Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Ever been mistaken for a low life?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-07, 06:10 PM
anastrophe
practically invincible.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by deputyjones
How many people have mistaken you for someone who is riding a bike not because you choose to do so, but because you don't have a drivers license or something?
Huh. So if I have a college degree and a cushy paying job, but I don't have a drivers license and choose to ride a bike instead, am I a low-life too?
Old 01-08-07, 06:20 PM
vrkelley
Enjoy

Bikes: Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Funny story, but it brings up a good point. How many people have mistaken you for someone who is riding a bike not because you choose to do so, but because you don't have a drivers license or something? Personally, I love it, and find it hilarious. How about you?
Well 'mixups' seem to occur when they see me in foul weather!
Old 01-08-07, 06:34 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Most drivers that are not cyclists think you can't get a liscence for some reason, if you are not in a college town. DUI, no money, or some kind of handicap. If you ride a trike of any kind they think you have a balance problem.
They really don't think about bicycles much. Even when they pass you they don't think about you much.
They don't care. Unless you slow them down.
Old 01-08-07, 06:44 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by CrosseyedCrickt
pft, I AM a lowlife
and I type that as I sit here in my grease stained wifebeater drinking a pabst and smoking some generic cigs

I've had people yell things at me out their car windows, in fact it happened today but I just laughed it off
even made a thread here once about someone yelling at me something to the matter that "if I hadn't broken the law I'd still have a drivers license"
And wasn't it you that came back with the classic "yeah and I don't need a stick to wipe my butt"?

Contender for post of the year 2006, that one.
Old 01-08-07, 07:14 PM
CrosseyedCrickt
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
And wasn't it you that came back with the classic "yeah and I don't need a stick to wipe my butt"?

Contender for post of the year 2006, that one.
yup, same thread even
ahhh the memories of that incident....
Old 01-08-07, 07:16 PM
Portis
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been called one many times, but never mistaken for one.
Old 01-08-07, 07:41 PM
rs_woods

Bikes: Trek T80, Trek SU200, Trek SU100, Giant Bowery

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kids at the skate park think I'm a homeless lady, despite the fact that I am very much a male (with facial hair and everything) and ride a $500 trek and wear designer clothing (hey, I just quit working at a department store. It was the discounts, the discounts!). They holler cuss words & stuff at me but if any one of them comes close they'll get my U-lock in the teeth.
Old 01-08-07, 07:57 PM
HereNT
無くなった

Bikes: I built the Bianchi track bike back up today.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As new coworkers come in, they usually take a few months to figure out that I really don't have any interest in cars. Or even getting a ride home in a blizzard or thunderstorm.

They eventually figure out that the bicycle is pretty much a tool that enables me to have more money and party more than they can. The funny thing is that they're all 'I could never do that.' It's not like it's hard.

Living in mpls probably helps - people are used to seeing crazy bikers of all kinds pretty much year round.
Old 01-08-07, 08:11 PM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
I'm haven't been mistaken for a low life, just wearing a bicycle helmet usually elevates one's status in my area.

Last edited by dynodonn; 01-08-07 at 10:24 PM.
Old 01-08-07, 08:21 PM
RomSpaceKnight

Bikes: Devinci Taos, Mielle Alpha

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I get mistaken for a "poor" person all the time. Till people get to know that I just a weirdo who prefers to ride a bike than drive a car. I make 60,000$ a year and own a 200,000$ home yet I don't own a car. A big fast red motorcycle and two 1500$ bicycles though. I have had non-regulars at local pup yell out "Get a real job" as I lock my bike to the patio. They usually drive of in an early 80's bucket of a pickup in need of a tuneup, muffler and ring job. I'm a single bachelor I could have a huge SUV or even a beemer. I love the disposable income not owning a car gives you. 5000$ a year to piss up against the wall buying toys and good times.
Old 01-08-07, 08:28 PM
capejohn

Bikes: Giant easy e, Priority Onyx, Scott Sub 40, Marin Belvedere Commuter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
On a very early morning commute, I saw a man standing next to his bike. He was about 60 yards away. As I neared, I noticed he was in his early twenty's, longish hair and a little unkempt. Just as I came along side of him, from behind, he was mounting his bike. I asked. "You ok, need any help or tools." He jumped a bit, took a quick look at me and ate his cigarette.

"I'm fine", he said.

As I passed him, I caught the distinct aroma of pot and said to him, "Just having your morning tea?" And rode off.

So my answer is, I don't look like a vagrant, I look more like a cop.
Old 01-08-07, 08:34 PM
HereNT
無くなった

Bikes: I built the Bianchi track bike back up today.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by capejohn
So my answer is, I don't look like a vagrant, I look more like a cop.
Crap - I forgot about that. I've had a few times when I was looking for a place to stop and have a beer and a smoke (nicotine) on a late night ride and surprised vagrants. They (different people at different times) thought I was a cop because of all my flashing blinkers! They're usually cool once I crack a beer and start chatting...
Old 01-08-07, 08:54 PM
ax0n
Trans-Urban Velocommando

Bikes: 06 Trek 1200 - 98 DB Outlook - 99 DB Sorrento

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride in jeans and a hoodie most of the time when it's chilly out, and I've gotten looks as if I'm pseudo homeless and/or convicted of DUI or something. I'd imagine if I looked OCP people would probably think "oh. fatzo bike fairy. someone give me a spork so I can gouge my eyes out!" instead of "I'd bet that guy has had a crappy life." or "Hey, it's a bike messenger!"

