

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes

i use this scale too!, it's fantastic
Old 08-18-13, 09:09 AM
thirdgenbird

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by whatwolf
No kidding. My SL Merckx with 11-sp Athena and Eurus wheels weighs in at 20lbs exactly. Must be that extra cog.
My Colnago is 20lbs with a 2000g record 10 group and eurus wheels. I thought that was pretty good for a 59cm with a heavy bar and stem. If I recall, you are using a similar salsa/soma combo. The stiffness is worth the weight, but I suspect it is a lot heavier than my common deda murex/215 combo.
Old 08-18-13, 09:15 AM
whatwolf
Unimatrix Zero

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Colnago is 20lbs with a 2000g record 10 group and eurus wheels. I thought that was pretty good for a 59cm with a heavy bar and stem. If I recall, you are using a similar salsa/soma combo. The stiffness is worth the weight, but I suspect it is a lot heavier than my common deda murex/215 combo.
Mine's a 55. But it does have a steel stem and the Thomson post is about 2 feet long.
Old 08-18-13, 09:23 AM
thirdgenbird

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Mine's a 55. But it does have a steel stem and the Thomson post is about 2 feet long.
Mine also has a long Thomson. My guess is our bikes are similar because I have a lighter group and you have a lighter frame. Everything else is about equal or the exact same part
Old 08-18-13, 09:24 AM
whatwolf
Unimatrix Zero

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mine also has a long Thomson. My guess is our bikes are similar because I have a lighter group and you have a lighter frame. Everything else is about equal or the exact same part
And we are equally nerdy.
Old 08-18-13, 09:30 AM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Bikes: blue ones.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
and both of you know how to build A-list C&V bikes with modern touches
Old 08-18-13, 09:37 AM
thirdgenbird

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
shhhh

Originally Posted by Italuminium
and both of you know how to build A-list C&V bikes with modern touches
Thanks
Old 08-18-13, 10:18 AM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 612 Posts
Here's one I did about 10 years ago, 1980 something Fuji Supreme. Added Ultegra derailleurs and brake levers, 7 speed cassette and custom built 700c wheels from LBS. Kept the original crankset because it was in great shape and I like the "FUJI" cast into the arms. The original brake calipers were long reach and like new so I kept those as well. Sold it in a moment of weakness. Went to a good home though, the guy that bought it fell in love with it at first sight.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Fuji 001.jpg (75.7 KB, 279 views)
Old 08-18-13, 10:33 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Originally Posted by cehowardGS
Robbie, isn't that a 60cm**********?

Nice
Nadine would kill me.
Old 08-18-13, 10:43 AM
whatwolf
Unimatrix Zero

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Murray Missile
Here's one I did about 10 years ago, 1980 something Fuji Supreme. Added Ultegra derailleurs and brake levers, 7 speed cassette and custom built 700c wheels from LBS. Kept the original crankset because it was in great shape and I like the "FUJI" cast into the arms. The original brake calipers were long reach and like new so I kept those as well. Sold it in a moment of weakness. Went to a good home though, the guy that bought it fell in love with it at first sight.

Not quite sure how this fits in this thread but it sure is big.
Old 08-18-13, 12:44 PM
Murray Missile 

Not quite sure how this fits in this thread but it sure is big.

It doesn't really fit anywhere. Sorry, won't happen again.
Old 08-18-13, 12:46 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Nadine would kill me.
Old 08-18-13, 12:58 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Originally Posted by Murray Missile
It doesn't really fit anywhere. Sorry, won't happen again.
It's OK. We've consulted the oracle, and allowed you a pass, because, to get real hazily technical about it, an "Ultegra" brake lever without the "600" prefix could conceivably mean a 9-sp brake lever, as those STI's were the first to bear the solo "Ultegra," while the 7/8 sp levers were "600 Ultegra." Regardless of that run-on sentence, and the photos, we can rationalize anything. This is the "hot rod" part of C&V, to some extent, and you certainly improved upon the Fuji.

