Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

It is okay to walk up steep hills

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

It is okay to walk up steep hills

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-23, 07:33 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
This. I hate walking in cleats and I hate pushing a bike (though when I ride heavily loaded I use two-bolt recessed cleats so that doesn't apply) but I Really hate having heart attacks. When I even start to feel like my death might be approaching, I will walk ... or even sit. Laugh away at how weak I am ... I'd rather live and be laughed at.
I wonder what the odds are of riding yourself into a heart attack on a hill? I suppose Tom Simpson managed it on Ventoux in the heat, while allegedly doped up. But I find that my brain automatically limits my effort. Otherwise I would have died many times from pushing too hard. Instead of dying I just blow up!
Old 09-11-23, 11:33 AM
Brett A
Word.

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Orbea Oiz XCountry Bike, Specialized Roubaix, Borealis Echo Fat Bike for Winter, many others out in the barn.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by HectorStorm
If a hill gets the better of me, I usually stop for 3-4 minutes and then go again, a bit more refreshed. My bike has fairly low gears (28 front, 31 rear).

I'm not a natural climber. My bike, myself and the gear weighs more than 100KG sometimes, and I'm a recreational cyclist on a hybrid doing less than 1,000 miles a year. I have quite a few short but sometimes steep hills around where I live. Just for fun one day, I decided to go to one of the worst hills in my region, a 650ft climb in one mile (avg. 12%, 15%+ for half a mile, with the middle reaching 20%). By the second half I was gasping and wheezing like crazy, practically falling over the handlebars, mashing the pedals around at barely 35RPM with severe tunnel vision. I think some of the people around me thought I was about to fall off and die any second. Somehow, I completed the hill, but I felt like simply falling off into the verge would be far more pleasant than riding to the top. Don't think anyone should feel ashamed if they had to walk up that hill.
I wouldn't consider 28t/31t low gearing; not at all. (And I've never heard of a 31t cassette. Are you sure it's not 30 or 32?)
Old 09-11-23, 11:41 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Brett A
I wouldn't consider 28t/31t low gearing; not at all.
What about fairly low gearing? At least for a road bike.
Old 09-11-23, 11:42 AM
Brett A
Word.

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Orbea Oiz XCountry Bike, Specialized Roubaix, Borealis Echo Fat Bike for Winter, many others out in the barn.

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
When I had a coach, he would get pissed because my power and HR would be too high on hills for the workout he prescribed.

He told me to "walk them"

No shame in my ego for walking a very steep hill. SOmewhere around 3 mph, I considere walking.
So true. So much of training is about going easier, not harder. It sounds counter intuitive, but it's how it's done. Depending on your local terrain, you can end up walking up hills and attacking the downhills to keep yourself in that target range. Having the terrain determine your HR isn't always the most beneficial if you're trying to improve conditioning, But that's
Old 09-11-23, 12:11 PM
Brett A
Word.

Originally Posted by PeteHski
What about fairly low gearing? At least for a road bike.
Okay, I'll agree to "fairly low for a road bike"
That just wouldn't do for me. I just like to keep my heart rate down, relax and make the pedals go around, especially in the mountains.
Likes For Brett A:
Old 09-12-23, 07:05 AM
HectorStorm

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Brett A
I wouldn't consider 28t/31t low gearing; not at all. (And I've never heard of a 31t cassette. Are you sure it's not 30 or 32?)
I've looked again and it's 32. So 28/32.

Last edited by HectorStorm; 09-12-23 at 07:09 AM.
Old 09-12-23, 08:51 AM
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives

Location: Throughout the west in a van, on my bike, and in the forest

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker with BRIFTERS!

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 39 Posts
It is ok to walk DOWN steep hills, too! I have horrible visions of my cables snapping and riding downhill at sportscar type speeds while I am frozen with fear, can't even steer properly, and end up going over the side because I can't make it at a haripin!