I really don't care. I make more money than they think I do -- As a matter of fact, I probably make more than most of the chubby cagers that point and laugh at me. And if I don't, I'm at least getting fit instead of corn-fed.
Old 01-08-07, 09:21 PM
TomM

Bikes: Surly SteamRoller

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 30 Posts
I get sneaky glances from people at work. Personally I don't care what others may think of me.
Old 01-08-07, 09:27 PM
Golf XRay Tango
Lurker extraordinaire

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't had anyone call me a lowlife (to my face). I did have one lady sing out "you don't pay any tax" when she pulled up next to me at a light.

I asked her to be my accountant, since I paid over $50K last year, and wouldn't mind getting some of it back. I don't think she caught my reply, since she'd returned to her regularily scheduled daze.
Old 01-08-07, 09:34 PM
donnamb 
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
If you ride a trike of any kind they think you have a balance problem.
I can't help but wonder what they think of Bailey. Rear gunner, perhaps?

I guess there is something to be said for looking very much like a frumpy, middle class female with my purple windbreaker and my braid hanging out of my helmet down my back. I don't get mistaken for the women on bikes who look like they were ridden hard and put away wet or the women hipsters, so I experience a minimal amount of botheration.

My housemate is 10 years my junior, looks somewhat hipsterish, and rides a lovely, old Univega. She gets so much more crap than I do.
Old 01-09-07, 01:38 AM
deputyjones
Striving for Fredness

Bikes: Old Giant Rincon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by anastrophe
Huh. So if I have a college degree and a cushy paying job, but I don't have a drivers license and choose to ride a bike instead, am I a low-life too?
Yeah, I tried to word that so I did not offend the car free crowd, but apparenly I failed. My apologies to you, and I never intended to call anyone a low life just because they choose to not have a drivers license. In face, my hats off to you as I don't have the guts to go car free just yet. Although given my profession I will always need to maintain a valid driver's license (hmmm...retirement goal perhaps?)
Old 01-09-07, 02:15 AM
The Figment
The Wheel is Turning

Bikes: '05 Novara (REI) Bonanza

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by banzai_f16
I just moved to TX 1 week ago (so far I hate it...)

This city (San Antonio) seems to be built for cars more than anywhere else I've lived. EVERYONE drives EVERYWHERE. The average person here can probably get away with taking less than 200 steps in a day. I feel like walking is a form of social protest.

I've definitely got the "low life" vibe whilst riding my bike. I rode to a little cafe the other day, and as I was chaining up my bike to go inside, the conversation stopped at all the near tables and they just stared like I had grown a second head.

I don't get this place...really I don't.
Onward Thru The Fog!! You need to go check out Austin,Bad traffic,but many ways to avoid most of it on the side streets,Lots to do,and NOT San Antonio!!
Old 01-09-07, 02:21 AM
RomSpaceKnight

Bikes: Devinci Taos, Mielle Alpha

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had a psycho guy off his meds hit me over the head with a bottle cause he thought I looked like an MTB cop in my blue windbreaker and dark helemt. Lucky I was wearing a helmet. It took 5 cops to get him in paddy wagon for trip to LPH (London Psychiatric Hospital, Highbury Hilton). They were trying not to hurt him but for a little guy he put up one heck of a fight.
Old 01-09-07, 02:32 AM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
THere are so many cyclists in SO Cal; they are not surprised to see us milling about. BUt, that does not mean that many a motorist hate us.
Old 01-09-07, 06:17 AM
Sammyboy
The Legitimiser

Bikes: Gazelle Trim Trophy, EG Bates Track Bike, HR Bates Cantiflex bike, Nigel Dean fixed gear conversion, Raleigh Royal, Falcon Westminster.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Here, bikes are mostly ridden by people in low paying factory jobs - or at least that's who I mostly pass on the bike paths at commute time. Those guys are all wearing a greasy/dirty hi-vis, big workboots, and riding a cheap MTB, so I don't generally look like them. I've not noticed too much judgement, to be honest.
Old 01-09-07, 07:19 AM
substructure
RustyTainte

Bikes: zilch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not me. I'm too friggin good looking to be considered anything but a pro at the highest level on a training ride.

i hope this "power of positive thinking" thing really works

you ARE a good cyclist
you ARE a good cyclist
you ARE a good cyclist
Old 01-09-07, 07:42 AM
Saintly Loser

Bikes: Nothing special, but it works.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never been mistaken for a lowlife, at least not since I turned 40. But then, here in New York, it's perfectly normal not to own a car. And I ride my bike to work dressed in a suit and tie. Really, I don't get a second look. My co-workers who know how I get to work think it's fine. They think I'm a fitness nut sometimes, which is pretty far from the truth, but that's as bad as it gets.
Old 01-09-07, 07:50 AM
anastrophe
practically invincible.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I tried to word that so I did not offend the car free crowd, but apparenly I failed. My apologies to you, and I never intended to call anyone a low life just because they choose to not have a drivers license. In face, my hats off to you as I don't have the guts to go car free just yet. Although given my profession I will always need to maintain a valid driver's license (hmmm...retirement goal perhaps?)
Sorry here too, I was a bit jumpy. I get mistaken for a college student all the time--my coworkers think I'm totally nuts but when they start telling me about what I'm missing out on by not having a car, I just respond with "...and I don't have to pay car insurance."
Old 01-09-07, 07:58 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by donnamb
I can't help but wonder what they think of Bailey. Rear gunner, perhaps?
This is how Bailey sees himself......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.