Welcome to the forum. I think my bike will fit inside that main triangle.
Old 08-18-13, 01:57 PM
Murray Missile 

Yeah, it was a Long Tall Sally for sure, I was "almost" tall enough for it. If it helps I originally planned to convert it to index shifting but chickened out at the last minute. Had it been something older and a couple inches shorter I probably would have done it AND kept it. I'm braver and a bit more experienced now, no smarter though. I still spend too much on old bikes that aren't worth it. One of these days the right frameset will come along though. So far everything that has crossed my path since then that has been worth doing has been WAY too short and the ones the right size have been trashed. I need a nice 25.5 inch red and black 1970-73 Raleigh Grand Prix with good paint and graphics. Why not something better you might ask? It's a nostalgia thing, my first road bike was a 1971 Grand Prix, 25.5 inch frame, metallic red with black and gold graphics. Some of my best rides were on that old tank and I have really been missing it for some reason. Illogical I know but that's how it is, You know, your first true love and all that crap.
Old 08-18-13, 02:05 PM
anixi
Jack of all trades

Bikes: Schwinn Peloton Ventana El Saltamontes Spec Stumpjumper Conversion Gravel

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
^I don't know, it seems to me that your "first true love" in a bike is pretty darn valid!
Old 08-18-13, 02:39 PM
Murray Missile 

Originally Posted by anixi
^I don't know, it seems to me that your "first true love" in a bike is pretty darn valid!
Thanks, every time I see a vintage Grand Prix ( or any vintage Raleigh ) my heart "skips a tooth" on it's chain ring LOL. My B-I-L and sister still have the 1971 Grand Prix's they bought the summer after I got mine and they are near mint with super low miles on hers. His has a few more miles including RAGBRAI but doesn't have a mark on it. They bought new hybrids last year and the B-I-L also bought a gorgeous Pinnarello road bike, they would probably sell the Raleighs to me BUT... hers is a women's frame, they're the wrong colors and as always.... WAY too short.
Old 08-18-13, 07:36 PM
russd32

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can I join the club?

92 Merckx Century, was originally built with DA7401/2/3 8 speed. Swapped out the wheels, shifters, rear derailleur for DA7800 and threw on my favorite saddle and pedals. Rides like a champ, but I've got to find some different handlebars with less drop/reach that are the right width. I'm thinking I might try the Soma Hwy 1 bars if I can find a set online, they always seem to be sold out.

Last edited by russd32; 08-18-13 at 07:40 PM.
Old 08-18-13, 08:13 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by russd32
Can I join the club?

92 Merckx Century, was originally built with DA7401/2/3 8 speed. Swapped out the wheels, shifters, rear derailleur for DA7800 and threw on my favorite saddle and pedals. Rides like a champ, but I've got to find some different handlebars with less drop/reach that are the right width. I'm thinking I might try the Soma Hwy 1 bars if I can find a set online, they always seem to be sold out.
Nope you can't join the club. We only accept high end vintage italian steel from 1991 and before. Come back next year.

J/k sick bike!
Old 08-18-13, 08:20 PM
whatwolf
Unimatrix Zero

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by russd32
Can I join the club?

I highly recommend those bars. Any bike shop can order them for you.
Old 08-19-13, 12:40 AM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
Forget the jtek wheels manufacturing makes a set of spacers that allows you to respace a shimano cassette to Campagnolo spacing. They work great. This solution will also let you switch back and forth between your current wheels and shimano wheels.
I'm using that arrangement on my wife's Campy Chorus 8-spd with Shimano cogs on an Ultegra hub. Works great and I've got a drawer full of loose Shimano cogs to build whatever cassette she wants. Seems like the Shimano cogs last at least as long as Campy, and there's a much greater range available.
Old 08-21-13, 12:59 AM
RoadMike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My early 90's Torelli, I picked this bike up for $200 in rather tattered condition. It had a mixed Sachs/Campagnolo 8 spd group on it. I kept the Campagnolo chorus brakes and crank, replaced the the shift/brake levers with record 10 levers, rear derailleur with a veloce 10 spd, front derailleur with a chorus 10, replaced the stock saddle with a brooks B5N, stem with a nitto technomic, and seat post with a velo orange grand cru set back. All I need are some very shiny 36 spoke tubular wheels, and maybe a classic bend handle bar.

Old 08-21-13, 05:49 AM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadMike
My early 90's Torelli, I picked this bike up for $200 in rather tattered condition. It had a mixed Sachs/Campagnolo 8 spd group on it. I kept the Campagnolo chorus brakes and crank, replaced the the shift/brake levers with record 10 levers, rear derailleur with a veloce 10 spd, front derailleur with a chorus 10, replaced the stock saddle with a brooks B5N, stem with a nitto technomic, and seat post with a velo orange grand cru set back. All I need are some very shiny 36 spoke tubular wheels, and maybe a classic bend handle bar.

Super nice..

You must be about 6'8" too

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.